Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

contract for purchase of land

• 21-07-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I was looking to see what makes a contract legal. I have a been told I can buy land from someone but there is very difficult planning issue, so there will be a lot involved in this to be allowed to berezoned/ planning permission. I would like to know that if I got this approved that he wouldn't just build on the land himself.

So if i just draw up a terms of agreement and we both sign it does that give me any legal stance and security or do you need it signed/witnessed by a solicitor or anything..

Thanks for any help..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Mod
    Sorry you may not get legal advice here.
    For now will leave this open for general discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

You just buy subject to planning permission being granted

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roadrunner69

ismat wrote: »
    You just buy subject to planning permission being granted

It needs to be rezoned and if it gets rezoned I want to be sure the current owner doesn't decide they want to build on it after me doing all the work..

nuac wrote: »
    Mod
    Sorry you may not get legal advice here.
    For now will leave this open for general discussion

😂In the legal section??

Mod
    Yes, in LD for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

It needs to be rezoned and if it gets rezoned I want to be sure the current owner doesn't decide they want to build on it after me doing all the work..

Are you doing work on it prior to buying it ?

• Advertisement

ismat wrote: »
    Are you doing work on it prior to buying it ?

No can't touch it till rezoned. It's the end of a housing estate road that leads to nowhere.

Owned by someone but as it's a road it's what's called 'taking in charge' by local county council so it's their to release the land..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

You could probably find a solicitor who would draw up some form of legally binding agreement for you, if you can get the vendor to sign it. Of course even then, enforcing it could be as problem if the vendor changed his mind!

So you either buy it as is (at a price that reflects its current zoning) and then try to get it re-zoned yourself, or you wait until the landowner gets it re-zoned (at his own expense) and then hope that he'll sell it to you (at a higher price).

Of course you'd be much better off paying a qualified legal professional for their advice, rather than seeking the advice of unknown, unqualified posters (like me!) on boards.ie - but you already know that! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

😂In the legal section??

There is a big difference between Legal Discussion and Legal Advice.

One allows us talk about the law/legalities in general, the other forbids us about advising on specific legal issues - and for good reason.

Turnipman wrote: »
    You could probably find a solicitor who would draw up some form of legally binding agreement for you, if you can get the vendor to sign it. Of course even then, enforcing it could be as problem if the vendor changed his mind!

So you either buy it as is (at a price that reflects its current zoning) and then try to get it re-zoned yourself, or you wait until the landowner gets it re-zoned (at his own expense) and then hope that he'll sell it to you (at a higher price).

Of course you'd be much better off paying a qualified legal professional for their advice, rather than seeking the advice of unknown, unqualified posters (like me!) on boards.ie - but you already know that! :P

Haha thanks..

Have thought similar to your points.. I don't think they are going to put any effort into rezoning but I am willing to..

I just want to make sure I'm covered.

Might just have to talk to a solicitor..

GM228 wrote: »
    There is a big difference between Legal Discussion and Legal Advice.

One allows us talk about the law/legalities in general, the other forbids us about advising on specific legal issues - and for good reason.

I just need to know if I made a contract is it in any way gonna save me from being shafted not setting up a group chat legal team for a triple murder..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's common enough to buy, subject to planning permission.
    So if i just draw up a terms of agreement and we both sign it does that give me any legal stance and security or do you need it signed/witnessed by a solicitor or anything..
    It would be best to go through a solicitor.

You need to be sure that the roads is taken in charge and that there is no 'ransom strip' between road and site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

This is a common situation. What needs to be done is that the contract for sale should have a condition that the contract will be subject to planning being obtained within a period of time and perhaps within a further period of time if matters are referred to An Bord Pleanala.

These are matters which require solicitors who carry out conveyancing work.
    Might just have to talk to a solicitor..
    A solicitor is absolutely required for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tommyit

Is the moderator of this forum a solicitor because I have seen a lot of interesting discussion either shut down by the moderator or advised to see a solicitor and don’t tolerate putting down a solicitor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

tommyit wrote: »
    Is the moderator of this forum a solicitor because I have seen a lot of interesting discussion either shut down by the moderator or advised to see a solicitor and don’t tolerate putting down a solicitor

Would it matter if the moderator is a practicing solicitor (however I believe that they should be) or not?
    Legal advice needs to be specific to the situation that you are in.
    Often little, but vital, details can be omitted when the OP is given their version of events.
    A friend of mine called it the trapdoor.

This is a discussion forum people should be free to post their experiences and options within reason just the same as any other forum.Dealing with solicitors is midfield you won’t get unbiased advise about a solicitor or solicitor profession from a solicitor and I defiantly think the moderator should not be a solicitor we are deviating so this should be a post so I will start a new post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

Please keep discussion on topic re contracts for purchase of land /property.

Discussion of moderation is not to be carried out on the thread.

As stated in last post deviation was noted and new tread was started no moderator needed
    New post Is the moderator a solicitor  

Advertisement