Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old recipes

Options
  • 21-07-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I used to make a chocolate biscuit cake about 20 years ago can't remember recipe but I know it included morning coffee biscuits chocolate sherry and I think whipped egg whites would anyone have ever come across the recipe I think it was from a magazine It was in the shape of a loaf and biscuits were sandwiched together I know it's a long shot but maybe someone might remember Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hi there,

I've sent you this by PM but I don't know if you got it.

The recipe I have for the chocolate biscuit log is this:

2 large egg yolks
    2 tbsp sugar
    150gr melted butter (unsalted)
    2 tbsp bitter cocoa (sieved) - NOT hot chocolate powder
    5 tbsp sherry (or other - I use Marsala instead)
    200gr Rich Tea biscuits
    a pinch of salt.

Beat the eggs, the salt and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in the cocoa powder, then add the melted butter, stir well and add the sherry. Then stir in the biscuits chopped up/reduced to crumbs and mix until combined. Pour onto some parchment paper or cling film, shape it into a roll, and keep it in the fridge for at least two hours, better if until nice and firm. Cut it into slices half a centimetre thick and serve. If you like, to make it softer, you can use whole eggs instead of just the egg yolks, and you can add chopped nuts or chocolate chips or raisins to the mix.

If you shape the mixture into little balls you can turn them into truffles by rolling them in cocoa or icing sugar, or by dipping them into melted chocolate.

Hope this helps.

NH
    (If the mods move this, at least the recipe will remain with the original post). :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Advertisement