Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't got it what's difference between b and c, and why multiple languages?

There isn't an actual official language in the USA. English is the de-facto language but in areas with many first generation immigrants who cannot speak English, such as New York in this case, businesses and public services will cater to the most common languages in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

The one thing we can safely say is that early voting will exceed 100 million, having already moved from 75m to 81m today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Trump is in serious trouble. His polling is horrible, even more so than in 2016 and what's worse again, he's showing no signs of a late surge this time. Given covid and the fact that the economy is a mess, I struggle to believe that an increased turnout will help Trump. I actually think that Biden might just win this decisively.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ah here, how can this nonsense be happening:

https://twitter.com/jakejakeny/status/1321900543451799559

Ah Pete, thats embarrassing! That's a whole new low, I know Trumps fans are desperate at this stage but that? Wow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

A truly pathetic post, Pete... Standards are slipping!

Sample ballots are available there, to explain how the voting process works...

https://findmypollsite.vote.nyc/?hn=&sn=&zip=11418#top

Try harder and please stop insulting our intelligence!

• Advertisement

Here's a sample ballot from the Board of Elections for Queens, NYC:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah Pete, thats embarrassing! That's a whole new low, I know Trumps fans are desperate at this stage but that? Wow!!
    TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A truly pathetic post, Pete... Standards are slipping!

Not exactly sure what either of you are suggesting but (Fox News association sneers aside) the source is clearly credible and I see nothing to suggest they are not.

If the ballot turns out to be fake, direct your incredulity at them.

https://twitter.com/jakejakeny/status/1321918394241896448

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not exactly sure what either of you are suggesting but (Fox News association sneers aside) the source is clearly credible and I see nothing to suggest they are not.

Have you given up on the Hunter Biden theory peddled by Rudy "I was just tucking in my shirt" Gulliani and Tucker "it got lost in the mail" Carlson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

His bio also says that he's heavily associated with Fox News.

I also checked out his personal website (aside: the very worst layout that I have seen on a website in many years) and found this in the "Trump Policies" section

I dunno - something tells me that this guy might not be a neutral conveyor of the facts.

If the allegations are true you would hardly expect a Biden supporter to be the one bringing them forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭briany

Never heard of electoral fraud being much of an issue in previous U.S. presidential elections. Not saying it doesn't happen to some degree but never to the point of it being decisive. No doubt if Biden wins, Trump fans will be screaming about it from the hilltops, but would they countenance the idea, even just for a second, that the polls were right?

In the words of Trump, "We'll have to wait and see..."

• Advertisement

As I understand it, Barrett's participation may be unlikely to make a difference anyway. The swing vote on this topic seems to be Roberts, and he's apparently making his decisions on the basis of whether or not it is appropriate for federal courts to get involved in this sort of state-level voting processes. There were two cases which got up there recently about mail-in-ballot deadlines, one was Pennsylvania, the other Wisconsin. He joined with the liberal wing in the Pennsylvania case (5-3) as he believed the federal court below was wrong as a matter of process to reverse the State court. He joined with the conservative wing in the Wisconsin case as that came up through the State court system.
    https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-wisconsin-elections-us-supreme-court-dcf1e115d0804e203ef2cf9887cfabff

I don't agree with that assessment.

The PA case was decided last week. It was 4-4, and not 5-3. Because it was tied, the lower Court decision stood.

The Reps went back in to have it re-heard once Barrett was sworn in. She did NOT recuse herself; rather she declined to offer an opinion simply because she had not had time to read into the case. Therefore, the 4-4 stands right now.

However, Thomas, Alito and Gorsuch said that they might well hear it again after the election. Kavanaugh made no comment- he's probably still smarting after having been called out on his cack-handed written opinion after the Wisconsin decision! Imagine a SCOTUS decision having to be amended within 48 hours of being published!!!

Back to PA. If PA is close, and if mail-in ballots are crucial, the GOP will go back to SCOTUS, and Barrett WILL opine. I have no doubt that she will row in with Thomas/Alito/Gorsuch/Kavanaugh, and mail-in ballots will be thrown out if they don't conform to the new decision.

Furthermore, the PA GOP may well embark on a lengthy legal battle, simply to run down the clock and prevent the election being offically called. IF PA is the deciding State from an EC point of view, ( eg. Biden = 268 from all other states except PA), and the election can't be called before the Electoral College, then the Republican PA Assembly will simply appoint EC reps to give the 20 votes to Trump, REGARDLESS of how poorly Trump may have done! This would follow in the vein of Bush V Gore and the battle of Florida in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,517 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Attempting to redirect the fallout from falling for nonsense isn't going to work.

Random unemployed hack makes extraordinary claim with absolutely falsifiable "evidence", trying to get people to retweet it; rather than actually going to any authorities about it.

Why would someone receiving such a thing go to a random unemployed hack about it anyway?

And why would there be Democrat driven electoral fraud in a state they would win under any circumstances?

If (sorry, when) it turns out to be fake, you need to carry all the gullibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Interesting .... Trump has no chance of winning NY so i find it hard to imagine the Biden campaign sitting around desperately faking ballots in Queens. I'll add it to the digusted ex-Biden supporter breathlessly reporting the Biden advocates sex-change operations for 8 year olds, or the nassive sign in the neighbouring dustrict annoucing the endorsenent of the local Reoublican congressman by an LGBQT group that no one has ever heard of !

This is the dirtiest election I've ever seen ...most sane Republican are embarassed.... and the Proud Boys are exoected nearby tomorrow to visit a local business if which they "disaoorove".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree on that assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So the Dems are ballot stuffing in Queens? Seems a bit pointless to break the law so blatantly in a district that is as blue as the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think myself that for the above scenario to be a possibility, you would have to have Ohio and Wisconsin and Pennsylvania and Florida and Georgia and one or two others all effectively in the same situation, which is pretty unlikely.

In other words, I expect Biden to receive enough clear EC votes from States by a clear margin, not to have any one close-call State prevent the election from being called on the night. I have it as a minimum 317 to 218 to Biden, but more likely 337 to 198

• Registered Users Posts: 32,471 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So the Dems are ballot stuffing in Queens? Seems a bit pointless to break the law so blatantly in a district that is as blue as the sky!
    It's almost like its a pile of sh1t invented by a desperate campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gmisk wrote: »
    It's almost like its a pile of sh1t invented by a desperate campaign.

The district is so blue that the Republicans haven't even nominated a candidate for Congress, State Senator or the local assembly.

Ridiculous nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,471 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The district is so blue that the Republicans haven't even nominated a candidate for Congress, State Senator or the local assembly.

Ridiculous nonsense.
    Thats it tbh.

They can't even make up dirt convincingly anymore it's sad really.
    The trick might have worked at one stage...Hillary's emails etc...but it's worn very thin

• Registered Users Posts: 21,308 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here's another conspiracy theory debunked:
    'A fake “intelligence” document circulating the internet laid the groundwork for the unsubstantiated Hunter Biden conspiracy theories that Republicans have been pushing all month, NBC reports.

From NBC:

One month before a purported leak of files from Hunter Biden’s laptop, a fake “intelligence” document about him went viral on the right-wing internet, asserting an elaborate conspiracy theory involving former Vice President Joe Biden’s son and business in China.

The document, a 64-page composition that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump, appears to be the work of a fake “intelligence firm” called Typhoon Investigations, according to researchers and public documents.

The author of the document, a self-identified Swiss security analyst named Martin Aspen, is a fabricated identity, according to analysis by disinformation researchers, who also concluded that Aspen’s profile picture was created with an artificial intelligence face generator. The intelligence firm that Aspen lists as his previous employer said that no one by that name had ever worked for the company and that no one by that name lives in Switzerland, according to public records and social media searches.

One of the original posters of the document, a blogger and professor named Christopher Balding, took credit for writing parts of it when asked about it and said Aspen does not exist.

Despite the document’s questionable authorship and anonymous sourcing, its claims that Hunter Biden has a problematic connection to the Communist Party of China have been used by people who oppose the Chinese government, as well as by far-right influencers, to baselessly accuse candidate Joe Biden of being beholden to the Chinese government.

The fake intelligence document, however, preceded the leak by months, and it helped lay the groundwork among right-wing media for what would become a failed October surprise: a viral pile-on of conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden.' Guardian

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    If (sorry, when) it turns out to be fake, you need to carry all the gullibility.

No problem, should that happen, and as soon as I see the guts of the Politics forum carry all their gullibility for believing Trump was a compromised agent of the Kremlin, I'll post my mea culpas re the filled in ballots.

In other news, MN is not going the way of PA, thankfully:

https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1321953042271506432

No problem, should that happen, and as soon as I see the guts of the Politics forum carry all their gullibility for believing Trump was a compromised agent of the Kremlin

So even when it turns out to be nonsense, you admitting that you were gullible is dependent on something else?

I'm not really sure you get how this works. You're either gullible or you're not.

There is an awful lot of attempts at spoilers like "her emails!" 2.0 going around, and you have posted some of them. They're all amateur gubbins.

I don't honestly expect to see you post here ever again after maybe the 5th, though, so this is all rather irrelvant.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No problem, should that happen, and as soon as I see the guts of the Politics forum carry all their gullibility for believing Trump was a compromised agent of the Kremlin, I'll post my mea culpas re the filled in ballots.

https://twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1321953042271506432

3 judge panel, one Obama, GWB, and Trump appointee.

Here is the opinion:

https://ecf.ca8.uscourts.gov/opndir/20/10/203139P.pdf

2 Business days before Election Day was not the best time to change the Status Quo with 80 million votes already cast.

L1011 wrote: »
    I don't honestly expect to see you post here ever again after maybe the 5th, though, so this is all rather irrelvant.

Why would I not post here again after Trump wins reelection?

Why would I not post here again after Trump wins reelection?

He isn't going to. And that's why we'll never see you again

Correct. He isn't going to be reelected. He is going to lose by 200 or so electoral college votes and by 10 to 15 million, at least, in the popular vote.

The only contest still too close to call is the US Senate, but if I had to choose I'd say the Dems will take it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why would you be pleased that some voters may not have their votes counted?

Wouldn't you rather everyone got their vote counted?

I've said it before in this thread as someone who has counted elections for 20 years - and bear in mind we don't allow it in Ireland - there is zero justification for asking for or expecting ballots received after election day to be counted.

The date of this election has been known for 4 years, the options to vote early or mail in your ballot have been open for many weeks already. If a ballot doesn't make it on time that's nobody's fault except the voter. These court petitions undermine confidence in the vote and that's the last thing that's needed. In reality, "late" ballots would not add up to the margin of error anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Graham wrote: »
    Why would you be pleased that some voters may not have their votes counted?

Wouldn't you rather everyone got their vote counted?

Unfortunately this is exactly what the Republican Party and their zealots do not want, they know time is running out, at this stage it isn't wether Trump loses the election it's all about damage limitation and trying to ensure he doesn't have the biggest loss in US presidential history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I've said it before in this thread as someone who has counted elections for 20 years - and bear in mind we don't allow it in Ireland - there is zero justification for asking for or expecting ballots received after election day to be counted.

The date of this election has been known for 4 years, the options to vote early or mail in your ballot have been open for many weeks already. If a ballot doesn't make it on time that's nobody's fault except the voter. These court petitions undermine confidence in the vote and that's the last thing that's needed. In reality, "late" ballots would not add up to the margin of error anyway.

At the same time the election doesn't really happen until December 14, which is why I think lighting hair on fire over 3-7 days to let mail rifle through a beleaguered and crippled postal system is not unreasonable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement