Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to get first licence

• 21-07-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, I passed my test today whoooooop! How long has it been taking recently for people to get their first license from the date of the NDLS appointment?

I booked in an appointment today for next Saturday (28th) and am away on holidays from August 12th, would love to get it before then so I could rent a car on holidays.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Be careful, most care rental places need you to have had a licence for a number of years. I believe Enterprise are one of the few exceptions who require you to have been able to hold a licence for a number of years.

Congrats on the pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Most if not all car rental places require you to have held a full licence for at least two years. Some ask for three. You'll need to check and ask around.

Good luck and congrats on passing your test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

Anecdotally, I've rented a car a couple of times with my <2 year old Irish license (in Scotland and in Italy) and they've never said anything, even though their TOS specified 2+ years. (Also had my still-valid US license with me as a backup, but never had to show it...). I definitely don't look anything like a young lad with his first license fresh in hand, though, so that might make a difference (though I'm guessing OP may not be that young themselves, if they're planning on a car hire in any case...) It'd still be good for OP to have a backup plan in case they do get picky, though (do any of your traveling companions drive?).

As for the license, I think the usual turnaround is something like 7-10 days via post, so you should be good if there's no unexpected delays; I got mine within the week. If something goes wrong, though, you may end up having to go without, so again, have a backup plan there...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jager Man

dennyk wrote: »
    As for the license, I think the usual turnaround is something like 7-10 days via post, so you should be good if there's no unexpected delays; I got mine within the week. If something goes wrong, though, you may end up having to go without, so again, have a backup plan there...

Thanks I got an appointment for next Saturday but think I'll pop in on Tuesday morning to try to get into the q there to speed it up. I'm going to Turkey so not sure how strict they'll be about the 2 year rule. Thanks for all the comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Barbes

Honestly, I'd be concerned about immediately driving an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar country that has different road rules and conditions and has right-hand traffic.

Passing your test means you're a competent driver, but you're still an inexperienced driver. It would be difficult enough to deal with all of the above without considering the other drivers on the road. Turkey's road fatality rate (per 100,000 vehicles) is five times Ireland's rate. I would strongly caution against your plan, even if you did manage to find a company that would rent to you.

• Advertisement

Barbes wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd be concerned about immediately driving an unfamiliar car in an unfamiliar country that has different road rules and conditions and has right-hand traffic.

Passing your test means you're a competent driver, but you're still an inexperienced driver. It would be difficult enough to deal with all of the above without considering the other drivers on the road. Turkey's road fatality rate (per 100,000 vehicles) is five times Ireland's rate. I would strongly caution against your plan, even if you did manage to find a company that would rent to you.

I thought the same! I passed last month and still haven't gone on motorway or left Dublin.

Would take some confidence to get me driving in another country 😂

I know many people driving years that wouldn't do it

Advertisement