Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?

• 20-07-2018 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

Junkies everywhere and so many beggers it makes New York before Giuliani look mild. Plus a health service that genuinely makes me ashamed to be Irish, but I suppose that's a nationwide thing and not just Dublin.

I'm back in it and in shock after 15 months living in London, a city known for been quite rough in parts too. But it looks like a Summer's day in Florence compared to Dublin.

"Fair City" my arse.

Is Dublin an absolute kip? 353 votes

Yes
    0% 1 vote
    No
    99% 352 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,860 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Dublin Bikes are the only thing safe in the city, why I do not know, perhaps scangers need stabilizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Yes, it's why we have such a hard time attracting tourists and multinational corporations to the city. Bloody hell, even as a trolling attempt OP's post is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You came from the city of stabbings, acid attacks and yuff's on mopeds and say Dublin is worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

It's not as nice as it should be, when you come in along the quays it looks very grotty and this shouldn't be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well it's been at least 6 months since the last Dublerlin towen is a kip thread so I suppose we are due this :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

mikemac2 wrote: »
    You came from the city of stabbings, acid attacks and yuff's on mopeds and say Dublin is worse?

London population: 8 million
    Dublin city population: 500,000

So of course, statistically, London will have more incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Nope, any more questions?

By the way, you really should travel more...... just saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

At least Dublin isn't rife with acid attack's, and other ****e unlike merely old perfect London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your not even Irish are you. Zzzzz

MadDog76 wrote: »

By the way, you really should travel more...... just saying.

37 countries and counting.

And you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I know everyone on here likes to sneer at 'skangers', because it's always nice to have someone to look down upon, but Dublin has far bigger problems than anti-social behaviour. Too many cars, too many car parks in the city centre, too dangerous for cyclists, a serious lack of places to sit down. And then you've got an organisation like 'Dublin Town' - essentially a cabal of car park owners - constantly being cited in the media as an authority on civic spaces and transport infrastructure. Tourists seem to like it - it's not a 'kip', but it could be so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The Dublin Bikes are the only thing safe in the city, why I do not know, perhaps scangers need stabilizers.

To them any bike they see is part of a free sharing scheme and up for grab. Why bother with a basic and heavy Dublin bike which requires a fee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

In fairness its improved a lot, in the 80s it looked like Sarejevo after the Serb army shelled it.

mg1982 wrote: »
    In fairness its improved a lot, in the 80s it looked like Sarejevo after the Serb army shelled it.

I didn't see it in the 80s, but are you honestly saying there were more junkies and scum in the city centre compared to now? I find that hard to believe

I know everyone on here likes to sneer at 'skangers', because it's always nice to have someone to look down upon, but Dublin has far bigger problems than anti-social behaviour. Too many cars, too many car parks in the city centre, too dangerous for cyclists, a serious lack of places to sit down.

I wouldn’t call Dublin a kip, but any of the issues you are listing here would be way lower on my priority list compared to fixing problems with anti-social behaviour in the city (I am not a motorist and walk around the city centre a lot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

redblaze wrote: »
    I didn't see it in the 80s, but are you honestly saying there were more junkies and scum in the city centre compared to now? I find that hard to believe

I was talking more about the architecture lots of decaying buildings.

Its a fair point it needs better policing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No money to be made from sending a man down for a long stretch

Drag it out

Court appearance after court appearance

Pockets are lined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Allinall

London population: 8 million
    Dublin city population: 500,000

So of course, statistically, London will have more incidents.

Did you travel to any countries that could count?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

It's the dirty old town, I don't want my city becoming some hipster nerd paradise. Stay out! Gentrification will ruin this city.

Allinall wrote: »
    Did you travel to any countries that could count?

Google "population of ......" with both cities and they are the figures you get that pop up first.

The 1.9 million population for Dublin you might be thinking of covers *Greater* Dublin, as in parts of the counties surrounding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Can you be more specific?

Do we only include capital cities and what do you define as first world countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

One thing I've noticed particularly of late is the amount of trash on the side of the roads close to where I live. Certainly does make the place look like kip. Can't understand how people can just throw their rubbish out the window.

Dublin is fine. After reading recently about how all of Paris was knocked down and rebuilt from scratch in the 19th century, I'd be genuinely indifferent if they decided to knock most of Dublin city down in the next year and rebuild the city from scratch so that pedestrians and cyclists are prioritised. I'd also welcome the transfer of everybody on the housing list and on drugs to Ballymahon, Port Laoise or Spike Island, but other than that Dublin is grand - even quaint in some cobblestoned, cafè-filled areas.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    It's the dirty old town, I don't want my city becoming some hipster nerd paradise. Stay out! Gentrification will ruin this city.

Me neither. But I’m hoping* being a safe environment with no anti-social behaviour doesn’t require to be a hipster city!

* I am sure

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Compared to somewhere like Vienna it's a shíthole, a shíthole with a certain charm but a shíthole none the less. Too expensive, too gray and drab, too many junkies, too many anti-social kids, too much dog shít.. let's be honest if it didn't have a great pub life and friendly people it would be terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The real 'scum' (if we absolutely have to use that kind of dehumanising language) are the smooth-talking, influential business lobbyists like Richard Guiney, who treat the city centre not as a pedestrian/cyclist-friendly living space, like other cities, but as a great big money-spinner for hotels and car park owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Was this thread started by a bitter and twisted Culchie.
    Dublin isnt bad. Its a relatively friendly city, jobs are plentiful, tourists seem to love it ,people chat to each other.
    Every city has its ups and downs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Problem with these threads are they are always so reductionist in nature..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Junkies everywhere and so many beggers it makes New York before Giuliani look mild. Plus a health service that genuinely makes me ashamed to be Irish, but I suppose that's a nationwide thing and not just Dublin.

I'm back in it and in shock after 15 months living in London, a city known for been quite rough in parts too. But it looks like a Summer's day in Florence compared to Dublin.

"Fair City" my arse.

In answer to your question: no, not even close.

Of course if you dont like it here, you know what to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Having lived in Dublin for 4 long years, I can safely say I will never go back there except for the odd match.
    It's a dirty, dreary and frustrating city with serious issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Paris a dirty sh!t hole, domestic waste everywhere, strong smell of piss, rats, homeless drunk people everywhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Junkies everywhere and so many beggers it makes New York before Giuliani look mild.

"Fair City" my arse.

Oslo would be up there in the top five cities as quality of life goes. But you'll see as much if not more of 'the walking dead' about the place. Go visit if you don't believe me. Not condoning the situation in town of course, it unfairly makes the police in the city centre look like dumb f*cks and leaves a bad impression in a visitors mouth. I think it's a stretch to compare it with New York pre Guilliani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

No worse than the majority of major cities. Remember being shocked at how bad Paris and Barcelonas suburbs looked when I first drove into the city. There are kips in most cities. We just focus more on our own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

As someone , born and reared in the city , working right in the city centre , I fcukin' love it.

Damn right , it's not perfect but it's got lots going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

As someone , born and reared in the city , working right in the city centre , I fcukin' love it.

Damn right , it's not perfect but it's got lots going for it.

I'm the opposite, **** hole let's be honest about it, the inner city is a fúcking tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Should all the Culchies be expelled from Dublin ?
    No exceptions nurses ,guards, coppers attendees ,teachers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Why the city is not going up is beyond everybody but the landowners funding the political parties....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

37 countries and counting.

And you?

38....... this year..... so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭firemansam4

redblaze wrote:
    Google "population of ......" with both cities and they are the figures you get that pop up first.

redblaze wrote:
    The 1.9 million population for Dublin you might be thinking of covers *Greater* Dublin, as in parts of the counties surrounding it.

Yet the figures you got were for "Greater" London with a population of 8 million.

The population of Dublin city and county is 1.3 million.
    Greater dublin including some neighbouring counties is 1.9 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

TallGlass wrote: »
    I'm the opposite, **** hole let's be honest about it, the inner city is a fúcking tip.

All the inner city ?
    I've friends living in the city centre in the some of the original artisan houses , amazing looking properties with a sense of pride in their communities.
    Parts of the city are ruined , without doubt but still lots of lovely areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Whilst I wouldn't say it's a kip, it sure is a multinational tax haven where trickle down economics isn't working. No one in my generation will be fit to purchase a home in an area that suits them family wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

All the inner city ?
    I've friends living in the city centre in the some of the original artisan houses , amazing looking properties with a sense of pride in their communities.
    Parts of the city are ruined , without doubt but still lots of lovely areas.

Anywhere I go it's just filthy and can see dirt all around, and once or twice seen people robbed.

Gaspode wrote: »

Of course if you dont like it here, you know what to do!

Do you honestly think that's how real life works?

Yet the figures you got were for "Greater" London with a population of 8 million.

Not intentional. They are the first figures that come up for both cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Italian cities I found not that inviting either to be honest.

Rome looks a far bigger kip heading in from the airport than Dublin. You'd think you were about to be mugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

We also need injection centres and more methadone clinics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Do you honestly think that's how real life works?

Actually, no.

What happens is you get banned, thread gets deleted, and then your return as a .Brand. New. Poster.

All the inner city ?

The vast majority of the inner city is a cesspit of scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Do you want to avoid undesirable types 100% in Dublin, quite an undertaking as matters force you into the city for whatever reason.

You're born, you take ****.
    You get out in the world, you take more ****.
    You climb a little higher, you take less ****.
    Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what **** even looks like.
    Welcome to the layer cake son.

• Advertisement
Advertisement