Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tax in Ireland

• 21-07-2018 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I moved home from the UK last year for a few months but ended up broke due to the cost of everything especially car related. I subsequently moved away. I'm looking at moving back next year but want to avoid getting ripped off.

How can you minimise your car tax? If you have a car like a golf over ten years old it'll cost up to 700 euro. Absolutely outrageous, I'm surprised that people put up with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Judging by the garda Twitter feed, there's a lot who just don't pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Judging by the garda Twitter feed, there's a lot who just don't pay it.

Some see it that the fine is less than the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Problem is that if you get caught you have to back date it.
    What a rip off though!! In the uk, road tax is 40 pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I moved back from UK myself a few years ago.
    Oxford/London v Dublin/Meath

Tax and insurance combined were similar when added. £180 plus £600 v €390 plus €600

Diesel was way cheaper.

NCT every 2 years. MOT every year.

Negligable council tax in comparision. Cheaper rent. Weekly shop cheaper.

No water charge.
    Cheaper pints.
    Smaller mobile phone bill.
    Similar wages........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

lufties wrote: »

And in the UK, property tax is average £1400, public transport is horrendously expensive, motor fuel is more expensive (diesel is about 20c/ litre higher) social welfare payments including children's allowance is miniscule, it can take 4 weeks before you get a doctors appointment and the chances of seeing the same doctor twice in a row is low. And that's on top of being taxed on even minimum wage.

Grass is not greener over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This sounds like a whine. If you move from the UK you would logically import a car at the time of the move, so you'd be mad to have a 10 year old car. Plenty of people pay €200 or less on motor tax, that is your choice.

CeilingFly wrote: »

And in the UK, property tax is average £1400, public transport is horrendously expensive, motor fuel is more expensive (diesel is about 20c/ litre higher) social welfare payments including children's allowance is miniscule, it can take 4 weeks before you get a doctors appointment and the chances of seeing the same doctor twice in a row is low. And that's on top of being taxed on even minimum wage.

Grass is not greener over there.
    I must've been living in a different UK than you.

Car tax £40, council tax was minimal due to house share, and particular London borough of Hounslow. Car insurance £700. MOT plus a service was roughly £80 per year. Public transport is not expensive. In fact, in London you don't even need a car so that saves you money.

Ireland. 1350 euros insurance (rock bottom price, with 2 yrs no claims in the last 5) tax 400 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only 1 solution to this really. Stay in the UK and get on with your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Car tax £40, council tax was minimal due to house share, and particular London borough of Hounslow. Car insurance £700. MOT plus a service was roughly £80 per year. Public transport is not expensive. In fact, in London you don't even need a car so that saves you money.

Ireland. 1350 euros insurance (rock bottom price, with 2 yrs no claims in the last 5) tax 400 euros.

Sure live in a house share in Dublin so. You'll hardly need a car either.

Yep the car tax on a golf over 10 years old is high. Yep you should have done a bit of research before coming back. Yep you'd have brought something back without VRT and actually made money out of returning like the rest of us if you'd a bit of foresight.

Social welfare?
    Health system? (yes it's worse than here)
    Personal tax - earn under 40k and you're paying more than here
    Public transport in uk is expensive.

Car insurance - shop around. I'm paying less than €500, wife is paying €350.

Property tax - if you house share here, it would be miniscule.

And I forgot Water charges?

Its swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement

Only 1 solution to this really. Stay in the UK and get on with your life

That's the problem right there, as soon as you criticise anything in Ireland, your told to **** off basically.

No chance for a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Social welfare?

Is there a tax on those too?;)

Sure live in a house share in Dublin so. You'll hardly need a car either.

Yep the car tax on a golf over 10 years old is high. Yep you should have done a bit of research before coming back. Yep you'd have brought something back without VRT and actually made money out of returning like the rest of us if you'd a bit of foresight.

I did bring the car back exempt of VRT, but still had to pay 400 euros for a year tax.

What makes you think I'd live in Dublin? A car is essential in Ireland, for my profession at least.

Social welfare?

Health system in the UK is far better than in Ireland. Its also free.
    Car insurance for you is fine. My first quote was 5000 from Aviva, second was 3000 from axa. Finally its for women 1350.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Car insurance for you is fine. My first quote was 5000 from Aviva, second was 3000 from axa. Finally its for women 1350.

Started as a query on car tax and now its about the merits of living in Ireland as against the UK, it is what it is OP, deal with it

Health system in uk is not free. Doctors and nurses get paid. Hospitals cost money.

In the UK they pay far less social welfare and charge far higher direct taxes to the low paid which pays for the "free" health system.

And having experienced it, I can say it is not better than here.

As I said, swings and roundabouts. Some things higher here, some higher there.

Health system in uk is not free. Doctors and nurses get paid. Hospitals cost money.

In the UK they pay far less social welfare and charge far higher direct taxes to the low paid which pays for the "free" health system.

And having experienced it, I can say it is not better than here.

As I said, swings and roundabouts. Some things higher here, some higher there.
    Free in the sense that you pay it via income tax. In Ireland you pay 60 euro to smile at a GP.
    I experienced the UK system too, and while I fortunately never needed treatment or surgery. I always got quick appointments, and good advice.

Stanford wrote: »

Started as a query on car tax and now its about the merits of living in Ireland as against the UK, it is what it is OP, deal with it
    That's exactly why the country is how it is, apathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In fairness the file here starts at 188 Euro. What’s it in the uk?

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness the file here starts at 188 Euro. What’s it in the uk?
    The file?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I pay the E1809 motor tax rate, but let me say one thing about it! You could tax a car cheaply on the old system, anything under 1.6L and on the new system, the rates are f*ck all, most cars would be from E200-E390. Emissions based cars are now a decade old... The only way you are getting done on tax, is if you choose to get done on tax...

I would argue that the top rates are WAY to high and on the old system, anything over 2L was over the top, but there is a choice...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I pay the E1809 motor tax rate, but let me say one thing about it! You could tax a car cheaply on the old system, anything under 1.6L and on the new system, the rates are f*ck all, most cars would be from E200-E390. Emissions based cars are now a decade old... The only way you are getting done on tax, is if you choose to get done on tax...

I would argue that the top rates are WAY to high and on the old system, anything over 2L was over the top, but there is a choice...
    What is the choice? Im not someone who cares about driving expensive cars. In fact I was hoping to get one for 5k max. So the choice is, buy a more expensive car, or cough up more on tax for a cheaper one.

if you care about the cost of motoring, buy a bangernomic with nct. What car and engine size are you looking at, petrol or diesel? 5k will comfortably buy an emissions based "low" motor tax car...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buy a newer car.

Total taxation load in the UK is higher. Cheaper fuel here being the factor for cars; vastly lower social insurance being the factor for wages

And the NHS is now so awful I'd prefer not to have it. Three weeks for a routine GP appointment, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Free in the sense that you pay it via income tax. In Ireland you pay 60 euro to smile at a GP.
    I experienced the UK system too, and while I fortunately never needed treatment or surgery. I always got quick appointments, and good advice.

It depends where you live in the UK, in most heavily populated parts its fine, in the crappier areas its terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,505 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I moved home from the UK last year for a few months but ended up broke due to the cost of everything especially car related. I subsequently moved away. I'm looking at moving back next year but want to avoid getting ripped off.

How can you minimise your car tax? If you have a car like a golf over ten years old it'll cost up to 700 euro. Absolutely outrageous, I'm surprised that people put up with it.

so you are paying €400 a year in car tax not €700? I dont see a car tax rate of £40 for the UK. Are you sure that is what you are paying? The nearest is £30 and the equivalent car here would be €200. Given the difference in fuel duties the UK is probably more expensive over the course of a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Buy an electric car. Road tax here is €120 and the public electric charge points are all free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

so you are paying €400 a year in car tax not €700?  I dont see a car tax rate of £40 for the UK.  Are you sure that is what you are paying?  The nearest is £30 and the equivalent car here would be €200.  Given the difference in fuel duties the UK is probably more expensive over the course of a year.

Car tax in the UK can be incredibly cheap depending on the vehicle that an individual drives. One of my mates at work has a 997 Porsche 911 and pays somewhere in the region of 500 quid a year. I drive a 2014 520d and pay 30GBP for the year. The UK government were pushing diesel vehicles due to their reduced CO2 for years and offered attractive motor tax rates. Now due to VW gate and the amount of NOX and SOX that diesels are found to be emitting there will be additional charges "clean air charges" introduced in the not too distance future in major cities across the UK as well as London (which will be on top of the congestion charge and the excessive parking rates for central London (30GBP a day to park)). Euro 6 diesels are exempt as these are seen to be cleaner.

Regards the heath car system, Ireland's public health care is third world in comparison. The NHS is a fantastic system and would be even better if properly funded by the UK government and the doctors/nurses were properly looked after. I have had surgery on the NHS (sports injury) and it was better than private health insurance care in Ireland in the sense I had a private room, tv satellite channels and prior to leaving I was given a bag with all the medication for after care. In Ireland I would have been given a prescription and would have to leave at a conservative estimate well over 100 quid in the pharmacy and have to itemise what I paid to claim some of it back from my health insurer. 

As for the cost of living in the UK. Its subjective depending on circumstances, postcode, kids, size of house etc. London is obviously expensive and realistically not many people will be able to pay/willing to pay the massive sums for very little house. Further North you go the cheaper property generally is again its subjective to postcode as schools here have catchment areas so parents have to live in a certain area for their kids to go to a well respected school hence keeping prices high in that area due to demand from other parents. Regards the OPs opinion on housing I find the UK inferior in that respect as the housing stock in the UK is a lot older and some of the new builds I have seen have poor build quality with poor workmanship. 

I find Ireland incredibly expensive when I visit for a few pints with mates, sandwich at the local shop, groceries etc. Personally I am in an industry experiencing a skills shortage and have turned down a job offer as well as interviews back home due to the salary with respect to living costs. Again its subjective depending on the industry, personal circumstances etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What is the choice? Im not someone who cares about driving expensive cars. In fact I was hoping to get one for 5k max. So the choice is, buy a more expensive car, or cough up more on tax for a cheaper one.

You can buy any number of cars 2008 onwards for less than €5k and plenty of those will be €200 or less to tax a year. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to drive a 10+ year old car that costs €400...or was it €700 to tax.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    You can buy any number of cars 2008 onwards for less than €5k and plenty of those will be €200 or less to tax a year. Nobody is holding you at gunpoint forcing you to drive a 10+ year old car that costs €400...or was it €700 to tax.

Agreed. Yeah many of the rates are a total joke. But there is the choice to drive low tax cars ...

Advertisement