Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I've said it before in this thread as someone who has counted elections for 20 years - and bear in mind we don't allow it in Ireland - there is zero justification for asking for or expecting ballots received after election day to be counted.

The date of this election has been known for 4 years, the options to vote early or mail in your ballot have been open for many weeks already. If a ballot doesn't make it on time that's nobody's fault except the voter. These court petitions undermine confidence in the vote and that's the last thing that's needed. In reality, "late" ballots would not add up to the margin of error anyway.
    Received or cast?

A voter who casts their vote before the polls close should have their vote counted. You can't expect voters to be responsible for delays in the postal system that they have no part in, especially if that postal system is unusually busy because of the election or if that postal system is being deliberately hobbled by people who have an interest in postal votes not being counted.

A sensible approach is to count every vote that is cast before a well defined cutoff point that is clear and unambiguous to all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I've said it before in this thread as someone who has counted elections for 20 years - and bear in mind we don't allow it in Ireland - there is zero justification for asking for or expecting ballots received after election day to be counted.

Our president has never attempted to hobble the postal system in a deliberate attempt to surpress voters.

I'll ask again, why would anyone want to see legitimate votes excluded?

Enough time was already allocated for postal votes.

Not the case.

USPS services have been deliberately restricted over the last few months.

If you don't think votes will be delayed as a result, where's the harm in making sure by allowing all postal votes posted before the cut-off?

Again, I'll ask the question you keep avoiding.

Why would you want legitimate votes not counted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I don't - you're just inferring that, without justification.

The final date of posting given to those mailing their votes generally factors in postal delays so that even should they occur, there would be ample time for the electorate to get their votes in regardless.

The final date given to those mailing their votes generally factors in postal delays so that even should they occur, there would be ample time for the electorate to get their votes in regardless.

So if the voter has posted their vote before the final date....

why should their vote not be counted?

Come on, if you're going to be glad that some votes are likely to be excluded, at least have the balls to own it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The final date of posting given to those mailing their votes generally factors in postal delays so that even should they occur, there would be ample time for the electorate to get their votes in regardless.

Sounds suboptimal if your goal is to fully reflect the will of the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Graham wrote: »
    Our president has never attempted to hobble the postal system in a deliberate attempt to surpress voters.

I'll ask again, why would anyone want to see legitimate votes excluded?

Quite right, but the integrity of system is only as good as its record. Its incumbent on the individual to make themselves aware of potential delays, bottle necks, outside influences and treat their ballot accordingly.

Where do you draw the line of legitimacy? If the ballot arrives by post next Wednesday? Next weekend? Next Christmas? Next April?

For many very good reasons, postal ballots should arrive no later than the latest a person can cast a vote in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Walmart has taken the unusual step of removing guns and ammo from the shelves ahead of Tuesday.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/walmart-pulls-guns-ammo-from-shelves-as-precaution-against-possible-post-election-day-rioting/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

There isn't why else would the GOP deliberately try to hamstring the postal system a couple of weeks before the election. Why do I see people standing in lines that only compare with African elections.

It has never taken me more than 10 minutes to get into a line and vote in Ireland. It has never taken me more than 10 to 15 minutes to drive to a polling station, the same can be said of most 1st world democracies except the US.

That is due to 40 to 50 years of deliberate voter suppression and this year it looks like Americans have finally had enough of that suppression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

<B>
    </B>

Trump will win reelection. Never been in doubt. You really shouldn't let the polling sway you.

Just shy of 2/1 on the Exchanges right now, make yourself a few quid.

Exactly! Time was allocated before the election started that allowed for postal votes, postmarked on/before Nov 3, and received by Nov 10, to be counted. The people were told this was how the system would work, and they, the People, acted accordingly!

Why would anyone want to use legal manoeuvres to thwart the Peoples' right to vote, in accordance with the rules they were told to abide by? There's only ONE reason: Prevent their vote from being counted...

That's outright, blatant VOTER SUPPRESSION! When Mugabe did it, he was excoriated! And rightly so! It was wrong then, and it's wrong now!

ANYONE who hails this has no wish to hear, and abide by, the Will of the People!

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Walmart has taken the unusual step of removing guns and ammo from the shelves ahead of Tuesday.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/walmart-pulls-guns-ammo-from-shelves-as-precaution-against-possible-post-election-day-rioting/

I would suggest seeing the equivalent of Tesco Extra with a section for guns and ammo just along from the homewares and birthday cards is unusual in itself, but I accept that's a parochial standard.

Quite right, but the integrity of system is only as good as its record. Its incumbent on the individual to make themselves aware of potential delays, bottle necks, outside influences and treat their ballot accordingly.

I agree that an individual bears a responsibility for casting their vote in the prescribed manner and within the prescribed timelines.

However if it subsequently turns out the individuals vote may be excluded as a result of the failure of the provided systems, it is not unreasonable to suggest allowances should be made to ensure the inclusion of as many legitimate votes as is reasonably possible.

To do otherwise can only be voter suppression

That counts double in a case where one of the candidates holds such influence on the provided systems (USPS).

So if the voter has posted their vote before the final date....

They will count, as like I said, the advice is always to get your vote mailed by a certain date and that date is usually arrived at by factoring in realistic delays.
    Come on, if you're going to be glad that some votes are likely to be excluded, at least have the balls to own it.
    I want all eligible voters who have voted by mail to have their votes counted and I feel they have been given enough time to ensure that happens.

They will count, as like I said, the advice is always to get your vote mailed by a certain date and that date usual is arrived at by factoring in realistic delays.

and in the case of unrealistic delays because overtime at the USPS has been restricted and sorting machines have been decommissioned?

You can dance around it all you like but the question remains

Why would you want legitimate votes to go uncounted?

I do agree that the States/Counties made themselves a hostage to fortune by setting it up so that ballots *cast* by Nov 3 rather than *received* by Nov would be counted.

If that's how they've always done it, then it should have been changed to reflect the rather obvious increase in advance and remote voting due to the current circumstances.

But the IRS still accepts returns postmarked on Tax Day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The date of this election has been known for 4 years, the options to vote early or mail in your ballot have been open for many weeks already. If a ballot doesn't make it on time that's nobody's fault except the voter. These court petitions undermine confidence in the vote and that's the last thing that's needed. In reality, "late" ballots would not add up to the margin of error anyway.

That's all fine and dandy, and I can see the merits in what you're saying.

However, the U.S. System is based on States' rules, and they allow various post-election cut-off dates for postal votes and the rules around those dates have been communicated to voters.

So, the merits or otherwise of allowing votes that arrive after Election day are highly relevant when the rules are being made, but once the rules have been made, and made public, whether they're good, bad or indifferent is irrelevant! They are the rules!

So, your point, "there is zero justification for asking for or expecting ballots received after election day to be counted" is simply wrong. The justification is that the rules allow them. A ballot should only be considered 'late' if it does not conform to the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

Texas, where a student cannot use their university of Texas ID to vote but someone who has a concealed gun permit can.

This is a classic suppression tactic and it is the type of thing that is widespread, targeted at the educated, catering to the rapid right.

and in the case of unrealistic delays because overtime at the USPS has been restricted and sorting machines have been decommissioned?
    There are no unrealistic delays that would not be covered by the advice given.

For example I have just gone through all the States and checked how many days before the Election they advised people to post their votes by and mostly it is between 21 days to 30 days, and the rest generally 8-21 days:

https://www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/
    You can dance around it all you like but the question remains

Why would you want legitimate votes to go uncounted?

Nobody's dancing around anything. I believe voting systems should be set up to ensure that the result is arrived at as soon as possible and therefore extensions should not be remotely entertained. Sadly, in some States, they are.

Just watching Amy Klobuchar (minnesota Dem senator) on with Chris Cuomo on CNN decrying the appeal court decision.

She's right of course, that two Republican electors of the College can go to a Court with a Republican appointed majority to seek a decision likely to benefit Republican candidates is bull**** altogether. But, the system has tripped itself up here big style.

For example, Klobuchar (and I'm sure a million similar tweets) are now saying to Minnesota voters who haven't mailed their ballots, to NOT do so tomorrow morning but to A) bring them to a drop box or B) not use the mail in ballot but instead turn up to vote in person.

Thats all fine, but according to herself when questioned on it precisely by Cuomo, IF a voter turns up to vote in person instead, the voter DOES NOT NEED TO PROVIDE PROOF that they haven't used the postal ballot. Now, how that setup is supposed to assure integrity of any sort to the system is beyond me and its no wonder the only people benefitting from these systems in the US are the lawyers.

In Ireland, by contrast, if you receive a postal vote, your name on the register is coded with an 'S' to show that you have already received a ballot and that the presiding officer on the day will refuse to let you vote in person. Any excuses or stories of mislaid or late postal votes cut no ice.

• Advertisement

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    the U.S. System is based on States' rules, and they allow various post-election cut-off dates for postal votes and the rules around those dates have been communicated to voters.

Exactly.

Where a voter has submitted their vote in accordance with those rules, it's only fair that their vote be counted.

I am surprised that there are people that think otherwise.

As much as I want to see someone else in the Whitehouse, there's no way I'd like to see that achieved at the expense of the democratic process.

Remember when Trump blamed rain for not going to the WWI Memorial (when it's reported he didn't go because they are "losers")?

Well, here is "sleepy" "hidin" Joe Biden

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1321960421025341442?s=20

Delivering a speech in a rally speech he refused to postpone or cancel.

Quote this post tomorrow when Hannity or Limbaugh complain about him giving his voters pneumonia to counterpoint Trump leaving his voters out in the cold the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump will win reelection. Never been in doubt. You really shouldn't let the polling sway you.

Just shy of 2/1 on the Exchanges right now, make yourself a few quid.

Really?

The Mueller investigation?
    The impeachment trial?
    The pulling out of the Paris Accord?
    The failure to build the wall?
    The failure to jail Hillary?
    The failure to drain the swamp?
    The Covid Press conference fiascos?
    The revelation he understated Covid-19?
    The 'good people on all sides' speech?
    The 'Bleach' incident?
    The BLM violence facilitated photo-shoots?
    The worst unemployment figures ever?
    The 215 indictments?
    The tax revelations?
    The undisclosed Chinese Bank Account?
    The 20,000 lies?
    The inciteful tweets calling on people to liberate Michigan weeks before a plot to kidnap and kill the governor was foiled?
    The first debate demonstration of petulance and ignorance?
    The pulling out of the second debate?
    The walking out of the 60 minutes interview?
    The volume of former employees advocating against him?
    The volume of Republicans advocating against him?
    The number of times he has played golf in 4 years being more than Obama did in 8?
    The use of his properties for governmental business meaning he profited?
    The overriding of security chiefs to ensure Jared got top-secret clearance?
    The widening of the Bidens lead in the polls nationwide over the last few weeks?

But you think it has never been in doubt that he is going to win?

He might do, but there is zero evidence to suggest it is beyond doubt.

Don't recall if this was shared yet.

https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/1321746320462389249?s=20

Ossof handed Perdue his lunch on Wednesday night.

Since this went viral, Perdue announced he will not be returning for the 2nd scheduled debate:

“As lovely as another debating listening to Jon Ossoff lie to the people of Georgia sounds, Sen. Perdue will not be participating in the WSB-TV debate but will instead join the 45th president, Donald J. Trump, for a huge Get-Out-The-Vote rally in Northwest Georgia,” Perdue spokesman John Burke said.

That man is essentially too busy being taken care of in the burn ward to stand up straight for a debate. Their race is a dead heat. I hope that the debate commissioners will still give Ossoff the allotted time in a town hall or interview format like they did in South Carolina when Lindsey Graham canceled his in-person debate with Jaime Harrison because Graham refused to submit a negative Covid test.

Really?

Yes, really.
    The Mueller investigation?
    One of the main reasons Trump will be reelected as the American people now see how Russian misinformation, paid for by HRC, was used to frame Trump for conspiring with the Kremlin to fix the 2016 Election. He was not compromised and the disgusting salacious details within the dossier were untrue. HBO dramas don't suddenly give them credence.
    The impeachment trial?
    The only people who believed that held water were anti-Trumpers. Adam Schiff dramatized it mafia style as he knew on it's face Trump had done no wrong and just asked the new Ukraine president to look into a matter that been reported on about the Bidens and Shokin and if all was well there. The truth was all he sought.
    The pulling out of the Paris Accord?
    He'll garner more supporters for doing that than lose them. Odd that you think that would hinder his chances of reelection.
    The failure to build the wall?
    lol. No wonder Twitter locked out the CBP Chief yesterday, so the left could continue to spin their lies. The wall is being built, 400 Miles of new wall, replacing old ineffective fencing mostly, which is what Trump said he wanted to do when campaigning in 2016:

https://twitter.com/DHS_Wolf/status/1321817215910486018
    The failure to jail Hillary?
    The failure to drain the swamp?
    Loading ...
    The Covid Press conference fiascos?
    You mean the fiasco of left spinning lighthearted recollections of previous conversations about future research into suggestions Trump has told people to inject bleach? Yeah, more reason to vote for him.
    The revelation he understated Covid-19?
    Understandable, Obama said H1N1 was nothing to be concerned about. 60 Million contracted it. Good job it wasn't as lethal. In terms of action though. the taskforce did all that could be asked of them. It's a Global pandemic. Not everything has to be used as a political football.
    The 'good people on all sides' speech?
    There was.
    The worst unemployment figures ever?
    Lowest unemployment rate in 50 years pre-Covid - he'll bring it back
    The 215 indictments?
    Not one member of the Trump Campaign was charged with conspiring / colluding with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election.
    The tax revelations?
    There were no "revelations" - he overpaid his tax. Tax avoidance is smart. Tax evasion is illegal. When he does the latter you can call it a "revelation".
    The undisclosed Chinese Bank Account?
    Nothing burger.
    The 20,000 lies?
    lol.
    The inciteful tweets calling on people to liberate Michigan weeks before a plot to kidnap and kill the governor was foiled?
    Won't lose a single vote over them.
    The first debate demonstration of petulance and ignorance?
    Biden's lies far more worrisome.
    The pulling out of the second debate?
    Nobody wanted to see a virtual debate. ]
    The walking out of the 60 minutes interview?
    37 minutes he gave them and all they did was talk nonsense. No follow up questions to his assertions, just cheeky contradictions. Biden got a cakewalk though.
    The volume of former employees advocating against him?
    Disgruntled employees with naff all to say. The NY Times 'Resistance' guy the most laughable.
    The volume of Republicans advocating against him?
    Dinosaurs mostly.
    The number of times he has played golf in 4 years being more than Obama did in 8?
    Good. Keep him fit and alert.
    The use of his properties for governmental business meaning he profited?
    Nothing Burger #773.
    The widening of the Bidens lead in the polls nationwide over the last few weeks?
    2016 says hello.
    But you think it has never been in doubt that he is going to win?
    Never. All the things you listed are largely exaggerated nothing burgers or leftist talking points which he'll not lose a single voter over and given Trump garnered all those voters from just being a reality TV show host / ex property tycoon, then chances are he'll have no trouble getting more votes now that America can see how well he can run a country and how much someone like him is needed. The Black and Hispanic vote in particular will rise given all he has done for those communities.

Especially given how America needs a leader who will stand up to the CCP and ensure law and order reigns over leftist encouraged rioting and looting. The left said Trump would start wars, he hasn't. They said he was a war monger but he's sowed the seeds of peace around the world and all while democrats lied about him, abused their powers and impeached him and generally stifled his ever move. He not only will get four more years, he deserves four more years.

Good. Keep him fit and alert.

Odd, you gave Obama nothing but grief for keeping fit and alert.
    Nothing Burger #773.

Not so fast there. Millions of dollars bilked from the taxpayer is not a nothingburger, it is measurable and traceable.
    Not one member of the Trump Campaign was charged with conspiring / colluding with Russia to interfere in the 2016 election.

If you pretend Rick Gates doesn't exist..

Yes, really.
    Never. All the things you listed are largely exaggerated nothing burgers or leftist talking points which he'll not lose a single voter over and given Trump garnered all those voters from just being a reality TV show host / ex property tycoon, then chances are he'll have no trouble getting more votes now that America can see how well he can run a country and how much someone like him is needed. The Black and Hispanic vote in particular will rise given all he has done for those communities.

Especially given how America needs a leader who will stand up to the CCP and ensure law and order reigns over leftist encouraged rioting and looting. The left said Trump would start wars, he hasn't. They said he was a war monger but he's sowed the seeds of peace around the world and all while democrats lied about him, abused their powers and impeached him and generally stifled his ever move. He not only will get four more years, he deserves four more years.

I admire your persistence and commitment in the face of reality.

Some people might buy it but no one who cared to listen to his words, read his tweets and watch his behaviour would buy in to this narrative for a second.

You seem more confident now than you did 2 weeks or a month ago which is truly bizarre given what has gone on in the time since.

I would genuinely love to have a real life conversation with you to see the look in your eyes as you say the words you have typed here.

The bit in bold here is just so off the charts devoid of evidence that I think one of the two of us have been trapped watching a Truman show type scenario of Trump for the last 4 years.

We'll find out which of us it was next week.

Overheal wrote: »
    If you pretend Rick Gates doesn't exist..

That's just Pete being selective in his argument.

I stated that there had been 215 indictments, he specifically intentionally referred to being charged with Russia collusion so as to try to whitewash the actual criminal behaviour with did happen.

So much for 'I'll hire the best people' etc when so many of them have convictions and jail sentences after working for him.

2 Ohio Republicans plead guilty to $60M bribery scandal for Nuclear and Coal bailout.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/two-ohio-republicans-plead-guilty-in-alleged-60-millio-1845524754

As part of his plea agreement, Longstreth admitted that he helped organize and manage the bank accounts of Generation Now, a nonprofit group set up “to receive undisclosed donations to benefit Householder and to advance Householder’s efforts to become speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives.” An FBI affidavit said Longstreth funneled more than $5 million in bribes through the organization. Meanwhile, Cespedes admitted in a separate statement of facts to organizing the organization’s payments “in return for specific official action by Householder relating to the passage and preservation of legislation that would go into effect and save the operation of two nuclear power plants in Ohio.” The payments also reportedly went toward fighting off a ballot initiative trying to overturn the $1.3 billion bailout of the plants outlined in HB 6.

“Today’s guilty pleas by Longstreth & Cespedes move the HB6 racketeering scandal from allegation to admitted fact,” Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost posted on Twitter. “The only remaining question: ‘who else?’ My team, including a forensic accountant, is going through the first batch of documents in our civil racketeering lawsuit.”

Wonder if that will depress red turnout.

• Advertisement

Big OOOF.

It looks like the author of a phony intelligence document that makes allegations about Hunter Biden is, for their own part, a complete fabrication as well. Literally. Martin Aspen, an allegedly Swiss Intel Officer, never existed, his purported employers have no trace of him and his profile image isn’t swiped off the internet but was a computer generated composite using an AI face generator.
    When reached for comment, Christopher Balding, a blogger and professor who was one of the first to post the document and took partial credit for writing it, confirmed to the outlet that Aspen doesn’t exist. According to Balding, Aspen is “an entirely fictional individual created solely for the purpose of releasing this report.”

https://gizmodo.com/author-behind-bogus-hunter-biden-report-isnt-real-eithe-1845525713

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sp after the great surprise from tucker Carlson getting lost and then being found, it seems mr Carlson has decided to lay off Hunter Biden. I think it’s fair to say that this change of heart is due to the big surprise being not as promised(or even close) and not that tucker Carlson has had a change of heart.

Also, that clip from Georgia on the previous page is glorious. The GOP don’t like it when people use facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not exactly sure what either of you are suggesting but (Fox News association sneers aside) the source is clearly credible and I see nothing to suggest they are not.

If the ballot turns out to be fake, direct your incredulity at them.

https://twitter.com/jakejakeny/status/1321918394241896448

So we've gone from the tucker Carlson excuse of 'the dog ate it' when the laptop went missing, to the 'note from the 'parent' given to the teacher' with this 'evidence'.

Who are you trying to convince here? Us or yourself?

The level of proof you seem to have been accepting when it comes to damming evidence against your foes has taken a trajectory not too dissimilar to trump's run in the polls as we get closer to election day.

Seriously, the level would not be accepted in a primary school.

You then say 'If the ballot turns out to be fake, direct your incredulity at them.' I think the majority will be directing our incredulity at you for accepting these as legitimate and no amount of virtue signalling will help the pain when you hit the floor of realisation that you've been completely and utterly duped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more talk of betting please. Posts deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Not exactly sure what either of you are suggesting but (Fox News association sneers aside) the source is clearly credible and I see nothing to suggest they are not.

If the ballot turns out to be fake, direct your incredulity at them.

https://twitter.com/jakejakeny/status/1321918394241896448

Riddle me this Pete: if you’re going to commit election fraud, a felony, why would you do in in a district Biden will win by 40 points in a state he’ll win by 30 pounds points?

The return on investment here is zero. It makes no sense. Maybe you’ve been taken in here.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No problem, should that happen, and as soon as I see the guts of the Politics forum carry all their gullibility for believing Trump was a compromised agent of the Kremlin, I'll post my mea culpas re the filled in ballots.
    In other news, MN is not going the way of PA, thankfully:

https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1321953042271506432

You’re thankful peoples votes won’t be counted? That is desperation

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It never ceases to amaze me how many trump supporters on here go from one out right lie to the next.... Never admitting the clear lies they have been caught out with previously.

Its like trumps grandiose narcissism is catching with them.

There is a complete psychological failure to recognise that their lies have been unearthed so they just blank it off and move onto the next clear brazen lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I honestly wonder if we’ll ever manage to get to normal, even slightly.

And by normal I mean a degree of civility, people being elected based on their plans to deal with actual issues facing Americans and being able to disagree and debate eachother without resorting to personal family nonsense. Politics has always been dirty but the last 6 years or so have brought extreme bipartisanship to the point where someone being elected who you don’t agree with could incite violence. And what’s worse is these feelings of anger and resentment have been encouraged by the current administration.

Biden might win next week(I expect him to) but that won’t reset the state of politics. America has a real fight on its hands to maintain its democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I understand and reluctantly accept that politicians lie and can be two faced, but the about turn Trump has managed to instil in who have become some of his most fervent supporters is quite extraordinary.

I watched the 2016 campaigns all the way through. There was a visceral response to Trump by Cruz, Rubio, Graham etc. Again, I accept that in the run up to the 2020 Dem candidate being named, Harris took a swipe at Biden, as did others, but there was nothing like the way the Rep candidates in 2016 tore shreds off Trump.

Here is a clip of Graham, who actually appeared likeable (*gulp) back then

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1321935089308229638?s=20

What strikes me most is you can see how comfortable he is in speaking what he believes to be the truth. I cannot swallow that this is "just how politics" is and "they are all the same".

It would make you wonder how Trump has managed to call them all to heel to back him up so much in the 2020 campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

everlast75 wrote: »
    It would make you wonder how Trump has managed to call them all to heel to back him up so much in the 2020 campaign.

The world and his mother know the answer when it comes to why Lindsay Graham changed his tune.

As for everyone else im guessing its something like money and russia, ie they took money they didnt know or care about where it was coming from and once trump became nominee it was slowly shown to them how deep they actually were in it without knowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

These court petitions undermine confidence in the vote and that's the last thing that's needed. In reality, "late" ballots would not add up to the margin of error anyway.

Judging by your post you're old enough to remember Florida in 2000 which was decided by 537 votes for a winning margin of 0.009%.

The fact that this matter could be critical to determining the election should be self evident by the fact that the two parties are already fighting tooth and nail in the courts about it and likely will be for the next week, at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

No more talk of betting please. Posts deleted.

With all due respect can I ask what the issue is with discussing betting on the election?

The bets themselves reflect public sentiment which is of itself of interest to people discussing every other single aspect of this election.

The soccer and MMA forums are full of betting chat - it's just part and parcel of watching those activities and frankly the US election is as much entertainment as any sport - it has already become the largest event in history in terms of money wagered.

Betting is a legal activity in this country (it's not like people are asking for IPTV streams for example) and I can't see anything in the forum charter against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He gave them the tax cuts they wanted. He gave them the type of noises on social issues they wanted. He gave them the judges they wanted. His base shouted by far the loudest of all factions of the GOP electorate. He took over the party.

Now they are deathly afraid of distancing from him for fear his base don’t punch their names down the ticket. There are some interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

If the allegations are true you would hardly expect a Biden supporter to be the one bringing them forward.

But you would expect the tweeter to flag it with NYC Board of Elections, not just his fellow right-wing media hacks surely, yes?
    Edit... because I see they had to reach out to him further down the tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

everlast75 wrote: »
    (Graham)
    What strikes me most is you can see how comfortable he is in speaking what he believes to be the truth.

Graham was always a worm. He used to be McCains worm, with McCain gone, he glommed onto Trump. He never sincerely believed anything, he just signed for a different team.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

With all due respect can I ask what the issue is with discussing betting on the election?

The bets themselves reflect public sentiment which is of itself of interest to people discussing every other single aspect of this election.

The soccer and MMA forums are full of betting chat - it's just part and parcel of watching those activities and frankly the US election is as much entertainment as any sport - it has already become the largest event in history in terms of money wagered.

Betting is a legal activity in this country (it's not like people are asking for IPTV streams for example) and I can't see anything in the forum charter against it.

##Mod Note##

Please don't discuss moderation on thread, send a PM with questions.

However, for clarity - Other forums can set whatever guidelines they like, but here we so not want this to devolving into discussions on odds or where to get the best return etc.

There are other fora for that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Trump's down to 10% probability in the 538 forecast, which doesn't mean a tonne, but it does mean we might see the elusive "Biden is clearly favored to win the election" make an appearance later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Oh and Ezra Klein and Nate Silver chat about the election for about an hour on Ezra's podcast here:
    https://www.vox.com/21538214/nate-silver-538-2020-forecast-2016-trump-biden-election-podcast

STATS BABY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

What do posters here make of the Target Smart website that claims to model which way every state is leaning in early votes - overall, seems to be broadly in line with polling, but they're giving Trump a huge lead in Texas?

https://targetearly.targetsmart.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's an interview with Newt Gingrich via Fox who claims that Trump will get 326 electoral college votes and is based on polls he trusts. Given he got 304 in 2016, this seems quite mad.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/10/28/gingrich_map_of_trump_with_326_electoral_votes_looks_right_left_is_going_to_be_terribly_shocked.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

What do posters here make of the Target Smart website that claims to model which way every state is leaning in early votes - overall, seems to be broadly in line with polling, but they're giving Trump a huge lead in Texas?

https://targetearly.targetsmart.com

They lean red and there's no registered early voter data for Texas so its all conjecture.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement