Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Has it been discussed whether the election will go ahead at all this year? I imagine Trump is pretty intent on cancelling or indefinitely postponing the election.

Apologise of its been discussed already.

It has. No election means president Pelosi on the 1st of January.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brian? wrote:
    You're kidding me right? You're criticising him for forgetting Barack Obama's name, he did the exact same thing in that video.
    He didn't forget his full name and mix him up with Corey Booker.
    He starting saying America and realised he was wrong. Now he doesn't even realise he is making a mistake most of the time.
    Brian? wrote:
    You've made your mind up, the truth really doesn't matter to you anymore.
    Thevl truth is he hasn't a clue what's going on most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Brian? wrote: »

No way! Is that how it works? Is that fact Written into the constitution or the most likely scenario or how does it work? I ask because if it's just precedent that isn't actually written in black and white in the constitution then I'd expect Trump to try to get around it.

No way! Is that how it works? Is that fact Written into the constitution or the most likely scenario or how does it work? I ask because if it's just precedent that isn't actually written in black and white in the constitution then I'd expect Trump to try to get around it.

It's written in the constitution. It's very clear, there is no legal mechanism for Trump to remain president.

they/them/theirs

It's written in the constitution. It's very clear, there is no legal mechanism for Trump to remain president.

great news. I'm very relieved to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well, one slight error, it'll be the 20th of January, but yeah, point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

I'd say Trump would rather lose the election than have that happen.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I'd say Trump would rather lose the election than have that happen.

Surely the prospect of president 'anyone but trump' would mean he'd make sure the election goes ahead, no matter what.

If he felt he could get away with it, I'd expect him to try to stay in power without an election. He has no shame so the fact that it's a longshot and completely against the constitution, wouldn't stop him. He could frighten the shyte out of republicans with the prospect of Pelosi, a California democrat taking over during a crisis. Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures etc. Fox news would back him with a couple of weeks to discuss it and they would fall on the trump side of the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Have you watched videos of Trump from when he was younger?

This video is more pointing at the change in the content but the difference in delivery is like night and day. He can barely finish a sentence at this point, just rambling through lies.

for this to be valid i'd need to see a few examples of pensioners compared to their younger selves?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

for this to be valid i'd need to see a few examples of pensioners compared to their younger selves?

That can't be hard; just dig out any number of interviews with Hollywood actors; that's a very public industry where "pension age" simply doesn't exist & people work well into their late 80s, even 90s. One of the biggest movies of last year was headlined by septuagenarians and octogenarians: The Irishman, directed by Martin Scorcese, Al Pacino, Jo Pesci & Robert DeNiro. Watching interviews with all of them I've not seen any sense of cognitive decline; some questionable beliefs such as DeNiro's scepticism towards vaccines, but we can't pin that on age. TBH, this idea that you hit old age and automatically become senile is both inaccurate & kind of insulting to those who are older. Trump outwardly shows signs of some form of decline; how or why is pure, rank irresponsible speculation (ditto those claiming Biden is equally thus), but he does seem different. Maybe it's age, maybe it's the cocktail of drugs he apparently lives on. Heck maybe it's just stress, not like he has ever had this much scrutiny before.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Surely the prospect of president 'anyone but trump' would mean he'd make sure the election goes ahead, no matter what.

If he felt he could get away with it, I'd expect him to try to stay in power without an election. He has no shame so the fact that it's a longshot and completely against the constitution, wouldn't stop him. He could frighten the shyte out of republicans with the prospect of Pelosi, a California democrat taking over during a crisis. Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures etc. Fox news would back him with a couple of weeks to discuss it and they would fall on the trump side of the argument.

There's not a lot he can do about it , changing it would require an amendment in the House and the Senate , no way the House votes for Trump to stay on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

pixelburp wrote: »
    That can't be hard; just dig out any number of interviews with Hollywood actors; that's a very public industry where "pension age" simply doesn't exist & people work well into their late 80s, even 90s. One of the biggest movies of last year was headlined by septuagenarians and octogenarians: The Irishman, directed by Martin Scorcese, Al Pacino, Jo Pesci & Robert DeNiro. Watching interviews with all of them I've not seen any sense of cognitive decline; some questionable beliefs such as DeNiro's scepticism towards vaccines, but we can't pin that on age. TBH, this idea that you hit old age and automatically become senile is both inaccurate & kind of insulting to those who are older. Trump outwardly shows signs of some form of decline; how or why is pure, rank irresponsible speculation (ditto those claiming Biden is equally thus), but he does seem different. Maybe it's age, maybe it's the cocktail of drugs he apparently lives on. Heck maybe it's just stress, not like he has ever had this much scrutiny before.
    That's quite an amount of words there

i never mentioned decline, i'm 43 i sound nothing like my 20 something self

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's quite an amount of words there

i never mentioned decline, i'm 43 i sound nothing like my 20 something self

Your needless sarcasm aside, you challenged the post of a video of a younger Trump and speculated you'd need to see more examples of young folk vs. pension-age folk. Asked and answered, as 'de lawyers say on the TV.

You did mention pensioners, not people barely out of adolescence. Most people sound different from when they were 20, because that's barely out of teens & nobody would suggest that age is at your fullest emotional maturity. Foxtrols comparison video was Trump at your age (circa 1987) vs. now, as a septuagenarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can't we agree that both are terrible.

They're terrible in the same way that the common cold and ebola are both terrible.

Well, one slight error, it'll be the 20th of January, but yeah, point stands.

Oops, yeah. Thanks for the correction.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Your request doesn't make any sense unless you're trying to move goalposts.

The poster I responded to didn't claim that Trump is showing the same decline as other pensioners, the claim was made that Trump hasn't shown any decline, that he is the same person he was 30 years ago.

The comparison in the video shows that he clearly isn't the same person he was 30 years ago, that there is obvious mental decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I can't help but think how much better Warren (or any of the others) would be in control right now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    I can't help but think how much better Warren (or any of the others) would be in control right now.

Literally not having a President would be better than Trump right now for the US.

Realistically - In times like this what is a President/Prime Minister etc. for?

Their job is to facilitate the experts and remove roadblocks that might exist for the experts to get the job done.

The other role is to act as a Spokesperson for those experts . Providing clear guidance and clarity around what's happening and why.

There's literally nothing else for them to do..

Trump is making all of the above things worse - He's getting in the way of the experts and he's messing up the communications and confusing people and contradicting people left and right..

If he simply wasn't there , things would be much better by default.

Quin_Dub wrote:
    Literally not having a President would be better than Trump or Biden right now for the US.

FYP

eagle eye wrote: »
    FYP

Biden isn't the President. So he hasn't even got the option to be awful right now and get in the way of experts.

You really need to get over this weird hang up you have. It's unhealthy.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote:
    Literally not having a President would be better than Trump or Biden right now for the US.

FYP

Look - I know you have this bizarre thing about Biden because somehow Martin Heinrich (who didn't even put his name forward) isn't the Democratic candidate.

But can you seriously defend a position that suggests that Biden would be as bad as Trump is right now?

I'm not talking about a full Presidential term - I'm talking about right here , right now, dealing with the Pandemic?

Do you think Biden would disagree with the Experts?
    Do you think that Biden would fight with the media over reasonable questions?

Seriously???

Quin_Dub wrote:
    I'm not talking about a full Presidential term - I'm talking about right here , right now, dealing with the Pandemic?
    He said that restricting travel from China was racist and an overblown reaction. He told people to go vote last week. So right now at the very best he is as bad as Trump.

He said that restricting travel from China was racist and an overblown reaction. He told people to go vote last week. So right now at the very best he is as bad as Trump.

That is again a ridiculous false equivalence.

There is a huge gulf between those instances and Trumps repeated failures of leadership, that continue right now.

If you compare what Biden is saying to what Trump is saying and doing, it is clear which one aligns much more closely to what the experts are saying they should do.

Biden said only restricting travel wasn't the answer. He was right.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Without a doubt there needs to be testing testing and more testing to find the people who have the virus and then isolate them and quarantine those they came in close contact with and that combined with lock downs can slow the disease down. But still there is no real significant testing going on yet in the US.

Brian? wrote:
    That's not what he said, stop telling ng lies. He called it over the top and racist.

That's not what he said, stop telling ng lies. He called it over the top and racist.

Wind it in there chief. The only quotes I can find are Biden saying a travel ban alone wasn’t enough. I don’t appreciate being called a liar.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Where did he say that?

Wind it in there chief. The only quotes I can find are Biden saying a travel ban alone wasn’t enough. I don’t appreciate being called a liar.

My search came up with a similar result.

Even if he did say those two things with no other context, like the poster is claiming, it is a valid opinion that stands up now. Announcing a show China travel ban was over the top and is in line with many of his other racist policies, that continue to this day in his attempts to rebrand the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, the 'travel ban' didn't impact US citizens returning, did it? As stated, it was just 'for show' and bashing the evil Chinese...

• Advertisement

I'm taking a back seat and laughing at the lengths that lots of people go to defend their political preference.
    I know Joe Biden is not fit for office based off all the videos I've seen of him over the last twelve months, particularly the live ones.
    I've said my piece and the back and forth is just a waste of my time.
    I'm a democratic supporter but not when it's unsafe to vote for one. It's a once in a lifetime occurrence I hope.
    Let's see what happens but I'm of the opinion that Joe Biden is going to lose the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭moon2

Igotadose wrote: »
    , it was just 'for show' and bashing the evil Chinese...

The European travel ban which excluded Ireland and the UK was similarly mind boggling. The quick u-turn to include both in the ban was great to see, however it once again calls into question whether these decisions are being made for political reasons or for the health of the population.

Seeing Trump claim the UK were excluded from the ban because they had covid19 under control, while the UK were still in their phase of absolute denial, was bizarre.

I saw some claims that it was a way for Trump to 'punish' the EU and 'reward' the UK for brexit. It's a bit too conspiracy theorist for me. Couldn't find anything to back that up, especially since Trump u-turned so quickly on it. (Edit: the claim was also thst Ireland was included due to the common travel area, not because he wanted to include Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I'm taking a back seat and laughing at the lengths that lots of people go to defend their political preference.
    I know Joe Biden is not fit for office based off all the videos I've seen of him over the last twelve months, particularly the live ones.
    I've said my piece and the back and forth is just a waste of my time.
    I'm a democratic supporter but not when it's unsafe to vote for one. It's a once in a lifetime occurrence I hope.
    Let's see what happens but I'm of the opinion that Joe Biden is going to lose the election.

Where did Biden say it was racist to stop flights from China??

The Coronavirus press conferences are getting scary now. They can't possibly re-elect him, can they? :eek:

The Coronavirus press conferences are getting scary now. They can't possibly re-elect him, can they? :eek:

What did he do now?

What did he do now?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1242230886810165250?s=19

What sort of carry-on is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God my heart goes out to the likes of Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci to have to put up with that absolute nonsense.

The American people are asking for their leaders to stand up but we have Trump being petulant and just acting like a ****ing idiot, you just have to shake your head in disbelief

Wow.

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Seeing the videos above, it really does make you despair. Another poll has come out that shows Americans are roughly 50:50 on whether he is handling this crisis well. I'm genuinely perplexed as to what he has to do to be perceived to be doing a bad job.

• Advertisement

Seeing the videos above, it really does make you despair. Another poll has come out that shows Americans are roughly 50:50 on whether he is handling this crisis well. I'm genuinely perplexed as to what he has to do to be perceived to be doing a bad job.

There is the cult element of his base that will never think he did a bad job.

The remainder is the simple fact that it hasn't impacted a lot of people yet, they see it as a flu and media hype. In that scenario you could lean on Trump doing an ok job, despite the fact he has basically done nothing aside from bluster and left it to individual states to fend for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You might as well reopen that Poll, add the name of Andrew Cuomo and then close it again.

#fogeddabboutit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Foxtrol wrote: »
    it hasn't impacted a lot of people yet, they see it as a flu and media hype.
    The Yanks always want the USA to be No. 1. Well they're no. 1 now - in new cases of the virus. And no. 3 in terms of total cases.

It's only really getting started there.
    The World Health Organization has said it is seeing a "very large acceleration" in coronavirus infections in the United States which had the potential of becoming the new epicentre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

serfboard wrote: »
    The Yanks always want the USA to be No. 1. Well they're no. 1 now - in new cases of the virus. And no. 3 in terms of total cases.

It's only really getting started there.

Sadly I think your right in terms of it only getting started. I think it is going to get a lot worse there and could end up being pretty horrific in the US with the fiasco that is the federal governments handling of the crisis. When you add in the for profit health care system they have which leaves about 85 million un or under insured that is quite the ticking bomb of potential people who went around with the virus who could not afford health care or not to go to work before the restrictions started. Then of course they are still struggling to get any significant testing done on top of all that so nobody really knows how bad the numbers are at the moment in the US.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A meaningful poll for once

https://twitter.com/theplumlinegs/status/1242537547617775618

Before the massive effects of the coronavirus takes hold

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Surely Trump understands "No American is going to say accelerate the economy at the cost of human life," if he goes against the WHO and his own advisers and there is massive casualties he could be tried for manslaughter

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »

Before the massive effects of the coronavirus takes hold
    Trump will spin it as him being a hero over Coronavirus. Don’t assume this will have any impact on his re-election campaign.

He is without doubt the best campaigner of our time. His re-election campaign will be completely divorced from reality so I wouldn’t rely on reality counting against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Just heard trump just now I know its election year but that was just tasteless self indulgent I dont think any other world leader would be so egotistical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Headshot wrote: »
    God my heart goes out to the likes of Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci to have to put up with that absolute nonsense.

The American people are asking for their leaders to stand up but we have Trump being petulant and just acting like a ****ing idiot, you just have to shake your head in disbelief

He isn't acting, he isn't acting at all.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Easter Sunday is the goal, it's only kicking off in the US but will all be over by then :confused:

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1242539966120460289

Easter Sunday is the goal, it's only kicking off in the US but will all be over by then :confused:

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1242539966120460289

I see Fox News is supportive of the idea. They’re just reporting that trump plans to do it, without much spin and definitely no opposition. In a week they’ll be in full support of the idea.

Fox median viewer age is in their 60s so they’re the at risk group. If they can sell it to the Fox News audience then they can sell it to anyone. If he can muddy the waters in the election and make it all about whether it was right to reopen the country when he did, then he can control the narrative again. That’s a potential winner.

He really could make sure the election campaign has little to do with his actual record and is all about having saved the economy by restarting things at Easter or whenever he does it.

Just wait. In 2 weeks the US will be divided completely down party lines on this issue and then he’s back in control of the race.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement