Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Liam Miller memorial match and Rule 42

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

What exactly is your problem with clarifying where the proceeds will go?

Don't just fob me off with some "oh it's a great cause, grieving widow" etc line, please please tell me EXACTLY why you think it's unreasonable for the GAA or general public to know where the proceeds of this game will go.

Or are you just trying to hoover up a few easy thanks?

Cause the GAA is laughable in its own right when providing clarity on where their own proceeds of Croke Park Ltd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

morrga wrote: »
    Cause the GAA is laughable in its own right when providing clarity on where their own proceeds of Croke Park Ltd go.

http://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-distributes-record-million-counties-and-clubs-155643/

Bottom of the page, in the Downloads section.

It's all there, black and white

Hardly laughable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

http://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-distributes-record-million-counties-and-clubs-155643/

Bottom of the page, in the Downloads section.

It's all there, black and white

Hardly laughable

If that equated to 100% of revenue, then fair play. But unfortunately its not. There are millions unaccounted for each year with exorbitant costs rife. Where is the 2.4 million of Croke Parks operating profit that didn't go to Central Council gone to!

I think they could clarify how much is going to charity and the family.

We don't want a "Colm Cooper Testimonial Dinner" scenario again. That got a bit ugly.

Not figures, but percentages, 50/50 or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

davidx40 wrote: »
    WHY ARE WE FUNDRAISING FOR A PREMIER LEAGUE FOOTBALLER ....€40,000 A WEEK AT MAN UNITED......BEGGARS BELIEF

"WE" arent. A group of people have decided to organise a fundraiser because they perceive it to be a good cause. That is their perogative and also the perogative of all of us to decide whether we will contribute or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

dixiefly wrote: »
    "WE" arent. A group of people have decided to organise a fundraiser because they perceive it to be a good cause. That is their perogative and also the perogative of all of us to decide whether we will contribute or not.

I would imagine that the non clarification of how much the split would be would cause some people not to contribute.

I know if the family were getting 80% and the charity 20% there is no way I would contribute to this event I could just make a seperate donation to the charity myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I would imagine that the non clarification of how much the split would be would cause some people not to contribute.

I know if the family were getting 80% and the charity 20% there is no way I would contribute to this event I could just make a seperate donation to the charity myself.

I don’t really see it as an issue. The general public are given a choice to buy (or not if not interested) ticket to soccer match. To be entertained for couple of hours. It’s not like people are giving money and getting nothing back in return. It’s clear by the demand that people are buying into the sentimentality of it all.

There have been a few nasty posts, begrudging that there is a fundraiser for the family of a deceased individual who in the past had good earning power. The following point may have already been said, so I apologise if it has. His wife could have another approx.. 40 years of a life ahead, and will initially have to raise 3 kids on her own. That will quickly eat into whatever savings they have accumulated. And with 3 young kids, her earning capacity would be restricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I'm not sowing a doubt, I'm setting the record straight

How can you set a record straight , when you have already stated you don't know?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    How can you set a record straight , when you have already stated you don't know?

It's...it's right there in my post..?:confused:
    However, I have seen many people claim or assume that all or most of the proceeds are going to charity

People are stating this as a known fact, when it is not. This is the record I'm setting straight

I can lead you to water all day long but I can't make you drink, you'll have to try just a little harder I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, and yes again.

Not a fckn hope.

Very valid point made earlier, the facilities might not include the pitch, it might be function room, meeting room or bar area for local fundraiser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Also plenty of people using the issue to have a cut at John Delaney, the FAI and, unfortunately, the Miller family and the organisers. At least one accusation about them was completely removed.

For many, ultimately the big picture is that, no matter how much the GAA fight it, as we have seen across the world inevitably there is a movement towards sharing facilities. The fight is not really between the GAA and football, and that thinking is a throwback, the fight is between sports and kids getting obese, gaming, thinking that hours spent on a gym to perfect their selfies is a sport etc.
    What accusation was that, Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭0127647

On a separate note can anyone explain why the game is on at 3pm on a Tuesday in September?

If they are so desperate for bigger attendance, its hardly the best of schedules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

There are some right toerags in this thread questioning even the most ridiculous of finer points the latest of which is the motives of the organisers or where the money is going or whether the family need the money at all. It's none of your business is the answer to that. At least you've outed yourselves I suppose.

It takes a mod here to step in and post in bold. It's no longer about a charity and memorial event for a lad who played both and who's career was cut short by a disease that has probably touched every family on Ireland.

It's a tit for tat among the worst nutcases from both soccer and gaa.

Some people can't help themselves. GLAFY.

STB. wrote: »
    where the money is going

In what universe could that be considered a ridiculous point? IMO it's very central to the legitimacy of the event and whether it should get the go ahead for PUC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

0127647 wrote: »
    On a separate note can anyone explain why the game is on at 3pm on a Tuesday in September?

If they are so desperate for bigger attendance, its hardly the best of schedules.

Only time they can get the certain former players etc all in the one place.

Which is not surprising really, many have media jobs, other coaching roles etc and it is during the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

There are some right toerags in this thread questioning even the most ridiculous of finer points the latest of which is the motives of the organisers or where the money is going or whether the family need the money at all. It's none of your business is the answer to that. At least you've outed yourselves I suppose.

It takes a mod here to step in and post in bold. It's no longer about a charity and memorial event for a lad who played both and who's career was cut short by a disease that has probably touched every family on Ireland.

It's a tit for tat among the worst nutcases from both soccer and gaa.

Some people can't help themselves. GLAFY.

Sums it up ... I was reading that in a Cork accent until I saw your location.

In what universe could that be considered a ridiculous point? IMO it's very central to the legitimacy of the event and whether it should get the go ahead for PUC

In the universe where it's none of your business.

Are you doing the due diligence here. If you don't know the answer then don't post questions that read like allegations. The "legitimacy of the event"!!!!! Really.

No doubt the organisers will be upfront about where the sales minus costs will go.

You are also second guessing what the family will do with the money which is just a tad disrespectful. I'm sure they'd rather Liam was still alive.

As I understand it it's a memorial and testimonial for a man who never got one from the cork community both gaa and soccer. What happens after that is really not your concern and has no bearing on the decision. Percentages really ?????? I'm pretty disgusted for you.

If this is your last point that you can make from your stance that you don't want it taking place in puc then your struggling.

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Sums it up ... I was reading that in a Cork accent until I saw your location.
    And that doesn't tell you everthing. I'm a gaa mad dub limestone but I love all sports especially those involving Irish people.

I can't believe the behaviour of people on this thread. Some must have been posting the rage from barstools.

I'd hate to think that any of the miller family would come across this even in years to come.

If you don't know the answer then don't post questions that read like allegations.

Last I checked this is a discussion forum guy, usually on a discussion forum people discuss things...
    I'm sure they'd rather Liam was still alive.

Are you serious right now? How is that in any way related to what I said? It's honestly really embarrassing that you would say something like that in an attempt to, I don't know, shame me or something?
    What happens after that is really not your concern and has no bearing on the decision.

What happens to the money raised is vital. Obviously it's not MY concern because I'm in no way involved in the organisation or running of the event but it is important to the people who are
    I'm pretty disgusted for you.

That's Ok I'll survive

Honestly your whole post is a fukcing trainwreck like jesus get a grip. Obviously it's terrible that a man died of a horrible disease, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's frankly quite annoying that you've forced me into making that clear

Honestly your whole post is a fukcing trainwreck like jesus get a grip. Obviously it's terrible that a man died of a horrible disease, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's frankly quite annoying that you've forced me into making that clear

Get a grip ? Show some respect for yourself.

It needed to be said to you. If its any consolation, your not the worst in my opinion.

Good luck.

• Advertisement

You are also second guessing what the family will do with the money which is just a tad disrespectful. I'm sure they'd rather Liam was still alive.

Absolutely unbelievable fukcing comment. I would actually call this an exploitation of the tragic nature of his death in an attempt to win an online argument, pathetic.

As I said, and as any reasonable person would assume, I'm deeply sorry for Liam's friends and family and for the man himself who had to endure such a horrible death.

That said, this is the real world, and tragic circumstances doesn't (and shouldn't) give you carte blanche to do whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want to do it. If the GAA are going to host a charity event, you can be absolutely certain that they will want to know where the proceeds will be going. In fact I'd imagine there would actually be some legal requirement for this. You're an absolute moron if you think this is not an integral part of the process

Absolutely unbelievable fukcing comment. I would actually call this an exploitation of the tragic nature of his death in an attempt to win an online argument, pathetic.

As I said, and as any reasonable person would assume, I'm deeply sorry for Liam's friends and family and for the man himself who had to endure such a horrible death.

That said, this is the real world, and tragic circumstances doesn't (and shouldn't) give you carte blanche to do whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want to do it. If the GAA are going to host a charity event, you can be absolutely certain that they will want to know where the proceeds will be going. In fact I'd imagine there would actually be some legal requirement for this. You're an absolute moron if you think this is not an integral part of the process

The veil didn't just slip did it.

And for that reason I'm out. And more importantly so are you.

The veil didn't just slip did it.

And for that reason I'm out. And more importantly so are you.

I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean.

If you want to have a debate let's go, refute some of my points, make some of your own. Don't just jab at me with these silly little insults and then try sneak off.

"The veil didn't just slip did it" Like wtf are you on about?

If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise shut up

"so are you" What are you a bouncer now? Gonna kick me out are ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

The people quetioning those who would like to know where the split of the proceeds go really need to get a grip.I'm sure people would like to get answers to the following questions:

Are the former players who are playing going to have costs covered?
    Are the facilities that are being usd going to be paid for or are they being used for free?
    How much/what proportion of what is generated is going to the family?
    How much/what proportion of what is generated is going to the charity itself?

Why should somebody support the event if these sort of issues are not cleared up.People could easily just make a donation to the hospice independenetly if they wanted to and it may have even more beenfit to people than supporting this event.

Clarfication of all these issues should really be part of any fund rasing event that takes place across the country.

Are the former players who are playing going to have costs covered?
    Are the facilities that are being usd going to be paid for or are they being used for free?
    How much/what proportion of what is generated is going to the family?
    How much/what proportion of what is generated is going to the charity itself?

I'm not sure that all of this information is required.

There were very high profile GAA benefits where large sums were generated and this was not forthcoming. Again, one need only think of the war that erupted over the Colm Cooper dinner and how much he was going to derive from what was advertised as a charity event.

Because of that, I did say the organisers could (not should) give an indication as to how the funds are allocated as between the parties.

Either way, it's a bit of a tangent to the main issue. I think at this stage one can conclude that any benefit the GAA may have derived from associating with the event has dissipated, again as Jackie Tyrell and others have noted - if they do not allow it there will be an outcry, if they do it will look grudging at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't know what the hell this is supposed to mean.

If you want to have a debate let's go, refute some of my points, make some of your own. Don't just jab at me with these silly little insults and then try sneak off.

"The veil didn't just slip did it" Like wtf are you on about?

If you have something to say, say it. Otherwise shut up

"so are you" What are you a bouncer now? Gonna kick me out are ya?

Jesus. What is that rant about. Only nosy, sceptical people would feel that they have the right to know the details of such an event. Normal people would just be happy that the event is organised in memory of Liam, as a fitting tribute to his footballing achievements. And in return for spectators enjoying a fun day out in the company of legends of the support, Liam’s family are also provided with funds. Don’t be so bitter.

Why go off the head. Just mind your own business. It has nothing to do with you. If you choose not to go, then it’s very simple – don’t buy a ticket. Thankfully, the vast, vast majority of people don’t think like you, and there is a large demand for tickets.

I presume you are not the other Fr Tod poster – Mayo guy. The cool and laid back fellow. If you are, and if you changed your posting name slightly, you are definitely a Jeckyl and Hyde character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jesus. What is that rant about. Only nosy, sceptical people would feel that they have the right to know the details of such an event. Normal people would just be happy that the event is organised in memory of Liam, as a fitting tribute to his footballing achievements. And in return for spectators enjoying a fun day out in the company of legends of the support, Liam’s family are also provided with funds. Don’t be so bitter.

Why go off the head. Just mind your own business. It has nothing to do with you. If you choose not to go, then it’s very simple – don’t buy a ticket. Thankfully, the vast, vast majority of people don’t think like you, and there is a large demand for tickets.

I presume you are not the other Fr Tod poster – Mayo guy. The cool and laid back fellow. If you are, and if you changed your posting name slightly, you are definitely a Jeckyl and Hyde character.

Certainly not me.
    Though the name is very similar, I often have to do a double take when I see it, as in "Did I post that ?"

I don't have the time, engery nor interest in having an alterego to have a debate with myself.

[/b]

Certainly not me.
    Though the name is very similar, I often have to do a double take when I see it, as in "Did I post that ?"

I don't have the time, engery nor interest in having an alterego to have a debate with myself.
    I actually responded to this "guy" earlier thinking he was you by saying youre not the worst!!!!!!:)

Anyway it's amazing when you are on a phone that you don't cop the sock puppet accounts and reregd accounts as you cant see the post count etc

I know who he is. The Gamerboy Reddit americanisms did help.

Quite a lot of recent regs exclusively for this thread in the last week or so, presumably to antagonise debate and spew hatred thinking you can get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MOD

Closing this thread on foot of a number of reported posts. I haven't been following so will need to wade through the thread to see if there's merit in reopening it - in the meantime there's something similar over in AH if you feel the need to post on the subject. Ta

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement