Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018 Woman's World Cup (London)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Still a fantastic result, well done to the ladies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Much the same as Charlie Haughey showing up on the victory podium on the Champs Elysees in 1987 when Stephen Roche won the Tour de France.

Sure he was in Paris anyway buying shirts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Much the same as Charlie Haughey showing up on the victory podium on the Champs Elysees in 1987 when Stephen Roche won the Tour de France.
    Roche was already one of the most high-profile sportsmen in the country to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I see former Irish rugby player Philip Matthews is the father of Hannah Matthews : he was on BBC Newsline with her just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Women's over 50's won their world cup also this weekend.
    They beat Australia 1-0 to win the master's world cup

Just goes to show we have always had talent here and that if nurturing starts early we could do very well in the future

Also going to show that hockey is a great sport for all ages. Many people play competitive hockey at a high level until well in to their 40s and there is a thriving master's scene with divisions right from over 40s through to the over 55s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that foot foul rule is a bit harsh...i mean how the hell are you suppose to get your foot out of the way if someone deliberately fires it at your feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

fryup wrote: »
    that foot foul rule is a bit harsh...i mean how the hell are you suppose to get your foot out of the way if someone deliberately fires it at your feet?

It's a very difficult and skillful game. Very hard to get out of the way of a belter hit straight at you.
    But it's a good rule as it makes players make every effort to use the stick only and in turn makes it more skilled.
    It's a very difficult game to umpire also as it's extremely quick with a lot going on both on and off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Great achievement by the Irish women today and through the whole tournament. They did great today.

I did think it must have been hard for them to play again today after the semi-finals yesterday. No recovery time at all.

Looking at the bigger picture I think it's a great example for teenager girls, who are at an age of giving up sports for what ever reason. We had the young athletes earlier in the summer also.

Birdsong wrote: »
    Great achievement by the Irish women today and through the whole tournament. They did great today.

I did think it must have been hard for them to play again today after the semi-finals yesterday. No recovery time at all.

Looking at the bigger picture I think it's a great example for teenager girls, who are at an age of giving up sports for what ever reason. We had the young athletes earlier in the summer also.

Yes, the situation is very promising for women's sports. It looks like the women's soccer team is getting closer and closer to the point where they might be able to qualify for a tournament at some point. The team competing at a Euros or a World Cup would be a big breakthrough moment.

It would be great if the women's hockey team could qualify for Tokyo. Team GB hockey created big interest in the UK two years ago and this Irish team getting through would make loads of headlines given their exploits this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I didn’t even know this was a thing, but RTE and the Irish MSM think this the biggest news
    Our national broadcaster didn’t even show the games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I didn’t even know this was a thing, but RTE and the Irish MSM think this the biggest news

They did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was there an Irish player that got called up to the squad this week? How is that allowed?

In fairness, the two wins in the pool stages were widely reported and highlights were shown on RTE News. I saw highlights of the opening two wins against USA and India.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Well done to everyone involved but it was Men against girls out there today. Let's hope they get professional status now here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was there an Irish player that got called up to the squad this week? How is that allowed?

They were allowed 2 players on the injured reserve list which is why they risked Megan Frazer, who was playing her 1st hockey in 18 months after some bad knee injuries and then ended up doing her hamstring in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Anyone who were expecting Ireland to beat the Netherlands or get anywhere near them were off their head and you can't go on Spain beating Australia in a 3rd place play off.

The semi final game for Netherlands was the worst they played in this comp and well Ireland keeping it at 6 was good.

Pressure is now on the men for their World Cup in December over in India

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well done to everyone involved but it was Men against girls out there today. Let's hope they get professional status now here.

How do you propose that gets funded?

Cricket Ireland employ full time players and they received only 100k more in sports council funding in 2017 and 2018. The cricket team travels quite a lot too.

Hockey assoc also got ~40k from women in sport initiative and money from NI council. Not sure if CI did likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Strazdas wrote: »
    In fairness, the two wins in the pool stages were widely reported and highlights were shown on RTE News. I saw highlights of the opening two wins against USA and India.

Sorry my bad

Fantastic to see the reception the girls got at Dublin Airport. I'm no fan of Shane Ross but telling them when they arrived that hockey is going to get a huge increase in funding for Tokyo 2020 was the right thing to do and it was the right time to announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Strazdas wrote:
    Fantastic to see the reception the girls got at Dublin Airport. I'm no fan of Shane Ross but telling them when they arrived that hockey is going to get a huge increase in funding for Tokyo 2020 was the right thing to do and it was the right time to announce it.

Will it though? Where are they cutting to get that money?

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    Will it though? Where are they cutting to get that money?

Well the country is showing strong economic growth at the moment. It should be fairly easy to find the extra funding for hockey - we're probably talking about an extra few hundred thousand for the potential Olympic team, that's all. It's not as if they would need millions for their preparations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Well the country is showing strong economic growth at the moment. It should be fairly easy to find the extra funding for hockey - we're probably talking about an extra few hundred thousand for the potential Olympic team, that's all. It's not as if they would need millions for their preparations.
    "An extra few hundred thousand" is huge money for a bankrupt country to simply toss to a sport like women's hockey. I don't begrudge them extra funding, but I don't think you realise how much that it, or the uproar it'd (rightly) cause among other sports - men's hockey arguably being the most obvious one.

cdeb wrote: »
    "An extra few hundred thousand" is huge money for a bankrupt country to simply toss to a sport like women's hockey. I don't begrudge them extra funding, but I don't think you realise how much that it, or the uproar it'd (rightly) cause among other sports - men's hockey arguably being the most obvious one.

Ross said the funding would be going to all Olympic sports, not just the women's hockey team.

Ross said the funding would be going to all Olympic sports, not just the women's hockey team.
    Not sure that answers the question really. "A few hundred thousand" extra is a lot of money to drop.

Ross' €220m funding is a total 10-year figure, not an increase or anything. The proposed increase is €10m/year, and you can imagine if a politician is promising that, he'll get haggled down a fair bit on the grounds of it simply not being there. And that's before the economic impact of Brexit or another housing bubble bursting.

Like I say, I don't in the slightest begrudge the team extra money - to pay entry fees for an obvious starter - but I don't see how you can just drop in a few hundred thousand for one team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Strazdas wrote:

Where did the money come from? I doubt they found 1.5m down the back of the couch, so it's been cut from somewhere else. He said women's hockey is to receive a significant part of it too.

Unless that money was already earmarked in the budget and he's just announcing it now for cheap points scoring, it's likely to have come from somewhere else.

Where did the money come from? I doubt they found 1.5m down the back of the couch, so it's been cut from somewhere else. He said women's hockey is to receive a significant part of it too.

Unless that money was already earmarked in the budget and he's just announcing it now for cheap points scoring, it's likely to have come from somewhere else.

As I said further up, the country is showing strong economic growth at the moment which presumably the exchequer take is increasing year in, year out. It's not as if we are in the middle of a recession and the three year IMF bailout.

But as also noted further up, there's Brexit and a potential housing collapse on the way. The record low interest rates should be an indicator that we're not in normal economic conditions still.

I think your premise is a rather flimsy one for finding a spare few hundred thousand for one team in one sport.

cdeb wrote: »
    But as also noted further up, there's Brexit and a potential housing collapse on the way. The record low interest rates should be an indicator that we're not in normal economic conditions still.

I think your premise is a rather flimsy one for finding a spare few hundred thousand for one team in one sport.

The exchequer take for one year is about €70bn in Ireland. An increase of funding of €1.5m for Olympic sports is not an outrageous amount. Compared to many countries, including our nearest neighbour, the amount of money we spend on sports funding is very much on the low side - it's not as if an increase is being announced on the back of massive funding.

We only have one 50m swimming pool in the country, don't have an athletics track that could hold a major championship and no cycling velodrome. Let's keep things in some perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The exchequer take for one year is about €70bn in Ireland. An increase of funding of €1.5m for Olympic sports is not an outrageous amount. Compared to many countries, including our nearest neighbour, the amount of money we spend on sports funding is very much on the low side - it's not as if an increase is being announced on the back of massive funding.

We only have one 50m swimming pool in the country, don't have an athletics track that could hold a major championship and no cycling velodrome. Let's keep things in some perspective.

Are there not plans to build a velodrome in Ireland in the fairly near future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Horse racing gets 64million a year in subsidy, so you could shave a measly 1.5 million off that and still the millionaires will have plenty of taxpayer funded prizemoney to fight over.
    http://collegetribune.ie/horseracinggovtfunding/

Advertisement