Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think all psychics/mediums are fake?

• 20-07-2018 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭

Anyone can claim to be a psychic or medium. There aren't any regulations regarding who can and cannot claim to be one and there are a lot of people out there who feed off the vulnerabilities of others for a quick buck.

But do you believe there are genuine people out there who have a 6th sense, third eye, are sensitive to other worlds or energies and that these individuals get drowned out by the con artists?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I believe it is all 100% fake. Charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I believe the ones who have made millions by predicting the movements of the stock market are real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Regulations? For what? Fairycraft?
    Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Anyone can claim to be a psychic or medium. There aren't any regulations regarding who can and cannot claim to be one and there are a lot of people out there who feed off the vulnerabilities of others for a quick buck.

But do you believe there are genuine people out there who have a 6th sense, third eye, are sensitive to other worlds or energies and that these individuals get drowned out by the con artists?

I'm the seventh son of a seventh son and am able to ....... oh my pizza's here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Con artists that prey on vulnerable people and idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can see into the future. For example, I can tell that this thread will be crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

if they were real then why don't they help the police with missing people, murders etc or why can't they predict the lotto numbers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I saw this coming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes. Next.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Unforeseen losses force Irish Psychics Live into liquidation :pac:

It should be funny except it's not because the founders took the money and ran.
    The premium phone line business was established in 1998 and built up a large cash pile over the years before Mr Higgins and his wife Theresa Dunne cashed out in 2009, sharing a dividend payout of €9 million.
    €805,714 was owed to Revenue through €479,332 in corporation tax, €191,407 in VAT and €134,975 in PAYE/PRSI.

The firm had net liabilities totalling €809,956.

the directors have not filed any accounts in over two years

Firm is fined over unsolicited messages they made scam calls to over 160,000 people too - IIRC in the US that's wire fraud and serious jail time

IMHO low lifes preying on the desparate and gulible :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Yes. And I know this to be 100% certain because I am psychic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yeah I think some people are tuned in differently

I expect to be lambasted for this utterance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The psychics or mediums that still work 9-5 to pay the bills intrigue me the most. Its almost as if they know deep down that they don't really believe their own thoughts and that, once the bills are paid from the office job, they can have a hobby they enjoy and start to read up on the supernatural etc to reinforce the illusion that they have psychic power.

A lot of groups out there who investigate so called haunted properties etc and the range of titles can get ludicrous (psychic channeler, artistic medium and so on!). A lot of these people seem slightly unstable in their personal life and they cling to the psychic thing to boost their self esteem but literally anyone can claim to be anyone and they never need to prove it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Anyone remember the Will Smith windup on that psychics phone in show from a few years ago? Quality entertainment that was.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's a video to go with this, if you want to look for it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49169472/ns/technology_and_science-security/t/belgian-psychic-gets-your-private-info-internet/
    The volunteers are brought into a white tent. Inside sits a wise-looking, long-haired man in late middle age who calls himself Dave. He says he's a psychic.

You tell Dave your name. He hugs you and lays his hands on you. Then you and he sit down and he starts telling you things no stranger should know : your address, your romantic situation, your children's names, your medical history, how much you're selling your house for, your shopping habits, your bank balance.

You're amazed. You can't believe this guy knows so much about you. You can't understand how he does it.

Then Dave reveals his trick.
    A curtain comes down, and there's a room full of researchers on computers looking for your personal details online, feeding everything they find to Dave through a hidden earpiece.

As you sit there in shock, a TV screen displays the words: "Your entire life is online. And it might be used against you. Be vigilant."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have seem all sorts, in many countries, over the years and I remain firmly unconvinced there is anything to mediums, psychics, faith healers, possessors of cures, shamen, spirit guides, angel healing, tarot readers etc.
    My father was the seventh son of a seventh son and he too thought any claims to cures were praying on the gullible.

We all feel a sense of something for time to time (forboding, deja vu, et al) but most times we're wrong. Some people claim to have seen spirits or angels or flashes of images from the past but it's just a fertile imagination or a deliberate attempt to deceive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

There is an oriental lady I know that has a knack for anticipating all kinds of strange anomalies. Each time I pull her up on it is she goes shhhh “woman’s intuition” and just disappears into the night.... leaves me flabbergasted every time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yes, they are all frauds. But in saying that, I visited a medium years ago who insisted that there was someone in my family history named Rita. Only problem? There was no one in my family history named Rita or anything similar. So it was a solid "no" from me. And your typical psychic/medium would back off at this point. Not this lady. Instead, she doubled down and insisted that there was a Rita in my life, even if I didn't know about her. The only reason I remember this conversation is because she was so adamant there was a Rita and wouldn't let it go.

In 2016, we learned who my father's birth parents were. His mother's name was Rita. She had died several years before I visited this medium. There was literally no way this woman could have known that information, so it was a pure coincidence. But what a coincidence!

We all feel a sense of something for time to time (forboding, deja vu, et al) but most times we're wrong. Some people claim to have seen spirits or angels or flashes of images from the past but it's just a fertile imagination or a deliberate attempt to deceive.
    Humans are very good at extrapolating patterns from incomplete data. And remembering events around stuff that "worked", even if by coincidence.

You are only alive because for the last 500,000,000 years your ancestors were able to avoid danger and find food and mates by recognising patterns. It's been hardwired into the survivors.

Stuff that doesn't get you killed will also be valued because hey, it didn't kill you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Some people undoubtedly have psychic abilities but most who claim they have these abilities and charge money for their services are charlatans.

My Prophesy is that this thread will repeat most of the same points as this thread "Why do women believe in Psychics?" Just perhaps with a more gender-neutral aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

mickrock wrote: »
    Some people undoubtedly have psychic abilities but most who claim they have these abilities and charge money for their services are charlatans.

There is no proof of anyone ever having psychic ability. It's all a crock of $hit.

Google "James Randi million dollar challenge..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

KaneToad wrote: »
    There is no proof of anyone ever having psychic ability. It's all a crock of $hit.

Google "James Randi million dollar challenge..."

And James Randi is one of the reasons that magicians like Derren Brown or Penn & Teller incorporate false or semi-false reveals into their acts to dispell any notions of magical or spiritual abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think it's just laughable that anyone colud think there is such a thing as a real psychic. Do you realise how many other things you'd logically have to believe in in addition to believing in a psychic which are even more outlandish than believing in a physic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Small medium at large...

(she didn't see that coming)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I can tell through my powers of discernment that you very likely live in Ireland.

How do I do this?

Not telling.

Humans are very good at extrapolating patterns from incomplete data. And remembering events around stuff that "worked", even if by coincidence.

You are only alive because for the last 500,000,000 years your ancestors were able to avoid danger and find food and mates by recognising patterns. It's been hardwired into the survivors.

Stuff that doesn't get you killed will also be valued because hey, it didn't kill you...

I agree with most of the things in this post except the 500,000,000 years. The dinosaurs died out around 65,000,000 years ago. There definitely weren't any humans 500,000,000 years ago. Otherwise, I agree.

• Advertisement

I agree with most of the things in this post except the 500,000,000 years. The dinosaurs died out around 65,000,000 years ago. There definitely weren't any humans 500,000,000 years ago. Otherwise, I agree.

More like 5-7m years ago for humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

It doesn’t matter whether you believe in it or not. What does scientific testing and evidence tell us? Does it stand up to solid critical analysis?

Spoiler alert - don’t believe in anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

mickrock wrote: »

Undoubtedly? Nobel prize available.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What does belief have to do with it?

They are fake regardless of your beliefs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If psychics, mediums, soothsayers etc. were real, they could do so much good in the world. They could predict plane crashes, for example, and warn the airline before the plane takes off. Instead, they pick "soft targets" - vulnerable people - knowing that wishful thinking and confirmation bias are powerful psychological traits.

I see it in religions too e.g. the Church of Scientology makes claims that are firmly in the realm of the supernatural e.g. complete an expensive course and you will enjoy complete mastery over space and time ... :rolleyes:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

100% BS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

What were the ancestors of humans though? And their ancestors? We were all living in trees at one point, and before that we were living in burrows, and before that we were swimming in the sea...

Think about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I've convinced my 'kids' Im psychic, but mostly its cause I know kids.

*Tho I love the therapy of a good reading but feel bad for ppl who see these and believe, only to go back and be disappointed.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Advertisement