Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo 11 lunar landing 49th Anniversary

Options
  • 21-07-2018 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly at 2:56:15 am UTC Neil Armstrong set the first human foot on the surface of the Moon. 49 years ago to the second/minute the first Human set foot on the moon.

This was the main goal of the US manned space flight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    This was the main goal of the US manned space flight.
    To beat the Russians at the space race ?

The US "marked their territory" and cut back spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

the sad thing about Apollo 11 is the fact that my mate and I tucked into the homebrew his father had made for his own personal enjoyment, and since he has passed away many years ago now we will never sample the amazing brew again. but it made the landings seem so recent now in my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Rubecula wrote: »
    the sad thing about Apollo 11 is the fact that my mate and I tucked into the homebrew his father had made for his own personal enjoyment, and since he has passed away many years ago now we will never sample the amazing brew again. but it made the landings seem so recent now in my memory.

The really sad thing about the anniversary is that the hopes and anticipation for human space flight have not materialised since the Apollo program. Some people thought that they would going on holidays to the Moon or beyond within the next 20 years.
    When you look at the progress of manned space flight during the 1960s from first flight to landing a person on the moon, and compare it with what has (not) happened since, it is a sad reflection on how human ambition has become narrow and risk-averse.
    I smile to myself when I hear talk of a manned, (womanned?), mission to Mars in the next 20/30 years. With current attitudes, it will not happen in my lifetime, or in my children's lifetimes, or maybe ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Roger_007 wrote: »
    The really sad thing about the anniversary is that the hopes and anticipation for human space flight have not materialised since the Apollo program. Some people thought that they would going on holidays to the Moon or beyond within the next 20 years.
    When you look at the progress of manned space flight during the 1960s from first flight to landing a person on the moon, and compare it with what has (not) happened since, it is a sad reflection on how human ambition has become narrow and risk-averse.
    I smile to myself when I hear talk of a manned, (womanned?), mission to Mars in the next 20/30 years. With current attitudes, it will not happen in my lifetime, or in my children's lifetimes, or maybe ever.

I totally agree with that sentiment Roger but I never have had high hopes really not since my first Kemlo book anyway. I wonder how many people remember Kemlo from schooldays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement