Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Barcelona

• 21-07-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

So are any of you doing it? Only 11 weeks to go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

So are any of you doing it? Only 11 weeks to go.

Yup. Weeks won't be long tipping along now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Yep - first IM - the training is picking up now

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Diego Murphy

TheBazman wrote: »
    Yep - first IM - the training is picking up now

First time for me too. I've noticed a big increase in training load in the last two weeks alright. I'm enjoying it though and finding that the cross training means the body doesn't suffer as much as it does for pure marathon training

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

I'm doing it as my first full distance too - training volume is definitely increasing now alright

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

First time for me too. I've noticed a big increase in training load in the last two weeks alright. I'm enjoying it though and finding that the cross training means the body doesn't suffer as much as it does for pure marathon training

what distances would you be covering at this stage per week? how many sessions for each discipline etc?

• Advertisement

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    what distances would you be covering at this stage per week? how many sessions for each discipline etc?
    Last week would have been 17 hours in total... 2 swims, 3 runs, 2 cycles. One of the runs was a long one, as was the sunday cycle of about 160k. I bought one of the 16 week training plans on training peaks so it's in blocks of 2 hard weeks followed by 1 easy. 17 hours is about the max. I'll be doing a half marathon in Killarney this weekend and the half iron in dun laoighaire as preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Jayney with that far out thats a serious load! fair play to you keep it up

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Jayney with that far out thats a serious load! fair play to you keep it up

Tbh it's not so bad that the difficult weeks are in two week blocks. This week nearly feels like it's a week off because it'll only be 8 hours of training and it's all low intensity. Next week it'll build again for two weeks and then another easy week. I think once the countdown gets past the 10 week mark, it'll start to fly

Tbh it's not so bad that the difficult weeks are in two week blocks. This week nearly feels like it's a week off because it'll only be 8 hours of training and it's all low intensity. Next week it'll build again for two weeks and then another easy week. I think once the countdown gets past the 10 week mark, it'll start to fly
    6 weeks tomorrow. Just after a long spin and brick. 17 mile run some time tomorrow. The weekends really do get taken over by training at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

6 weeks tomorrow. Just after a long spin and brick. 17 mile run some time tomorrow. The weekends really do get taken over by training at this stage.

How did you find the first long brick session?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Marty Bird wrote: »
    How did you find the first long brick session?

I'm finding them fine tbh but the run on the bricks that I'm doing aren't that long. I bought a training peaks plan for my training and most of the brick runs are 30mins.the longest will be 40 mins. I've researched it quite a bit online and the consensus is that the brick doesn't need to be long.

Did dun Laoghaire at the weekend and felt very strong on the run so it must be working. Having said that, whatever plan you are on, stick to it at this stage.

I'm finding them fine tbh but the run on the bricks that I'm doing aren't that long. I bought a training peaks plan for my training and most of the brick runs are 30mins.the longest will be 40 mins. I've researched it quite a bit online and the consensus is that the brick doesn't need to be long.

Did dun Laoghaire at the weekend and felt very strong on the run so it must be working. Having said that, whatever plan you are on, stick to it at this stage.

Yeah I found the first long one after 150km then a 11km run I was hanging. The next week I done a further distance and I was fine,It’s all about just building the muscle memory.

Yeah I found the first long one after 150km then a 11km run I was hanging. The next week I done a further distance and I was fine,It’s all about just building the muscle memory.

At this stage the training is just about getting through it. Volume is pretty big and there isn't much time for anything else outside of training at the moment.

At this stage the training is just about getting through it. Volume is pretty big and there isn't much time for anything else outside of training at the moment.

It’s why we tri.. it will stand to you massively it won’t stop the pain but makes it much more bearable.

It’s why we tri.. it will stand to you massively it won’t stop the pain but makes it much more bearable.

That's the plan!

Not long to go now lads! just finished a 17 hour week....wouldn't like to be facing into those all the time.....easy week ahead which I have to admit I'm looking forward to.

Best of luck to everyone taking part next Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

The amount of random people I've bumped into that are doing it is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

TheBazman wrote: »
    The amount of random people I've bumped into that are doing it is unreal.

I think it was 340 bikes going from ireland via SMTB. That's some amount of Irish at one race. I know of at least one club that has transported their own bikes so could be closer to 400 Irish taking part.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I think it was 340 bikes going from ireland via SMTB. That's some amount of Irish at one race. I know of at least one club that has transported their own bikes so could be closer to 400 Irish taking part.

That's a huge number. Throw in supporters who will travel also and id expect there to be well over 1000 people from Ireland there.

• Advertisement

Best of luck Diego on Sunday have a safe race and enjoy it and best of luck to all the other Boardsies that are doing it race safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Looks like our very own PGibbo is on his way to a 9:5x, last 3k to go if he can hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Rodney went 9.32, and has had a run injury the last month or two, great times from the 2 lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Over spectating, conditions good for running, cool and drizzling.

Swim was very rough and a lot of the first timers would have struggled.
    Bike was a complete draft fest.
    Run conditions perfect dry and overcast.

Only done this and cph and cph wins hands down as a better race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

unless it was really windy the results seem to suggest less drafting this year ?

peter kern wrote: »
    unless it was really windy the results seem to suggest less drafting this year ?

I can't comment on previous years however another factor was they did add on 5k to bike course. Think previously was 176.5km and was over 181km yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

There was a hill on each lap this year that wasn't part of the course last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »

Various facebooks rants suggest otherwise.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tunney wrote: »
    Various facebooks rants suggest otherwise.............

One that stood out was BMC pulling out as a result of the drafting.

Advertisement