Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Even yesterday, I discovered blessington street basin which was a great find just around the corner from

The basin is a place I visited often as a child .A little oasis of calm.
    Not to far away the Botanic Gardens are worth a visit.

The IFSC, area around the board gas theatre and the general Liffey area there is spectacular. It blows me away at some of the buildings down that part of the city. Yes it's got dodgy people from sheriff street roaming about but aside form that, it's full of stunning modern architecture.

The really dodgy people who hang around down there tended to be bankers in Armani suits. Did more damage than any under privileged handbag snatched could imagine.

Marky91
    even yesterday, I discovered blessington street basin which was a great find just around the corner from

The basin is a place I visited often as a child .A little oasis of calm.
    Not to far away the Botanic Gardens are worth a visit.
    Marky91
    The IFSC, area around the board gas theatre and the general Liffey area there is spectacular. It blows me away at some of the buildings down that part of the city. Yes it's got dodgy people from sheriff street roaming about but aside form that, it's full of stunning modern architecture.

The really dodgy people who hang around down there tended to be bankers in Armani suits. Did more damage than any under privileged handbag snatcher could imagine.[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's no Paris ......

naughtb4 wrote: »
    It's no Paris ......
    No one claiming it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It's no Paris ......

No its Dublin .

Oh another one of these threads, where people are massively dishonest about the city.

It's pretty simple, feck off somewhere else then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No one claiming it is

Paris is a massive kip

No one claiming it is

Paris is a massive kip
    I love Paris even more than I love Dublin

Have i got a Kip fetish??

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Oh another one of these threads, where people are massively dishonest about the city.

It's pretty simple, feck off somewhere else then.

Agree, the problem are those who cant accept the problems.. "Oh yas but loike did you see the fab gallery and museum".. Nah mate because I got mugged on the way to it!

Agree, the problem are those who cant accept the problems.. "Oh yas but loike did you see the fab gallery and museum".. Nah mate because I got mugged on the way to it!

Thats a shame you did . Thousands didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I mentioned museums and the Chester Beatty library , just to give you some context , I work in low threshold homeless services with addicts , alcoholics , all sorts really.
    I can see the problems.

Do you have to say " oh yas but loike " etc to go to gallerys and theatres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dublin is grand for the most part.

It really irritates me though the lack of investment in oconnell street, talbot street area.

Simple things like more bins, more street cleaning, recobbling around talbot street/ Marlborough street. It could all be improved so easily.

The more serious issues with the junkies will take time to improve and is difficult but the aforementioned things are easy and really inexcusable that they havent been sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

I drive down the quays either side of the Liffey a lot and almost every second time I do I see junkies selling smack,
    Sitting in the car in traffic and clearly in public view you can see them taking it out of the arse of there jeans and letting the costumer chose which one they want,
    You even see them then take out a big wade of cash and put the money they just received into the wade,
    How in gods name do the Garda not see this , its in plan site every single day ,

Where exactly on the quays?

Did you call the guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh so much to do when its a sunny day in Dublin

And for the other 340 days of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

When people talk about 'nothing to do in Dublin' I'd love to know what they mean. Most people the world over do the same **** day in day out. There's only so much to do and while our facilities aren't probably the best there is still an abundance of locations to do things that you want. How many things can you realistically want to do anyway? Play tennis, football, mountainbike, hike, swim, etc. etc. Honestly, people are to blame and their lack of motivation, if you can't find stuff to do in Dublin, my guess is that when you say there is nothing to do what you really mean you want to live in a 24/7 city that never sleeps more bars than you can go to type city, it's not really activities that is lacking.

My friend was like this, he hates Dublin, he moved to Vancouver but all he does is work and go to 'cool' bars, this to him is what makes the city better than Dublin. He doesn't do anything that he couldn't do here, he's on the doorstep of ski slopes and hasn't gone skiing once.

Junkies on the quays
    There is a regular gathering of them near the civic offices on Wood Quay. Outside Smock Alley Theatre where the viking longboat sculpture is.
    There is a fairly "regular" police presence ,either a uniformed cyclist or often some undercover guys and one girl who operate around Capel Street and the bridge leading across to Parliament Street. I regularly see junkie/dealers being cuffed and taken away. The police dont ignore the issue but there is only so much they can do.What probably saves the junkies from a heavier clampdown are 2 things ,one they tend to be low level zombie types and two they tend not to interfere with civilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

shakeitoff wrote: »
    When people talk about 'nothing to do in Dublin' I'd love to know what they mean. Most people the world over do the same **** day in day out. There's only so much to do and while our facilities aren't probably the best there is still an abundance of locations to do things that you want. How many things can you realistically want to do anyway? Play tennis, football, mountainbike, hike, swim, etc. etc. Honestly, people are to blame and their lack of motivation, if you can't find stuff to do in Dublin, my guess is that when you say there is nothing to do what you really mean you want to live in a 24/7 city that never sleeps more bars than you can go to type city, it's not really activities that is lacking.

My friend was like this, he hates Dublin, he moved to Vancouver but all he does is work and go to 'cool' bars, this to him is what makes the city better than Dublin. He doesn't do anything that he couldn't do here, hasn't gone skiing once.

Completely agree with this. It's also worth pointing out that Dublin is now also generating career opportunities for young Irish people which are allowing them to go visit all these 'cool' cities on holidays rather than simply have to emigrate! I've lived in a couple of 24/7 cities and I loved that -- but getting out to mountains, beaches and countryside was an absolute trek.

The grass is always greener ultimately. There's nothing wrong with constructively criticising the place you live -- but I find it hard to listen to those who do nothing but moan.

redblaze wrote: »
    And for the other 340 days of the year?

Well we wrap up and more of the same !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

OEP wrote: »
    You can go for a swim within a few miles of the city centre

Yeah, if you are looking for a free Xray.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Come over to our part of the world.. San Francisco, where we have a poop app so that human excrement on the footpaths can be avoided, needles on the streets (or on BART trains) are commonplace, and people attending conventions feel so safe that the the conventions have started pulling out of the city and going somewhere else.

This does not bode well for a city whose primary business is tourism, and after several years of warnings from the hospitality sector, politicians are finally starting to pay attention: It’s affecting tax revenues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

redblaze wrote: »
    Where exactly on the quays?

Did you call the guards?
    I drive down the quays either side of the Liffey a lot and almost every second time I do I see junkies selling smack,
    Sitting in the car in traffic and clearly in public view you can see them taking it out of the arse of there jeans and letting the costumer chose which one they want,
    You even see them then take out a big wade of cash and put the money they just received into the wade,
    How in gods name do the Garda not see this , its in plan site every single day ,

I see this too regularly from the bus in the mornings. no more than 50 - 100 meters past the injection / methadone clinic are gangs of lads selling drugs at 8am right on the quays in broad daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭OEP

OEP wrote: »
    You can go for a swim within a few miles of the city centre

Yeah, if you are looking for a free Xray.
    It's absolutely fine. Live a little, you might actually have fun

I mentioned museums and the Chester Beatty library , just to give you some context , I work in low threshold homeless services with addicts , alcoholics , all sorts really.
    I can see the problems.

I wasn't referring to your comment, I was referring to a class that likes to overlook those problems, the thread states "As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?" don't know why people find the need to overshadow that by listing tourist attractions.. "Does Detroit have the highest Violent crime rate in the us" yes but it also has Detroit Institute of Arts, Motown Museum, Detroit Historical Museum however I won't be going there anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Vancouver is lauded as some heaven on earth and it had the absolute worst junkie problem Ive ever seen, packs of unwashed stereotypical hobo types line the sidewalks all along vancouvers main street, granville Street, all gaunt and many even look diseased with open sores and cuts all over their faces and no teeth, I feel bad to say but many of them are truly terrifying to look at

They are completely ignored by canadian society, not treated human
    I saw a junkie having seizures and police giving him some kind of adrenaline injection or something on the main street
    Junkie came up to me and tried to steal my phone right out of my hand
    Saw junkies having violent bloody fist fights on the street, broad daylights, kids passing by
    Homeless woman with no teeth kissing and cuddling a rat, completely off her head
    Junkie came up and screamed in my face for no reason
    Generally just very loud, very aggressive and act so strangely that it makes everyone around very uncomfortable

It was very shocking to me as somebody who doesnt think the junkie problem in Dublin is that bad and have never expereinced any anti social problems in dublin in my whole life, tbh they seem rather harmless to me in dublin

And that was all in my relatively short stay in one of the nicest cities in one of the worlds nicest countries
    A little perspective wouldnt go astray on some of you

• Advertisement

Wakka12
    Ah yes but arent dem dubs fierce annoying, shure der nearly as bad as dinglish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

O'Connell Street is an utter disgrace for our supposed national thouroughfare. Clerys remains closed and the derelict sites around the Carlton Cinema are a scandal. Overpriced restaurants and pubs that rip off the punters. Temple Bar a sad orgy of drunkennes - the original 1991 plans for it as a cultural quarter were so promising.

Very little increased density housing in the city aimed at familes, unlike in Continental European cities.

Widespread anti-social behaviour in the heart of the city. A mess of a bloated commuter belt and atrocious public transport. Traffic a nightmare in many parts of the city.

Physically, yes the city is in much better shape than in the 1980s but all that dereliction was caused by rampant corruption.

Lack of any decent quality "high rise" in areas suited to it - around the docklands, Heuston Station, key public transport nodes
    Lack of proper strategic planning and joined up thinking, particularly with transportation and its relationship with housing.

Crappy, tiny gay scene for a city of its size.

But worst of all, a horrendous housing crisis where adults in their 30s are living three or more to a room or still at home with their parents and a govt that just doesn't care about building any social housing. This is a complete scandal.

Plusses? Friendly people, by the sea, Dublin Bay, by the mountains, some beautiful coastal villages, Phoenix Park, centre is compact and easy to get around. Some nice landmarks like Dublin Castle, Customs House, Christchurch etc. Georgian townhouse architecture and the squares.

But so so much could be done to improve the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭forward8

wakka12 wrote: »
    Vancouver is lauded as some heaven on earth and it had the absolute worst junkie problem Ive ever seen, packs of unwashed stereotypical hobo types line the sidewalks all along vancouvers main street, granville Street, all gaunt and many even look diseased with open sores and cuts all over their faces and no teeth, I feel bad to say but many of them are truly terrifying to look at

They are completely ignored by canadian society, not treated human
    I saw a junkie having seizures and police giving him some kind of adrenaline injection or something on the main street
    Junkie came up to me and tried to steal my phone right out of my hand
    Saw junkies having violent bloody fist fights on the street, broad daylights, kids passing by
    Homeless woman with no teeth kissing and cuddling a rat, completely off her head
    Junkie came up and screamed in my face for no reason
    Generally just very loud, very aggressive and act so strangely that it makes everyone around very uncomfortable

It was very shocking to me as somebody who doesnt think the junkie problem in Dublin is that bad and have never expereinced any anti social problems in dublin in my whole life, tbh they seem rather harmless to me in dublin

And that was all in my relatively short stay in one of the nicest cities in one of the worlds nicest countries
    A little perspective wouldnt go astray on some of you

You must be the luckiest Dubliner ever because I've experienced some form of anti social behavior in some cases on a weekly or monthly basis either directly or indirectly. Maybe living in a **** council estate and using public transport so often amplifies the incidents.

Any time I boarded the red luas line it was like a roll of the dice if something nuts was going to go down.

forward8 wrote: »
    You must be the luckiest Dubliner ever because I've experienced some form of anti social behavior in some cases on a weekly or monthly basis either directly or indirectly. Maybe living in a **** council estate and using public transport so often amplifies the incidents.

Any time I boarded the red luas line it was like a roll of the dice if something nuts was going to go down.

The red line is absolutely mad Ill admit, whenever I go on it I just have to laugh at how drastically different it is to the green line
    THeres a lot of bonkers folk on it but again Ive never felt threatend on the red line..just uncomfortable a bit..by how loud and boisterous some of them are

wakka12 wrote: »
    The red line is absolutely mad Ill admit, whenever I go on it I just have to laugh at how drastically different it is to the green line
    THeres a lot of bonkers folk on it but again Ive never felt threatend on the red line..just uncomfortable a bit..by how loud and boisterous some of them are

I don't see your point in comparing the red line to the green line or Dublin to Vancouver? Of course theres always better and worse, that doesn't take away from the problems!

• Advertisement

I don't see your point in comparing the red line to the green line or Dublin to Vancouver? Of course theres always better and worse, that doesn't take away from the problems!

I dont necessarily see a point in it either and I agree but I simply said it in response to the hysteric posters saying dublin had the worst drug problem in the western world etc other unsubstantiated bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Well earlier in the thread you took a gratuitous sideswipe at Limerick city, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the 'kip' status, or otherwise, of our nation's capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Cracking city. Clean, safe and accessible.

Love living close to Dublin city centre. Epic restaurants from the cheapest in the country to the best. Amazing bars and pubs, brilliant atmosphere, every shop from Asian markets to high end clothing, dozens of beaches nearby, public parks and plazas, mountain range close by. Dozen’s of “quiet” areas close to the city, a few nice rarely visited islands and wildlife sanctuaries close to the coastline, decent public transport (for me) and endless things to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cracking city. Clean, safe and accessible.

Love living close to Dublin city centre. Epic restaurants from the cheapest in the country to the best. Amazing bars and pubs, brilliant atmosphere, every shop from Asian markets to high end clothing, dozens of beaches nearby, public parks and plazas, mountain range close by. Dozen’s of “quiet” areas close to the city, a few nice rarely visited islands and wildlife sanctuaries close to the coastline, decent public transport (for me) and endless things to do.
    So you live in south Dublin - delighted for you!

Lol… you’re obviously unfamiliar with the city. I live North of the city, the DART goes across the Liffey, and there is good public transport if you choose wisely where you live.

There’s also no real North/South divide, there hasn’t been for a long time. The big divide is East West.

PM me or hop over to the Dublin city forum to learn more.

Lol… you’re obviously unfamiliar with the city. I live North of the city, the DART goes across the Liffey, and there is good public transport if you choose wisely where you live.

There’s also no real North/South divide, there hasn’t been for a long time. The big divide is East West.

The divide between north and south is more so in the inner city, the east west divide is more evident in the surburbs though yeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No, North of the city Elmer.
    OK, I got it wrong, the "clean" bit threw me off course. Clontarf?
    You don't find the north city to be polluted by permanently gridlocked roads?*
    The potential that areas like Phibsboro, Dorset St, Drumcondra could have, they could be as nice as Ranelagh for example but instead they are traffic clogged dumps!
    * not so bad in July and August.
    Thanks but I was born in Dublin! :confused:

Well earlier in the thread you took a gratuitous sideswipe at Limerick city, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the 'kip' status, or otherwise, of our nation's capital.

Sorry if it offended you.. you're right it has nothing to do with this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I live in Castleknock and have a 10 minute walk to the train which takes 20 minutes to get into town, and a 5 minute walk to the bus which takes 35 to 45 minutes depending on traffic. I can drive 10 minutes and be on the M50 which pretty much takes me anywhere I want to go that isn't in the city center in a decent amount of time. I really don't think that's too bad.

Dublin isn't really that bad for transport. Yes it could be a lot better and we could have a metro that goes just about everywhere like London and Berlin but at the same time, it's much smaller than those cities and countries so the cost of building it is a far bigger burden on our budget than theirs. Not that I'm saying that's any excuse, clearly our transport needs to improve and I hope it does, soon, because the population is going up, up, up.

OK, I got it wrong, the "clean" bit threw me off course. Clontarf?

You got it wrong again.
    You don't find the north city to be polluted by permanently gridlocked roads?*

Not really, the air is very clean, it’s right on the coast and I cycle or DART in, so the traffic doesn’t really affect me
    The potential that areas like Phibsboro, Dorset St, Drumcondra could have, they could be as nice as Ranelagh for example but instead they are traffic clogged dumps!
    * not so bad in July and August.

Nonsense, Drumcondra’s a great area. So is Phibsboro, both coming in to their own now, some great restaurants, shops and delicatessens in both areas.
    Thanks but I was born in Dublin! :confused:

No, do. You’ll learn lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

If you want to describe Dublin as a kip then you can find places to justify that. Likewise if you want to describe Dublin as a lovely city then you can also find places to justify that.

Dublin is storing massive social upheaval though.

It is an incredibly expensive city with massive wealth inequality brought about by extreme right wing governments. This will only create problems, making Dublin a much worse place to live in for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

If you want to describe Dublin as a kip then you can find places to justify that. Likewise if you want to describe Dublin as a lovely city then you can also find places to justify that.

Dublin is storing massive social upheaval though.

It is an incredibly expensive city with massive wealth inequality brought about by extreme right wing governments. This will only create problems, making Dublin a much worse place to live in for all.

Which extreme right wing governments are you on about?
    I'd hate to see what you'd make of living in a country with actual right wing extremists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Extreme right-wing governments. Massive wealth inequality.

It's Dublin - not San Salvador or Santiago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Extreme right-wing governments. Massive wealth inequality.

It's Dublin - not San Salvador or Santiago.
    Hey what's wrong with Santiago (Chile)? I go there often and it makes Dublin look like Kabul.

^^^^^^

On answer to these. . . We have governments which bail out financial institutions to the tune of 65,000m, hand the bill to the rest of us until 2038, sell off existing housing stock to vulture funds and then don't build any of their own. . . .All the while th country is a massive tax avoiding kip for multinationals as single people pay 50% of their wage to a state after 33K, for which they get sod all in return.

We have the most expensive property prices in the world yet 1.3 million workers earn less than 30K.

If that isn't extreme right wing then I don't know what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Hey what's wrong with Santiago (Chile)? I go there often and it makes Dublin look like Kabul.
    Santiago under Pinochet so. That's extreme right-wing, despite the guy saying he doesn't know what extreme right-wing is.

The naivety and lack of perspective displayed on this and other threads is pretty remarkable.

Santiago under Pinochet so. That's extreme right-wing, despite the guy saying he doesn't know what extreme right-wing is.

The naivety and lack of perspective displayed on this and other threads is pretty remarkable.

Extreme right wing is not defined by people getting shot in football stadiums by tyrannical dictators.

I wasn't overtly negative about Dublin but rampantly immoral politicians and senior civil service have created a society where Dublin is only for those on considerable salaries.

This has led to the sort of social upheaval (homelessness, deprivation) that people have negatively targeted Dublin for on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

What an insult to people who've died under actually far-right governments. You're as clueless as the Americans who can't distinguish between job-seeker benefit and Stalinism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

^^^^^^

On answer to these. . . We have governments which bail out financial institutions to the tune of 65,000m, hand the bill to the rest of us until 2038, sell off existing housing stock to vulture funds and then don't build any of their own. . . .All the while th country is a massive tax avoiding kip for multinationals as single people pay 50% of their wage to a state after 33K, for which they get sod all in return.

We have the most expensive property prices in the world yet 1.3 million workers earn less than 30K.

If that isn't extreme right wing then I don't know what is.

Dublin doesn't have the most expensive property in the world.

The number of people receiving medical cards, social welfare, social housing, college grants etc would suggest that your "extreme right wing" claims are nonsense.

• Advertisement

mikhail wrote: »
    What an insult to people who've died under actually far-right governments. You're as clueless as the Americans who can't distinguish between job-seeker benefit and Stalinism.

Ah yes when you've no argument. . . out come the insults.

Your "I'm alright Jack" mentality is very prevalent among some in Dublin.

For your information: You could take any form of left/right or other democratic political ideology and attribute mass murder from the past to it. It's a straw man argument. You know exactly what I mean by right wing (if you want to remove the word 'extreme'...then go ahead....my points still stand).

Advertisement