Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

I feel I was blessed in this life not to be from Dublin or Limerick!

Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Walk alone past the Spire at 2am in a designer jacket carrying an iPhone.

Guarantee you'll change your tune.

I've stood on O'Connell St plenty of times at 2 or 3am to get taxi's and never had issues.

And designer jacket and iPhone? Should I just wear a baseball cap too that says "I AM RICH, PLEASE ROB ME"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Cina wrote: »
    From reading this thread you'd swear Dublin was the world's largest drug-den that's completed dominated by junkies, crime, scumbags and has shootings on every street corner every day.

Or, you know, we could focus on reality and reality states that Dublin is very low in crime and according to Mercer is #34 in the livable cities index (so a lot higher than many other 1st world capitals).

Dublin isn't perfect but I swear it's just a typical Irish thing on boards and in general to sh*t all over whatever we have, even though what we have is largely pretty damn great overall.
    The third world infra-structure and the Irish who couldn't organise a pi55 up in a brewery is the problem with Dublin.
    If only we got Germans in to plan our infra-structure when we joined the EU ..... if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

And the result would be different in Cork,Limerick or Belfast ? Or any major city ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Annd9 wrote: »
    And the result would be different in Cork,Limerick or Belfast ? Or any major city ?

Probably... and it probably would be un Dublin too. I've been on my phone around the spire close to and after midnight many a time. Worst I had was some homeless, not-all-there lad chewing the ear off me about how Michael Jackson was a pedophile and deserved to die.

cusser wrote: »
    Alcohol and sunshine is the 'heavenly' factor.
    For those rare Irish who do not drink, Dublin is a depressing city, for all the reasons mentioned.

I rarely drink and would definitely agree, I often find it a lot harder to fill the weekends with activities that don't involve booze than I do in other countries. Mind you I absolutely despise being out in the rain, so that doesn't help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lisbon (Portugal didn't join the EU until 20 years after we did) can have an underground from the airport into the city, the latest "plan" for Dublin is to take away people's gardens to widen roads for more traffic. How such incompetent dinosaurs are still in such high positions in the planning process in this country is mind boggling. Post-colonial cronyism is the only conclusion I can come to.

Just cronyism, the British are gone with nearly a century. No-one to blame but ourselves.
    tbf, most, if not all of the neglect and ripping up of infrastructure happened during our glorious independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I drive down the quays either side of the Liffey a lot and almost every second time I do I see junkies selling smack,
    Sitting in the car in traffic and clearly in public view you can see them taking it out of the arse of there jeans and letting the costumer chose which one they want,
    You even see them then take out a big wade of cash and put the money they just received into the wade,
    How in gods name do the Garda not see this , its in plan site every single day ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

The third world infra-structure and the Irish who couldn't organise a pi55 up in a brewery is the problem with Dublin.
    If only we got Germans in to plan our infra-structure when we joined the EU ..... if only.

I'd say it's more... second world? I've been to third world countries and cities and believe me Dublin is not that bad. But then it's not remotely as good as mega-cities like London or Berlin, obviously. Or basically any European city that actually has a metro. Sadly I'm not sure we'll ever get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Cina wrote: »

I'd say it's more... second world? I've been to third world countries and cities and believe me Dublin is not that bad. But then it's not remotely as good as mega-cities like London or Berlin, obviously. Or basically any European city that actually has a metro. Sadly I'm not sure we'll ever get one.

Yep. Mobility is the key to a great city. Being able to go from place to place quickly. They’re finally starting orbital Dublin bus routes soon, although sharing the road with cars is a drawback. Luas is essentially a couple of straight lines rather than a network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You mean the Germans who can't deliver a ferry on time or the ones who have been building an airport since 2006 that won't be ready until 2020 (maybe!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

People who use the adjective "third world" about anything in relation to Ireland annoy the ****e out of me. They might as well wear a sandwich board proclaiming their ignorance of conditions outside their little bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sure that could happen anywhere in any town center or city in Ireland...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

gandalf wrote: »
    You mean the Germans who can't deliver a ferry on time or the ones who have been building an airport since 2006 that won't be ready until 2020 (maybe!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Brandenburg_Airport

I spent years working for two of their industrial leaders - SAP and Siemens.
    The efficiency myth is bunkum. If anything, I often found myself aghast at their overly complicated methodologies.
    VW cars are ****e as well. Engines overwrought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A concrete jungle of hate and crime ?
    Is that not MegaCity in Judge Dredd ?

Yup, roughly about 500,000 people living in the ruin of the old world and the megastructures of the new one. Mega blocks. Mega highways. Mega Dublin one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I know people who wanted to visit Ireland for ages, they flew into Dublin and was like '' what is this sh it '' and flew out next day.
    Dublin is nothing like Ireland, it's a concrete jungle of crime and hate.
    I'm glad you were called out on this because the entire post is complete bóllocks!
    cusser wrote: »
    Also,
    Having no train service from the airport to the city centre is beyond belief, in this day and age.
    There is chaos regarding where, how and when one finds a bus from the airport to the city.
    Bus drivers are predominantly non-Irish, barely speak English and exude hostility.
    I imagine it is a stressful start for any foreigner visiting the Country, especially for those who have endured long-haul flights to get here.

Ah here, if you can't follow a sign to a bus or taxi, how will you follow a sign to a train? "chaos"?, give us a break :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

True story. I'm not kidding.
    She expected green fields and friendliness, she got concrete and evil stares, does anyone in Dublin smile, or is it all just a self protection thing to keep head down and not make eye contact.
    When you said "people", did you mean "a person"? (And a naive one too on her expectations of a city! Did she not see the green fields around it from the plane? Did she not realise there isn't far to travel outside Dublin for green fields?)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Where are you from?

I've no problem with people from either, so where I'm from is irrelevant.. however theres no denying both Dublin and Limerick have the largest crime stigma, for a reason.. and I definitely dont think It's the best representation of the the country as the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Dublin airport is a dream compared to that communist era dump Berlin Schonfeld. A capital city should be ashamed to be using such a kip as an airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I've no problem with people from either, so where I'm from is irrelevant.. however theres no denying both Dublin and Limerick have the largest crime stigma, for a reason.. and I definitely dont think It's the best representation of the the country as the capital city.

As someone who is from Limerick, I am thankful that your opinion, is not just unfair, but also quite dated....but Irish people aren't famous for changing their minds on things that quickly so I won't bother trying to change yours...

Dublin is actually a gorgeous Capital City, if you find Dublin boring then it is you that is boring...of course it has its flaws, it is not as easy to hide flaws in a city as it is in a small town or village...where it is easier to pretend that all is well...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Dublin airport is a dream compared to that communist era dump Berlin Schonfeld. A capital city should be ashamed to be using such a kip as an airport

You know that there is another one being built next door to the existing airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Sure for over ten years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's always worse in summer because of the culchies littering the streets with Supermacs wrappers and teabags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When you said "people", did you mean "a person"? (And a naive one too on her expectations of a city! Did she not see the green fields around it from the plane? Did she not realise there isn't far to travel outside Dublin for green fields?)

He didn't really mean anything because it didn't actually happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mikemac2 wrote: »

It is ashamed . Which is why a new one is in planning and being built .

As someone who is from Limerick, I am thankful that your opinion, is not just unfair, but also quite dated....but Irish people aren't famous for changing their minds on things that quickly so I won't bother trying to change yours...

Sorry that you find it to be unfair, but my opinion is based on my experience.. It might be a gorgeous city in your eyes, but I think this thread was based on these flaws! (also never stated that it was boring).

Sorry that you find it to be unfair, but my opinion is based on my experience.. It might be a gorgeous city in your eyes, but I think this thread was based on these flaws! (also never stated that it was boring).

Like I said, knowing what Irish people can be like, I am not going to bother to attempt to change your mind.

I never said you called Dublin boring, I was offering my opinion on Dublin.

Dublin is actually a gorgeous Capital City, if you find Dublin boring then it is you that is boring...of course it has its flaws, it is not as easy to hide flaws in a city as it is in a small town or village...where it is easier to pretend that all is well...

Isn't Dublin (along with Brussels) routinely voted the as boring capital city in the EU? I quite like the place, but there really isn't a tonne to do not involving alcohol, I find.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Isn't Dublin (along with Brussels) routinely voted the as boring capital city in the EU? I quite like the place, but there really isn't a tonne to do not involving alcohol, I find.

I can't say I have ever heard that one...

I'm not a big drinker and I'm never bored in Dublin, I enjoy walking around the city and taking in the side streets/coffee shops...I have no interest in the Storehouse but it seems very popular, there are some beautiful parks and I really enjoy Georgian Dublin.

In fact, I read somewhere that London, Edinburgh and Dublin were the three jewels in the British empire.

I find the people very warm, the humour excellent and I appreciate the culture of the city.

There are things I don't like about the place, but I don't allow myself to dwell on those flaws, I'm flawed myself!

Phoenix Park seeing the deer . The Zoo ,
    Stroll on Dun Laoire pier . Take the DART to Greystones along the cliffs
    DART to Howth and enjoy good food
    Sit on Killiney beach and hear the waves over pepples . Stroll on Rush beach them food in the Harbour bar
    Oh so much to do when its a sunny day in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Saw a mock up Bord Fáilte poster before obviously edited for effect;

"Dublin. There's f*ck all to do, but you won't care because you'll be sh*tfaced"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sit on Killiney beach and hear the waves over pepples . Stroll on Rush beach them food in the Harbour bar

Nevermind the various museums , the Chester Beatty library in Dublin Castle, the Basin , Croke Park , Trinity College , Stephens Green ,Kilmanham Gaol , yup Dublin's boring with nothing to do.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So:

Phoenix Park & zoo - (ok these are true)
    Go for a walk. Sit on a train.
    Sit on a train.
    Sit on a gravelly beach.
    Go for a walk.

On top of the fact Dublin is rarely sunny (this summer notwithstanding! :) ), that's not really the most inspiring list of things. Taking public transport in order to take more public transport isn't the most exciting way to spend my free time to be honest.

So:

Phoenix Park & zoo - (ok these are true)
    Go for a walk. Sit on a train.
    Sit on a train.
    Sit on a gravelly beach.
    Go for a walk.

On top of the fact Dublin is rarely sunny (this summer notwithstanding! :) ), that's not really the most inspiring list of things. Taking public transport in order to take more public transport isn't the most exciting way to spend my free time to be honest.

Your loss so

Nevermind the various museums , the Chester Beatty library in Dublin Castle, the Basin , Croke Park , Trinity College , Stephens Green ,Kilmanham Gaol , yup Dublin's boring with nothing to do.
    Most of those are sites, not activities. Can't say I'd be able to get excited about a monthly trip to Kilmainham Gaol or Dublin castle for example.

Our tourism board have already repeatedly acknowledged this as something that needs to be addressed for a reason - the city lacks simply activities and in that respect, is indeed rather dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Most of those are sites, not activities. Can't say I'd be able to get excited about a monthly trip to Kilmainham Gaol or Dublin castle for example.

Our tourism board have already repeatedly acknowledged this as something that needs to be addressed for a reason - the city lacks simply activities and in that respect, is indeed rather dull.

Activities ,as in what ?

If you need to be amused monthly I suggest you join a club or activity group and make your own fun . Its hardly up to Bord Failte you amused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You know that there is another one being built next door to the existing airport?

Yep I mentioned it already. It started construction in 2006 was supposed to be finished in 2011 and is now not scheduled to be finished until 2020 massively over-budget and very very late. Most unGerman of the Germans :)

gandalf wrote: »
    Yep I mentioned it already. It started construction in 2006 was supposed to be finished in 2011 and is now not scheduled to be finished until 2020 massively over-budget and very very late. Most unGerman of the Germans :)

And the Berliners are not happy bunnies about it at all .

• Advertisement

I don't think the issue is the lack of sites/activities but rather as op calls it the fact it's seen as a "kip" this isn't due to lack of sites and activities it's down to crime, anti social behaviour, drug dealing, homelessness, alcohol abuse, violence..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

I feel I was blessed in this life not to be from Dublin or Limerick!
    I don't think the issue is the lack of sites/activities but rather as op calls it the fact it's seen as a "kip" this isn't due to lack of sites and activities it's down to crime, anti social behaviour, drug dealing, homelessness, alcohol abuse, violence..

Are you talking now about our capital, or the Treaty City, as you've had a pop at both so far?

Are you talking now about our capital, or the Treaty City, as you've had a pop at both so far?

take your pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Dublin city centre is a bit of a kip due to scumbags and junkies all over the place. My foreign gf can't understand why they're allowed hang around town doing nothing but wreck the place. We see a junkie in a wheelchair passed out regularly. Could be anywhere..temple bar, o connell street.

Once you see past it though, Dublin is a great little city.

I'm a local of Dublin but haven't seen slot of the attractions until recently. We have amazing FREE museums that rival any of Europe's finest that cost a fortune to get in.

We have amazing scenery,
    bray to greystones walk/bray head climb

Howth in general, the hiking routes you can take are breath taking,

Hidden gems like the gardens at the art gallery in kilmainham

Great mountain hikes a few miles from town

During summer, we have great beaches within a short bus or dart journey from town

Beautiful parks around every corner

Temple bar is like a strip when abroad going out for the craic. I bet tourists love that area(minus the prices)

Even yesterday, I discovered blessington street basin which was a great find just around the corner from busy streets.

I think too many locals don't discover Dublin, all they see is o connell street, Henry Street, Grafton Street then back home on the bus. So I would value a tourists opinion on Dublin far greater than most locals or some culchie who has a vendetta on dubs/Dublin.

Edit:

Regarding the city centre and close by, slot of gentrification has happened before my eyes over the last decade or so. Camden street and George's street used to be disgusting, now they're jam packed full of amazing restaurants and pubs.

Stoneybatter area is really nice now too full of cafes and other nice establishments.

The IFSC, area around the board gas theatre and the general Liffey area there is spectacular. It blows me away at some of the buildings down that part of the city. Yes it's got dodgy people from sheriff street roaming about but aside form that, it's full of stunning modern architecture.

All that being said, we will never have a beautiful city like Vienna but Dublin has slot going for it and I notice improvements all over Dublin. In summer, it's a very enjoyable place to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So I would value a tourists opinion on Dublin far greater than most locals or some culchie who has a vendetta on dubs/Dublin.
    Yeah, as a non Dub, I do not understand the saltiness bandwagon regarding Dublin.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Dublin city centre is a bit of a kip due to scumbags and junkies all over the place. My foreign gf can't understand why they're allowed hang around town doing nothing but wreck the place. We see a junkie in a wheelchair passed out regularly. Could be anywhere..temple bar, o connell street.

Once you see past it though, Dublin is a great little city.

I'm a local of Dublin but haven't seen slot of the attractions until recently. We have amazing FREE museums that rival any of Europe's finest that cost a fortune to get in.

We have amazing scenery,
    bray to greystones walk/bray head climb

Howth in general, the hiking routes you can take are breath taking,

Hidden gems like the gardens at the art gallery in kilmainham

Great mountain hikes a few miles from town

During summer, we have great beaches within a short bus or dart journey from town

Beautiful parks around every corner

Temple bar is like a strip when abroad going out for the craic. I bet tourists love that area(minus the prices)

Even yesterday, I discovered blessington street basin which was a great find just around the corner from busy streets.

I think too many locals don't discover Dublin, all they see is o connell street, Henry Street, Grafton Street then back home on the bus. So I would value a tourists opinion on Dublin far greater than most locals or some culchie who has a vendetta on dubs/Dublin.

Another Dub here . I brought visitors on the Dublin hop on hop off bus tour a few years ago and was amazed at places I had never paid much attention to . And the guide was brilliant and I learned so much about my home town

• Advertisement

Yeah, as a non Dub, I do not understand the saltiness bandwagon regarding Dublin.

Remember we are one of the least urbanised countries in the OECD...some of us are urbanising faster than others. (and by the way not everyone living in cities have made the transition either).

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cusser

Originally Posted by Prominent_Dawg

Addiction, often overlooked ( or refused to be acknowledged as ) a disease is often the underlying cause for crime, homelessness, dealing...etc...
    More could be done.
    Every addict described here as scum, or scorned upon in some way, is someone's Loved one, someone's child, and often have tragic, heart-wrenching life stories.
    Are there enough safe-injection houses? etc...etc...
    It is sad that the 'fall-out' from addiction is so palpable in Dublin, yet ignored or shoved into the 'too-hard' basket.
    It is a shameful reflection on our society.
    Other cities do not have such a public display, which to my mind serves to highlight our society's callous indifference and condescension, rather than the shame and humiliation of the addict.

Regardless... I am not a fan of Dublin, even if the problems around addiction were addressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Remember we are one of the least urbanised countries in the OECD...some of us are urbanising faster than others. (and by the way not everyone living in cities have made the transition either).

This is very true i read somewhere that Ireland is only as urbanised now as most other European countries were in the 1970s. I also dont think we do urban living well in Ireland most of our towns and cities are grim enough enviornments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

mg1982 wrote: »

This is very true i read somewhere that Ireland is only as urbanised now as most other European countries were in the 1970s. I also dont think we do urban living well in Ireland most of our towns and cities are grim enough enviornments.
    Agree, we haven't made our cities nearly as livable as countries that embraced urbanization much earlier. I've been living in New York recently, and I know the cities aren't comparable, but one thing that stands out is the amount of small parks around New York with playgrounds, dog parks, basketball courts, tennis courts, picnic areas (benches and tables). Every neighborhood has at least one of these, often may more than one. Dublin has a few really good big parks, but not enough of these small ones, it's these things that make a city more livable.

But most people in Dublin don't make use of it's location. Last summer was the first time I went swimming out off the Great South Wall, and it was amazing. It felt like I wasn't in a city at all - and I went many more times after that. I started mountain biking in the Wicklow Mountains, going on more hikes, sailing. These are the things that make Dublin a great city. Not many cities allow you the opportunity to get out into nature so easily. And not many people take advantage of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

Dublin used to be we’re than Calcutta, so we aren’t doing to bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement