Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Die Hard is 30 years old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who else is dead from the film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I actually still enjoy 2 and 3 as well. 4 is not too bad but 5 =meh.

If you like Die Hard watch the Last Boy scout..another one of his awesome films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I learned the benefits of taking off your shoes and socks and running your toes through a sheepskin rug.

Fk off it’s not Christmas yet.

Come back at Christmas and do this thread :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Lethal Weapon > Die Hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

TallGlass wrote: »
    Used to love it on the Playstation with the gun.

Mind you could never get out of the car park level :pac:

**** yes. Nostalgia overload - still have the PS1 disc but it's scratched to hell...*opens amazon*

Yippee Ki yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...

F*ckin California

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Who else is dead from the film?
    Bruce Willis's career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Drumpot wrote: »
    I went to see this in lighthouse a Christmas or two ago... Superb still and even better on the big screen.

What sort of people were at it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Also it would have been great to have this as an alternative ending, Hans Gruber jumping UP the Nakatomi Plaza to kill John McClane.

https://imgur.com/SQGqzz3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Strange to think that it was a Summer release.
    Because of the time it's set I'd have assumed it came out around Christmas.

It came out here around mid February 1989. I was cramming for Leaving Cert mocks and it was a Friday night treat - forget about the study for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

JoeA3 wrote: »

I think the original has aged well and has huge re-watchability to this day. I see it at least once a year, generally around Christmas of course. I think the others have dated quite badly, particularly #2 in the Airport. Not helped by its ludicrous plot (why didn't the airplanes just divert elsewhere FFS?!!), cheesy dialogue and far inferior supporting cast (really hammy acting by the "bad guys") compared to the original.

Plotholes in first movie too to be fair. They do mention that closest airport, National (now Reagan) is iced in so nothing could land there and the planes do lose all communication with the tower of course.

Wouldn't be very exciting movie if they just diverted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Bruce Willis came out during his roast to say it wasn’t a Christmas movie.. may he burn in hell.

He's right :p
    It's an awesome movie but Christmas type movie it is not. Where's the cold. The snow. Now that's what makes a Christmas movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Bruce Willis came out during his roast to say it wasn’t a Christmas movie.. may he burn in hell.

He was right....... great movie but definitely not a Christmas movie!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Buffy the vampire slayer started 21 years ago 😭

• Advertisement

Brilliant entertainment, up there with Lethal Weapon and the Eddie Murphy (who!?) films of the same time. It was a serious pisstake of the Germans. Tim Pat Coogan must have laughed out loud when Alan Rickman was cast as Dev by Neil Jordan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I prefer muffy the vampire layer.

Things he said, like being able to spot a fake ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Every time I read/see anything about Die hard movies I think of that stupid water riddle in the 3rd one. Does my head in:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SilverTom

Was on holidays recently where the was a DVD player and a couple of kids dvds, Toy story : 23 yrs old,
    Shrek : 17yrs old.
    Yikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The original movie is 26 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Gentlemen, you asked for a miracle....I give you the F.B.I

The film also benefitted from having some brilliant supporting actors, most notably Paul Gleason, who excelled at playing slimy pricks on screen in the 80's. Anyone remember him as Principle Vernon in The Breakfast Club and Clarence Beaks in Trading Places? Superb actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"All the terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister!".

At least I know what to line up for watching this evening.
    Thanks boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Modern action films are such ****e by comparison.

Die Hard is a classic, would love if they remade Die Hard Trilogy on the PS1, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Brilliant film. It's in my all time top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Love it, my only small gripe is the plan to escape in an ambulance, doesn’t seem realistic or clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Love it, my only small gripe is the plan to escape in an ambulance, doesn’t seem realistic or clever.

When I think of what they were planning with the ambulance I can only guess that it was to blend in with other ambulances that would have been at the scene at the time. Giving them a chance to get away unnoticed. Or maybe they just wanted a vehicle that wouldn't draw too much attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

The ambulance wouldn't have been big enough to fit them all in!

I read on IMDB that the ambulance getaway plan was only added to the film while they were filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gentlemen, you asked for a miracle....I give you the F.B.I

The film also benefitted from having some brilliant supporting actors, most notably Paul Gleason, who excelled at playing slimy pricks on screen in the 80's. Anyone remember him as Principle Vernon in The Breakfast Club and Clarence Beaks in Trading Places? Superb actor.

And the reporter Richard 'Dick' Thornburg who was a grade A creep, he came back in part 2 as well. Also played an officious little prick in Ghostbusters; some actors just have that kind of face I suppose.
    John Heard is another, the dad from Home Alone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

One of my top 5 that - very rare to cheer on the bad guys but I just adored Alan Rickman!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Sandra Elie

It can't be true that 30 years has passed...

It can't be true that 30 years has passed...

I suspect it's a mistake. I was 18 when it came out and sure I'm barely 30 now!

Lying is ok, right ???

As you were!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Welcome to the party pal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS this is depressing I saw this in the cinema when it was released!

Damn I'm old!

"Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring — except for the four assholes coming in the rear in standard two-by-two cover formation."

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more world's to conquer".

Only improved by the legendary Sid Waddell adding "Keith Deller is only 29....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭valoren

Hey babe, I negotiate million-dollar deals for breakfast. I think I can handle this eurotrash.
    Hey! Sprechen sie Talk???

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

20 years it was one of the best action movie ever made and then all of a sudden it was regarded as a Christmas movie. I do not get it and refuse to call it a Christmas movie.

Bah humbug.

bigar wrote: »
    20 years it was one of the best action movie ever made and then all of a sudden it was regarded as a Christmas movie. I do not get it and refuse to call it a Christmas movie.

Bah humbug.

Anyone calls it a Christmas movie near me won't see New Year!!!!

Yippeekayeye mudderfluffer (for those watching on ITV!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Bah humbug.

I wonder what kind of movie you consider Gremlins to ne!

Ipso wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of movie you consider Gremlins to ne!

Bloody terrifying and I cry like a baby at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Ipso wrote: »
    I wonder what kind of movie you consider Gremlins to be!

Easy: a Comedy horror. I also do not consider this to be a Christmas movie.

A Christmas movie must have no violence, have a minor challenge for the protagonist which is resolved in a happy ending covered in sweetness.

And the reporter Richard 'Dick' Thornburg who was a grade A creep, he came back in part 2 as well. Also played an officious little prick in Ghostbusters; some actors just have that kind of face I suppose.
    John Heard is another, the dad from Home Alone.

Both examples of 'Rent-a-Jerk' character actors.

It's the humour that compels Die Hard to greatness for me and differentiates it from the stock standard Arnie and Stallone muscle man "one man army" action movies of the 80's.

The best example of it is where the SWAT team are approaching Nakatomi "in standard two-by-two cover formation". The machismo of the SWAT team geared up and armed to the teeth is mocked as one catches his hand on a thorny bush and he yelps pathetically and effeminately. It is then compounded by one of the terrorists waiting to 'just wound them' who while waiting notices the bars of chocolate near him in the lobby and despite the tense situation he finds himself in just can't help himself from devouring one. A great movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bah humbug.

I watch it - the first movie - every Christmas while I'm wrapping presents. Whenever I think of 'Christmas' movies it's the first to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Best Christmas movie ever

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I remember watching it on my own on my day off in a London movie theatre one afternoon in Summer 1989 happy out puffing on cigarettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

valoren wrote: »
    It's the humour that compels Die Hard to greatness for me and differentiates it from the stock standard Arnie and Stallone muscle man "one man army" action movies of the 80's.

The best example of it is where the SWAT team are approaching Nakatomi "in standard two-by-two cover formation". The machismo of the SWAT team geared up and armed to the teeth is mocked as one catches his hand on a thorny bush and he yelps pathetically and effeminately. It is then compounded by one of the terrorists waiting to 'just wound them' who while waiting notices the bars of chocolate near him in the lobby and despite the tense situation he finds himself in just can't help himself from devouring one. A great movie.

Ha, yeah, that thorn bit always make me laugh.

Same with the terrorist fella sneaking a chocolate bar from under the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Kyle More wrote: »
    Imagine if it was made today. I suspect that McClane would be and avid vaper and Hans Gruber and his merry men would be of middle eastern origin.

It would have Joanne McClane fighting the bad guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Easy: a Comedy horror. I also do not consider this to be a Christmas movie.

A Christmas movie must have no violence, have a minor challenge for the protagonist which is resolved in a happy ending covered in sweetness.

A happy ending covered in sweetness...

• Advertisement
Advertisement