Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

As a capital city is Dublin one of the biggest kips in any 1st world country?

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

As much as ive seen my fair of trouble in Dublin i doubt its even in the top half of most dangerous EU countries based on crime stats per head of population. People say Gardai are not recording crime stats properly but id say that is par for the course for all Police in Europe to make them look good.

On top of this, one thing i do like about Dublin is that safety risks are fairly predictable in certain areas so you know what to keep an eye out for. ie its much much less likely you will get battered by a bunch of marauding thugs in Foxrock or Ranelagh.

We have an Alcohol binge culture like the UK and unlike any other EU Country. it is ingrained into the National psyche like a badge of honor. (see Paddys day for more info). On weekends in Ireland this is very obvious and visible and would contribute to the 'Ireland/dublin is going down the tubes' opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

http://www.thejournal.ie/man-accused-of-slashing-young-womans-face-in-dublin-city-centre-refused-bail-4183060-Aug2018/

A 20-YEAR-OLD MAN accused of slashing a young woman’s face three times with a Stanley knife leaving her with “life-changing injuries” has been refused bail.

Mark Twomey who is of no fixed abode but from the Bluebell area in Dublin, was charged with robbery, possession of a knife and seriously assaulting an 18-year-old woman at Golden Lane, Dublin 2 on Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Was strolling along the quays after a gig on Saturday night,definitely a noticeable air of menace about the place.maybe it was always there I just hadn't seen it through sober eyes

Rest assured it'll be all shiny and presentable for the Leader Of The Pedophiles In Frocks this weekend with all the junkies moved down far away from where they usually drool

Then it'll be back to normal on Monday.

Our "Government" are like a 17 year old boy who only tidies up his bedroom when he knows he's getting his hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Was strolling along the quays after a gig on Saturday night,definitely a noticeable air of menace about the place.maybe it was always there I just hadn't seen it through sober eyes
    The quays and especially the boardwalk are pretty much a no go for me, whether it is night or day, incredibly rough.
    I really feel for that poor girl, I had a similar thing happen to me, though thankfully not as serious.

Greentopia wrote: »

Having methadone clinics located in the city centre in Dublin was always going to be a recipe for disaster. Whoever decided it was a good idea to have thousands of junkies come into the city centre every day for their fix should be held accountable and fired.

100% this.

Where do other major capital cities have clinics like this? I'm presuming they are logically on the outskirts and far away from the city centre.

gmisk wrote: »
    I really feel for that poor girl, I had a similar thing happen to me, though thankfully not as serious.

What girl and what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

gmisk wrote: »
    Your post :)

Ah yes! It's been a long week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

One big noticeable change in Dublin over the last 20 years is the amount of people living and working in the city center.

The inner city population has risen from 84,000 in '91 to 135,000 in 2011, Id imagine its higher again now.

Theres approximately 10,000 student beds added to the city center recently.
    Once the irish glass bottle site and other developments like st teresas gardens area, o'deveney gardens, newmarket square, all the docklands get built, the city center population will be pushing towards 200,000.
    Thats not including all the extra people working in the new offices being built. Also all the hotels being developed.
    This will make it a very dense and vibrant city.

We need to plan for this accordingly: microparks, cycling infrastructure, less cars. more public transport.
    We should also be looking at moving city centre social housing out of the city centre.

• Site Banned Posts: 210 ✭✭Sardine

The begging is mad these days in Dublin. Every few meters it seems. The same ones have been in certain places around Grafton st for at least 4 years since I started working around there.
    I've never seen a city as bad for begging. And yes I know a few posters have been to San Francisco and apparently it's even worse.
    It's a career choice in Dublin, and I'd say the money isn't bad, on top of your dole.

We should also be looking at moving city centre social housing out of the city centre.

What I wouldn't give for one of those big council houses they get for free around Lombard St. They actually look out onto the Liffey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

redblaze wrote: »
    100% this.

Where do other major capital cities have clinics like this? I'm presuming they are logically on the outskirts and far away from the city centre.

We have to large clinics in the city along with chemists who dispense.
    There's lots a chemists and services who dispense outside the city centre.
    There's around about 9 or 10 thousand people prescribed methadone in the state , lots never go near the city for their methadone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Sardine wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give for one of those big council houses they get for free around Lombard St. They actually look out onto the Liffey.

Yes, I know the ones; just across the bridge over to CHQ. Beautiful houses with great views onto the Liffey, incredible location too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

No. But, it is not my favourite place in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Yes, I know the ones; just across the bridge over to CHQ. Beautiful houses with great views onto the Liffey, incredible location too.

these were built in the 80s when nobody wanted to live in the city center, particularly that part of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Id imagine lots of it will be past it sell by date and not suitable for refurbishment anyway so will need to be demolished anyway.

Wont be happening soon though with the housing crisis.

Im not too keen on social cleansing though.
    Otherwise the city center population will be completely transient with noone to maintain the social infrastructure such as sports and social clubs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I was only one time in London in 1995, it can be compared only with Calcutta or Johanesburg. It had way more beggers than I was used to see in São Paulo a city full of druggers. Dublin is great for its size.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spotifiedman

Das Reich wrote: »
    I was only one time in London in 1995, it can be compared only with Calcutta or Johanesburg. It had way more beggers than I was used to see in São Paulo a city full of druggers. Dublin is great for its size.

But at least London has a "posh area" for tourists that makes you forget about the **** of living in Britian (bad weather, crap food).

Dublin doesn't have that. Many of my Canadian and American friends who come here remark how old the centre looks. They say that it's pointless taking pictures near any buildings in Dublin because of how ugly in their opinion the capital looks like. They however think that the countryside (Cliffs of Moher, Karst stone landscapes) are beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It's not as nice as it should be, when you come in along the quays it looks very grotty and this shouldn't be the case.

Just started into this thread and had to laugh - Dublin's quays are like Eden compared to what they were in the 1970/80s when they looked like Berlin c.1945. Lots wrong with Dublin - junkies, too many tourists, Kinahan's and their ilk but I voted that it's not one of the biggest kips - that award would have to go to my birthplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

But at least London has a "posh area" for tourists that makes you forget about the **** of living in Britian (bad weather, crap food).

Dublin doesn't have that. Many of my Canadian and American friends who come here remark how old the centre looks. They say that it's pointless taking pictures near any buildings in Dublin because of how ugly in their opinion the capital looks like. They however think that the countryside (Cliffs of Moher, Karst stone landscapes) are beautiful.

Lol…

“All this old architecture from Anglo-Dutch, Palladian, Adams style, Regency, Victorian, Edwardian to Late 20th-century modernisim in this medieval city is too old and there’s no point in photographing the buildings”

Said nobody … ever.

Cool yarn though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Check out the absolute Islamic ****hole Paris has become - you'll never complain about Dublin again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Should all the Culchies be expelled from Dublin ?
    No exceptions nurses ,guards, coppers attendees ,teachers,

I'd be down with this but only if you get to take your lot back in exchange.:)

sicknotexi wrote: »
    I'd be down with this but only if you get to take your lot back in exchange.:)

Needle exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭shakeitoff

People looking at inner city housing and projecting 2018 ideals. When I was a kid in the 90's we lived in the city in an unreal gaff but we left because living in the suburbs was what people wanted back then. Living in the city only matters now and who knows in 50 years time people will probably be over it by then. We're just in that period of change now so the lure of the new and trendy means living in the city seems like the best thing ever. I personally think it will be good for Dublin but it has its negatives. They need to keep some social housing in the city centre but also try improve the outlook of people there so that the city doesn't look like squalor.

Advertisement