Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's gonna come down to the debates. I can't believe trump can attack the sexual assault allegation given his own history so I think it just comes down to Biden not looking like a geriatric with dementia or Alzheimer's.

Biden hasn't Dementia or Alzheimers. He is infact a dead automaton, raised by the chief necromancer of the one world government, Hilary Clinton. Have you ever felt his flesh, it looks cold and dead to me.

But then again, I am, like you. just an unqualified internet vouyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duploelabs wrote:
    Biden hasn't Dementia or Alzheimers. He is infact a dead automaton, raised by the chief necromancer of the one world government, Hilary Clinton. Have you ever felt his flesh, it looks cold and dead to me.

Was it you that did a similar post a couple of pages back?
    Got a couple of thanks. Looking for more?

No, there's a reason why even qualified practitioners cannot and will not diagnose potential patients outside an extensive diagnosis process.
    My statement about Biden being a dead automaton or a lizard person is as accurate as your statements, so please prove my assumptions wrong

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

duploelabs wrote: »

No, there's a reason why even qualified practitioners cannot and will not diagnose potential patients outside an extensive diagnosis process.
    My statement about Biden being a dead automaton or a lizard person is as accurate as your statements, so please prove my assumptions wrong

Cut out the bickering please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

duploelabs wrote:
    No, there's a reason why even qualified practitioners cannot and will not diagnose potential patients outside an extensive diagnosis process. My statement about Biden being a dead automaton or a lizard person is as accurate as your statements, so please prove my assumptions wrong
    Can you show me where in my last two posts I made a diagnosis?
    All I said is he has to get through the debates without looking like that. There's millions of people willing to form opinions very quickly about these things. Those people are part of the electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

I still don't understand this Republican tactic of attacking Biden based on his age.
    Trump is 4 years younger, not a crazy difference.
    Trump also had loads of rambling speeches that are totally nuts.
    It's a bad sign for the Republicans if this is their best line of attack.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

vetinari wrote: »
    I still don't understand this Republican tactic of attacking Biden based on his age.
    Trump is 4 years younger, not a crazy difference.
    Trump also had loads of rambling speeches that are totally nuts.
    It's a bad sign for the Republicans if this is their best line of attack.

It's classic narcissist stuff - Attack the other person for the things you think they might attack you about.

Trump is worried that people might think he's old and weak so that's what he calls everyone else.

It's like the school playground - "You're fat" , "Yeah , well you're MUCH fatter and will probably die of fatness!!!"

It's infantile and pathetic , but not in the least bit surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

With Trump now planning a rally in Tulsa, on Juneteenth, which shows a heretofore level of tonedeafedness, well, since yesterday I guess, does it seem to anyone else that he's trying to rally the base into such a fever that the election result becomes moot.

It's looking more and more unlikely that he'll win. So is his plan now to just go off the cliff edge of crazy and rally the troops for the "stolen election" in November?

That Biden needs to come out and say this really reflects on what the US has become.

How can anyone think that this is okay?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/11/joe-biden-donald-trump-military-election-lose

I'm glad that Biden is bringing this to the forefront and it doesn't solely remain a discussion point on message boards and Reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

vetinari wrote: »
    Can we stop talking about swaying any swing voters?
    Victory for either side relies on bringing out your supporters to vote.
    If you're still voting for Trump at this point, there's not much that can happen to change that.
    I hope Biden wins in November. The big issue as has always been the case is if Democratic voters will turn out in enough numbers.
    Hopefully they will given that the alternative would be another 4 years of Trump.

Swing voters, the undecideds are actually the largest block of voters so they do matter. Of course both sides need to get the core vote and the GOP (for various reasons) are better at it.

But the undecideds and swing voters play a huge role in deciding elections, always will.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That Biden needs to come out and say this really reflects on what the US has become.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/11/joe-biden-donald-trump-military-election-lose

I'm glad that Biden is bringing this to the forefront and it doesn't solely remain a discussion point on message boards and Reddit.

Great to see Biden using Trumpian tactics. Accuse him of voter fraud and anarchy even if it's not yet true. Go Joe.

• Advertisement

Great to see Biden using Trumpian tactics. Accuse him of voter fraud and anarchy even if it's not yet true. Go Joe.

Trump did commit voter fraud. He's not a registered resident in florida, yet voted by mail there

Also, the rebuttal says that president trump had been clear that he will accept the result of the election, (given that he wouldn't make that commitment in 2016 that would actually carry some worries for me in terms of why he is committing to it this time) where has he been clear about this? Has he made a statement to that effect? I don't remember one

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Trump did commit voter fraud. He's not a registered resident in florida, yet voted by mail there

He is registered in Florida. The question is whether that registration is valid and that has not been ruled on to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Im very concerned about the rise of the Far Left.

Burty330 wrote: »

Who are their leadership? What structure do they have?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What part of Joe Biden do you feel is "Far left" given the topic is the election campaign itself? Nothing about the current Democratic power structure is particularly left wing - considering most would fit happily within Fine Gael's own.

Well Biden is right wing so you have no issues there

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭moon2

Podge_irl wrote: »
    He is registered in Florida. The question is whether that registration is valid and that has not been ruled on to my knowledge.

Just to make sure everyone understands the nuance there: Trump is registered to a Floridian address, however he cannot legally be a resident of that address.

To unwind the fraud the courts will have to re-confirm he is ineligible to be considered a resident of his resort, and then to continue to find him guilty of voter fraud by virtue of illegally claiming he was resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

For any people on the left that are still clinging to or pushing the narrative that there is not much difference between Trump and Biden.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1271540773851463681?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Surely many of his recent actions play to the core base, which is a minority of the voters. More like setting up a media base than looking to win the reelection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Foxtrol wrote: »
    For any people on the left that are still clinging to or pushing the narrative that there is not much difference between Trump and Biden.

I remember in the main thread, one of those drive by contrarians who insisted Trump wasn't a homophobe because of a single photo op where he posed with a rainbow flag (given by some minor "gays for Trump") group. Couldn't be convinced otherwise. Depressing news like this makes me wonder on those arcs.

I'm trying to think how this could be spun such that it wasn't homophobic. Cos you know some will. Prejudice is gone cos Ru Paul is popular, therefore 'de gays don't need it? That's all I got. What a nasty administration is has turned out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Foxtrol wrote: »

Seemingly this is on the 4 year anniversary of the mass shooting at the gay bar in Orlando aswell.

pixelburp wrote:
    I'm trying to think how this could be spun such that it wasn't homophobic. Cos you know some will. Prejudice is gone cos Ru Paul is popular, therefore 'de gays don't need it? That's all I got. What a nasty administration is has turned out to be.
    I hate pointing this out but the Democrats are just as bad these days. The #metoo movement has just disappeared overnight because somebody made an allegation about Joe Biden. Hypocrites the lot of them whether Republican or Democrat.

Oh my God. This is going to be one of those "run in, spray crap about the place, argue a ridiculous point, set up straw men, call the place an echo chamber and then run away" things; isn't it?

Why bother lads.

I hate pointing this out but the Democrats are just as bad these days. The #metoo movement has just disappeared overnight because somebody made an allegation about Joe Biden. Hypocrites the lot of them whether Republican or Democrat.

And we hate pointing out that you're wrong. Yet we continue to do it.

The Democrats aren't even close to being as bad as the Republicans.

Literally four posts before yours, Foxtrol linked yet another heinous Trumpian/Republican plan but you go all "But-deh-Dems". Quite.

It's worrying - for you - that you're trying to keep that deflated balloon of an idea afloat at this stage.

The Democrats aren't even close to being as bad as the Republicans.
    How could you support either but f them. I presume you are a Bernie supporter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Water John wrote: »
    Surely many of his recent actions play to the core base, which is a minority of the voters. More like setting up a media base than looking to win the reelection.

I think Biden is in a strong position to win. Trump won in 2016 by appealing to the right wing and the reactionaries certainly, but would have picked up a lot of floating votes and protest votes too.

He has no such advantage this time and is so deeply polarising that only the hardcore base will stick with him.

Strazdas wrote:
    I think Biden is in a strong position to win. Trump won in 2016 by appealing to the right wing and the reactionaries certainly, but would have picked up a lot of floating votes and protest votes too.
    He has no such advantage this time and is so deeply polarising that only the hardcore base will stick with him.
    His only hope is low numbers at the polls. If Biden keeps it together in the debates he wins but if he starts mixing up people's names etc. then a lot of people may just shrug their shoulders and not vote.

How could you support either but f them. I presume you are a Bernie supporter?

What?

That's the response to my retort to your ridiculous assertion that the "Democrats are as bad as the Republicans"?

What?

• Advertisement

The Democrats don't own 'metoo', and Biden certainly wasn't directing it to disappear either.

Like most actions, Trump's latest is indefensible even to you. Why bother with bringing in this imagined what-aboutism?

His only hope is low numbers at the polls. If Biden keeps it together in the debates he wins but if he starts mixing up people's names etc. then a lot of people may just shrug their shoulders and not vote.

It's almost like you think Biden doesn't have the mental acuity to be President. Rather you think he has some cognitive issue, perhaps?

moon2 wrote:
    The Democrats don't own 'metoo', and Biden certainly wasn't directing it to disappear either.
    They were fully behaviour be it and claiming it. Now not a peep since the accusation against Biden. I never claimed Biden stopped it, I'm saying that the party has fallen off a cliff and followed Trump into hell. It's depressing to see it.
    moon2 wrote:
    Like msot actions, Trump's latest is indefensible even to you. Why bother with bringing in this imagined what-aboutism?
    Trump is horrendous, vile, despicable. The Democrats are picking up a lot of those traits sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think Trump would have been in a far better position without the Covid crisis but that and the BLM protests are a body blow to his chances - neutrals are less likely to swing behind such a divisive figure.

Well, no. Firstly the democrats don't own #metoo nor has it disappeared; there has just been other big social movements. Second, this concerns Trump actively removing protections from the LGBTQ community. There can be no comparison between social bandwagoning and active legislative persecution. Drawing moral equivalence is trite and disingenuous. Trump is a homophobe and proves it with his deeds, not empty hashtags.

pixelburp wrote:
    Well, no. Firstly the democrats don't own #metoo nor has it disappeared; there has just been other big social movements. Second, this concerns Trump actively removing protections from the LGBTQ community. There can be no comparison between social bandwagoning and active legislative persecution. Drawing moral equivalence is trite and disingenuous. Trump is a homophobe and proves it with his deeds, not empty hashtags.
    I hate appearing to defend Trump but I have questions.
    How do you come to the conclusion that the #metoo movement is not so important now when the Democrats championed it for so long?
    Didn't Trump meet Leo Varadkar in Ireland and then again in the White House. Why would a homophobe meet an openly gay man a couple of times? Surely he'd find a way out of those meetings?

• Advertisement

How do you come to the conclusion that the #metoo movement is not so important now when the Democrats championed it for so long?
    Didn't Trump meet Leo Varadkar in Ireland and then again in the White House. Why would a homophobe meet an openly gay man a couple of times? Surely he'd find a way out of those meetings?

I didn't say not important, I said other social movements have taken prominence and air time. Coupled with the last 6 months equating to a weird global limbo. Metoo still exists, and as said not a Democrat initiative. Not even an American one. Political opportunism hardly compares to naked discrimitive actions.

Mike Pence also met Varadkar, the former even more openly homophobic with his own slew of ill deeds. Maybe he hoped to covert the fallen heathen, the meeting was private so it's unclear. Your defence is amounting to the "one gay friend" excuse. Homophobia isn't a medical allergy, it's not like they break out in rashes in the presence of gay folk. Trump signed legislation that has a distinct, clearly indicative homophobic angle. The intention and effect is not even remotely ambiguous.

Either he's a homophobe, or doesn't care the effect the change will have, in which case he's callous - and so "only" passively homophobic. That he didn't refuse to meet a head of state because of sexuality doesn't negate something with a more pronounced and demonstrative real-world effect. Given his noted refusal to engage with intelligence sources it's also possible he didn't know Varadkar was gay.

Wait, so you're ignoring legislative changes that are designed to discriminate and instead leaping to him meeting a gay man? Mike Pence also met Leo Varadkar, didn't mean he wasn't a raging homophobe.

You do realise legislative changes against a group are a far bigger sign of views than simply meeting a member of said group? He's either a homophobe or he's playing up to them, either way it shows little regard for them.

Wait, so you're ignoring legislative changes that are designed to discriminate and instead leaping to him meeting a gay man? Mike Pence also met Leo Varadkar, didn't mean he wasn't a raging homophobe.
    How do you know it's designed to discriminate?
    Mike Pence does what he's told. And I'll tell you this, only thing better about Trump being gone from the White House is that there's no danger of him keeling over and leaving Pence in charge. He's a loyal soldier as VP, he'd be very dangerous as acting POTUS.
    And my own personal view is nobody should need any protection from society but unfortunately that's in a world we'll probably never see.
    You do realise legislative changes against a group are a far bigger sign of views than simply meeting a member of said group? He's either a homophobe or he's playing up to them, either way it shows little regard for them.
    Or maybe he's clueless about it. Ever think of that?

I would imagine it isn't given where he has registered as a residence is barred from being registered as a residence, but sure ya know, not like anything will be done anyway

I would imagine it isn't given where he has registered as a residence is barred from being registered as a residence, but sure ya know, not like anything will be done anyway

He is barred from living there for more than 6 (?) weeks as opposed to being barred specifically from registering it as a residence was my understanding.

It is also not fraud unless it turns out he can not register it as a residence and he should reasonably have known he couldn't register there I imagine.

• Advertisement

He is barred from living there for more than 6 (?) weeks as opposed to being barred specifically from registering it as a residence was my understanding.

It is also not fraud unless it turns out he can not register it as a residence and he should reasonably have known he couldn't register there I imagine.
    I believe a previous court order added the 6 week restriction. He can't be unaware :)

Seemingly it is part of the planning permission/zoning laws/whatever I can't be bothered to look it up right now sorry of the hotel that it cannot be claimed as a residence, reasonably Trump must have known this as he owns it. Like I said nothing will happen, and there are far more egregious problems with the Trump regime anyway.

He is aware of the 6 week restriction. There is nothing about whether it can be used as a "residence" for the purposes of voting in the planning restrictions. What is claimed is that because it is not available as a "permanent" residence then it can not be used as a residence for voting purposes. But this requires a ruling on the intersection between planning laws and voting laws. I think the general legal expectation is that it could well be ruled that it can not be used as a residence, but it is not definitive yet and claiming it is fraud is a step further again.

Fraud is not my step really, I responded to your comment about whether the registration is valid or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1271451280993550337

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1271810824840110080?s=09

Election if tomorrow Trump would be routed.

So how does Trump win from here?

1 He needs Biden to drop out. Its easy to point out his flaws, but he is shutting out Trump where it matters, the swing states and the suburbs.

2 He needs to figure out a genuinely ground breaking strategy to get the job numbers roaring again. This would be a miraculous rabbit out of the hat.

Culture wars, xenophobia,judges etc aren't going to stop him or the Republicans getting routed November, he needs to go big etc.

I remember predictions of trump being roundly trounced in almost every report the day of the election.

I remember predictions of trump being roundly trounced in almost every report the day of the election.

People didn't know what kind of president Trump would be then

People didn't know what kind of president Trump would be then

Fair point.

I do believe though, that with current media and social media bias, his support is understated.

As with his initial election, a large proportion of people support him, but not vocally.

It will be an interesting election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The electoral college definitely makes it complicated, but right now the numbers in the key states are really ugly and he is dying with the crucial suburban voters.

Also the obvious problems, people like Joe Biden unlike Hilary, we are heading into an economic depression and over 100000 people have died with covid.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The electoral college definitely makes it complicated, but right now the numbers in the key states are really ugly and he is dying with the crucial suburban voters.

Also the obvious problems, people like Joe Biden unlike Hilary, we are heading into an economic depression and over 100000 people have died with covid.

The racial division is a huge issue but I think covid has pretty much been forgotten (strange to even say).

I don't think Biden is as liked as you think he is.

It's going to be a very very interesting election with a very very intense campaign on both sides.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement