Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarm

Options
  • 21-07-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Have an elderly relative who asked if i wouldnt mind changing the batteries in 4 alarms(240v plus 9v backup) for him as they were beeping and driving him mad:pac:

No problem says I told him to buy good quality batteries so he did and bought Duracell ones.

Swapped them out and they still are beeping afterwards is it a case of he has to replace them

He has 2x Heat Alarm Ei Electronics Ei44Rc
    And 2xQuest Ionization Smoke Alarm

Is there a certain life span on them looking on the date stamps they have another 4-5 years before requiring to be replaced.
    He cant remember when they were installed he seems to think 2-3 years old they are.

Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A battery warning will only be a chirp every 30 seconds or so. Are you sure it's not an alarm condition? If you have an alarm controller fitted press "Locate" to identify which alarm. It could be dust in it which needs hoovered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Risteard81 wrote: »
    A battery warning will only be a chirp every 30 seconds or so. Are you sure it's not an alarm condition? If you have an alarm controller fitted press "Locate" to identify which alarm. It could be dust in it which needs hoovered out.

Thanks for the reply risteard81

No basic set up house is circa 1950's rewired in the last few years by the look of things all surface mounted new switches sockets mcb board etc
    Alarm bases wired from one of the lighting circuits

Alarms are interlinked so when i press test on either one of the two heat detectors on the ground floor one in kitchen and one in the sitting room they both alarm and give audible alarm.

No sign of fire as he said it started during the week and i didnt get a chance until this evening to call down to him

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I know it's not your house OP but I wouldn't buy Duracell, I buy the cheap PP3 battery in Tesco and that makes me change them every year. Trouble with Duracell is that you think they're going to last one, two, three.... and then you forget about them.

Advertisement