Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The one prior to this question from the 8th grader.

The one about the peaceful transition of power.

Ah right. What could she say. You have to thread the needle with questions like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Pence's entire body language just gives me the creeps. Something reminds me of a sci-fi villain.

Or is it Village of the Damned?

Thought it was good. Biden recognizes the dangers of division and will work to counter it.

The last thing average Americans care about is warmongers like Colin Powell endorsing Biden and Harris.

Biden has worked with open racists. Not all compromise is good, particularly with the current sh*tehawks that occupy the Republican party.

Run of the mill, establishment, answer that will attract the princely sum of zero on the fence voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Scot_in_Dublin

440Hertz wrote: »
    Pence's entire body language just gives me the creeps. Something reminds me of a sci-fi villain.

He kinda looks like Odo from Star Trek Deep Space Nine in fairness. Think it may be the sideways camera angle now and then.

The last thing average Americans care about is warmongers like Colin Powell endorsing Biden and Harris.

Biden has worked with open racists. Not all compromise is good, particularly with the current sh*tehawks that occupy the Republican party.

Run of the mill, establishment, answer that will attract the princely sum of zero on the fence voters.

There's next to no voters on the fence this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,348 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

presume we're all irrelevant anyway.

don vs joe. our lives wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

"Freest and most prosperous nation in the history of the world"

Even the most brain-dead individual couldn't believe this guff.

"Freest and most prosperous nation in the history of the world"

Even the most brain-dead individual couldn't believe this guff.

Yanks do.

And they'll continue to believe it as they queue for 7 hours in their gerrymandered constituencies/districts to vote for electors and not their head of state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Terrible performance from the moderator, allowed both to dodge questions way to easily especially Pence who probably couldn't believe how easy of an night he had.

Looking objectively its a draw which is perfectly fine for Biden who is cruising to a comfortable win bar something utterly absurd happening.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Terrible performance from the moderator, allowed both to dodge questions way to easily especially Pence who probably couldn't believe how easy of an night he had.

Looking objectively its a draw which is perfectly fine for Biden who is cruising to a comfortable win bar something utterly absurd happening.

Exceedingly hard to find a good journalist over there these days. The era of hard-hitting anchors and interviewers seems to be long gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if a moderator asked some question about whether they're a cat or a dog person. The Trump/Biden moderation was very weak too.

I think both parties did enough to solidify their bases but don't think there'll be many voters jumping off the fence either way after that.

I think both parties did enough to solidify their bases but don't think there'll be many voters jumping off the fence either way after that.

There's still no one on that fence. And either way, that's all you want from your VP in a debate.

There's next to no voters on the fence this year.

Of course there are.

Turnout has hovered between 50-55% for the last fifty years.

I guess it just shows this is a post-television era. The real fight is on social media.

Of course there are.

Turnout has hovered between 50-55% for the last fifty years.

What? I don't think you understand what undecideds/fence sitters are.

You reckon that those 45% that don't vote are undecideds?

• Advertisement

What? I don't think you understand what undecideds/fence sitters are.

You reckon that those 45% that don't vote are undecideds?

Plenty of them are well engaged but can't decide between two cheeks of the same arse.

Others are disengaged because they were abandoned long ago.

Plenty of them are well engaged but can't decide between two cheeks of the same arse.

Others are disengaged because they were abandoned long ago.

Crack out the violins.

There's not 40% undecideds out there. Can we just agree on that.

Normally it's a choice between bland corporate conservative centre right and bland corporate conservative right.

This time it's a choice between bland corporate conservative centre and complete illogical chaos. It's a bit of a different scenario to most US elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Pence did a better job of forcing more airtime. Some weak moderation allowed him to get away with it. They both avoided some questions. Pence more than Harris. Though Harris not answering the Supreme court question will be remembered. Which by the way was asked by Pence and not the Moderator! She also missed some opportunities e.g. how Trump abandoned the Kurds. I'm no Trump supporter but I would call the debate a draw. Don't think it will matter much when it comes to the outcome of the election though.

You can 100% see why the likes of Oprah or Michelle Obama wouldn't go near this with a barge pole.

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't stand for US president or vp in the current political climate. It'd just be an absolute toxic mess of an election and a life of unpleasantness for years.

I would say the system is probably driving a lot of potentially good candidates out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

markodaly wrote: »
    Pence is slick, very slick...

Lying from a script is "slick"? He's ignoring the questions that are asked and going over his time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Crack out the violins.

There's not 40% undecideds out there. Can we just agree on that.

Only if we can agree that there's not practically no voters on the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Divisadero wrote: »
    Pence did a better job of forcing more airtime. Some weak moderation allowed him to get away with it. They both avoided some questions. Pence more than Harris. Though Harris not answering the Supreme court question will be remembered. Which by the way was asked by Pence and not the Moderator! She also missed some opportunities e.g. how Trump abandoned the Kurds. I'm no Trump supporter but I would call the debate a draw. Don't think it will matter much when it comes to the outcome of the election though.

Debate won't matter one bit whatsoever which is perfect for Biden as he is cruising.

It was probably a dull draw with neither having a memorable moment .

And yep the moderation was so bad, suspect she was terrified of either side accusing her of been biased thus why she allowed both especially Pence way to much leeway.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Debate won't matter one bit whatsoever which is perfect for Biden as he is cruising.

It was probably a dull draw with neither having a memorable moment .

And yep the moderation was so bad, suspect she was terrified of either side accusing her of been biased thus why she allowed both especially Pence way to much leeway.

Agree. As I said the debate won't have any bearing on the election. As an aside neither of them are blessed with much charisma. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The fly on Pence's head is being talked about on CNN.

Biden released a tweet talking about fundraising for a fly swatter, when he was holding it himself, to actually get rid of it.

Like a fly round ****e I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harris is utterly insincere and arrogant, find her incredibly off putting. Impressive that the Democrats managed to find a worse candidate than Clinton last time out

The majority of undecided voters in Phoenix Arizona on CNN were even stevens on Harris & Pence's performance in tonight's debate. They did agree that it was a good debate between the two candidates. They, especially men, liked Kamala Harris more then Pence's & Trump's stance on Covid-19. The men in this sample felt more emotionally attached to her response with her saying the American people felt they were lied to over the dumbing-down of Covid-19 occurring in the U.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Harris is utterly insincere and arrogant, find her incredibly off putting. Impressive that the Democrats managed to find a worse candidate than Clinton last time out

Wait until you catch up with the Repbulican contenders.......

Initial results of the CNN instant poll of debate watchers has been released. Poll sample is at 609 voters. 38% Dem, 33% Ind & 29% Rep.

Poll Sample Error: +/- 5.3%

Kamala Harris is the clear winner of winning tonight's debate with 59%. Mike Pence is at 38%.
    More Americans said Sen. Kamala Harris did the best job in the vice presidential debate tonight, according to a CNN Instant Poll of registered voters who watched. About six in 10 (59%) said Harris won, 38% said Vice President Mike Pence had the better night.

Those results roughly match voters’ expectations heading in to the debate. In interviews conducted before tonight’s debate, 61% of these same voters said they expected Harris to win, 36% thought Pence would.

Harris did improve her favorability rating among those who watched, according to the poll, while for Pence, the debate was a wash. In pre-debate interviews, 56% said they had a positive view of Harris, that rose to 63% after the debate. For Pence, his favorability stood at 41% in both pre- and post-debate interviews.

Both candidates who took the stage tonight are broadly seen as qualified to be president: 65% said Pence is qualified to serve as president should that become necessary, 63% said the same about Harris.

The CNN post-debate poll was conducted by SSRS by telephone and includes interviews with 609 registered voters who watched the Oct. 7 vice presidential debate. Results among debate-watchers have a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 5.3 percentage points. Respondents were originally interviewed Sept. 30 to Oct. 4 either by telephone or online, and indicated they planned to watch the debate and would be willing to be re-interviewed when it was over. Respondents initially reached online are members of the SSRS Opinion Panel, a nationally representative probability-based panel.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/vp-debate-coverage-fact-check-10-07-20/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think Pence wiped the floor with Harris frankly, effectively hammered Harris repeatedly on her record. I despise Pence, however he was far more coherent and consistent with his messaging imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Initial results of the CNN instant poll of debate watchers has been released. Poll sample is at 609 voters. 38% Dem, 33% Ind & 29% Rep.

Poll Sample Error: +/- 5.3%

Kamala Harris is the clear winner of winning tonight's debate with 59%. Mike Pence is at 38%.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/vp-debate-coverage-fact-check-10-07-20/index.html

CNN = DEMOCRAT MOUTH PIECE

FOX = REPUBLICAN MOUTH PIECE

you believe cnn? Pluuuuueeese!

Think for yourself and don’t follow propaganda!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Think Pence wiped the floor with Harris frankly, effectively hammered Harris repeatedly on her record. I despise Pence, however he was far more coherent and consistent with his messaging imo.

What messages exactly?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Nobody gives a flying F about VP debates and everyone involved knows it. Once there is no meltdown moment, or someone doesn't admit they are a Nazi or a communist that's a successful debate from either side.

Both will be happy with the result, neither of them had to answer any questions they didn't want to and nobody will have some viral gotcha moment that will hurt the campaign.

A dull draw with two typically insincere politicians. Good to have it out of the way, not long to go now

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

She seems to poll very well, with record breaking funds raised when she was announced on the ticket.

It appears therefore that your last sentence is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Harris was awful last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

paul71 wrote: »
    What?

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20151106-is-msg-as-bad-as-its-made-out-to-be

Monosodium glutamate’s notoriety took off in 1968 when Dr Ho Man Kwok wrote a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine musing about the possible causes of a syndrome he experienced whenever he ate at Chinese restaurants in the US.

i.e letter to the editor, not peer reviewed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only saw clips but it was like every other VP debate I've seen: feisty but the shadow boxing of two folk without any real stakes in the race. Knowing that nothing they say will sway voters one way or the other.

Not sure where I see Harris' supposedly awful performance suggested by some here, because it seemed very typical of her. Combatative, with the methodology and presentation formed from her prosectorial background. May not be to everyone's tastes with politicians but she seemed to be more animated and "in charge". I don't rate her politics but think she is a good operator all the same. That may yet be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Goes to show what an absolute mess the GOP is in when people are awarding bonus points to Mike Pence for not being a loud, ranting, mess. "He was calm, at least".

You know, for showing the most basic level of decorum one would expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She really wasn't. Pence was as low on details as expected. Harris is a pretty fearsome debater.

Pence at least behaved like a gentleman.
    Mother has taught him well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Just seemed like a load of question dodging last night.

Rattling off their monologues, rather than answering the questions, from both parties.

Mike Pence looks like the stock villain to a long delayed direct-to-DVD sequel to an 80s/90s action movie.

As mentioned, this won't have much of an impact on anything anyway.

440Hertz wrote: »

Or is it Village of the Damned?

I'm surprised they managed to automate the switch at the back of his head to move his eyes ala action man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Igotadose wrote: »
    "Ease your passing." Sorry no one would say that in the US. Gimli did dramatically sat that to an orc in The Two Towers if I remember correctly.

It's a widely used comment in regards to death in other anglophone countries including Ireland so I doubt it's a LotR reference

gmisk wrote: »
    She really wasn't. Pence was as low on details as expected. Harris is a pretty fearsome debater.

Pence at least behaved like a gentleman.
    Mother has taught him well

Harris is quite clearly an intelligent woman but if she's a fearsome debater, she has yet to show it.

She disappeared meekly in the primary and hardly tore a dullard like Pence a new one last night.

Harris is quite clearly an intelligent woman but if she's a fearsome debater, she has yet to show it.

She disappeared meekly in the primary and hardly tore a dullard like Pence a new one last night.

I suggest you watch her questioning Bill Barr in the senate

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    I suggest you watch her questioning Bill Barr in the senate

That is not a debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Vital for a black woman in the US not to seem angry or aggressive, even when provoked. This is why she responded to interruptions with a polite "Mr. VP, I'm Speaking" instead of "will you shut up man"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, context is important here. And worth remembering that gender / racial sensibilities can be 20 years behind the curve in certain parts of the US; the sad reality is that, for a black female politician, there's a very thin line to walk in presenting an "acceptable" template on TV. It sounds farcical but is a phenomenon well understood: that black folk can't seem overly angry or passionate as that feeds into racial bias; while women in power have to avoid coming across too aggressive. Or seeming "shrill" as is the codeword used by chauvinistic male viewers. Or many women too, given how 2016 panned out.

Think on Mike Pence's own retrograde views of women, and I could hear Harris' backstage advice to go softly in front of a national audience. Don't attack the evangelical or it'll feed into every Confirmation Bias going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Michael Steele was on MSNBC and his take was very good.

He said the both did what they needed to do. Pence pivoted like any politician would and Harris kept calm and made her points.

Wallace made the point that the VP debate only really matters when your Pres nomination bombed. Trump needed a boost from Pence and he got a steady performance. Biden won the first one so all Harris had to do was hammer the points home, which she did.

This debate didn't move the needle.

And for those saying it was boring - that's a nice change from 45 aggresively spewing BS.

Do go on...

What aspects did you think were awful?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement