Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Liam Miller memorial match and Rule 42

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Liam Miller died about 2 weeks before Congress for this year. Given it's congress that need to pass these motions its totally unrealistic to expect the idea to be in place never mind planned in time. Blaming organisers is unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I don't believe Wailin has ever posted on GAA forum before. He is typical of type of soccer person, especially in Dublin, that GAA should certainly not be kow towing to.

Just as an anecdotal aside, I know someone who works in CP and was involved with the arrangements for the rugby and FAI events. Found IRFU to be completely upfront and respectful of where they were, and the others to be ingrates who he suspected were up to all sorts of shennagins. Which we kow to be true from their involvement in ticketing for World Cups and European competitions.

You wouldn't trust them to mind your hamster.

The rules regarding the opening of Croke Park changed shortly after the Aviva was finished around 2010.

No longer did it need a motion at Congress to allow other sports to be played there as was the case in 2005, but instead it would be decided by Central council on a case by case basis.

So for example if the Aviva became unavailable tomorrow the next rugby or soccer match could be played in CP without much drama.

They were roundly criticised from the usual suspects when they made this change.
    The critcism was "why did ye not do that back in 2005 instead of opening CP just for the duration of the Aviva rebuild"

And by all accounts the reason was that the GAA were so distrustful of the FAI that they feared that if access to CP was made any easier then the FAI would not be as committed to the Aviva and the place might never get built.

But with the Aviva finished then the FAI were committed to it.

I would not be one bit surprised if that were true.
    The FAI very nearly put the Aviva into liquidation and struggled to sell tickets

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/domestic/new-stadium-worry-as-cash-strapped-fai-reveal-euro16m-losses-99838.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tod and Niles Crane are 100% correct.

These people decided upon a publicity campaign rather than going about things the right way.

Nobody trusts the FAI, and with good reason. Look at the ludicrous money they spend on salaries for the apparatchiks when teams are regularly forced into liquidation and have players going on strike to be paid what is only a pittance.

As for "the gah" getting taxpayers money. Who do they think keeps the FAI afloat! It's what they do with the money is where people ought to be directing their attention. These are the same people, literally the sons of the same people, who used to travel first class to away Ireland games while players like Giles and Paddy Mulligan and Steve highway were sitting in the cargo section. And that is no word of a lie. No-one EVER elected these people. they have nothing like a democratic annual convention and their finances are about as transparent as Anthony Soprano's.

GAA ought to have nothing whatsoever to do with this gang. and that includes whatever angle they are running on the charity game. No offence intended to the family of the person in whose name it is been run, nor the charity.

Does it need to be said again that this is nothing to do with the FAI? I don't know why people keep mentioning them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

C__MC wrote: »
    Wasn’t there American football in croker a while back? It’s ridiculous to be fair but the GAA are stuck in the Stone Age on certain things.

Croker isn't subjected to the confines of Rule 42.
    "FOREIGN SPORTS" can be played there with the agreement of management. It's other non-Croker stadia that are stuck with Rule 42 in its well known form.

Any inquiries gone into the IRFU about the availability of Musgrave Park?

Accidental like there Bridge!

Of course it has something to do with the FAI. Any soccer game played here comes under their jurisdiction. Be like letting a burglar hold a car boot sale in your driveway!

And as someone else said above, the record of charity games and the expenses etc claimed make interesting reason.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Does it need to be said again that this is nothing to do with the FAI? I don't know why people keep mentioning them
    Are yin saying that a foot ball match were the 2 Irish National team managers are managing has nothing to do with the FAI?

I don't believe Wailin has ever posted on GAA forum before. He is typical of type of soccer person, especially in Dublin, that GAA should certainly not be kow towing to.

Just as an anecdotal aside, I know someone who works in CP and was involved with the arrangements for the rugby and FAI events. Found IRFU to be completely upfront and respectful of where they were, and the others to be ingrates who he suspected were up to all sorts of shennagins. Which we kow to be true from their involvement in ticketing for World Cups and European competitions.

You wouldn't trust them to mind your hamster.

Can we stop this divisive soccer person v gaa thing. It's becoming a pain.

I'm a soccer person(Ireland season ticket, Shelbourne season ticket) and a rugby person (Leinster season ticket) too. None of which dilutes my sheer annoyance at the N3 being closed outside Kells today(Dublin season ticket).

You know well who the regulars and WUMs are in here at this stage. No need to rise to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I’m a soccer person more than GAA but the sniping by both sides here to score points is petty. The responses like “who is he?” and “play it in the Aviva” are also disrespectful.

Yes the organisers probably could have approached this better. But for Christ sake, it’s still enough time to move the game to PUC. It’s a charity event for a young man who died at 36 and left a young family behind. It’s a chance to raise far more money for charity than would be the case if it’s played in Turners Cross.

Allowing the game to go ahead is the right, humane and sensible thing to do. Petty point scoring and hiding behind archaic rules isn’t.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    Are yin saying that a foot ball match were the 2 Irish National team managers are managing has nothing to do with the FAI?

Do you think Keane or O Neill play any role in the disastrous organisational running of the FAI? Do you think they are taking part in this event as representatives of the FAI?

Accidental like there Bridge!

Of course it has something to do with the FAI. Any soccer game played here comes under their jurisdiction. Be like letting a burglar hold a car boot sale in your driveway!

And as someone else said above, the record of charity games and the expenses etc claimed make interesting reason.

The organisational committee is made up of ex players such as Keane, John O Se etc, business men like Dermot Desmond, Cork County Council and the chief executives of Celtic and Manchester United
    What role are they currently playing to you?

I'm done with this anyway it'll get nowhere on either forum. The PR fallout is a disaster for the gaa whether they're right or wrong and can be seen from newspapers, to other gaa forums, to social media. All at a time they could do with a good news story

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

The GAA are and always have been a bigoted organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The statement from the GAA about this is bloody awful. It's like they got fed up with people using the event as a stick to beat them with so they took the stick, wrapped barb wire (just to be clear I'm not talking about Pamela Anderson here) around the head of it and then handed it back to those who were beating them. Bloody awful. Whatever moron thought that was a good idea needs to be fired. Under a passing truck.

I understand that the rulebook ties the hand of Cork County board but surely that could be communicated in a better way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

grbear wrote: »
    The statement from the GAA about this is bloody awful. It's like they got fed up with people using the event as a stick to beat them with so they took the stick, wrapped barb wire (just to be clear I'm not talking about Pamela Anderson here) around the head of it and then handed it back to those who were beating them. Bloody awful. Whatever moron thought that was a good idea needs to be fired. Under a passing truck.

Has to have been approved by Milton. He's the guy with final say on press releases. He's proven himself woefully inept over the past few months.

• Advertisement

He is in purdah at present and rightly so, but here's extract from Humphries piece in Times about the return from Windsor park when 26 counties qualified for World Cup:

"I say misfortune, because as we landed amid much mirth and jollity, a roseate crew of soccer blazers sashayed as they crooned a cappella version of their favourite hymn, You Can Stick Your GAA Up Your Ass. It was a display offered up in a spirit of craven lasciviousness. Human decency was offended, but too shy to say anything."

Another favourite, which I have heard myself in pubs full of soccer supporters heading to the rugby ground is "If you hate the GAA clap your hands."

Well, we are not San Quentin punks. build your own fkn stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This isn't an FAI event. It's a charity event that happens to be a football game

And they have had zero involvement from the FAI? Running the match without their sanction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

He is in purdah at present and rightly so, but here's extract from Humphries piece in Times about the return from Windsor park when 26 counties qualified for World Cup:

"I say misfortune, because as we landed amid much mirth and jollity, a roseate crew of soccer blazers sashayed as they crooned a cappella version of their favourite hymn, You Can Stick Your GAA Up Your Ass. It was a display offered up in a spirit of craven lasciviousness. Human decency was offended, but too shy to say anything."

Another favourite, which I have heard myself in pubs full of soccer supporters heading to the rugby ground is "If you hate the GAA clap your hands."

Well, we are not San Quentin punks. build your own fkn stadium.

As most regular gaa posters here have pointed out, including myself, we have no time for the FAI. They are a bunch of crooks and charlatans. It was only last year that bray were talking ****e about building a centre of excellence to rival Barcelona.
    That being said.
    I don't know why you're making it a soccer v gaa issue when it's clearly not. It's a charity game.

Patww79 wrote: »

Soccer lads to be too busy pucking the heads off each other to pay much attention to other codes

threeball wrote: »
    As most regular gaa posters here have pointed out, including myself, we have no time for the FAI. They are a bunch of crooks and charlatans. It was only last year that bray were talking ****e about building a centre of excellence to rival Barcelona.
    That being said.
    I don't know why you're making it a soccer v gaa issue when it's clearly not. It's a charity game.

that can be held anywhere. It has FAI approval, which it needs, and could be played in any number of places.

Mark my words, this is part of the gang's future plans to get more freebies from the GAA.

Spurn them as you would spurn a rabid dog, to quote Mr. Bean :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The GAA are and always have been a bigoted organization.

Give an example

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Give an example

Why are you bothering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Alan Milton should be fired on the spot and frankly the membership/delegates really should be demanding at the next congress for everyone involved at central council this year to step down and never be allowed near a prominent GAA position again.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the whole affair the repeated failure of the GAA to cop on to the fact that Public Relations is an extremely important thing is extremely frustrating, this purely should have been agreed to for the good PR regardless of the fact that it shouldn't have anything to do with the GAA and that it has been organised and handled badly by the organizing committee.

The big problem the gaa has is that although the membership reflects everyone in irish society and people of all types the leadership of the GAA consist mainly of stuffy stick in the muds who have absolutely nothing better to do with their lives (as anyone with anything going on in their life wouldn't have the time to do these administrative jobs) and have no feel for modern life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Wrong. Not a soccer person at all. Munster rugby fan and Deise hurling supporter. Their treatment by the powers that be have been disgraceful of late.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the whole affair the repeated failure of the GAA to cop on to the fact that Public Relations is an extremely important thing is extremely frustrating, this purely should have been agreed to for the good PR regardless of the fact that it shouldn't have anything to do with the GAA and that it has been organised and handled badly by the organizing committee.

The day when an outrage mob can force organisations to kowtow them in the name of good PR are coming to an end, thank god. Stick to your guns take the hit, and notice it there is no hit when it comes to your actual customers as opposed to the people who will never give you a red cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Not surprised really by the GAAs reaction. Just shows them up for what they really are, bunch of backwards bigoted arseholes.

Not surprised really by the GAAs reaction. Just shows them up for what they really are, bunch of backwards bigoted arseholes.

That's right, the 1 million or so GAA members in ireland are backward bigoted arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Bambi wrote: »

The day when an outrage mob can force organisations to kowtow them in the name of good PR are coming to an end, thank god. Stick to your guns take the hit, and notice it there is no hit when it comes to your actual customers as opposed to the people who will never give you a red cent.
    Think that might be wishful thinking.

Disney got rid of James Gunn from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 yesterday because a bunch of conspiracy theory wingnuts dug up a bunch of old tweets he made that were in poor taste. That's despite the fact the first two films, which he directed, grossed over $1.5billion combined at the box office.

Milton is presumably there to generate positive PR for the organisation. If he isnt managing to do that then maybe he should reassess how he does things.

Well when FAI can run "Dublin derbies" attended by a couple of thousand people that require 4/500 cops to police it and keep everyone within a mile of the grounds inside their house, perhaps we shall take some lectures on moral standing.

I won't even go into the shopping baskets full of tickets being sold by officials to supporters who couldn't get them through their clubs.

Actually I shall. One FAI official of prominent current standing sold a friend of mine from Manchester who lives in Dublin two tickets for the CL final in Moscow v Chelsea for 700 Euro. He had gotten them for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I think there are two issues here:

1) the organizers knew full well that PUC can't be used with Rule 42 in place - while it's crap that it can't be played surely they were aware of this

2) Rule 42 is archaic in its inflexibility and should be repealed or at least ammended so Stadiums be decentralised and up to discretion of County board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

harr wrote: »
    Once an organisation get public money and grant money to build /improve facilities those facilities should be for the public to use and not to line the pockets of said organisation.
    Was there not an EU ruling on this matter?

No they absolutely should not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Bambi wrote: »

Well Bambi you may or may not be happy to hear that the Director General of the GAA is going to meet with the organisers of the Liam Miller game.

I hope that the game can be facilitated and i have been a GAA man all my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

They could play it in Pairc ui Rinn ??

Obv it's the same situation but if they amend the rule could they not play it there

Do you think Keane or O Neill play any role in the disastrous organisational running of the FAI? Do you think they are taking part in this event as representatives of the FAI?
    I think they couldn’t partake unless it’s sanctioned by the FAI.

I think they couldn’t partake unless it’s sanctioned by the FAI.

harr wrote: »
    Once an organisation get public money and grant money to build /improve facilities those facilities should be for the public to use and not to line the pockets of said organisation.
    Was there not an EU ruling on this matter?

No they absolutely should not
    Absolutely. They only paid 3/8 of its. They didn’t build the whole thing.

Lovely language, soccer really dies attract the cultural elite.

What reaction are you not surprised at?

Rule 42 is well known. It reflects badly non the organisers of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

From Twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

From Twitter

You either let them play a game there or not. The GAA are only digging holes for themselves at this stage trying to explain themselves. Wouldn't give them the time of day over a meeting and I'm a GAA person.

• Advertisement

All we need now is for Bono or Saoirse Ronan or Mrs. Brown to express their anguish.

This game has nothing to do with the GAA. End of.

All we need now is for Bono or Saoirse Ronan or Mrs. Brown to express their anguish.

No need for Bono etc Bonnie (1 less thing for you to moan about). The ordinary folk of the GAA and the country in general have expressed their opinion and the GAA authorities will now meet with Liam Miller committee.

This is what should have happened at the outset.

Lets hope a good solution can be reached. Not sure how the GAA will come out of this as they had to be dragged by the grassroots to this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

dixiefly wrote: »
    No need for Bono etc Bonnie (1 less thing for you to moan about). The ordinary folk of the GAA and the country in general have expressed their opinion and the GAA authorities will now meet with Liam Miller committee.

Lets hope a good solution can be reached. Not sure how the GAA will come out of this as they had to be dragged by the grassroots to this stage.

Awfully, but if common sense prevails and its moved to PUC they will save some face.

I hear that Elon Musk is sorting out a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I hear that Elon Musk is sorting out a solution.

I think this attitude probably does answer the OP's question as to why it wasn't posted here before.

dixiefly wrote: »

I couldn't give a flying fart about the soap opera storm evoked over someone most people never even heard of.

If you want to change GAA rules, join a club and put forward motions.

Country is turning into a virtual reality show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Give an example

Liam Miller!

redlead wrote: »
    You either let them play a game there or not. The GAA are only digging holes for themselves at this stage trying to explain themselves. Wouldn't give them the time of day over a meeting and I'm a GAA person.

Well that's a very mature attitude to have.

You want and organisation to break their rules (and potentially incur issues with licenses and insurance) so you can use their stadium but yet you wouldn't want to meet them to discuss it.

Don't you think that's a rather ridiculous position to take.

The rules are in place, the organizers knew that and instead of handling this issue professionally and going through the proper channels and working on with the GAA they decided to childishly make a massive deal about it in public and turn the affair into an unseemly dig at the GAA.

The GAA didn't act soon enough and their should be repercussions particularly for Alan Milton and I would suggest some of the top brass but the entire issue could easily have been kept quiet and not had to create all this nonsense over the last few days regarding what was supposed to be a dignified occasion.

I couldn't give a flying fart about the soap opera storm evoked over someone most people never even heard of.

Your posts are intensely ugly.

The constant belittling of the deceased does your argument no credit at all.

You seem very angry, as if you blame those who simply want to maximise the money raised for his family and charity, for orchestrating the whole thing to embarrass the GAA.

If you want to change GAA rules, join a club and put forward motions.

Country is turning into a virtual reality show.

Speak for yourself when you say this.

Anyone with any sort of a reasonable knowledge of Irish sport would have known who Liam Miller was.

And whether you knew him or no does not diminish the value of the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement