Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing out blonde hair

Options
  • 20-07-2018 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I have highlighted blonde hair and would like to return a natural shade. I'm wondering what should I say to the hairdresser? I don't want dark roots so I think I should continue getting them touched up. Should I ask for lo-lites? Or is there a toner they can use to darken it? It will obviously take about a year to grow out completely

Thank you for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Try to be clear about what you want to achieve.
    You want to return to a natural shade but don’t want dark roots?
    If you struggle to express your wishes clearly, google some images to help you explain what you like/dislike.

I can’t see your hair but I’m wondering if you’ve been getting bleach highlights for a while and that overall your hair now looks very blonde? If so, a few lowlights can break it up a bit.

Maybe going forward, you’d prefer a more natural looking highlight effect using a balayage technique? A lot of hairdressers are only so so at balayage so you might need to try someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Depends on how much highlights are already in your hair, is it a full head, half head or t-bar? Is there much of a contrast between your coloured hair and your natural hair?
    I would advise speaking with your hairdresser - you certainly wouldn't be the first to want to grow out hair colour. Your hairdresser could do finer scattered highlights with a more natural colour through it to phase out the lighter colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pearl348

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Depends on how much highlights are already in your hair, is it a full head, half head or t-bar? Is there much of a contrast between your coloured hair and your natural hair?
    I would advise speaking with your hairdresser - you certainly wouldn't be the first to want to grow out hair colour. Your hairdresser could do finer scattered highlights with a more natural colour through it to phase out the lighter colour.

Hi its a a full head of highlights that I usually get, now the last time I was there just got a T bar. So I'm thinking of just getting the T bar done from now on until the rest grows out and asking the them for a darker highlight at the top. I hope that won't look weird. My natural hair would be a light ashy brown, so don't really want very light hair at the top and dark underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pearl348

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    Try to be clear about what you want to achieve.
    You want to return to a natural shade but don’t want dark roots?
    If you struggle to express your wishes clearly, google some images to help you explain what you like/dislike.

I can’t see your hair but I’m wondering if you’ve been getting bleach highlights for a while and that overall your hair now looks very blonde? If so, a few lowlights can break it up a bit.

Maybe going forward, you’d prefer a more natural looking highlight effect using a balayage technique? A lot of hairdressers are only so so at balayage so you might need to try someone else.

I currently get a highlight and lo-light that is natural enough but still very blonde. What I ultimately want is basically my natural hair with maybe a few light highlights going through.

Advertisement