Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aquaman

• 20-07-2018 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭

Teaser for the trailer which is out tomorrow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Comic con trailer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I liked aquamen in the batman movie ;)

But this looks like absolute muck - People riding sharks into battle!!!

I'm actually annoyed over that!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The CGI war bit looks retarded the more low key moments actually look decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

^^ Agreed. The "above water" bits look far better than the CGI-fest underwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

There’s a thread in After Hours at the moment asking “when did you say you were too old for this Sh!t” Think I had my moment when I saw lads riding sharks and crocodiles into battle in that trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I had low expectations, or interest, before watching this, and they remain low. Maybe even a little lower in fact. That looked like generic garbage tbh. A warmed-up mish mash of Thor & Game of Thrones, with the same sh*tty CGI the DC movies continue to demonstrate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I like Mamoa but that looks awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It looks terrible - not that I had particularly high hopes prior to this. I hope I'm proved wrong and it gets a great response once it's released, but I won't be buying a ticket based on that trailer.

Shazam! however looks fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had low expectations, or interest, before watching this, and they remain low. Maybe even a little lower in fact. That looked like generic garbage tbh. A warmed-up mish mash of Thor & Game of Thrones, with the same sh*tty CGI the DC movies continue to demonstrate.

What did you see that made you think it was a rip off of Thor and GoT? If it's the brothers at war /reluctant King story, that is straight from the comics. Overdone in general yes, but if something is being true to its source I do feel it's harsh to dismiss it in the way you are doing.

CGI looked fine to me. James Wan knows what he's doing in that regard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This looks so ridiculous it might actually be fun - unlike um, nearly everything else the DCEU has produced to date.

Wish they'd lose the Snyder-inspired aesthetics though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

There's only one Aquaman movie. The 2006 James Cameron version starring Vincent Chase

entourage-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Asylum has to be involved with this :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

this looks great fun tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Glad to see Khal Drogo did a John Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

There’s a thread in After Hours at the moment asking “when did you say you were too old for this Sh!t” Think I had my moment when I saw lads riding sharks and crocodiles into battle in that trailer.

All that trailer made me do was roll my eyes and think...

16t6nj.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's Aquaman ... it was always going to look ridiculous under water.
    But ... it might be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Ye I just can't see how in the hell they are ever going to pull Aquaman off,
    Its just going to flop , Its one of those that is ok in comics but utterly stupid in the real life,
    Any of the scenes under water look awful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This looks ... Not good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What did you see that made you think it was a rip off of Thor and GoT? If it's the brothers at war /reluctant King story, that is straight from the comics. Overdone in general yes, but if something is being true to its source I do feel it's harsh to dismiss it in the way you are doing.

CGI looked fine to me. James Wan knows what he's doing in that regard.

I only meant it as a shorthand for how derivative the trailer made the film appear. I know it's all from the comics, but the problem is what I'd call "the John Carter effect", whereby an adapted property may predate, or be the progenitor of other IPs, but by coming out after the fact risks appearing derivative and unoriginal.

I don't think it's overly hash anyway: for all intents and purposes this is DC's first post-Justice League film, and a fair barometer of how smart their "team up first, separate films after" tactic really was. Without the crutch of Wonder Woman, Superman or Batman, it's going to be an interesting case to see if audiences take an interest in what amounts to the 2nd tier of heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

If you can't wait until December, there's an Aquaman film available to watch right now, with its official release on July 31st...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A new 5 minute extended trailer.

Wow! :eek:

That's hilarious!
    I coulda peed on it
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Seems to be a lot of elements from Johns' run, which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

This... this actually makes me feel hope, for the DCEU as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

jaxxx wrote: »
    This... this actually makes me feel hope, for the DCEU as a whole.

Ah C'mon now :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This looks appalling... and I mean it literally *looks* appalling, as if every single frame - even the simple dialogue ones - has been render farmed to death. I mean, sure, some CG comes with the territory... but this goes well beyond that to the point where it’s actively distractingly fake-looking.

Maybe it’d look a touch better on the big screen, but those trailers are ugly as all hell on a small one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

This looks appalling... and I mean it literally *looks* appalling, as if every single frame - even the simple dialogue ones - has been render farmed to death. I mean, sure, some CG comes with the territory... but this goes well beyond that to the point where it’s actively distractingly fake-looking.

Maybe it’d look a touch better on the big screen, but those trailers are ugly as all hell on a small one.

You're the expert Johnny but I feel farmed is an unfair word to use. Didn't get the distracting fake looking vibes myself anyway even if the visuals are a 180 from what we're used to in the DCEU. If any property should be full of colour it should be Aquaman to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I actually thought that rooftop scene in the trailer was bloody marvelous.

And also; someone said full colour.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DorRu4NUwAA8ame.jpg:orig

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That looks awful, absolutely awful. That guy with the big red eyes looked like something out of Power Rangers, the funny bits weren't funny and the underwater stuff looks crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Fun looking trailer, but that chase sequence on the roof needs a lot of work. It clearly looks like a green screen set.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I feel farmed is an unfair word to use.

A render farm is a very specific thing, so nothing unfair about it :)

I have no problem with a colourful film... I do have problems with films that look like they've been manipulated to the point where it primarily looks like a tech demo. Check out the extended dialogue scene in the cave/cavern in proper HD for an example of what I mean - it looks like two actors in front of a green screen, rather than a believable location. The lighting is off, and the direction only seems to draw attention to how artificial it all looks.

Aesthetics are a very subjective thing... but this, like Zack Snyder's films, simply appears to me to have been over-designed to death. These things sometimes look better on the big screen, granted, but wouldn't have a lot of interest in this film in the first place so unlikely to find out if that's the case for myself.

I should stress that going overboard with colour and image manipulation isn't always a bad thing - Mad Max: Fury Road is a great example of something that exists in a sort of neat hyper-reality.
    Falthyron wrote: »
    that chase sequence on the roof needs a lot of work. It clearly looks like a green screen set.

Perfect example of what I mean. Long, fluid action shots are best when you're left kinda stunned by the choreography and subtle trickery involved. The 'money' shot in that trailer primarily draws attention to its own 'fakeness', with its impossible camera movement and clearly heavily computerised environments. I'd liken it to the big chase scene in the Tintin movie, but that got away with it more because it's animated - this, to me, feels like it'd been more confident if it just went fully animated too.

I'm not convinced either; yes obviously a film about underwater cities necessiates CGI and FX but it all looks rubbery and stylised beyond believability. Those battle scenes are indecipherable and a HD mess of excessive detail (to quote Rick McCallum, the "screen is so dense"), while the floaty CGI hair is distracting. It wouldn't have betrayed the idea if they just had these things indoors.

The best parts were the desert / Indiana Jones esque sequences, but even that fell apart with the obviously digital "one take" (a gimmick that I wish they'd consign to the bin unless they're actually doing it "real"). There's no weight, no tangiblity, and so no sense of peril. And yup, Black Manta looks goofy as hell, I hope at least the script has the good sense to point that out.

I ... eh.. hold on.. this looks like a Superhero film.. :eek:

• Advertisement

That trailer music is really cool though.

Pretty sure this is it:

It's like a a suped up superhero version of the song (Enjoy The Silence by KI Theory) used for the Ghost in the Shell trailer:

Nope, hard pass from me; same reasons as already expressed, and anyway, the aqua-bro approach just rubs me up the wrong way. If the reviews all come back brimming with legitimate positivity I'll give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

The usual hyperbolic, glowing twitter reviews are in for this.

I'm not holding my breath. Get it? Holding my breath! Ha ha ha

My life is hollow and empty

First I was like..
    El Duda wrote: »
    Get it? Holding my breath! Ha ha ha
    Fishing for compliments? :D

Then I was like..

467007.jpg

El Duda wrote: »
    My life is hollow and empty
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hopefully they can pull together at least a watchable movie with this one.
    That said, the bar for that in the DCEU is a low one.
    The disappointment that came with Batman Vs Superman, Suicide Squad and Justice League will take some frankly ridiculously good DC movies to assuage.

• Advertisement

It has set a record for opening day in China with a $25m opening DC/WB are hoping for an $80m opening weekend in China.

$94m opening weekend in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

$94m opening weekend in China.
    I'll show my ignorance of the Chinese market, is that good or bad?

Well, there the https://www.boxofficemojo.com/ which shows numbers

Top films this year in America listed here:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2018&p=.htm
    Black Panther
    Avengers: Infinity War
    Incredibles 2

The total money they made in China was:
    $105m Black Panther - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=marvel2017b.htm
    $359m Avengers: Infinity War - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=marvel0518.htm
    $51m Incredibles 2 - https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=theincredibles2.htm

Grace talks about the market a bunch. The cavaet is that China can be difficult as the Government has a lot of control/say in what gets shown/what gets shown against it/how long it can show etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So anyone going to see this today? Might go see it myself tonight.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just back from it.

I liked it but I don't know if I'd feel like I need to see it again. It's a bit formulaic.

I have to say some of the locations are absolutely beautiful and really add to the sense of it being an adventure.

Trailers have given an awful lot of the big set pieces away, I think I would have been more impressed if I hadn't seen the trailers because the actual scenes are brilliantly done. My own fault really.

It's a good introduction for Aquaman though and there is a set up for the next film, although I can't say I'm really excited about the set up if I'm honest.

Just one post credits scene and it's fairly early as well so no need to wait around.

Better than Justice League and suicide squad. Not as good as Man of Steel, BvS ultimate cut or Wonder Woman would be my initial reaction.

Bit of a disclaimer on that : It's also fair to say I like MoS and BvS more than most :pac:

At the same time, I have a feeling it will go over better with audiences than all the other DC films bar Wonder Woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Not long back from seeing it. I thought it started quite slow and was not really a fan of the way it starts but then it does gets better.

There is a decent story to it and Aquaman as well some good action scenes too.

There is some parts to it I really did not like eg some of the language in it for instance I would not be a fan of. Maybe its not bad to say them things now but to me anyway I think its not something you want to be teaching a 12 year old. I know I was told that's bad to say at that age.
    There is not one main villain. There is two really both with their own reasons for what they are doing.
    There is a couple of nice twists in the film too.

Some of the location's both real and made up and scenes in this are spectacular and do look amazing. They are a feast for the eyes.

Maybe some might say it goes on a bit longer than it needed too but the last 40 or so minutes is worth the wait. I never looked at my watch the whole film do as it flew by. Did notice a person in front of me with their phone out do which was annoying.
    There is a mid credit scene after the film but as the poster above said that's it then.

I would give the film a 6 out of 10 I think.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's ok I guess, it has some very good set pieces and some funny dialogue but on the other hand, some of the dialogue and acting is really, really bad.
    the part where Wilem Dafoe was teaching teenager Aquaman how to use the trident was god awful

Jason Mamoa isn't the greatest actor around,he wasn't helped by some of the dialogue he had to work with and he had he's a bit awkward at times but he's very likeable and as the film goes on, he comes into his own, he has very good chemistry with Amber Heard as well. Patrick Wilson is pretty generic too, fairly run of the numbers type villain.

Some of the action scenes are good at times
    The scene where they are escaping the trench monster things was brilliant
    but there are other fight scenes that are incoherent
    Aquaman's fight with Orm and later with Black Manta in Sicily were both pretty badly done

It's a bit long as well, there's a lot of back stories and explaining going on and the whole story with
    Black Manta
    isn't all that great, having
    Black Manta as the main Antagonistic for the sequel
    doesn't appeal to me very much.

The saving grace of the film is that at least it offers something new with the whole underwater world, there's a bit more variety in the locations and the people and the CGI of the world they have created is pretty impressive. Compared to the trash CGI in Justice League and Themyscira in Wonder Woman, it's miles ahead. Justice League was depressingly bad, this film has a lot of heart (I know that's a cliche) and you get a sense of passion and love behind the film which I didn't get in most of the other DC films (bar Wonder Woman, even if it is highly over rated imo)

Not a spoiler but those Atlantis commandos looked like something out of Power Rangers, they were a bit comical really

Just back from 3D IMAX in Cineworld.

It's a pretty decent return from where DC had found themselves. None of the dodgy dark feeling special effect. This time James Wan used the computing power for some pretty cool set pieces. OH MAN THAT SCENE
    IN THE TRENCH!
    :eek: I don't think I've seen many James Wan scenes but from what I know,
    he does horror well
    . I can see that! :)

I thought the fights were alright and for some reason
    Nicole Kidmans asswhooping early on the film seemed to stand out for me.. as it did in the trailer.

The story was straight forward, the acting was alright.
    It was the directing that brought out the best in the film. It went through the weaker parts fast and gave some of the stronger moments a real kick.

Technicalities: The film doesn't need to be seen in 3D... BUT.. a good set of speakers or subwoofers that can do the bass was cool for
    the scenes with the trident WOM WOM.. WOM WOM
    :) There's the mid credits scene. It'll give a clue for the future.

Overall, the film delivered a Super-Hero origin story and looks to be the start.. maybe.. of steadying the DC boat.
    AMKC wrote: »
    Some of the location's both real and made up and scenes in this are spectacular and do look amazing. They are a feast for the eyes.

Maybe some might say it goes on a bit longer than it needed too but the last 40 or so minutes is worth the wait.

Agreed! The time flew for me.. compared to the half a million ads shown by the cinema before the film WHICH TOOK FOR-BLEEDIN-EVER!

• Advertisement
Advertisement