Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed - new car for new baby

• 21-07-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

I could use some help here as cars are not an area I know a lot about.

I was driving a 2004 Suzuki which has just been robbed (reported to the guards etc already).

We have a new baby on the way, our first, so we wanted to get a new car anyway but this has obviously made things more urgent.

I do low mileage (Dublin to Laois occasional weekend, and grocery shop). so all I need is something reliable and comfortable that will fit a buggy etc.

Could people tell me:
    • What body type is best for getting a seat for the baby in and out of the car?
    • I'd like to get something that's no more than maybe 7 years old at most - is that reasonable?
    • What car makes/models should I really avoid (e.g. I see the thread on Opel Insignia)?

The budget would be around €6k. As I am very inexperienced with cars, would I be better going to a dealer?

Thanks for all assistance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For that mileage and budget petrol is probably a must.

Babies, even one need a lot of space especially if travelling overnight with them. I like estates for that reason. Some people like higher rear seats; but it doesn't bother me

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/07d-saab-95-estate-sport-model-/19334237?campaign=3

That car was on bangerenomics thread. I'd be looking at cars like that. if That car is good it's perfect for you. Make your shortlist, put up here and when you have in narrowed down head off with a good mechanic. Pay for a block of history checks to.

The insurance cartel refusing to insure cars older than 10 years has seen the arse fall out of cars that age and older. There is bargains around for that reason. Before you hand over your money check you can insure it.

Petrol estates will be scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An estate is a good idea in advance if you plan on expanding the family in the not too distant future.

This might be worth a look, it looks very clean and if the low mileage can be verified it should offer plenty of space for baby and all the stuff that travels around with them:

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe9c874163fc964985bb921888e5d3ca399.jpg

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2072190&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D39%26o%5B%5D%3D1126%26f%3D1%26yn%3D2010%26yx%3D2012%26g%3D0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭steve_r

Thanks both, so estate really is the best option space wise for buggies etc?

We saw this article https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/top-tips-to-choose-your-first-family-car-34474787.html

It recommends 5 makes - what are people's thoughts on them:

Volkswagen Golf Trendline
    BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer
    Mitsubishi Outlander Passenger
    Hyundai Tucson
    Opel Insignia (isn't there another thread where people say these are dodgy?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

steve_r wrote: »

We saw this article https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-talk/top-tips-to-choose-your-first-family-car-34474787.html

BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer
    Hyundai Tucson

I have an octavia and the boot in it would easily accommodate a buggy and baby accessories, and they’re easy to put the seat into.

(I don’t own kids but I have baby sat for a relative and would have had the buggy/seat in and out of the car)

BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer
    Hyundai Tucson

Your not going to buy most of them on your budget and I'd take anything written by the Indo with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Your not going to buy most of them on your budget and I'd take anything written by the Indo with a pinch of salt

Cool, it was more to see if any of the ones they mentioned were worth looking for in particular on the second hand market, or whether we should try and increase our budget to get one of them in particular. Doesn't sound like it.

The budget isn't locked in but because the car wouldn't necessarily get a lot of use, if we do pay more it would be for something really reliable/baby friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

One thing to keep in mind is the slope on the back seats. Some cars have quite a big slope which can make the car seat too upright for a small baby especially if you are using an isofix base. I have an Opel Astra 2011 that I had to stop using the base for because my son’s head kept flopping forward (its dangerous for babies under 6 months). Same problem in my husbands BMW.

Thanks all -the more I look at it, the more the Kia Seed seems to be a runner.

I'm seeing dealers selling 2012/2013 models for around 6k and the specs seem to match what I am looking for

Hi folks, speaking to my cousin and he has recomended that I look at Citroen and Volvo estates as well.

Can't seem to see any Citroen estates on Donedeal for my budget.

What do people think of this Volvo?
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/volvo-v50-1-6d-se-2010-full-service-history/19257246

But your lack of driving suggests you don't need a diesel. What benefits do you see from buying one over the likes of a petrol car that's a year younger and with over 100k miles less on the clock?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    But your lack of driving suggests you don't need a diesel. What benefits do you see from buying one over the likes of a petrol car that's a year younger and with over 100k miles less on the clock?

It's more a case that the ones I was seeing were diesel, Ideally yes what I'm looking for is something younger.

The only thing was whether people might say a particular make might be a better purchase (cause I don't know enough myself).

If your driving doesn't warranty a diesel then best stay well away from them. Your 6k budget will also go a lot further buying a petrol car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Hi folks, speaking to my cousin and he has recomended that I look at Citroen and Volvo estates as well.

Can't seem to see any Citroen estates on Donedeal for my budget.

What do people think of this Volvo?
    https://www.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sale/volvo-v50-1-6d-se-2010-full-service-history/19257246

I’d stop listening to your cousin if all he can recommend on your budget is a Volvo or a Citroen. You want reliable and neither of those cars will be reliable within your budget. Stick with Japanese or Korean petrol cars and you won’t go far wrong.

I’d stop listening to your cousin if all he can recommend on your budget is a Volvo or a Citroen. You want reliable and neither of those cars will be reliable within your budget. Stick with Japanese or Korean petrol cars and you won’t go far wrong.

Sorry, what I/he meant was that I didn't just look at one brand of car - he wasn't saying look only at them?

e.g. this is a Peugeot estate I saw when I broadened my search
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/peugeot-207-2010/18701126

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

OSI wrote: »
    Literally just traded in a Golf because it doesn't have enough room to be the sole family car when you have a baby.

About to do the same, single car in our house and we only have the one kid, but heading away for a night or a week tends to require the same amount of stuff. Things like the uppababy vista buggy took up the entire boot and I had to take a wheel off to put it in. They're quick release so easy enough, but it'll give you an idea of how much space is left (not much). A night away meant luggage in the footwells, not ideal with a baby on board.

(I ended up overcompensating with a Superb :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer
    Hyundai Tucson

The article is a load of rubbish to be fair. It’s like they just picked random cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The article is a load of rubbish to be fair. It’s like they just picked random cars.

How you can recommend a golf and outlander for the same task is bizarre. Also a trendline golf... Don't they still have wind up windows and no alloys ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I was driving a Fiat 500 with my little lady OP (she's 14 months old). I needed to change as there just wasn't enough room so I did some research and settled for a Nissan Note. There's plenty of space for the buggy and other items and loads of legroom for passengers. This is a little over your budget but could be haggled down:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-note-1-4-elite-4dr/19214883

About to do the same, single car in our house and we only have the one kid, but heading away for a night or a week tends to require the same amount of stuff. Things like the uppababy vista buggy took up the entire boot and I had to take a wheel off to put it in. They're quick release so easy enough, but it'll give you an idea of how much space is left (not much). A night away meant luggage in the footwells, not ideal with a baby on board.

(I ended up overcompensating with a Superb :o)

Thanks, from both here and asking people they more I appreciate that the more space the better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

PaulKK wrote: »
    . Also a trendline golf... Don't they still have wind up windows and no alloys ffs.

Babies don't care about alloys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Advertisement