Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house rent

Options
  • 21-07-2018 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

"I'm agreed with my landlord 900 euro rent a month, but I had a problem and I pay every week 225 euro, now my landlord wants me to move out of the house, I have a wife and 16 years old son. I'm not behind the rent. what can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You haven’t said what the problem is that you had? You say you’re not behind in rent. Landlord can not ask you to leave for no reason unless you are there for less than 6 months they can give you 28 days notice in writing without a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

How long have you been living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

As a BTW, €225 pw is more than €900pcm.

225x52/12=975. €225pw is the same as €975pcm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Robi42

I'm living here only 3 months, paid my rent every month, but im lost my job and I have difficulty to put together 900 euro so i told to my landlord i can pay to him every week 225 euro antil im back to work. but his told me to move out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Robi42 wrote: »
    I'm living here only 3 months, paid my rent every month, but im lost my job and I have difficulty to put together 900 euro so i told to my landlord i can pay to him every week 225 euro antil im back to work. but his told me to move out

so you can't pay the rent due in full when its due?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

You were honest and it seems your paying the rent for now. But from his view it’s too much of a risk. He could end up with a tenant in 3 months fine who is still unemployed can no longer pay rent and suddenly has rights of tenure as they are there more than 6 months.

Once he gives 28 days written notice he doesn’t need a reason. Its up to you what you do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Unless you've a fixed term lease the LL can terminate your tenancy in first six months for any reason.

im signed the 1-year lease, I can't pay 900 on time, but weekly yes, 225 euro, already sent him the first payment of 225. I'm receiving jobseekers allowance no problem to pay 225 a week. I'm thinking about to report him RTB. I don't know what to do!!!!!

(For landlords a fixed term tenancy can be ended during the period of the fixed term if:
    the tenant has breached one of the conditions of the lease.
    the reason for ending a fixed term tenancy is non-payment of rent, the landlord must send a 14-day warning letter allowing time to pay the rent, before a 28-day notice of termination can be issued.) but I'm not behind with the rent, I pay

If you are not behind then why are you paying weekly rather than saving up the weeks and paying at the end of the month. You obviously owe a months rent and are just a week of it at a time so you are behind in rent.

Even if you aren't behind you are not paying on the agreed day or in the agreed way so you are in the wrong.

• Advertisement

yes, Maxton Small Scum. I pay weekly because I don't want my landlord to think I don't want to pay for him, I have to pay August rent what im all very start paying and it weel pay up until 9 of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Robi42 wrote: »
    yes, Maxton Small Scum. I pay weekly because I don't want my landlord to think I don't want to pay for him, I have to pay August rent what im all very start paying and it weel pay up until 9 of August.
    Your landlord expects the rent at the start of the month, but you are paying in arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

You are behind on the rent if you can't pay the full amount on the due date. However, he has to give you a 14 day notice to pay once you are in arrears, so if your rent is due on August 1st and you can scrape all your money together by August 9th, you can't be kicked out for nonpayment.

Your best bet is to beg, borrow from family, live on ramen, etc. to get that €900 together by August 1st, if that's when the rent is due, then there will definitely be no issues. If that's not possible, just make sure you get the money to him by August 9th, and make certain it's done in a traceable way (e.g. bank transfer) if possible, or record yourself handing it over to him in person, so that he can't claim he didn't receive it in time just to get you out.

I'm sanding for him over my bank account I will pay up until August 9, thank you for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP is behind in rent just three months into a 12 mth contract. This is need less to say not good. The OP then wonder s what to do ? Get a job quickly perhaps ! No mention of wife s earning whats she contributing ? Why isnt she working ? Does no one save anymore ? Three months off work is not unusual now and this is the way the working classes have seen it for years now. Why does the OP not have enough saved for this . The OP mentions reporting the landlord to the RTB , he could but on what grounds? Untimately OP cannot afford where he is living he and wife needs to work to pay the rent or move out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

The OP said he's looking for work, but it takes time to start a new job and get paid even if you get lucky and get an offer right away. His wife might not be able to work or she might not bring in enough money to cover the rent on her own, and again, it's not like she can just snap her fingers and have a paycheck from a new lucrative job just appear in her hands. As for savings, yes, folks should be trying to save up some money for emergencies, but it can be hard for some people to put aside a bit of money when they're not getting paid much and their bills are high and they're barely scraping by as it is, and then some unexpected expense or other always seems to come around and wipe out what little savings they did have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

dennyk wrote: »
    The OP said he's looking for work, but it takes time to start a new job and get paid even if you get lucky and get an offer right away. His wife might not be able to work or she might not bring in enough money to cover the rent on her own, and again, it's not like she can just snap her fingers and have a paycheck from a new lucrative job just appear in her hands. As for savings, yes, folks should be trying to save up some money for emergencies, but it can be hard for some people to put aside a bit of money when they're not getting paid much and their bills are high and they're barely scraping by as it is, and then some unexpected expense or other always seems to come around and wipe out what little savings they did have.

How is this different to other folk ? All in the same boat. You play the cards your dealth , some players arent very good is what your saying.

Advertisement