Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Trump doesn't come across like he is suffering from dementia.

Either does Biden. Unless he had it for 30 years.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Biden seems slower, more deliberate and I suspect is having trouble with his dentures, but ...of course he is, he's 77. That's just getting old, we can't all be Mick Jagger. Sanders still seems feisty but honestly he has been an angry old man since he turned 40. Trotting out the "dementia" claim feels a glib assessment purely on age, mixed with whatever resting bias one might have against the man. Making one balls up over Corona does not incompetence make. Not will he start world war 3. You know what I'd say Biden might do? Bring back a sense of normalcy to the presidency, which could precisely be what demographics are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump doesn't come across like he is suffering from dementia.

Does not being about to spell your own name or your wife's count?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

duploelabs wrote: »

In fairness that could just be due to lack of education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duploelabs wrote:
    How about forgetting the name of the man you were vp to for eight years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Reason the US is so unprepared and lacking test kits and protective equipment for medical staff is primarily because Trump disbanded Obama's CDC emergency response task force set up to tackle pandemics like Ebola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness the stocks used 10 years ago in the Ebola crisis were never replenished also.

So just in the last nine months and I'm not including everything.
    He called Barrack Obama Corey Booker.
    There was the 'poor kids are just as talented as white kids' comment.
    He talked about the tragic shootings in Houston and Michigan, where he picked another town in the same state for the El Paso shootings and the wrong state for the ones in Dayton, Ohio.
    He mixed up Iran and Iraq.
    He called Trump's decision to limit travel between China and the US over coronavirus racist and unnecessary.
    Talked about his meetings at the Paris climate accord with a man who wasn't there because he died in 1997.
    There was the 'my name is Joe Biden, I'm a democratic candidate for the United States senate' just about a month ago.
    And then telling people to go out and vote last week.

Those are not all just gaffs, that's somebody with a big memory problem and if you are telling me I'm wrong to say he is in the early throws of dementia then please explain how you can get so many things so wrong?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Those are not all just gaffs, that's somebody with a big memory problem and if you are telling me I'm wrong to say he is in the early throws of dementia then please explain how you can get so many things so wrong?

Because he says 70,000 things a day that are all recorded. Obama said something about 62 states at one point in the campaign. If people recorded everything I say, I would obviously slip up at times. I am not a big fan of people focusing on Trump's slip ups for the same reason. That said, Trump is almost incapable of completing a sentence without losing his train of thought. I don't recall any properly measured, logically consistent speech from him.

The decision to limit travel from China was ridiculous. Because he thought that was all he needed to do to solve the issue. He has never come across a problem he doesn't think can't be solved by border closures. Stopping flights from China while completely ignoring community transmission was completely irresponsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Podge_irl wrote: »
    B That said, Trump is almost incapable of completing a sentence without losing his train of thought. I don't recall any properly measured, logically consistent speech from him.

He's not good at public speaking - at all. It's not that he's nuts in the mentally ill sense but public speaking is a skill that all political learn from the moment they become a politician and of course Trump has no experience of being a politician or facing the media.

I doubt he'll ever get much better at it at his age. He doesn't care about that kind of stuff and from his personal point of view his lack of media skills hasn't done him any real harm. In fact some ppl find him rather refreshing in comparison to the robotic style many politicians adopt. In that sense he seems more 'real' than your average politician, whether you like him or not.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote:
    Because he says 70,000 things a day that are all recorded. Obama said something about 62 states at one point in the campaign. If people recorded everything I say, I would obviously slip up at times. I am not a big fan of people focusing on Trump's slip ups for the same reason. That said, Trump is almost incapable of completing a sentence without losing his train of thought. I don't recall any properly measured, logically consistent speech from him.
    These are not minor errors. These are all major errors. As I said there are loads of them and I only picked out the really major ones.
    Podge_irl wrote:
    The decision to limit travel from China was ridiculous. Because he thought that was all he needed to do to solve the issue. He has never come across a problem he doesn't think can't be solved by border closures. Stopping flights from China while completely ignoring community transmission was completely irresponsible.
    So you are saying that Biden was right and Trump was wrong about the restriction of travel between the US and China?
    Are you for real?

But of course your whole post is dishonest. All you do is run down Trump and defend Biden.

I'm saying Trump is the worst President in history. I'm saying that despite he was a still a better candidate than Biden. I'm pro Democrat but I don't have goggles on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But of course your whole post is dishonest. All you do is run down Trump and defend Biden.

Eh....what? This is all I do based on what exactly!?

I'm saying travel restrictions were, at the time they were implemented, frankly not all that useful. It was rampaging through the US at the time and he completely refused to acknowledge as such.

Podge_irl wrote:
    I'm saying travel restrictions were, at the time they were implemented, frankly not all that useful. It was rampaging through the US at the time and he completely refused to acknowledge as such.
    So.you don't think Biden was wrong saying in January that Trump was going too far. You don't think that him saying that in January and then telling people to get out and vote last week shows him as being even more clueless and irresponsible than Trump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

So.you don't think Biden was wrong saying in January that Trump was going too far. You don't think that him saying that in January and then telling people to get out and vote last week shows him as being even more clueless and irresponsible than Trump?

In the midst of a pandemic where thousands of Americans were being infected, Trump went out and called the whole thing a hoax. This was the most irresponsible thing a person could do. Polls showed that his Republican supporters were taking it less seriously, many of whom will surely die as a result. There really is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭moon2

False equivalency.

One of these people is the actual president and that same person has been consistently saying far more irresponsible things for a far longer amount of time. They have also had a larger negative impact on a significantly larger proportion of the population.

In the midst of a pandemic where thousands of Americans were being infected, Trump went out and called the whole thing a hoax. This was the most irresponsible thing a person could do. Polls showed that his Republican supporters were taking it less seriously, many of whom will surely die as a result. There really is no comparison.

moon2 wrote:
    One of these people is the actual president and that same person has been consistently saying far more irresponsible things for a far longer amount of time. They have also had a larger negative impact on a significantly larger proportion of the population.

I asked the question about Biden being more careless and irresponsible than Trump and neither of you answered it.
    Be direct, stop spinning and be honest or don't bother responding to my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I asked the question about Biden being more careless and irresponsible than Trump and neither of you answered it.
    Be direct, stop spinning and be honest or don't bother responding to my posts.

I did answer it. Biden has clearly not been as irresponsible as Trump. Trump called the whole thing a hoax and refused to take it seriously and people are dying as a result. As I said, that's as irresponsible as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Trumps presidency hinges on:

- Flattening the curve
    - Stimulus package, the bigger the better
    - The economy and stock market showing signs of improvement, or at least rebounding by November.

I did answer it. Biden has clearly not been as irresponsible as Trump. Trump called the whole thing a hoax and refused to take it seriously and people are dying as a result. As I said, that's as irresponsible as it gets.
    Ok, so let's put Trump as the pretender and Biden as the President. How would things have went given the facts we have?
    No prevention of traffic from China and nobody staying at home?
    As bad as Trump has been that's even worse isn't it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ok, so let's put Trump as the pretender and Biden as the President. How would things have went given the facts we have?

Joe Biden, and most other competent leaders, listen to the intelligence community first, then listen to experts and people who are qualified in their field before making decisions that have the most positive outcome on the people.

Joe Biden wouldn’t rely on denial, boosterism, and trolling to fight a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Biden would not take the stand and spout lies which contradict the experts.

It's that ****ing simple. If he did *nothing* else, things would be demonstrably better.

Now - show me why you believe he would lie like that. Why you believe he would stand in front of the world and deliberately lie to the public.

I'm suspecting you can't. I'm starting to doubt your "I believe Trump is awful" type statement. It seems to me you are spending an awful lot of time and energy into sh1ting all over Biden by using false equivalency.

So just in the last nine months and I'm not including everything.
    He called Barrack Obama Corey Booker.
    There was the 'poor kids are just as talented as white kids' comment.
    He talked about the tragic shootings in Houston and Michigan, where he picked another town in the same state for the El Paso shootings and the wrong state for the ones in Dayton, Ohio.
    He mixed up Iran and Iraq.
    He called Trump's decision to limit travel between China and the US over coronavirus racist and unnecessary.
    Talked about his meetings at the Paris climate accord with a man who wasn't there because he died in 1997.
    There was the 'my name is Joe Biden, I'm a democratic candidate for the United States senate' just about a month ago.
    And then telling people to go out and vote last week.

So in the thousands of hours of public speaking he’s done campaigning, this is all you have and you declare he has dementia?

He has a memory problem, but he’s had the same problem forever. I’ve explained this to you repeatedly. He’s always made mistakes, he always will.

This phrase, “the early throws of dementia”, you’re the only person I’ve ever heard is it. Did you make it up?

I’ll ask again. Did you watch the last debate?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    So in the thousands of hours of public speaking he’s done campaigning, this is all you have and you declare he has dementia?
    No I just picked out a few major gaffs. There is a hell of a lot more.

everlast75 wrote:
    Biden would not take the stand and spout lies which contradict the experts.
    So telling people to go out and vote despite the advice from the experts? Saying that the restriction of traffic from China is racist and unnecessary despite the experts saying it was the right thing to do is not contradicting the experts?

Contradicting Dr Fauci live on stage at a presser, is that dementia? Randomly losing his temper (one of the common tells of dementia) at a reporter, is that dementia?

duploelabs wrote:
    Contradicting Dr Fauci live on stage at a presser, is that dementia? Randomly losing his temper (one of the common tells of dementia) at a reporter, is that dementia?
    When have I said that you'd consider a positive thing about Trump?
    Only thing I've said is I think he is more capable than Biden. I've said Trump is the worst President in US history.
    Trump is a horrible human being.
    I didn't think it was possible that somebody could be less capable than him but based on his performance over the last twelve months Joe Biden is imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

duploelabs wrote: »

Can't we agree that both are terrible.

Trump is out of his depth and showing signs of panic. Americans are undoubtly relieved that they live in a federal state where the President doesn't have significant centralised powers.

And then there's Biden, who isn't sure what day of the week it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump is a terrible human being, the question being asked of Americans isn't "who's the best person?" It's "who's the best person to be president?" By your own words eagle eye you insist Trump is the worst, yet common decency is suddenly the barometer - by which Biden ranks worse? That doesn't track. A pandemic is a war footing, and should be treated as one. Churchill was a war leader, the right guy for the right scenario. A thoroughly terrible human being but led the country until he wasn't needed anymore. America needs a delegator and someone to step away from the podium. Something even in his supposed addled mind Biden managed to express

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

pixelburp wrote: »
    Trump is a terrible human being, the question being asked of Americans isn't "who's the best person?" It's "who's the best person to be president?" By your own words eagle eye you insist Trump is the worst, yet common decency is suddenly the barometer - by which Biden ranks worse? That doesn't track. A pandemic is a war footing, and should be treated as one. Churchill was a war leader, the right guy for the right scenario. A thoroughly terrible human being but led the country until he wasn't needed anymore.

If anything this affair has highlighted the powers of each individual state and the limited powers of the President. It must come as a relief to Americans.

The craziness of Trump is hardly surprising.

• Advertisement

Their were the "major" ones. Brilliant, they're tiny mistakes.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    Their were the "major" ones. Brilliant, they're tiny mistakes.
    So calling Obama Booker, saying poor kids are Black, saying you had great discussions with a man that's dead over 20 years are all minor stuff to you. Telling people to put their lives at risk and go vote is only a minor thing?
    Yet you would be pulling up Trump on way less important things.
    Again all I'm seeing here is one-sided garbage from most of you.
    The worst President in history is a better option than Joe Biden. If you are not willing to be serious about the concerns over Biden then there is something wrong with you imo. Maybe you are blinded by hate and can't see the wood from the trees. I don't know but there's a hell of a lot of you here that are denying what's been blatantly obvious over the last twelve months with Biden.

So calling Obama Booker, saying poor kids are Black, saying you had great discussions with a man that's dead over 20 years are all minor stuff to you. Telling people to put their lives at risk and go vote is only a minor thing?
    The worst President in history is a better option than Joe Biden. If you are not willing to be serious about the concerns over Biden then there is something wrong with you imo. Maybe you are blinded by hate and can't see the wood from the trees. I don't know but there's a hell of a lot of you here that are denying what's been blatantly obvious over the last twelve months with Biden.

Your hyperbole that Biden is worse than the "worst president in history" is no less histrionic than what you're claiming of others. Its rich to talk of being blind when you are refusing to budge from this insistence that sticking with "the worst" possible president is better than a proven collaborator and delegator. You'd rather the US burn than see someone you clearly hate with a passion and bias that's evident from your posts.

You're picking your hill, but don't confuse a defence of Biden for support thereof. I liked Warren, and would prefer Sanders but at this stage an aging Biden, who has OPENLY SAID he would backseat events in favour of experts, is the better choice for America, right this minute. You've moved on from claiming Biden would start WW3, so the only one sided outsized views are your own. The voting comments were stupid and dangerous, but this is degrees of danger. Lesser of two evils, but you'd insist better to stick with the Devil you know. The bias here though, is yours .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

someone mentioned to me yesterday that Biden hasnt been seen in a week

I'm not following the US presidential race at the moment, everything is just Corona, corona, corona

Any truth to it?

The irony of you accusing me of being blinded is hilarious.

You think Trump is a better option than Biden, that says volumes.

If Biden was a slick well spoken politician his entire career and then suddenly started making these mistakes it would be a concern. But he hasn't, he's always been like this.

You decided about 12 months ago Biden wasn't fit for office. We get it. But the fact you've diagnosed him with dementia is absolutely ludicrous.

they/them/theirs

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    someone mentioned to me yesterday that Biden hasnt been seen in a week

I'm not following the US presidential race at the moment, everything is just Corona, corona, corona

Any truth to it?

Zero truth. It's typical scaremongering.

He's 77, he should be self isolating and leading by example.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote:
    You'd rather the US burn than see someone you clearly hate with a passion and bias that's evident from your posts.
    I don't hate Joe Biden. I feel sorry for the man. I always liked him, loved him being picked as Obama's running mate. I just don't trust that he's a capable of making good decisions anymore. I'd be very afraid of what might happen with him as POTUS.

Brian? wrote:
    You think Trump is a better option than Biden, that says volumes.
    Yes it speaks volumes about how concerned I am about Joe Biden.
    Brian? wrote:
    If Biden was a slick well spoken politician his entire career and then suddenly started making these mistakes it would be a concern. But he hasn't, he's always been like this.
    He never made gaffes like what's been going on the last twelve months.
    Brian? wrote:
    You decided about 12 months ago Biden wasn't fit for office. We get it. But the fact you've diagnosed him with dementia is absolutely ludicrous.
    I never diagnosed him, I said he appears to be in the early throws of dementia. That's based on his forgetfulness, losing his temper, and all the stupid things he has said.

When have I said that you'd consider a positive thing about Trump?
    Only thing I've said is I think he is more capable than Biden. I've said Trump is the worst President in US history.
    Trump is a horrible human being.
    I didn't think it was possible that somebody could be less capable than him but based on his performance over the last twelve months Joe Biden is imo.

By your own logic, trump is heavily in the throws of dementia...

By your own logic, trump is heavily in the throws of dementia...
    I never said that or suggested that. He seems the same horrible human being to me that he was 30 years ago.

How about forgetting the name of the man you were vp to for eight years?

I would say not being able to spell the name of the person he loves the most, and his wife's, far outweighs that

• Advertisement

Well that shows exactly how blinded by hate that you are. Forgetting a person's name completely and mixing him up with somebody else is far more serious.

I doubt Trump loves anybody besides himself btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Well that shows exactly how blinded by hate that you are. Forgetting a person's name completely and mixing him up with somebody else is far more serious.

Tim Apple?

I never said that or suggested that. He seems the same horrible human being to me that he was 30 years ago.

And his mental faculties are regularly under question. Meanwhile Biden is prone to faux pas more than anything. I think you would be complaining about every single candidate outside of Martin Heinrich. Claiming Biden has dementia is just a replay of similar attacks against Clinton.

I am?
    What did you use to quantify that?

And his mental faculties are regularly under question. Meanwhile Biden is prone to faux pas more than anything. I think you would be complaining about every single candidate outside of Martin Heinrich. Claiming Biden has dementia is just a replay of similar attacks against Clinton.
    I never said anything remotely similar about Hilary. All I said about Hilary is that she has what I'll call anti-charisma as in the more exposure she gets the less likeable she becomes in the eyes of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Have you watched videos of Trump from when he was younger?

This video is more pointing at the change in the content but the difference in delivery is like night and day. He can barely finish a sentence at this point, just rambling through lies.

Yes it speaks volumes about how concerned I am about Joe Biden.

He never made gaffes like what's been going on the last twelve months.

I never diagnosed him, I said he appears to be in the early throws of dementia. That's based on his forgetfulness, losing his temper, and all the stupid things he has said.

What about this? All from his time as VP or before.

https://youtu.be/LLcIMdHQvz8

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    What about this? All from his time as VP or before.

There's nothing there nearly as bad as what he's been at the last twelve months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Has it been discussed whether the election will go ahead at all this year? I imagine Trump is pretty intent on cancelling or indefinitely postponing the election.

Apologise of its been discussed already.

There's nothing there nearly as bad as what he's been at the last twelve months.

You're kidding me right? You're criticising him for forgetting Barack Obama's name, he did the exact same thing in that video.

You've made your mind up, the truth really doesn't matter to you anymore.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement