Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brian? wrote:
    You feel you’ve a very keen insight into the mind of the “average Joeâ€, why is that?
    I've always had it. Look back in this forum to 2014 when I predicted that Hilary would lose the election long before Trump was even mentioned.. And she did lose it, it wasn't that she was beaten by a better candidate.
    I predicted Brexit would happen because the no Brexit side were taking a stance of only idiots disagree with us while the Brexiteers were talking in the common man's language.
    I've been saying from very early on, once I seen the leading candidates for the Dems that Trump is going to win again. I know it will happen because less Democrats vote if the candidate isn't exciting. Its like the Dems have become a party of individuals where everybody wants their own thing. We need them to get on the same page and put up a candidate who will win.
    Brian? wrote:
    I seriously doubt she’ll be tagged as a slut in a debate. Maybe in twitter campaigns and Superpac ads, but it would be stupid to bring up in a debate.
    Pence will be told to bring it up as soon as things are starting to look bad for him. There'll be nothing else talked about by the average Joe once he puts that out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've been saying from very early on, once I seen the leading candidates for the Dems that Trump is going to win again. I know it will happen because less Democrats vote if the candidate isn't exciting.

Biden is crap, but this isn't true.:o

Turnout is excellent for Biden, look at Michigan , he got 250 000 more voters than Clinton did in her primary v Bernie last time round.

His base of normie dems, boomers etc basically want Obama to tuck them into bed like the good old days. Nostalgia is a powerful weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Pence will be told to bring it up as soon as things are starting to look bad for him. There'll be nothing else talked about by the average Joe once he puts that out there.
    The family values party VP, Mr. piety and gay conversion therapy himself, will talk about someone else's marital adventures after being in the Trump administration for 4 years. Really.

nah.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've always had it. Look back in this forum to 2014 when I predicted that Hilary would lose the election long before Trump was even mentioned.. And she did lose it, it wasn't that she was beaten by a better candidate.
    I predicted Brexit would happen because the no Brexit side were taking a stance of only idiots disagree with us while the Brexiteers were talking in the common man's language.
    I've been saying from very early on, once I seen the leading candidates for the Dems that Trump is going to win again. I know it will happen because less Democrats vote if the candidate isn't exciting. Its like the Dems have become a party of individuals where everybody wants their own thing. We need them to get on the same page and put up a candidate who will win.

You seem to be determined to skip over the part where the "average Joe" Den voter was offered alternatives and didn't vote for them.

Sorry, but this is laughable. If a sex scandal was going to damage someone we wouldn't have president Trump.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You’re delusional. Trump’s handling of the Coronavirus is going to be the end to of him politically. Everything else is irrelevant now. Thousands will die who could’ve been saved and you think people will be talking about some affair that some democrat VP candidate had years ago? Laughable.

Some states voting today, Ohio a mess, the Governor wants to call it off understandably until June, but the Biden team wants those nostalgic boomers out there voting. :eek:

https://twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/1239398949284458496

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1239403528260640775

Where to even begin with these supposed neutal Dem establishment shrills?

Igotadose wrote:
    The family values party VP, Mr. piety and gay conversion therapy himself, will talk about someone else's marital adventures after being in the Trump administration for 4 years. Really.
    If you can't get a at from how you think about things yourself you'll never understand.
    Brian? wrote:
    You seem to be determined to skip over the part where the "average Joe" Den voter was offered alternatives and didn't vote for them.
    Name the 40-55 year old heterosexual, non-asian candidate who made it to the primaries.
    Brian? wrote:
    Sorry, but this is laughable. If a sex scandal was going to damage someone we wouldn't have president Trump.
    Bill Clinton would have been elected again after the Monica Lewinsky affair became public.
    Katie Hill resigned quickly when an investigation.
    The difference? One is male the other is female and they are looked upon a lot differently by the average Joe.
    MadYaker wrote:
    You’re delusional. Trump’s handling of the Coronavirus is going to be the end to of him politically. Everything else is irrelevant now. Thousands will die who could’ve been saved and you think people will be talking about some affair that some democrat VP candidate had years ago? Laughable.
    It's a worldwide pandemic. The average Joe will blame foreigners for bringing it to the USA. Trump will go that way on it.
    The Dems wanting people to go.out and vote is showing them up in a terrible light.

I'm disgusted with what's going on. Trump is a disgrace and the Democrats have made an absolute mess of two elections against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Some states voting today, Ohio a mess, the Governor wants to call it off understandably until June, but the Biden team wants those nostalgic boomers out there voting. :eek:

https://twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/1239398949284458496

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1239403528260640775

Where to even begin with these supposed neutal Dem establishment shrills?

:confused:

Complete hypocrisy here, as usual. Bernie has no path to win at this point yet he is demanding the process drags on putting lives and the election at risk in the hopes of a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

IWT the figures will be overwhelming for Biden today. Would expect Sanders to talk to Biden to get as much of his agenda as possible on the ticket and step down. He can sight, public health, as the reason for not continuing, if he wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just watching Biden’s speech after tonight’s wins, a very smart move showing how presidential he is

Headshot wrote: »
    Just watching Biden’s speech after tonight’s wins, a very smart move showing how presidential he is

A speech to celebrate primary victories that should never have happened. Don't forget it was his team and Perez who wanted these to happen while Bernie was against it for obvious reasons. A well delivered speech should not atone for such recklessness with people's lives.

Pleased that one of the Justice Dems called it out.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1240064407805276161

Anyway that should be that, Bernie will drop out in the next day or so. He did the right thing to hang on as Biden looks like he might implement some of his policies which might help him shore up the youth vote.

Biden has it in spades and I'm sure the Dems must have closed the fake news deficit they seem to have had for the last election.
    Biden got voted for because people are afraid of Bernie.
    When it comes time to put somebody in the White House I don't think enough people will trust him in that position to vote for him.
    Like could he press the button to start world war 3? I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with a man in the early throws of dementia in that position.
    I despise Trump but he is in better shape to make decisions than Joe Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

Irellevant wrote: »
    Thats trump guaranteed. All talk of the coronavirus and the the economy dooming trump like everything else is irrelevant, no political norms apply to the man. Gore, Kerry, Clinton, Biden if it is broken don't fix it I guess. Maybe the only silver lining is that the left of the future wont have the possibility of imploding like Mcgovern, you can trust dem voters to vote against their own interests. Also any biden hopefuls just imagine the crooked hillary narrative but with the creepy biden videos. It wont be pretty.

I'm worried about Biden's chances of winning in terms of whether he gets enough of the democratic base out to vote. Having said that, the last thing I think would work against him would be a "creepy Biden" attack line. Trump has BRAGGED about sexual assault and has about 15 women accusing him of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,165 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

When it comes time to put somebody in the White House I don't think enough people will trust him in that position to vote for him.
    Like could he press the button to start world war 3? I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with a man in the early throws of dementia in that position.

Absolutely and utterly ridiculous statement. Beyond parody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

everlast75 wrote: »

Well. We need someone to start world war 3 it seems? :p

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote:
    You need to look at all we've seen if Biden in the last twelve months and then take a breath and you'll see I'm right, as much as I don't want to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Here we go again with a potential Democrat starting WW3 despite the fact every Dem last 70 years has cut back on military funding and operations as President.

You need to look at all we've seen if Biden in the last twelve months and then take a breath and you'll see I'm right, as much as I don't want to be.

Biden was more coherent in the debate last Sunday than anything we've seen from Trump in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The biggest asset to Biden is that he's first and foremost not an ideologue, but rather an administrator and a leader.

Whether or not he's a bit of a dope, you can be confident that unlike Trump, he'll create a cabinet that is coherent, competent and not totally corrupt.

There's only so much a president can actually do.

If Trump was as he is, but he also hired a bunch of people who weren't bootlicking imbeciles, self-serving narcissists, fascists, or a combination of some or all of those, he wouldn't be even a quarter as bad as he is.

But he's not only totally useless at bringing people in, using blind loyalty to him as the only metric for basing his hiring practices on, but he's obviously an absolute nightmare to work for, either because he's so incompetent, or so prone to sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

You can have your complaints about Tillerson as a human being, but he at least appeared to be sane and a relatively decent performer, but he, and Mattis, and all the rest of the ones who you had some measure of respect for as functioning sapient humans, couldn't stand working for Trump.

Sometimes when people give out about a person, say a footballer, or an actor, or a politician, a reasonable respone is "do you think you could do better?". The answer is usually no. That is not the case for Trump.
    Not only is he uncommonly **** at governing, but worse, he doesn't have the self-awareness to realise it.

I absolutely would do a better job than him, because I know that I'm ignorant, and that I need to find people with more experience when mine is lacking. I don't know if the majority of people know that, but many, many people do, and Biden and Sanders are certainly among them, and anyone who knows that will be better than Trump.

The bar is incredibly low, and the degree of delusion you'd have to experience to think otherwise is frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Tom Perez needs to resign for showing such reckless irresponsibility.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote:
    Here we go again with a potential Democrat starting WW3 despite the fact every Dem last 70 years has cut back on military funding and operations as President.

It's because of he appears to be in the early stages of dementia. At least that's how he's came across in most of his live appearances.

It's a worldwide pandemic. The average Joe will blame foreigners for bringing it to the USA. Trump will go that way on it.
    The Dems wanting people to go.out and vote is showing them up in a terrible light.

I'm disgusted with what's going on. Trump is a disgrace and the Democrats have made an absolute mess of two elections against him.

It is a worldwide pandemic that is true. But when the dust has settled it'll be pretty obvious that some world leaders dealt with it better than others. Trumps bright ideas were to first to call it a democrat hoax and then try and buy a vaccine under the table from Germany. No testing, no contact tracing, no federal leadership whatsoever on the exact type of crisis that requires federal leadership from the president.

You said yourself it's a global pandemic how can he blame it on foreigners? He's 100% done because of this. In a few weeks America will be like a worse version of Italy, old people dieing in their homes etc etc. It's also going to take a sledge hammer to the American economy and it's going to take years to recover, American voters don't like that. Trump is finished 100% it'll be a landslide.

MadYaker wrote:
    You said yourself it's a global pandemic how can he blame it on foreigners? He's 100% done because of this. In a few weeks America will be like a worse version of Italy, old people dieing in their homes etc etc. It's also going to take a sledge hammer to the American economy and it's going to take years to recover, American voters don't like that. Trump is finished 100% it'll be a landslide.
    Trump is already at what I was predicting. He is calling it The 'Chinese virus'.
    Biden had an opportunity there but squandered it telling people to go out and vote. He showed no concern for keeping people safe.

Trump is already at what I was predicting. He is calling it The 'Chinese virus'.
    Biden had an opportunity there but squandered it telling people to go out and vote. He showed no concern for keeping people safe.

Trump can call it whatever he likes. After it's killed thousands of Americans who would've lived if he was a leader he'll be done. If he doesn't get it and die also. Most scientists estimate 70 - 80% of the American population will contract it over the next 6 months, his odds aren't great.

For what it's worth I never thought mueller, daniels or the impeachment or anything else would finish him but I think this will. The person in charge always take the fall regardless of how much blame they deserve. Trump deserves most of it here.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It is a worldwide pandemic that is true. But when the dust has settled it'll be pretty obvious that some world leaders dealt with it better than others. Trumps bright ideas were to first to call it a democrat hoax and then try and buy a vaccine under the table from Germany. No testing, no contact tracing, no federal leadership whatsoever on the exact type of crisis that requires federal leadership from the president.

Add to that the fact they turned down testing kits from the WHO and how he got rid of the pandemic response team.

He is now trying to change direction and say he always took it seriously but he is on tape repeatedly playing it down. His base is fine ignoring things that impacted othersbut once their family members start dying then it'll be a different story. Some will stay in the cult but enough will turn against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is scant evidence for that belief though. And even less so that people would be so concerned about someone starting WW3 by mistake given the incumbent.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Why would people in blue collar Michigan be afraid of a guy that won the state last Dem primary offering them all health coverage, better wages, social housing and writing off their kids educational debts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The German test kit rejection could only have been done to enrich some US pharma cos. The price of the delay, is measured in lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

everlast75 wrote: »
    To put it mildly and the US is suffering and going to suffer worse from this virus as a result of his inaction and playing things off that it is all a hoax, no big deal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

MadYaker wrote: »

I tend to think your right about how badly he has handled this crisis and that as a direct result when things really explode in the US which they will the outcome will be way worse as a direct result and in all likelihood he will suffer as a result next November in the US general election.

• Advertisement

Too many people with goggles on in here. If you can only see things from the blue side then it's pointless talking to you. I'm for blue but I'm not blind, I've been saying for the last two years that we needed a younger candidate. I never thought it would get to the stage where the man that's going to run for president is a doddery 78 year old who appears to be in the early throws of dementia.
    You guys keep saying that covid-19 will bring down Trump but won't even discuss Biden telling people to go out and vote showing at best a complete cluelessness about the coronavirus.
    Like if you can't see the wood from the trees how are you fit to be President? How do you expect people to trust you enough to do the job?
    Trump is a horrible man but he is the incumbent and you have to show yourself to be a marked improvement to beat an incumbent. I don't think there's any chance that Joe Biden can do that.

Too many people with goggles on in here. If you can only see things from the blue side then it's pointless talking to you. I'm for blue but I'm not blind, I've been saying for the last two years that we needed a younger candidate. I never thought it would get to the stage where the man that's going to run for president is a doddery 78 year old who appears to be in the early throws of dementia.
    You guys keep saying that covid-19 will bring down Trump but won't even discuss Biden telling people to go out and vote showing at best a complete cluelessness about the coronavirus.
    Like if you can't see the wood from the trees how are you fit to be President? How do you expect people to trust you enough to do the job?
    Trump is a horrible man but he is the incumbent and you have to show yourself to be a marked improvement to beat an incumbent. I don't think there's any chance that Joe Biden can do that.

Did you watch the debate the other night?

Did you watch the debate the other night?

Have you anything to say about Joe Biden encouraging people to go out and vote?

Have you anything to say about Joe Biden encouraging people to go out and vote?

I think the fact that the primaries were held at all yesterday was a disgrace. But it isn't all on Joe.

The thing is, if you watched the debate you saw Sanders AND Biden repeatedly state that removing Trump is the priority and that they would both canvass vigorously for the other.

Bernie energises his base and they will follow his lead. Trump is toast, despite your assertions, people like Biden.

We also saw Bernie bring him a touch to the left over the last while. The longer Bernie stays in, without staying in too long, the more likely progressives will be impressed by Joe's policies or his willingness to tap Bernie's.

That will sate progressives for now if Bernie is onboard.

Getting rid of Trump should be no.1 for the DNC. Biden does this.

I think the fact that the primaries were held at all yesterday was a disgrace. But it isn't all on Joe.

Its very much on Biden, was his team who encouraged voting and his backers in the media who went mental when an Ohio governor suspended the primary i his backyard. Perez also takes serious blame for this.

We should also remember Republicans who were culpable, De Santis who is a front runner for the nomination in 2024 should never be forgiven for allowing a vote to go ahead in Florida. Look at those demos in Florida. Not Trump's fault Florida as De Santis is his own man these days.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its very much on Biden, was his team who encouraged voting and his backers in the media who went mental when an Ohio governor suspended the primary i his backyard. Perez also takes serious blame for this.

We should also remember Republicans who were culpable, De Santis who is a front runner for the nomination in 2024 should never be forgiven for allowing a vote to go ahead in Florida. Look at those demos in Florida. Not Trump's fault Florida as De Santis is his own man these days.

I'm almost certain I saw that one or more of the FL, AZ and IL governors (or similar) stated they couldn't postpone them.

I will stand corrected.

I'm almost certain I saw that one or more of the FL, AZ and IL governors (or similar) stated they couldn't postpone them.

I will stand corrected.

You could be right I could be wrong, wont be the first time:)

I seen Sinema the Arizona senator sulking about it going ahead last night so blame there seems tricky to pin down. Ron Desantis seemed content for Florida to ahead. Its a very brave call, lets hope it doesn't come back to haunt him.

People voted for Biden for a myriad of reasons. Mainly because they see him as a trustworthy candidate who has the best chance of beating Trump.

He’s not in the “early throws of dementia”. Just because you keep saying it, it doesn’t make it true.

they/them/theirs

States should be setting up alternative ways to vote. Washington state was mostly mail vote last week.

Postponing democratic voting does not set a good precedent. What's to stop Trump just cancelling 2020 election if things get much worse?

Even at the height of WW2 in 1944 primary and presidential elections were held.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

rossie1977 wrote: »
    States should be setting up alternative ways to vote. Washington state was mostly mail vote last week.

Postponing democratic voting does not set a good precedent. What's to stop Trump just cancelling 2020 election if things get much worse?

Even at the height of WW2 in 1944 primary and presidential elections were held.

It's not up to Trump to decide to cancel the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Tulsi Gabbard just dropped out. Perhaps to take a future job with the Clinton foundation j/k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Brian? wrote: »
    People voted for Biden for a myriad of reasons. Mainly because they see him as a trustworthy candidate who has the best chance of beating Trump.

He’s not in the “early throws of dementia”. Just because you keep saying it, it doesn’t make it true.

Dementia or not, he's very often like a rabbit in the headlights when in front of camera. Completely blank and expressionless. American political attack ads will destroy him and Trump will make mincemeat of him, he can't do off the cuff, he can't remember facts and figures, he hasn't got the bluster or charisma.
    Clinton was far more slick and prepared politician and she didn't make enough of a dent in Trump.

Biden is woeful, and that'll mean we're stuck for another four years of Trump.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Dementia or not, he's very often like a rabbit in the headlights when in front of camera. Completely blank and expressionless. American political attack ads will destroy him and Trump will make mincemeat of him, he can't do off the cuff, he can't remember facts and figures, he hasn't got the bluster or charisma.
    Clinton was far more slick and prepared politician and she didn't make enough of a dent in Trump.

Trump can’t form a correct sentence, how it God’s name could he destroy Biden in a debate?

Did you see the Bernie v Biden debate? Biden was very good.

they/them/theirs

Utter nonsense. Biden has gaffs but during the debate last Sunday he looked more coherent than Trump has looked in years.

The problem with Hilary is that she was disliked by so many. Trump's crap stuck to her because of this and yet she dominated the popular vote and lost the electoral college by 100k votes across 3 states.

Biden doesn't have that issue, as can be seen by how much vote he is taking from Bernie when you compare to the 2016 primary, despite all the Ukraine nonsense.

Any democrat is at a disadvantage because Trump doesn't need to be coherent, as has been shown, his support in his heartlands remains rock solid. He's a showman and it doesn't really matter what he says in modern US politics, being a showman is enough.

Trump will be delighted with Biden as the Democratic candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,165 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Any democrat is at a disadvantage because Trump doesn't need to be coherent, as has been shown, his support in his heartlands remains rock solid. He's a showman and it doesn't really matter what he says in modern US politics, being a showman is enough.

Indeed, that's why he committed an impeachable act to prevent him from running.

Gotcha!

I will stand corrected.

A big problem with postponing is that it is impossible to know when it'll be safe to hold them again. That was the ruling from the original Ohio judge and it makes sense.

With Tulsi dropping out Bernie needs to finally do the right thing and follow. He can get grumpy all he wants but if he doesn't want the press to ask questions about the primary and be able to put his full focus on helping people related to the pandemic then all he has to do is withdraw. It is typical Bernie, blaming everyone else for issues that he himself is causing.

Biden is no showman but he instills the same with those voting for him. Do you think people haven't seen his gaffs or heard about Ukraine? They are still voting for him.

Big difference with Trump this time is that he will likely have thousands of deaths that will be pointed to him being a key contributor. Harder to stick by a showman that was at fault for the death of your grandparents.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    A big problem with postponing is that it is impossible to know when it'll be safe to hold them again. That was the ruling from the original Ohio judge and it makes sense.

Well, yeah. This is why I wasn't blaming Biden fo them being held.
    With Tulsi dropping out Bernie needs to finally do the right thing and follow. He can get grumpy all he wants but if he doesn't want the press to ask questions about the primary and be able to put his full focus on helping people related to the pandemic then all he has to do is withdraw. It is typical Bernie, blaming everyone else for issues that he himself is causing.

I don't see how you can be this aggressive towards Bernie right now.

Nothing since the debate has said to me that he is going to go kicking and screaming.

He has his price for leaving and that is more progressive politics going forward. If he brings Biden along, even a little bit as he already has shown, then he's done his work and he will be on the campaign trail with Biden to beat Trump.

He has to time it though because the longer the focus is on Trump the better. The man is flailing around, last thing Bernie needs to do is give Trump a singular focus.

Foxtrol wrote: »

Big difference with Trump this time is that he will likely have thousands of deaths that will be pointed to him being a key contributor. Harder to stick by a showman that was at fault for the death of your grandparents.

China, it'll all be about China, in fact he's already started.

Even though I think Biden is woeful (and I think most of the other candidates were more inspiring than him) I do hope you're right about him and he has enough to beat Trump.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement