Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From 100 to 200km

Options
  • 21-07-2018 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, just wondering is there a big difference to a 100k and 200k (apart from the distance) I managed Croi ok, and was thinking of going further. I keep a nice steady pace avg around 25/26 and stop every 30/40k or so. Anything you do differently for the longer ones? Cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Hey everyone, just wondering is there a big difference to a 100k and 200k (apart from the distance) I managed Croi ok, and was thinking of going further. I keep a nice steady pace avg around 25/26 and stop every 30/40k or so. Anything you do differently for the longer ones? Cheers:)
    Personally I find you on 200km you wont get away with out eating and drinking every 10k or so. I'd up the breaks to every 60/70 km. Im assuming you'll be doing at least a 150km before trying 200km

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Biggest difference I found was psychological, it just seems to be a much bigger commitment, at least until you have done a few. The secret to longer spins is pacing. You really need to maintain a steady comfortable pace. Don't be tempted to push it in the early stages. If you feel you have enough gas left in the tank with 50km to go, go ahead and push yourself at that point but do it earlier and you will suffer. Eat regularly also, you need to keep your body fuelled. Try extending your spins up to 140/150km, then do an event with lots of other cyclists, the buzz on the day will get you through as long as you don't get carried away too early and burn your reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Anything over 100k is unchartered territory. You'll need to pace yourself and you'll also need to learn to dig in an chew the bars a bit. But once you've done it then you'll know you can and the psychological barrier will be broken. I wouldn't be too facile about just jumping from 100 to 200. Plenty of 140-160 sportives about and then you can build up to a 200. At a testing pace anything over 120k is a hard spin IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You'ld be grand, if you can do a hundred you can do 200

eating is key, as you mentioned, 3or4 meal breaks and a few jellies, bananas on the way.

Start slowly, to pace yourself, take it a bit handier than you would on a 100, and if it's an audax, make sure you have the equipment to get you home

Advertisement