Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

We also need injection centres and more methadone clinics

Yes but put them on the fúcking Isle Of Man or something.

We must be one of the only major capital cities in the world that encourage all their junkies to come into town to get their meth fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

As someone who visited last summer, I loved Dublin. I didn't get a chance to scope every inch of the city, but I also didn't confine myself to the major touristy areas. Dublin has both grit and charm. It never felt pretentious. It wasn't the prettiest city I've ever seen, but it's vibrant and friendly. I'd love to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

redblaze wrote: »

We must be one of the only major capital cities in the world that encourage all their junkies to come into town to get their meth fix.

The city center belongs to them as much as it does you or I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The vast majority of the inner city is a cesspit of scumbags.

Nah , it's not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Google "population of ......" with both cities and they are the figures you get that pop up first.

The 1.9 million population for Dublin you might be thinking of covers *Greater* Dublin, as in parts of the counties surrounding it.

Surrounding counties like Fingal, Dun Laoighre Rathdown and South Dublin? Added to Dublin City you're at 1.35 million, all still in Dublin. Not counting Bray/Greystones, Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth, Clonee/Dunboyne all suburbs of Dublin for all of intents and purposes albeit in other counties and you're at 1.5 million.

It's the opposite , addicts are not encountered to travel into the city to attend clinics.The vast majority who attend city clinics and chemists live in the city.

The city center belongs to them as much as it does you or I

You're saying junkie meth scum who likely never paid a cent in tax in their lives and who make the capital city centre an absolute kip deserve to be in it as much as a PAYE/self employed person who's paying for their fix?

Would ya get the bleedin' boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Nah , it's not .

I'm wondering if your living in the same place to be honest.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I'm wondering if your living in the same place to be honest.

Originally from Kevin Street.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Surrounding counties like Fingal, Dun Laoighre Rathdown and South Dublin? Added to Dublin City you're at 1.35 million, all still in Dublin. Not counting Bray/Greystones, Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth, Clonee/Dunboyne all suburbs of Dublin for all of intents and purposes albeit in other counties and you're at 1.5 million.

Ok let's play silly semantics then. Greater London is 8,817,300

And?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Not counting Bray/Greystones, Leixlip/Celbridge/Maynooth,

Hold on a moment there now, that's Wicklow and Kildare! Not part of Dublin in anyway shape or form.

Ah that explains it. You're a "true blue" type wha'? ;)

Dublin could literally import 10 thousand extra criminals into it's city centre tomorrow and you'd still think the place was only lovely

Oliver Bond is around there? Wouldn't be the nicest of places. It's all well and good to go on about the Malahides, Dalkeys and Howths of Dublin, but Sherrif is like a tip at 7am in the morning, I would be will to guess the same about around Kevin St.

Sorry, but there are part and alot of parts of Dublin letting the side down, ignoring it is just playing dumb in my eyes.

Now would it be in the top 10... Not to sure, we don't have as many scammers on the street that I can see, we import a few of them and we might be.

You're saying junkie meth scum who likely never paid a cent in tax in their lives and who make the capital city centre an absolute kip deserve to be in it as much as a PAYE/self employed person who's paying for their fix?

Shall we just cull everyone that doesn't pay 55% tax?

Shall we just cull everyone that doesn't pay 55% tax?

No of course not.

But if a law was passed tomorrow to drown all the Dublin junkies in the Liffey I'd be ok with it.

• Advertisement

No of course not.

But if a law was passed tomorrow to drown all the Dublin junkies in the Liffey I'd be ok with it.

That's literally one of the most inhumane things I have ever heard in my life.

Grow a nice square moustache for yourself there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Dublin does lean towards the kip side now - it wasn't always - it had charm in abundance and the rare oul times, it shares its level of kippiness with many European cities - a mixture of law and order breakdown, bad graffiti, homelessness and hipster cafes - and then the sameness - same chain stores and coffee shops - it's all a bit depressing. Thankfully I no longer call it home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Hey. Every time they buy a needle or tin foil they pay VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The scum in London is easier to avoid is it's concentrated around the outskirts and pockets of the inner city which don't really encroach upon the city centre, what also let's Dublin down in comparison is the 'village idiot mentality' of the place where you become somebody's business on account of them not liking your face, shape of your head, way you walk, dress sense etc, got far more stranger grief in Dublin than just about any other city.

Give me a tube carriage full of self-obsessed, introverted Londoners than some of the a**eholes I've encountered in Dublin any day of the week.

Hey. Every time they buy a needle or tin foil they pay VAT.

:pac:

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote: »
    Oliver Bond is around there? Wouldn't be the nicest of places. It's all well and good to go on about the Malahides, Dalkeys and Howths of Dublin, but Sherrif is like a tip at 7am in the morning, I would be will to guess the same about around Kevin St.

Sorry, but there are part and alot of parts of Dublin letting the side down, ignoring it is just playing dumb in my eyes.

Now would it be in the top 10... Not to sure, we don't have as many scammers on the street that I can see, we import a few of them and we might be.

I'm certainly not ignoring it or playing dumb , there's many problems to be addressed , an example made by another poster is the sameness of shop fronts of coffee shops, fast food restaurants and chainstores , some of those really need to be pulled down.

I'm not sure what your comparison with Oliver Bond and Kevin Street is , I've a couple of friends living there and a few from it , occasionally in the past I'd park my car in there or in the streets around it.
    It's a rough tough working class area , but there ya go

I wouldn't consider Dublin to be a "kip" as such but I also wouldn't consider it to be up there with other capitals in Europe.

I came back to Ireland a year ago, hadn't really been in Dublin for a decade or so before, and have been spending quite a bit of time in Dublin recently. It's interesting how the city has changed, and others areas have remained very much the same. TBH, I was quite shocked at how grimy/dirty the footpaths around the center were, and the amount of rubbish piled up in corners.. along with bins completely full.. Which would have been as I remembered Dublin of a decade ago... but I had thought with all the attention that Dublin receives, it's services would have been vastly improved... It seems like all the money was spent on rather superficial changes.

Still, it is a very pretty city in certain areas, while other areas are borderline dodgy. All within the area of the city center area...

So, as a capital city... It's a disappointment, but compared to other non-capital cities, it's above average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

All the inner city ?
    I've friends living in the city centre in the some of the original artisan houses , amazing looking properties with a sense of pride in their communities.

True enough, it's not where you live your life but how you live it. I'm from town originally, decamped to leafy Finglas as a teenager and now live somewhere half posh. This place has feck all community spirit compared to finglas or town. We used to have street parties every year in town. The police would come down and have a match with the older lads and we'd all be hopping around in bouncey castles full of sugar. None of that here, I know my immediate neighbours but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

Ah, it is a bit of a dirty kip to be fair. The problem of anti-social teen gangs is my biggest gripe more so than the zombie addicts that have infested the town. Public transport especially needs policing and a total overhaul in general. Most importantly, I'm sick of all the 'anto's, deco and his bird damo' with their two hundred convictions between them etc.
    the court system is a complete joke.

So, as a capital city... It's a disappointment, but compared to other non-capital cities, it's above average.

But the thing is, it *is* a capital city. That's the point of the thread.

As a capital city it makes me ashamed to be in it.

forward8 wrote: »
    Ah, it is a bit of a dirty kip to be fair. The problem of anti-social teen gangs is my biggest gripe more so than the zombie addicts that have infested the town. Public transport especially needs policing and a total overhaul in general. Most importantly, I'm sick of all the 'anto's, deco and his bird damo' with their two hundred convictions between them etc.
    the court system is a complete joke.

The "convictions" have nothing to do with the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

At least there isn't 20 pound bags of human excrement lying around the place like in San Francisco

Now there's a once great city gone to the dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Dublin has both grit and charm. It never felt pretentious. It wasn't the prettiest city I've ever seen, but it's vibrant and friendly. I'd love to go back.

That puts it better than I ever could.

=n!ghtmancometh;10757355 Bloody hell, even as a trolling attempt

Not trolling at all. It upsets me to see what Dublin city centre has become.

I've lived here most of my life and it just seems to get worse every 6 months.

Then leave... :D

It's not going to get better. Ireland had two major periods of economic success with loads of money to spend, and the money was wasted on crap, inefficiency, and corruption. I don't see much indication that things have improved any, so I fully expect the same thing to happen again, if money was to flow into Ireland once more.

So,... get out, and spend some time in other capitals.

• Advertisement

So,... get out, and spend some time in other capitals.

I might just have to for my own sanity.

Ireland had two major periods of economic success with loads of money to spend, and the money was wasted on crap, inefficiency, and corruption..

Genuinely curious what the other one was apart from the Celtic Tiger years.

The 80s were before my time so do you mean that? I thought unemployment was sky high back then?

I might just have to for my own sanity.

You're going to be disappointed though. Just a friendly warning. All those beautiful and well run cities are incredibly expensive to live in.... and all cities have a dirty/dodgy side to them once you explore past the tourist sites or government areas.

You need to look for place which have benefits to outweigh the negatives. I'm moving to a city of 17 million people. It's a really ugly city with pollution issues, but there are plenty of positives to make up for the negatives.

Some people just aren't suited to living in Dublin, or Ireland. And those left behind, won't miss you in the slightest (although your family might. A little). :pac::pac::pac:
    Genuinely curious what the other one was apart from the Celtic Tiger years.

The 80s were before my time so do you mean that? I thought unemployment was sky high back then?

Ahh, I tend to break the Celtic tiger into two chunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It''s funny that people here talk about other cities and claim they have less junkies, less crime, nicer architecture and nicer sights yet when I talk to tourists here (also have foreign family, who come here regularly) they rave about Dublin and its nice Georgian architectire, friendly people, nice pubs, beautiful parks and never mention junkies, crime, litter or problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You need to travel a bit more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Pretzill wrote: »
    Dublin does lean towards the kip side now - it wasn't always - it had charm in abundance and the rare oul times, it shares its level of kippiness with many European cities - a mixture of law and order breakdown, bad graffiti, homelessness and hipster cafes - and then the sameness - same chain stores and coffee shops - it's all a bit depressing. Thankfully I no longer call it home

I forgot about the sameness, it takes a lot away from the city actually, same useless small shops everywhere, how many Carrolls and Spars do we need? And then to add insult to injury to get to the handful of unique shops you had to traipse all over the city center on foot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Remember flying back in to Dublin years ago many times and thinking what a dirty old town, just the general dirtiness of the buildings etc - don't feel the same anymore but still a kip with all the beggars and drunks lined up and down O'Connell St and the bridge - great welcome to Dublin getting off the bus

I forgot about the sameness, it takes a lot away from the city actually, same useless small shops everywhere, how many Carrolls and Spars do we need? And then to add insult to injury to get to the handful of unique shops you had to traipse all over the city center on foot

Add those poxy "coffee shops" to that list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I didn't see it in the 80s, but are you honestly saying there were more junkies and scum in the city centre compared to now? I find that hard to believe

Heroin use was far higher in the 80s and early 90s.

• Advertisement

Having lived in Dublin for 4 long years, I can safely say I will never go back there except for the odd match.
    It's a dirty, dreary and frustrating city with serious issues.

Yeh but villagers like you would hate any city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Im well and truly amazed at the poll, almost 50-50... or is this just a country v city thing...
    However the city is judged I cant see it improving any time soon.The incompetent, corrupt and narrow minded nature of the people in power will see to that.

murpho999 wrote: »
    It''s funny that people here talk about other cities and claim they have less junkies, less crime, nicer architecture and nicer sights yet when I talk to tourists here (also have foreign family, who come here regularly) they rave about Dublin and its nice Georgian architectire, freindly people, nice pubs, beautiful parks and never mention junkies, crime, litter or problems.

That's actually really true, I dont think I've ever heard a tourist say a bad word about the city. The thing is for every junkie there's a passerby coming over asking if you need help with your map, for every grey featureless building there's a great session and those are the things that make a trip, but living in the city you dont really get to appreciate them

Add those poxy "coffee shops" to that list too.

Isn't it all doughnut shops now I hear?

Other week in work they were doing a donut run - I asked do they have plain old sugary jam donuts, the shock and horror I got. 2€ for a bit of dough - boom is back in Dublin

Im well and truly amazed at the poll, almost 50-50... or is this just a country v city thing...
    However the city is judged I cant see it improving any time soon.The incompetent, corrupt and narrow minded nature of the people in power will see to that.

Yes it’s culchies vs dubs.

I mean how do you think a cork man would vote?

• Advertisement

The city and county population is 1.3M.

http://www.dublinchamber.ie/business-agenda/about-dublin

Yes it’s culchies vs dubs.

I mean how do you think a cork man would vote?

Probably read this and think much the same
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/articles/city-expansion-culchies-guide-to-becoming-a-city-head-part-tureeee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭OEP

I've lived in Dublin for almost 10 years and I really like it and I have visited many cities. Certainly it has many issues, O'Connell street is ****, it's not the cleanest and the traffic isn't great but it is one of the most fun cities to be in. For a city of it's size, the nightlife is wonderful. The likes of Stockholm, Copenhagen, Zurich etc. are very clean and well run but they don't have the same buzz you get in Dublin.  I've never once in my 10 years had any trouble or felt unsafe. Between the Grand Canal and Dame Street is a really part of town.

You can go for a swim within a few miles of the city centre, go out to the mountains, rock climbing in Dalkey Quarry, sailing, etc. . Most people don't avail of these things and are missing out on a lot of what's great about Dublin.

The "tic" beside my eye just started again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Junkies everywhere and so many beggers it makes New York before Giuliani look mild.
    Want to venture a guess what the murder rate in early 1990s NY was? Want to take a guess what it is in Dublin over the last few years?

• Advertisement
Advertisement