Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump did think of it but he gave the benefits to top 1%..

Not sure why Harris is second favourite with bookies given she has been drifting with Democrat registered voters.

Light blue line is hers and 14% is highest she has gotten so far shortly after announcing. Biden in green. Sanders black

130R3Bc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

As mentioned over on the AH UBI thread:

...Very interesting, a new emmerging favourite for POTUS 2020,
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2020/winner?selectionName=andrew-yang

Has just offered everyone (pending constitution alteration) in the US $1,000 per month
    https://www.yang2020.com/policies/the-freedom-dividend/

If the Dems can't get Oprah, they can buy their POTUS with Mr Yang.
    It's a wonder Trump didn't think of this, UBI trials are all the craze these days.

I just watched a few of his videos where he outlines his positions and quite honestly he's very impressive. I don't think he'll get close to the nomination this time around but he's definitely one to watch for 2024 and beyond. He calls it trickle up economics and he's smart enough to try and re-brand it as the "freedom dividend". I also like his policy on increasing corporation tax while cutting federal payroll tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I just watched a few of his videos where he outlines his positions and quite honestly he's very impressive. I don't think he'll get close to the nomination this time around but he's definitely one to watch for 2024 and beyond. He calls it trickle up economics and he's smart enough to try and re-brand it as the "freedom dividend". I also like his policy on increasing corporation tax while cutting federal payroll tax.

It sure is a brave offering to put on the table, +1,000 bucks per month for every single adult in the states, from a skid row cup shaker to wall street deal maker.

Bearing in mind there has only ever been small trails of UBI, nevermind talk of full 2020 (2022 more practically) rollout in the world's foremost superpower.

Small trails, up to now, are non-representative, really non real-world affairs, purgatory like, tick-box events.

Thus folks could debate for hours the outcome of this proposal and still get it wrong, effects could range from a hyper-inflation migration rush, to the US re-positioning itself firmly as the true land of milk n' honey, a place of golden endless dreams and opportunity.

flazio wrote: »
    The thing about Sanders is, he's not afraid to fight dirty. And the sad reality of society today is, if you want to beat Trump, you are going to have to get your hands dirty. If Barack Obama was a new candidate going into a race against Trump I reckon he'd get defeated quite easily.
    Moral high ground isn't very popular right now.
    It's a cruel place right now so I believe you're going to have to appeal to that.

Sanders fights dirty? The same man who said he was sick of hearing about her emails?

He went exceptionally easy on Clinton compared to what literally any other candidate in the country would have done with the many different attack vectors left wide open to them.

Yang is straight into the top 10 for POTUS, lets face it - offer anyone $1,000 pm (gtd, for 4yrs/onwards) just for ticking a box and you'll suddenly get some fans.

adasf8Q.png

Yesterdays 101 is long gone, average 50/1 now, still some @67.
    But... Dem nom however is still available 50/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He will likely run one day but he is biggest movie star in the world with multiple TV shows running so he would be crazy to give up all that for something he has no experience in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Not going to copy and paste the whole article as its not really fair on the site who posted it and its frowned upon understandably by people who own the site.

Anyhow....as someone who has money on Harris from a few years ago at much bigger price than she is now, getting a little concerned. She is still betting fav to get the nomination, but unsure she can get the numbers to beat Bernie.

Bernie beats her with black voters atm, which is huge for him as Clinton smashed him with that demographic in 2016.

Biden will be formidable if he enters however though when you look at those numbers.

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/06/bernie-sanders-black-voters-2020/

THREE WEEKS AFTER launching his presidential campaign, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is leading all other announced candidates in support from black voters, a new poll finds. The only potential candidate who polled better with African-Americans than Sanders, according to the poll by Morning Consult, is former Vice President Joe Biden, who has not announced a campaign.

Despite a persistent notion that his supporters are disproportionately white male “bros,” the new survey suggests that Sanders is actually slightly more popular among black Democratic voters than white ones, indicating that the narrative that developed during the 2016 campaign may no longer hold, if it ever did.

Sanders’s support among black voters, at 28 percent, puts him in second place among that demographic, behind Biden, at 32 percent. He trailed Biden 31-25 among whites.

Yang wont win, but his campaign seems pretty exciting so far. The right focus a lot on immigration and the left climate change, but think both sides at times are weak when it comes to the automation revolution coming in the next few years. He'd be very interesting on the debate stage as would Tulsi who has been excellent on USAs overseas interventionist bollocks.

Sadly though Tulsi does not seem to have any of the momentum Yang has.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yang wont win, but his campaign seems pretty exciting so far.

Somewhat agree, it's still a brave, unique and interesting offer all the same. And a tastey offer, $1,000 bucks (per month) in the wallet, for nothing.

Bernie is doing well with the trending, he's got a fresh 4yr batch of millennials to entertain, all keen on the ideals of universal health, equality, wages etc but at the same time not keen paying taxes for all this.

Beto is another wild card, maybe they need a 3+party race to make things more interesting across the great divide.

Yang is trending again, must have got some more media exposure about the free monthly $1,000 for everyone in the audience.

gjntyJO.png

The 66/1 prices have all gone, as low as 29-34/1.
    This could get interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Biden hinted heavily to a firefighters representative forum today, that he will announce in a few weeks.

Biden-Harris 2020, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

IMO Gillibrand is done and dusted now from this sexual harassment scandal; she'd be just throwing money away I think if she continued her campaign at this stage. Very early in the cycle, I know, so it could go away but I'm not sure her handling of it (then and now) wouldn't come back to haunt her 'bigly' in the Dem primary debates.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Biden hinted heavily to a firefighters representative forum today, that he will announce in a few weeks.

Biden-Harris 2020, mark my words.

I'm increasingly of the belief that a Biden ticket will guarantee Trump gets reelected; it may be terribly entertaining to watch him tear Trump apart, but I don't believe the progressives will row behind him.

Plus he has too much baggage, and has put his foot in it enough times that the Republicans will absolutely go to town on him. The GOP have already shown themselves to be nakedly hypocritical when it comes to their president's own gaffs and moral failings so I absolutely expect them to attack Biden with these angles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm increasingly of the belief that a Biden ticket will guarantee Trump gets reelected; it may be terribly entertaining to watch him tear Trump apart, but I don't believe the progressives will row behind him.

Plus he has too much baggage, and has put his foot in it enough times that the Republicans will absolutely go to town on him. The GOP have already shown themselves to be nakedly hypocritical when it comes to their president's own gaffs and moral failings so I absolutely expect them to attack Biden with these angles.

This is the single biggest problem the Democrats have right now.

GOP voters are Party 1st and then candidate a very very distant second.

Dem voters are far more focused on the Candidate and their alignment to their specific political positions and if they don't get that alignment they simply don't turn up on polling day.

This attitude, above all else is the barrier to the Democrats winning the Senate and the WH in 2020.

They need to work out a way of fixing this before the elections and that probably requires every single one of the candidates (and every other Dem "voice" - Thinking AOC and a few others here) to publicly,loudly and repeatedly declare their support for whoever wins.

It also means keeping the Primary race pretty clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't think the race needs to be super clean but they need to show a united front behind their candidate afterwards. The party need to do this and they need to find a way to unite the voters too. THe primary needs to be fair and open too, hopefully they learned their lesson last time when they shafted Sanders and then lost the election, he probably would have beaten Trump.

Mr Yang is yer only man, with a plan.
    Still going steady short on the markets.

dwes5xz.png

His only negative, is that he's a bit too forward thinking.

Hasn't Biden got a bit of a 'creepy factor' about him?
    Meanwhile Sanders has the 'old grumpy man' factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This is the single biggest problem the Democrats have right now.

GOP voters are Party 1st and then candidate a very very distant second.

Dem voters are far more focused on the Candidate and their alignment to their specific political positions and if they don't get that alignment they simply don't turn up on polling day.

This attitude, above all else is the barrier to the Democrats winning the Senate and the WH in 2020.

They need to work out a way of fixing this before the elections and that probably requires every single one of the candidates (and every other Dem "voice" - Thinking AOC and a few others here) to publicly,loudly and repeatedly declare their support for whoever wins.

It also means keeping the Primary race pretty clean.

Polls would say that there is a bit of a shift in the Dems attitudes on this front currently though (according to 538, https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-care-more-about-winning-than-usual/)

Per the article, whilst not as concrete as the Rep attitude, Dems seem to be more focussed on candidates that will beat Trump, than how it aligns with their beliefs (though it doesn't appear to have shifted enormously)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Polls would say that there is a bit of a shift in the Dems attitudes on this front currently though (according to 538, https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/democrats-care-more-about-winning-than-usual/)

Per the article, whilst not as concrete as the Rep attitude, Dems seem to be more focussed on candidates that will beat Trump, than how it aligns with their beliefs (though it doesn't appear to have shifted enormously)

It still will only help so much, though...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/04/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-democratic-party-ideology/index.html

53% of Democrats consider themselves liberal. 47% say they are moderate or conservative.

The real question then is not which part of the party is on the rise -- it's the AOC/Bernie Sanders wing for sure -- but rather how those moderates and conservatives are treated by the liberals in the party. Will they be driven out as insufficiently loyal to the cause -- as tea party (and Trump) Republicans have done to their own centrist wing over the last decade? Or will liberals find a way to incorporate the views of their more moderate party members as they try to find a candidate who can oust President Donald Trump in 2020?

Again, Anzalone hits the nail on the head. "My main gripe about AOC is that while I respect her voice in the party, I don't think she respects mine or anyone else's who differs with her on policy or comes from a different political electoral reality," he tweeted.

The first problem may not be as much what happens on polling day, but what happens in the year leading up to it. It's all very well thinking that a Democrat voter will vote for the D whoever it is, they very well may do so, but if they feel that they have been ostracised from the party and no longer are Ds, will they do the same thing?

The second problem remains as ever... There are, as the chap above says, two different electoral realities which Democrats come from. The solid progressive of the coasts, and the swing-state moderates. The Democrat strength and nomination votes comes from those coasts, but the election votes come from those swing states... Two years ago, the Republicans won on the basis of those swing votes, a few months ago the Democrats won on the basis of those swing votes. Already the pundits are talking about a swing of seats back to the Republicans in 2020: The 2018 protest vote against Trump will transfer to the Presidential ticket, when they can vote against Trump directly. For congress, the voters can go back to the questions of party policy and their local candidate.

Republicans and right wing media did a great job of painting Hillary Clinton as biggest monster on Earth during run up to last election so that became unifying force upon which they all gathered around. Remember the Republican party were in total chaos as late as the national convention with protests and scuffles breaking out on the floor.

Big problem for Dems is there is no television network like Fox that will put their weight behind a Democratic candidate. CNN, MSNBC would likely rather another 4 years of Trump as it's good business for them and will again air his empty podium instead of focusing on the Dem candidates.

As for what states are progressive and which are not it's not a case of costal states being progressive while Midwestern ones aren't. It's more a urban/rural divide. Rural California has some of the most conservative areas in the country. Rural NY State is extremely conservative. Philly and Pittsburgh are progressive but the rest of Pennsylvania is very conservative. Last Senate election a progressive candidate in O'Rourke won every major urban area in Texas yet lost election because he barely won anything outside the likes of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and the South Western part of the state.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    As for what states are progressive and which are not it's not a case of costal states being progressive while Midwestern ones aren't. It's more a urban/rural divide. Rural California has some of the most conservative areas in the country. Rural NY State is extremely conservative. Philly and Pittsburgh are progressive but the rest of Pennsylvania is very conservative. Last Senate election a progressive candidate in O'Rourke won every major urban area in Texas yet lost election because he barely won anything outside the likes of Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and the South Western part of the state.

This is all true, but the States tend not to worry about that in their external facing. California gets 55 votes. The fact that San Bernadino or Amador counties may be solidly red is somewhat irrelevant when there are sufficient democrats in the State to all but guarantee those 55 votes for the D candidate. Those swing states tend to be the ones where urban and rural populations are about equal, and the swing voters tend to be the interface between those two populations: The suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I like Yang and his interviews are good. He's very straight and candid about his ideas and positions but at the same time he said he "doesn't give a ****" if he gets the nomination he just wants to force the agenda in the general direction of the universal income. I can see Bernie picking up some of Yang's campaign ideas should he drop out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, Beto O'Rourke has officially announced his candidature.

Honestly I know little of him except for that close Senate run and his apparent canny social media presence.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well, Beto O'Rourke has officially announced his candidature.

Honestly I know little of him except for that close Senate run and his apparent canny social media presence.

It will be interesting to see how he does. His supporters will point to how he pushed Cruz while his detractors will point to how he lost the one of the least popular politicians in America. His fundraising was very impressive v Cruz, but lets see how he does in the primary when he doesn't have a hate figure to focus on. He may not be left wing enough for the Bernie brigade and Biden will occupy the centre whenever he decides to run.

Also agreed Yang has been great and some will definitely try to copy his ideas which is a good thing for sure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Somewhat agree, it's still a brave, unique and interesting offer all the same. And a tastey offer, $1,000 bucks (per month) in the wallet, for nothing.

Bernie is doing well with the trending, he's got a fresh 4yr batch of millennials to entertain, all keen on the ideals of universal health, equality, wages etc but at the same time not keen paying taxes for all this.

Beto is another wild card, maybe they need a 3+party race to make things more interesting across the great divide.

Has he given any indication as to how he will afford the UBI. There's about 250m adults in the US. So UBI would cost about $250 billion a month or $3T a year. The US budget deficit is about $1T at the moment. Sure, a decent chunk of that $3T will come back in taxes but it's still going to cost a shít ton of money.

Has he given any indication as to how he will afford the UBI. There's about 250m adults in the US. So UBI would cost about $250 billion a month or $3T a year. The US budget deficit is about $1T at the moment. Sure, a decent chunk of that $3T will come back in taxes but it's still going to cost a shít ton of money.

Yes and they already have 14-21$tr of Nat Debt.

You also have to write off all/any welfare payments, as this UBI would replace them all. Much of the expense will be returned in taxes through spending, only very few will squirrel away this 1k pm.

Read somewhere 75% of their public are living month-to-month, so another 1,000pm on top of low wages would be a handy cash injection and huge psychological stimulus - rolling into enterprise or education.

Obvious risks are effects on Fx or inflation.

Anyhow, Yang is up from nowhere, to 6th favourite for POTUS overtaking the likes of Gillibrand thanks only to GenZ, who are better aware of the 4thIR, and #YangGang movement, although rarely given a platform on the mainstream media.

“All you need is self-driving cars to destabilize society,” ...adding that, in a few years, “we’re going to have a million truck drivers out of work who are 94 percent male, with an average level of education of high school or one year of college … And we’re about to do the same thing to retail workers, call center workers, fast-food workers, insurance companies, accounting firms.” He believes UBI is the best solution to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It will be interesting to see how he does. His supporters will point to how he pushed Cruz while his detractors will point to how he lost the one of the least popular politicians in America. His fundraising was very impressive v Cruz, but lets see how he does in the primary when he doesn't have a hate figure to focus on. He may not be left wing enough for the Bernie brigade and Biden will occupy the centre whenever he decides to run.

Also agreed Yang has been great and some will definitely try to copy his ideas which is a good thing for sure.

He may be unpopular on a national level but Texas is a deeply red state and it was a state election so I think it's pretty easy to see how Beto lost. He was a very strong candidate but it seemed a good indication that Texas may be slowly turning blue.

The backlash from the progressives and mainly the Bernie base to Beto has been savage. If it comes to those 2 in the end, holy ****ing ****.

https://twitter.com/MatthewSitman/status/1106195059047845889

Its true, Warren actually coming up with some interesting stuff recently, but her campaign is dead and Beto stealing the spotlight does not help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Warren was idiotic to release that Indian heritage vid trying to defend herself. Posters here argued she never used it to forward her career even though a subsequent news story by WaPo showed she did, so I suppose she's capable of fooling some people.

Assuming Trump is running, Biden will be the nominee imo and he will beat Trump. He's centrist and a reassuring calming presence to the current divisiveness.

Trump will fixate on those "creepy" Joe Biden vids if things go badly for him, it won't be enough. I don't see it being too different to 2016 although the final results electoral votes wise will be reversed.

• Advertisement

Its true, Warren actually coming up with some interesting stuff recently, but her campaign is dead and Beto stealing the spotlight does not help.

I don't get the impression O'Rourke is winning a lot of hearts & minds so far; what little I've seen and heard of him since the announcement has seemed awfully presumptuous and entitled, and narratives in some media have pounced on this.

His prominence has been down to some endearing social media and being a charming presence in comparison with Ted Cruz. I have a feeling he'll cut an isolated figure once the veneer of the 'fun' candidate is stripped away and any political inconsistencies come to light.

MadYaker wrote: »
    He may be unpopular on a national level but Texas is a deeply red state and it was a state election so I think it's pretty easy to see how Beto lost. He was a very strong candidate but it seemed a good indication that Texas may be slowly turning blue.

Haven't been keeping track of this thread, but Texas's blue turn isn't its native population.. It's a lot of people from Democrat country moving there. Sure there may be a younger generation etc. but apparently, the turn is due to new people. Open to correction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Presumably Beto isn't up to anything else, having lost the Senate election, but raising his profile could well serve him in the future. I can't imagine he's particularly fussed about getting the nomination.

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1106952515793403909

Tulsi is not perfect whatsoever and if I were her friend I would have strongly urged her not to run and her campaign seems dead, but its refreshing to see someone actually ask some difficult questions of the Dem establishment especially majority of the Resist grifters who for the most case are just as slimy and biased as the MAGA ****wits on the other side.

Her, Yang and Warren the most interesting candidates so far for me especially compared to the more tedious establishment shower whose message seems to be "I like good things, but hate bad things" and little else.

https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/1106952515793403909

Tulsi is not perfect whatsoever and if I were her friend I would have strongly urged her not to run and her campaign seems dead, but its refreshing to see someone actually ask some difficult questions of the Dem establishment especially majority of the Resist grifters who for the most case are just as slimy and biased as the MAGA ****wits on the other side.

Her, Yang and Warren the most interesting candidates so far for me especially compared to the more tedious establishment shower whose message seems to be "I like good things, but hate bad things" and little else.

Her point kinda seems like bollocks though.

If Trump hadn't been acting exactly the way you'd expect someone in Putin's pocket to act, there would be far less concern that he is compromised.
    His failures in foreign policy with powers with whom he has alleged financial ties is precisely the problem.

Putin can freely proliferate weapons precisely because there is no credible presence in the White House to check him, and the Trump White house want to proliferate weapons because Trump aspires to be a fascist strongman and John Bolton is a warmongering psychopath.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the Democrats. This just paints Gabbard as a con artist trying to run "both sides" nonsense.

I’m more curious as to how she would prefer Trump to act with reference to Russia. Is she saying that she would have preferred a position less in opposition to what Russia is up to? I mean, Ok, Trump is no diplomatic genius, but I don’t see anything wrong with the current policy of putting US troops in Poland or the Baltic countries, which annoys Russia. They are our friends and want reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Gbear wrote:
    Presumably Beto isn't up to anything else, having lost the Senate election, but raising his profile could well serve him in the future. I can't imagine he's particularly fussed about getting the nomination.

He did extremely well in Texas. While demographics are changing in Texas with migration to the state. It still is a huge red state. Seen as one of the strongest republican states in the country. Cruz might be unpopular but a democrat in Texas is much more unpopular overall. His performance in Texas was very impressive. He is an interesting candidate but very inexperienced .

He has been compared to RFK. You can see the comparsion in terms of he looks a bit like RFK . And this matters in the US on the democrat side. Clinton and both Obama even Jimmy Carter were all compared to JFK. Since the 60s Americans have been looking for a candidate in the JFk mode. Young forties handsome articulate with young family , who talks about hope and American dream. It might seem odd here. To be sucessful democrat if ur compared to JFk this is what Democrats are always looking for a new JFK. And O Rourke was continuely compared to RFK. Probaly the more talented kennedy brother.

And I definitely feel Democrats are always looking for another kennedy and the Americans also in general like this type of candiate. Look at the West Wing the TV programme. The President in the programme wud be an idealised version of US President. The US president Americans wud have liked in real life more then W Bush. The time the show was on air. Barlet the US President in the show who was he modelled on , an older maturer version of JFK. Martin Sheen even acted JFK in an earlier film.

That idea of young articlulate forty something giving hope and talking aspiration is a powerful candidate in the US. Everywhere there is alway search for this sort of candidate. Blair when he was first elected in Uk , Trudeau in Canada and Macron in France are all similar candiates. All of them were compared to JFK before their winning elections. They might have all failed to live up to the hype. But I definitely feel in America and other western powers that JFk sort of candidate is want people look for on the liberal/ left leaning side. And it is candidate that can be very sucessful candidate. It all goes back to kennedy. The first real modern media tv president. The problem is nearly all these candiates never live up to the hype and hope and promises they make in elections eg Clinton Obama Trudeau Macron Blair. So I see O Rourke as type of candidate more compared to RFK then JFK. But that is a sort of candidate is always popular agmost democrats. I think if ur compared to kennedys it helps. If that makes sense.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    He did extremely well in Texas. While demographics are changing in Texas with migration to the state. It still is a huge red state. Seen as one of the strongest republican states in the country. Cruz might be unpopular but a democrat in Texas is much more unpopular overall. His performance in Texas was very impressive. He is an interesting candidate but very inexperienced .

[...]

The problem is nearly all these candiates never live up to the hype and hope and promises they make in elections eg Clinton Obama Trudeau Macron Blair. So I see O Rourke as type of candidate more compared to RFK then JFK. But that is a sort of candidate is always popular agmost democrats. I think if ur compared to kennedys it helps. If that makes sense.

Even JFK didn't really live up to JFK from what came out later. The ideal of him is always going to leave a candidate on a hiding to nothing.

Beto has exploded with a $6m+ opening 24 hours of donations, so it certainly suggests he's very much a credible candidate at this early stage.
    The Republicans are trying to head him off with some accusations about attempting to flee the scene of a crime following a DUI, but it was 20 years ago and I really doubt that he has much to worry about on the scandal front if that's the worst skeleton in his closet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Beto fits the bill needs nicely. I think he would have a great chance of defeating Trump.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1107636695091040256

Some solid tweets there about Beto. The Bernie brigade may call Beto an Obama clone, for many fed up with the madness of the last few years that's not the insult they may think.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Schnitzler Hiyori Geta

It's looking like Biden is about to announce and, unusually, he's going to apparently announce his VP candidate at this stage. Sounding like Stacey Abrams is the safe money, but I'm not sure about that personally.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's looking like Biden is about to announce and, unusually, he's going to apparently announce his VP candidate at this stage. Sounding like Stacey Abrams is the safe money, but I'm not sure about that personally.

That's a mistake I think.. Removes the possibility of choosing one of the other candidates as VP to consolidate the voters..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

Gbear wrote: »
    Beto has exploded with a $6m+ opening 24 hours of donations, so it certainly suggests he's very much a credible candidate at this early stage.

Anyone have a breakdown on this $6m, as in how many donors? It's an impressive figure and grabbed the headlines, but it's meaningless in terms of his popularity on the ground without knowing where the money came from.

Also $6m is easily got if it's from people who'll be looking for access and a possible return on investment at some later stage.

There is no good reason for him not to disclose this info.

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1107636695091040256

Some solid tweets there about Beto. The Bernie brigade may call Beto an Obama clone, for many fed up with the madness of the last few years that's not the insult they may think.

B

Beto entering race hurts Sanders chances.

Beto is far more progressive than Obama was so it's weird they would compare him to Obama. In saying that the longer the Texas Senate race went the more to the centre and even right O'Rourke moved in an attempt to appeal to everyone.. didn't work. So maybe Bernie supporters have a point
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    That's a mistake I think.. Removes the possibility of choosing one of the other candidates as VP to consolidate the voters..

When was last time a primary winner picked one of their rivals as vp? Usually those primaries are so bitter and hard-fought it's unusual to turn around and forgive that fast. Even Obama choosing Clinton as secretary of state surprised many given how ugly their campaign was

Abrams is solid choice. She is a much better talker than pence so their debate should be home run win for Dems

Isn't Beto the guy who took no contributions from big money in the Senate race?

Also he lost out by 1% to a very well known Republican Senator in Texas which is some achievement even with a loss.

• Advertisement

Biden moving further ahead, gaining 4 points in last week and 6 since late February.

O'Rourke seeing very little bump after announcement

3Bccni3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Biden definitely seems to be running, he let it slip at a speech yesterday and just now the WSJ is reporting
    Former Vice President Joe Biden reached out to at least a half-dozen supporters Tuesday to tell them he intends to run for president and to ask for their help in lining up contributions from major donors so he can quickly raise several million dollars, a person familiar with the matter said.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/joe-biden-tells-supporters-he-plans-2020-bid-11553033380

If Biden runs, or any old guy, they are handing Trump a second term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Must say there is some difference between the dignified response of the New Zealand prime minister to the mass shooting there than there has been from president trump when the same thing happens in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Biden runs, or any old guy, they are handing Trump a second term.

Why? Biden or "an old guy" would probably appeal more to moderates who could vote either way but may be opposed to a woman being nominated, whereas progressives who do want a woman nominated and are opposed to old white guys being nominated would still be more likely to vote for one or Biden if the alternative is Trump.

While there are definitely those who don't want to see another privileged old white guy or whatever get the nomination, those same people would likely see them as the far lesser of two evils, particularly given how Trump and the GOP are going after women's rights such as abortion etc.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement