Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I found Berlin to be quite shabby. Lisbon too, despite the pretty buildings.

Lisbon is very much a charming ancient run down though like many southern european old towns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ah come on. What word do you use to describe the people whose idea of craic is hurling verbal abuse and even physical violence at random passers-by for absolutely no reason, if you don't like us calling them "scum"?

If someone's idea of 'craic' is heroin, calling them 'scum' isn't going to help anyone. And as I said, the 'business community' is doing far more damage to Dublin than any drug addict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

A re-tuning of perspectives is in order for some here. Dublin has never been the centre of any great empire, nor does it have vast swathes of rich architecture built with imperial riches. It is the primary city of a country which for most of the past few hundred years has been impoverished and subjugated. It exists on the fringes of Western Europe, and as such never developed the great rail networks which in turn spur on overall public transport.

Dublin, along with Ireland as a whole, does not have the historical glory of the cities with which many here seem eager to compare it. But it has come a hell of a long way. It remains plagued by issues and a lack of vision by its governing authorities -- but the vision is starting to slowly take shape and Dublin continues to punch way above its weight in the opportunity it provides. There is so much energy and ambition in the city right now and it can take years for the cumulative effect of that to translate into something tangible.

I have lived in Paris, London and Brussels and each city has much to love and much to hate. Dublin is a city whose strength has always been in its charming humbleness but I really find it difficult to take people seriously when they fail to acknowledge the vast improvement of the city even in the past 10 years never mind 20-30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Thank god Dublin has all the culchies down keeping the place going. The place would really fall apart without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

mg1982 wrote: »
    Thank god Dublin has all the culchies down keeping the place going. The place would really fall apart without them.
    Absolutey
    Couldnt agree more. As I said earlier, All are welcome.
    What I don't like are provincials who complain about the city and call it a kip.
    A kip it may well be but not quite on the same level as kippery as Ballygobackwards or where ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

These type of threads are a load of ****
    Is it not just an Irish "thing" to be suspicious and derogatory towards people from other areas...
    jackeens look down on culchies and vice versa.
    People in large towns look down on small town residents who in turn look down on villagers, who in turn give out about the neighbouring village.
    I'll bet the same thing goes on between neighbouring areas in Dublin be they kips or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Absolutey
    Couldnt agree more. As I said earlier, All are welcome.
    What I don't like are provincials who complain about the city and call it a kip.
    A kip it may well be but not quite on the same level as kippery as Ballygobackwards or where ever

Bit of sarcasm in my last post.

Dublin has improved a lot aesthetically over the years and theres much more oppurtunites for people there now than before speaking as a provincial. In my opinion what lets it down is lack of proper policing especially in the city.

Theres a societal thing going on too where to have a good job now most of the time you need a college degree or masters.So a chunk of the population get left behind and some of them turn too addiction petty crime and what not. But thats not just a Dublin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

For years I thought the song Dirty Old Town was about Dublin. It’s dirty and has a canal. Who can blame me??

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

A re-tuning of perspectives is in order for some here. Dublin has never been the centre of any great empire, nor does it have vast swathes of rich architecture built with imperial riches. It is the primary city of a country which for most of the past few hundred years has been impoverished and subjugated. It exists on the fringes of Western Europe, and as such never developed the great rail networks which in turn spur on overall public transport.

Dublin, along with Ireland as a whole, does not have the historical glory of the cities with which many here seem eager to compare it. But it has come a hell of a long way. It remains plagued by issues and a lack of vision by its governing authorities -- but the vision is starting to slowly take shape and Dublin continues to punch way above its weight in the opportunity it provides. There is so much energy and ambition in the city right now and it can take years for the cumulative effect of that to translate into something tangible.

I have lived in Paris, London and Brussels and each city has much to love and much to hate. Dublin is a city whose strength has always been in its charming humbleness but I really find it difficult to take people seriously when they fail to acknowledge the vast improvement of the city even in the past 10 years never mind 20-30.

Hmmmm, I kind of agree but think you're a bit dismissive of Dublin, it does have some signs of grandeur and you can tell it has been important at times in history(Obviously very far back in Viking times which I don't know if you count) and later with the Normans and onto the later British Empire. IMO, you can tell it was an important city in the British Empire even if the claims of it being the second city of the empire are off the mark. It looks like a British city that has actually been given precedence by the powers to be. Remember Dublin was the first occupied territory in the Empire so it obviously had a significance for those in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I avoid Dublin like the plague.
    The city center is very intimidating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Cody Montana
    I am sitting in Davy Byrnes enjoying a gin and tonic.
    Beautiful summers evening. Lovely atmosphere
    Dublin can be heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The city center is very intimidating.

You're dead right .Are you wearing your Batman pyjamas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Bit of hush please for Mick Malones Mauser, away you go Mick:

For Dublin can be heaven
    With coffee at eleven
    And a stroll in Stephen's Green.
    There's no need to hurry.
    There's no need to worry.
    You're a king and the lady's a queen.
    Grafton Street's a wonderland.
    There's magic in the air.
    There's diamonds in the lady's eyes,
    And gold dust in her hair,
    And if you don't believe me,
    Come and meet me there,
    In Dublin on a sunny summer morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I avoid clichés like the plague.

A cliché to me is like a red rag to a bull.

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I kind of agree but think you're a bit dismissive of Dublin, it does have some signs of grandeur and you can tell it has been important at times in history(Obviously very far back in Viking times which I don't know if you count) and later with the Normans and onto the later British Empire. IMO, you can tell it was an important city in the British Empire even if the claims of it being the second city of the empire are off the mark. It looks like a British city that has actually been given precedence by the powers to be. Remember Dublin was the first occupied territory in the Empire so it obviously had a significance for those in power.

Yeh funnily enough Dublin was quite important throughout history and was one of the bigger cities in the world in the 1800's, hard to believe today though, it was also renowened as being quite a grand/beautiful city despite having bad slums also

Dublin missed out on the big industrial population boom victorian era of the late 1800's and early 1900's that allowed ciites like paris and lonond and new york their grandeur though as technology and population had increased hugely by then

Look at this table for biggest cities in europe 1800
    https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/4kdvo1/the_thirty_largest_cities_in_europe_by_population/
    In the year 1800 Dublin was 6th biggest city in europe!
    And given how europe held the lions share of the worlds population during that era(bar some of the middle east and east asia) dublin would have been one of the biggest cities in the world then, probably in top 20 or even top 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Dublin city wasn't a lot different in the late 80's up until now... Structurally it looks 90% the same. The only difference was the old analogue parking meters and big giant mullets going around. Then again young people today have hair that's getting bigger and bigger by the day. Young fellas today around the city center with these haircuts that give them a foot extra to their height....lol

wakka12 wrote: »
    Yeh funnily enough Dublin was quite important throughout history and was one of the bigger cities in the world in the 1800's, hard to believe today though, it was also renowened as being quite a grand/beautiful city despite having bad slums also

Dublin missed out on the big industrial population boom victorian era of the late 1800's and early 1900's that allowed ciites like paris and lonond and new york their grandeur though as technology and population had increased hugely by then

Look at this table for biggest cities in europe 1800
    https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/4kdvo1/the_thirty_largest_cities_in_europe_by_population/
    In the year 1800 Dublin was 6th biggest city in europe!
    And given how europe held the lions share of the worlds population during that era(bar some of the middle east and east asia) dublin would have been one of the biggest cities in the world then, probably in top 20 or even top 10

The earlier poster was pretty off the mark in fairness. Like you say, Dublin starts to lose it's prominence around the 19th century which I suppose you can see why people would view it as a secondary unimportant city because that's all it has been in recent history. It seems to only become a backwater once we achieve independence and the connection to the empire waned. It had one of the best transport systems in Europe as well at the start of the last century before it was dismantled. People talk about the slums that were the worst in Europe back then but that doesn't mean anything. Most of the powerful cities were blighted by massive inequality and to me the fact we had a huge population living in urban squalor, is an indication of Dublin's relative prominence.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Cody Montana
    I am sitting in Davy Byrnes enjoying a gin and tonic.
    Beautiful summers evening. Lovely atmosphere
    Dublin can be heaven

Alcohol and sunshine is the 'heavenly' factor.
    For those rare Irish who do not drink, Dublin is a depressing city, for all the reasons mentioned.

Nah, Dublin is the perfect location to compliment the sunshine and alcohol, around Grafton St is just amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

Its not a good sign that exactly half of the participants have voted saying it is a kip. Something tells me if this poll was conducted in Berlin , Paris, Lisbon , Rome or many other EU capitals the votes would have been predominantly no votes. I know I can't say that for a fact without stats but this polls results really highlights the state Dublin is in.

• Advertisement

Paris is far more of a kip than Dublin, we don't live far away from it, how people can have this romantic view of Paris is crazy.

*I love Paris but based on this threads criteria for a kip it fits most of the boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

shakeitoff wrote: »
    Paris is far more of a kip than Dublin, we don't live far away from it, how people can have this romantic view of Paris is crazy.

*I love Paris but based on this threads criteria for a kip it fits most of the boxes

I hear this comment on this thread and I wonder what people are talking about. The centre of Paris is amazing and beautiful. It's a magical city and the city centre is very large. I go there 4 times a year and it never fails to enthrall me.

Now some of the suburbs of Paris are manky. But the city centre (Arrondissement 1-12) is fantastic.

Comparing the quays in Dublin to the quays of the Seine is like comparing 2 different worlds.

I hear this comment on this thread and I wonder what people are talking about. The centre of Paris is amazing and beautiful. It's a magical city and the city centre is very large. I go there 4 times a year and it never fails to enthrall me.

Now some of the suburbs of Paris are manky. But the city centre (Arrondissement 1-12) is fantastic.

Comparing the quays in Dublin to the quays of the Seine is like comparing 2 different worlds.

And why even compare them? Paris was only able to look like that because of how the people who lived there enslaved millions of people around the world and brought the wealth back home
    Oslo and Copenhagen are cute cities of more comparable terms and thats what dublin should aim for and could actually be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

London: Knife Crime, Acid Attacks, Moped Gangs
    Paris: No Go Areas, Migrant Gangs, Riots
    Madrid: Prostitutes, Roma gypsies, Pick Pockets
    Brussels: Migrants, No Go Areas, Luggage thefts
    Berlin: Mass Sexual assaults
    Rome: Run down, Migrant Gangs, Scammers, Pick Pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Stay away from O'Connell St, Parnell, the boardwalk and Talbot if you're afraid of the povs and garish shops. Every city has its eyesores and addicts.

Thankfully my favourire gallery is around that area and it's rarely overcrowded with tourists.

The "nicer" parts of the city have too many tourists in them so choose your poison - too many tourists or too many skangers.

fatknacker wrote: »
    Stay away from O'Connell St, Parnell, the boardwalk and Talbot if you're afraid of the povs and garish shops. Every city has its eyesores and addicts.

Thankfully my favourire gallery is around that area and it's rarely overcrowded with tourists.

The "nicer" parts of the city have too many tourists in them so choose your poison - too many tourists or too many skangers.

I really like Parnell Sq/north georges street..I think stoneybatter arbour hill blessington Phibsborough Grangegorman and some other areas around there are really nice charactered areas that are quite underrated too, Oconnell Street is sadly a bit of a hole though and along with other ****holes like Summerhill and Dominic St serve as a bit of a divide between the nicer southern areas and the nicer northern areas of the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

fatknacker wrote: »
    Stay away from O'Connell St, Parnell, the boardwalk and Talbot if you're afraid of the povs and garish shops. Every city has its eyesores and addicts...

But those are the areas the tourists are directed to. Open up any guide book or website and you'll see the Ha'penny Bridge, the Spire, O'Connell Bridge etc. Arguably O'Connell Street is the main street of our capital city and it's really not what it should be. There should be no tolerance for the anti-social behaviour on the boardwalk or that the city centre is populated by drug addicts who are off their heads. You don't have to be Einstein to spot them either. Why are they allowed to roam free in the city centre? It's not a good look for the tourists and it's not great for those of us who live here either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

But those are the areas the tourists are directed to. Open up any guide book or website and you'll see the Ha'penny Bridge, the Spire, O'Connell Bridge etc. Arguably O'Connell Street is the main street of our capital city and it's really not what it should be. There should be no tolerance for the anti-social behaviour on the boardwalk or that the city centre is populated by drug addicts who are off their heads. You don't have to be Einstein to spot them either. Why are they allowed to roam free in the city centre? It's not a good look for the tourists and it's not great for those of us who live here either.

Reminds me of when I was waiting for the 13 in town. A group of German tourists let out an audibal gasp walking passed a phone box, I took a peak in to see an adict with his underwear around his knees injecting into his groin. A garda car was at the red light at one point and I swear they just looked at him and drove off. Its become so normalized here unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

That sort of hands-off policing has come back to bite us in a big way. That sort of thing wouldn't be allowed happen back home in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I know people who wanted to visit Ireland for ages, they flew into Dublin and was like '' what is this sh it '' and flew out next day.
    Dublin is nothing like Ireland, it's a concrete jungle of crime and hate.

I know people who wanted to visit Ireland for ages, they flew into Dublin and was like '' what is this sh it '' and flew out next day.

Flew back out the very next day?
    Tell us more please!

Ah, their names weren't Harry and Meghan by any chance?

A concrete jungle of hate and crime ?
    Is that not MegaCity in Judge Dredd ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Flew back out the very next day?
    Tell us more please!

True story. I'm not kidding.
    She expected green fields and friendliness, she got concrete and evil stares, does anyone in Dublin smile, or is it all just a self protection thing to keep head down and not make eye contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I call BS on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Dubs are just as bad as the English tbh, their a different breed altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dubs are just as bad as the English tbh, their a different breed altogether

Ah well, never fear, there are only a few TRUE Dubs left anyway. Like me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

She expected green fields and friendliness, she got concrete and evil stares, does anyone in Dublin smile, or is it all just a self protection thing to keep head down and not make eye contact.

She expected green fields in the middle of a major urban centre? She should read up a bit more on her destination me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

The Gardaí absolutely turn a blind eye to the drug dealers and users in the city centre. I have seen it many times in the streets off O'Connell.
    There should be a zero tolerance approach to the drug dealers in the city centre. The people of Dublin should be protesting at the indifference amongst our esteemed police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

The people who smile are the true dubliner's, the people you see keeping the head down are usually Spud wollopers who have just made a show of themselves trying to give a bus driver a €20 note and are now scrambling for change .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Also,
    Having no train service from the airport to the city centre is beyond belief, in this day and age.
    There is chaos regarding where, how and when one finds a bus from the airport to the city.
    Bus drivers are predominantly non-Irish, barely speak English and exude hostility.
    I imagine it is a stressful start for any foreigner visiting the Country, especially for those who have endured long-haul flights to get here.

cusser wrote: »
    Also,
    Having no train service from the airport to the city centre is beyond belief, in this day and age.
    There is chaos regarding where, how and when one finds a bus from the airport to the city.
    Bus drivers are predominantly non-Irish, barely speak English and exude hostility.
    I imagine it is a stressful start for any foreigner visiting the Country, especially for those who have endured long-haul flights to get here.

Bus drivers being hostile , non Irish and barely speaking English has very little to do with Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

redblaze wrote: »
    Junkies everywhere and so many beggers it makes New York before Giuliani look mild. Plus a health service that genuinely makes me ashamed to be Irish, but I suppose that's a nationwide thing and not just Dublin.

I'm back in it and in shock after 15 months living in London, a city known for been quite rough in parts too. But it looks like a Summer's day in Florence compared to Dublin.

"Fair City" my arse.

wow 15 months you must know London like the back of your hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dublin has it's bad points but also it's good ones. Because we live here everyday we tend to see the bad about the city and ignore the good points. I've traveled quite a bit and I don't believe Dublin is any worse than any major city I've been in. Every city has it's nice parts and its rough places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Also,
    Lisbon (Portugal didn't join the EU until 20 years after we did) can have an underground from the airport into the city, the latest "plan" for Dublin is to take away people's gardens to widen roads for more traffic. How such incompetent dinosaurs are still in such high positions in the planning process in this country is mind boggling. Post-colonial cronyism is the only conclusion I can come to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The city still has a lot of culture, nice parks and beaches just a stone throw away, there are also many ethnic restaurants serving food as authentic as their home countries if you ask them for the non Irish dishes(Chinese restaurants are more authentic than what you can get in America even). People on a whole are actually decent enough also so I would say Dublin is not that bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

The journey from my work place to Heuston Station, taking in either O'Connell St and 2 x LUAS or the Millennium Quarter and 1 x LUAS takes you past some seriously scummy individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

From reading this thread you'd swear Dublin was the world's largest drug-den that's completed dominated by junkies, crime, scumbags and has shootings on every street corner every day.

Or, you know, we could focus on reality and reality states that Dublin is very low in crime and according to Mercer is #34 in the livable cities index (so a lot higher than many other 1st world capitals).

Dublin isn't perfect but I swear it's just a typical Irish thing on boards and in general to sh*t all over whatever we have, even though what we have is largely pretty damn great overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Cina wrote: »
    From reading this thread you'd swear Dublin was the world's largest drug-den that's completed dominated by junkies, crime, scumbags and has shootings on every street corner every day.

Or, you know, we could focus on reality and reality states that Dublin is very low in crime and according to Mercer is #34 in the livable cities index (so a lot higher than many other 1st world capitals).

Dublin isn't perfect but I swear it's just a typical Irish thing on boards and in general to sh*t all over whatever we have, even though what we have is largely pretty damn great overall.

Walk alone past the Spire at 2am in a designer jacket carrying an iPhone.

Guarantee you'll change your tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Also,

I agree but many more famous world cities don't have an airport train service e.g Rio (which held recent world cup and Olympics), Los Angeles, Cape Town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement