Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to find out Euro 5 or Euro 6 engine in 2015 VW Caddy?

Options
  • 21-07-2018 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm trying to replace my trusty but aged Partner van with something newer-to-me ie still second hand...

Caddys changed from Euro 5 to Euro 6 engines in 2015 (middle of the year I think...?)

How can you tell which is which other than 15-1s likely to be Euro 5s? I can't find a good guide to the models, unlike Peugeot, which has great documentation. Was there also a change in the styling of the van when the engine changed?

Seems like about 7 EU cities have banned pre-Euro 6 diesels so far, but it's anyone's guess when that will happen in Ireland if at all, or whether diesel is just going to get rather expensive...

Thanks for any info... or any tips what to look out for when viewing them. I will also be getting my mechanic to check before buying.

Imogen
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Up to and including 2015 the Caddy used the infamous EA189 diesel engine range. When it was facelifted and made Euro 6 compliant for 2016 it used the EA211 range.

Afaik the engine changed with the facelift, the facelift was very subtle just making the headlights and front bumper a little more square. It was much more obvious on the inside as it got a far more modern dash and switched from circular dash air vents to square ones, nicer materials and a better stereo.

The EA211 engines in the Caddy all use adblue so that should also help you spot the difference, the filler for it is on the right hand side under the bonnet. I wouldn't be too put off by an EA189 one if it's in good condition with a full history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Didn't they have to go from the 1.6 Tdi back to the 2.0 Tdi to meet Euro 6 standards? I think they did so that would make it easy - don't buy a 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

R.O.R wrote: »
    Didn't they have to go from the 1.6 Tdi back to the 2.0 Tdi to meet Euro 6 standards? I think they did so that would make it easy - don't buy a 1.6.

Yeah, doesn't feel like 2.0 though, you'd never think it to drive it.

The adblue system might be a pain in the neck though so maybe a Euro 5 might be a better call?

Advertisement