Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on this car

• 21-07-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/18596560

Need something for about 2-3 years. My Mileage is low per year.

Just wanna keep costs down a bit (new baby)......but don’t want to buy a 1 litre fiat panda either.

This car has 163,000 MILES on it, but from what I hear, they are fairly reliable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think that particular car has been on sale for a long time. Longer than the days on the ad anyway.

They are quite reliable. I’ve seen hatchbacks for similar money (07/06), they’d be a lot better for what you’re doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭obi604

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think that particular car has been on sale for a long time. Longer than the days on the ad anyway.

Oh ok. So does that mean it’s not great

Not saying it’s not great but it suggests that either the car is wrong, the ad is poor or the price is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Gat Dayum!

Do you actually want an automatic?

Without being high and mighty on it I would say it's an undesirable body style of the car, it's juicy at the petrol station (auto 1.8 petrol, especially if you're going to be using it around town), tax is high, mileage is high and the price is nuts.

Reliability wouldn't be an issue but it's just a crappy car and a crappy deal.

Gat Dayum! wrote: »

Without being high and mighty on it I would say it's an undesirable body style of the car, it's juicy at the petrol station (auto 1.8 petrol, especially if you're going to be using it around town), tax is high, mileage is high and the price is nuts.

Yeah. I want automatic.
    I thought the MPG was decent on these.

What is a good price for this car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know the above is just your opinion but your opinion is completely wrong on this one.

They are a very good car, even in automatic. The saloon model is fairly desirable snd the vast majority of people looking for a reliable saloon petrol car on this forum are recommended a civic saloon FD1. The price is very reasonable if even a little cheap for an 08 model and they’re quite economical compared to similar sized petrol automatics. Tax is €570 which isn’t overly expensive.

The only thing you got sort of right is that the mileage is slightly high.

It’s ok that you don’t like them but don’t slate a car purely because it’s not something you would drive and finally I’m guessing your one of the ‘chape tax’ brigade that have resulted in this country being full to the brim of low spec Shiite diesel cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Baby Jesus cries - €570 is seen as being high tax and a 1.8 automatic is seen as a gas guzzler. Welcome back 1980s Ireland.

I know the above is just your opinion but your opinion is completely wrong on this one.

They are a very good car, even in automatic. The saloon model is fairly desirable snd the vast majority of people looking for a reliable saloon petrol car are recommended this model car especially on this forum. The price is very reasonable if even a little cheap for an 08 model and they’re quite economical compared to similar sized petrol automatics. Tax is €570 which isn’t overly expensive.

Interesting. You seem to have a bit of knowledge on these. I know hard to say and depends on how it’s driven etc, but ball park, what kind of mpg could one expect from this 1.8 petrol automatic.

Is the high mileage a worrier ? Like am I looking at repair bills etc

They are quite reliable. I’ve seen hatchbacks for similar money (07/06), they’d be a lot better for what you’re doing.

Just wondering, Why would hatchbacks be better?

I’ve head the auto transmission in the hatchbacks is a bit clunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

bazz26 wrote: »
    Baby Jesus cries - €570 is seen as being high tax and a 1.8 automatic is seen as a gas guzzler. Welcome back 1980s Ireland.

Sorry but your comment is a bit ridiculous. Why wouldn’t €570 be considered high?? - Especially to a new parent trying to “keep costs down”

Tax is realtive but why exactly would you consider it low???

What would that car cost to tax in the UK? £140?

What if i told you a BMW 640d costs €390 to tax??

€570 for a 1.8 civic is extortionate tax. Just because we hve become so accustomed to being bent over by our government for motor tax and you have become immune to it, doesnt mean it isnt high

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    Interesting. You seem to have a bit of knowledge on these. I know hard to say and depends on how it’s driven etc, but ball park, what kind of mpg could one expect from this 1.8 petrol automatic.

Is the high mileage a worrier ? Like am I looking at repair bills etc

On the open road it’ll do high 30’s into low 40’s so long as your not driving the lining out of it. Around town that figure will drop just like in any car. The mileage shouldn’t be a worry if the car has been well looked after and serviced regularly and at that price I wouldn’t be too concerned with the mileage. They’re a reliable car and repair bills should be few and far between and even if something does go wrong, parts are not overly expensive.

ION08 wrote: »
    Sorry but your comment is a bit ridiculous. Why wouldn’t €570 be considered high?? - Especially to a new parent trying to “keep costs down”

What would that car cost to tax in the UK?

€570 for a 1.8 civic is extortionate tax. Just because we hve become so accustomed to being bent over by our government for motor tax and you have become immune to it, doesnt mean it isnt high

It’s not high when you consider the reliability of a petrol engine compared to the delicate diesels that fall apart if not driven on long journeys or serviced bang on time with expensive dealer only parts etc etc

The cost to tax the same car in the uk is irrelevant as this is Ireland and not the Uk.

A 640d (even the oldest one available to buy) is going to cost €60k, the civic is €2500. Do you always compare opposites to make your point??

On the open road it’ll do high 30’s into low 40’s so long as your not driving the lining out of it. Around town that figure will drop just like in any car. The mileage shouldn’t be a worry if the car has been well looked after and serviced regularly and at that price I wouldn’t be too concerned with the mileage. They’re a reliable car and repair bills should be few and far between and even if something does go wrong, parts are not overly expensive.

That is decent mpg alright. Thanks. Would the mpg around town be totally crap ?

Listen, if the OP is trying to keep costs down then why is he/she looking at a car that costs €570 to tax to begin with? It's low compared to a lot of pre 2008 cars. Nobody likes it but motor tax is a fact of life for motorists here, you can get over it or talk/whinge about it on the internet but that won't change it.

And I know pretty well how much a 640d costs to tax, but it also costs a hell of a lot more to buy the car for the privilege.

It’s not high when you consider the reliability of a petrol engine compared to the delicate diesels that fall apart if not driven on long journeys or serviced bang on time with expensive dealer only parts etc etc

The cost to tax the same car in the uk is irrelevant as this is Ireland and not the Uk.

A 640d (even the oldest one available to buy) is going to cost €60k, the civic is €2500. Do you always compare opposites to make your point??

Yeah cleary your points are much better in tying to justify €570 as not being a high amount of tax to pay on a car worth €2500 :rolleyes:

It’s realiable so therefore €570 isnt high motortax to be paying??

What if it breaks down?? Can i offset the costs of that againts next years motor tax??

You have exactly the type of sheep mentality the government want people to have whereby youve been gouged for tax as a motorist to the extent that you feel €570 is low and even more rodocilously you are trying defend somebody for sneering at someone else who feels like €570 is a high amount of tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Listen, if the OP is trying to keep costs down then why is he/she looking at a car that costs €570 to tax to begin with? It's low compared to a lot of pre 2008 cars. Nobody likes it but motor tax is a fact of life for motorists here, you can get over it or talk/whinge about it on the internet but that won't change it.

And I know pretty well how much a 640d costs to tax, but it also costs a hell of a lot more to buy the car for the privilege.

The crazy thing with 2008 cars is that the tax from January 1 to June 30 is the old rate based on engine size and from July 1 onwards is the rate based on engine emissions.€570 annual tax is emission band D and is quite expensive considering all the cars out there that are on bands A0 to A4 with annual tax of
    €120-€200.

It would have cost over €600 on the older engine based tax system and not all cars automatically went into lower tax brackets in July 2008. If you want something similar with €200 a year tax then expect to pay more than 2.5k for the car itself. The problem here is that just because we are used to cars now with €180/€200 tax everything else shouldn't just be dismissed or ruled out because he costs a bit more to tax.

Listen, if the OP is trying to keep costs down then why is he/she looking at a car that costs €570 to tax to begin with?

I am listening , and it sounds like you now agree that €570 is infact a high amount of tax to be paying.

motor tax is a fact of life for motorists here, you can get over it or talk/whinge about it on the internet..

What’s option ‘C’ ? Make smarmy comments about Jesus weeping and 1980’s Ireland whenever someone remarks at €570 being a high rate of tax?

I am listening , and it sounds like you now agree that €570 is infact a high amount of tax to be paying.

No I still don't deem it to be high, yes it's higher than a €200 a year to tax car but there are plenty of cars out there that cost more than €570 to tax too.

What’s option ‘C’ ? Make smarmy comments about Jesus weeping and 1980’s Ireland whenever someone remarks at €570 being a high rate of tax?

My "smarmy" comment was about the typical Irish attitude a poster gave by dismissing the car outright listing high tax, being an automatic and fond of fuel as if it was some sort of luxobarge, it'a Honda Civic for gods sake. It's ridiculous to dismiss the car for just those reasons don't you agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Sure the OP can buy himself a cheap diesel for the cheap tax.

Then he can pay the idiot tax when his dpf and egr block up due to him not needing a diesel in the first place. Also more wear on tyres as diesel cars are heavier too.

I think I'm just scratching the surface here but to be honest I cannot be bothered to waste any more of my time with this argument on a saturday night.

OP you seem to have the right idea going for petrol as you said you will be doing low mileage so please stick with that idea and don't let anyone else brainwash you into thinking otherwise with tempting incentives such as "cheap tax". The diesel equivalent of the car will be more expensive than the petrol in most cases anyways.

I have no idea on prices or anything but would a prius be worth while for the OP to look at?

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Sure the OP can buy himself a cheap diesel for the cheap tax.

Then he can pay the idiot tax when his dpf and egr block up due to him not needing a diesel in the first place. Also more wear on tyres as diesel cars are heavier too.

I think I'm just scratching the surface here but to be honest I cannot be bothered to waste any more of my time with this argument on a saturday night.

OP you seem to have the right idea going for petrol as you said you will be doing low mileage so please stick with that idea and don't let anyone else brainwash you into thinking otherwise with tempting incentives such as "cheap tax". The diesel equivalent of the car will be more expensive than the petrol in most cases anyways.

I have no idea on prices or anything but would a prius be worth while for the OP to look at?

Thanks for comments.

Don’t like the look of that generation Prius , the next generation (2009) looks nicer and it’s a 1.8 as opposed to a 1.5 — but over my budget.

Getting back to the Civic. If we can ignore tax ; )

Overall, from what I am reading, it seems like a good car.

Just worried the car is on sale so long and the ad seems a bit crap and lazy.....But then again not all people have a gra for cars.

They are a very good car, even in automatic. The saloon model is fairly desirable snd the vast majority of people looking for a reliable saloon petrol car on this forum are recommended a civic saloon FD1. The price is very reasonable if even a little cheap for an 08 model and they’re quite economical compared to similar sized petrol automatics. Tax is €570 which isn’t overly expensive.

It’s ok that you don’t like them but don’t slate a car purely because it’s not something you would drive and finally I’m guessing your one of the ‘chape tax’ brigade that have resulted in this country being full to the brim of low spec Shiite diesel cars.

Wow, lovely condescending tone there.

Firstly, the "vast majority of people looking for a reliable saloon petrol car" - not sure what the relevance here is. I'm taking about the majority of car buying people, not just those already committed to buying a saloon!

€2500 for a car with 163000 miles and low to mid 30s mpg is most certainly nuts. OP could pay that all day long for a diesel with the cheap tax if he wanted so many miles on his car and even if he wants a petrol for the "reliability" you mention, the 2008 BMW 318 is 390 a year to tax, a far more desirable car and he'd easily find one for 2500 with way less miles than the Civic.

Finally, not sure about the low spec diesel comment... This is a low spec old Honda civic. And chape tax... That's a bad thing is it?!

OP, keep looking, it's a crappy deal at that price. Or knock like a grand off it. He'll bite your hand off.

Firstly, the "vast majority of people looking for a reliable saloon petrol car" - not sure what the relevance here is. I'm taking about the majority of car buying people, not just those already committed to buying a saloon!

€2500 for a car with 163000 miles and low to mid 30s mpg is most certainly nuts. OP could pay that all day long for a diesel with the cheap tax if he wanted so many miles on his car and even if he wants a petrol for the "reliability" you mention, the 2008 BMW 318 is 390 a year to tax, a far more desirable car and he'd easily find one for 2500 with way less miles than the Civic.

Finally, not sure about the low spec diesel comment... This is a low spec old Honda civic. And chape tax... That's a bad thing is it?!

OP, keep looking, it's a crappy deal at that price. Or knock like a grand off it. He'll bite your hand off.

Thanks for input.

Some people are saying 2500 is an ok price for this, you think it’s 1000 too much. Everybody has their opinion I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭MarkN

Using the relativity theory, you can’t buy a BMW 640d for €2,500.

Just had a quick gander there. For the bmw 3 series in petrol and automatic. Maybe I’m blind, but none are down at the 2500 mark. They start at 4500. 2 grand dearer.

2 grand would pay a lot of tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

What gearbox is in that Civic? Reason I ask is that my wife had a 2007 1.8 that had the truly hateful automated manual box that I would advise to avoid like the plague.

Ionised wrote: »
    What gearbox is in that Civic? Reason I ask is that my wife had a 2007 1.8 that had the truly hateful automated manual box that I would advise to avoid like the plague.

Your wife must have had the hatchback had she ? With the ishift transmission. The saloon has a traditional automatic gearbox.

Other than the gearbox, how was it?
    How was MPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Your wife must have had the hatchback had she ? With the ishift transmission. The saloon has a traditional automatic gearbox.

Other than the gearbox, how was it?
    How was MPG

I had one for three years (manual) and I remember it being flawless. The car was pretty light on petrol for a 1.8 petrol, maybe low 40's on a daily round trip from Waterford to Wexford and back (80 miles or thereabouts). I think the suspension was more forgiving than the hatchback too. The boot was a little on the small side though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Ionised wrote: »

I feel like I say this in all these threads but I have a Civic 1.8 i-shift and it's absolutely fine. You just have to know when buying it and driving it that it isn't an automatic gearbox, it's a semi automatic and that's just different.

I find it drives fine, it's given no reliability issues and it returns 45+ mpg across a tank which is touching on diesel territory for that age bracket of car.

The particular car in the OP has been the star of a couple of threads on here before I'm nearly sure, I'll try dig them up. It does have the wrong wheels on it but it looks clean and in all honesty if you got €150-200 more off the price it's be a very sensible purchase.

• Advertisement

I feel like I say this in all these threads but I have a Civic 1.8 i-shift and it's absolutely fine. You just have to know when buying it and driving it that it isn't an automatic gearbox, it's a semi automatic and that's just different.

I find it drives fine, it's given no reliability issues and it returns 45+ mpg across a tank which is touching on diesel territory for that age bracket of car.

The particular car in the OP has been the star of a couple of threads on here before I'm nearly sure, I'll try dig them up. It does have the wrong wheels on it but it looks clean and in all honesty if you got €150-200 more off the price it's be a very sensible purchase.

Thanks. What mpg would this saloon and traditional automatic achieve?

Other people think there needs to be 1000 off the price to make it seem valuable.

What do you mean by the “wrong wheels” ?

They look to be the wheels from the hatchback. Makes no difference in reality.

Yeah, we've actually already done 7 pages on the car from the OP. Still the same ad with the same link.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057865207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

OP,

Saloon is fine reliable car but it has low seating position/roof and "not very practical" boot shape and access. May be problematic with baby.

MPG wise, it won't be more than any 1.4-1.8 petrol car with torque convertor gearbox. Expect 10-20% hit comparing to manual version of same car always but you will recover this from reliability of that type of gearbox in 2500 euro car.

Look at Kia ceed/hyundai i30 1.6 autos as well. They have low seating position as well but roof should be higher I guess. There is also estate version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Honestly I’d prefer to try and keep the tax at the e390 rate. I pay e1809 , but it’s a special car. If going for something more normal, I’d give those F*ckers as little as possible ... obviously get petrol if mileage low

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Honestly I’d prefer to try and keep the tax at the e390 rate. I pay e1809 , but it’s a special car. If going for something more normal, I’d give those F*ckers as little as possible ... obviously get petrol if mileage low

Completely agree. I paid €710 a year for years but that was a 150 bhp Saab with bells and whistles galore.

If OP wants a basic petrol runaround for tiny money then why not buy a saloon 1.4 focus or something similar? Tax would be 340ish.

Again, it's offset against the cost of the car at this price level... Hence he can't get it sold... Hence offer him 1500 max and walk away if he won't take it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The particular car in the OP has been the star of a couple of threads on here before I'm nearly sure, I'll try dig them up.

OP - For these reasons alone i'd be very wary of that car

Motor tax on the old system is nothing short daylight robbery I see it as the government taking my money for no good reason other then to line their own pockets so I avoid it as much as possible..

In a good year I might pay for 6 months but that's about it. The tax on my latest car, despite being an 08 Diesel, is still north €700 and more if paying by the quarter so i won't be paying any more then 6 months on it.

:rolleyes:

You really shouldn't have wasted any time at all particularly when your advice is to avoid diesel cause the tyres wear out quicker due to a heavier engine.

Sweet jesus..

The only person being brain washed is you with your extra tyres..

OP It's a lovely car, I only drive autos and wouldn't go back to manual, drove civics and accords for years and loved them for their reliability..

But given the first 2 posts above, I would avoid..

Rennaws wrote: »
    OP - For these reasons alone i'd be very wary of that car

Motor tax on the old system is nothing short daylight robbery I see it as the government taking my money for no good reason other then to line their own pockets so I avoid it as much as possible..

In a good year I might pay for 6 months but that's about it. The tax on my latest car, despite being an 08 Diesel, is still north €700 and more if paying by the quarter so i won't be paying any more then 6 months on it.

:rolleyes:

You really shouldn't have wasted any time at all particularly when your advice is to avoid diesel cause the tyres wear out quicker due to a heavier engine.

Sweet jesus..

The only person being brain washed is you with your extra tyres..

OP It's a lovely car, I only drive autos and wouldn't go back to manual, drove civics and accords for years and loved them for their reliability..

But given the first 2 posts above, I would avoid..

Thanks. But maybe the reason it’s on sale so long is cause of the high tax and 1.8 and auto and 10 years old All things that Irish motorists are kinda afraid of. :)

This kind of car probably only has a market of 3% of the population. So maybe that’s why —- that’s how I’m trying to convince myself anyways ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Thanks. But maybe the reason it’s on sale so long is cause of the high tax and 1.8 and auto and 10 years old All things that Irish motorists are kinda afraid of. :)

This kind of car probably only has a market of 3% of the population. So maybe that’s why —- that’s how I’m trying to convince myself anyways ;)

You could be right on all counts.. I hope so..

Just tread carefully and follow the head not the heart :D

I find it interesting that the likes of a Ford Focus with a weedy 1.4 75bhp engine gets recommended over the Civic's 140bhp just to save under €4 a week in motor tax. I guess people would rather spend it instead on a packet of fags or an extra pint at the weekend. Also if you read the other thread posted about that particular car, it's not the motor tax that is the main reason it's not selling.

I find it interesting that the likes of a Ford Focus with a weedy 1.4 75bhp engine gets recommended over the Civic's 140bhp just to save under €4 a week in motor tax. I guess people would rather spend it instead on a packet of fags or an extra pint at the weekend. Also if you read the other thread posted about that particular car, it's not the motor tax that is the main reason it's not selling.

This is the thing. I’ve driven a 1.4 focus and hated it. Slow as bloody Christmas. I know I’m trying to cut down on costs, but I like cars a bit and don’t want to be in a totally lifeless car. don’t want a 1.4 focus type. 75 bhp is just really really boring.

• Advertisement

This is the thing. I’ve driven a 1.4 focus and hated it. Slow as bloody Christmas. I know I’m trying to cut down on costs, but I like cars a bit and don’t want to be in a totally lifeless car. don’t want a 1.4 focus type. 75 bhp is just really really boring.
    The 1.4 focus is a joke. I’m not saying e570 is a joke in terms of it being a massive figure. but it’s goes from what e180> e190, e200> e270>e280>e390> e570. I’m assuming they threw darts at a dartboard to come up with their rates

Would a leaf work? It’s the only form of actual cheap motoring...

The 1.4 focus is a joke. I’m not saying e570 is a joke in terms of it being a massive figure. but it’s goes from what e180> e190, e200> e270>e280>e390> e570. I’m assuming they threw darts at a dartboard to come up with their rates

Yeah. Tax system is annoying.

Would a leaf work? It’s the only form of actual cheap motoring...

Looked in to this. But at my price point, won’t work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Vittu

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/18596560

Need something for about 2-3 years. My Mileage is low per year.

Just wanna keep costs down a bit (new baby)......but don’t want to buy a 1 litre fiat panda either.

This car has 163,000 MILES on it, but from what I hear, they are fairly reliable.

Enquire into its service history, can tell a lot right there

It doesn't have any.

It doesn't have any.

How do you know?

If I got the Honda for 2300 and paid 570 tax for 3 years = 4010.

If I had to pay that much more, let’s say 4500 for a newer car with 180 tax, cost for 3 years would be: 5040

Now I know there are way more other things to consider like servicing, fuel, depreciation, insurance etc but even the above alone works out better with the higher tax.

How do you know?

Someone enquired in the other thread I posted.

Someone enquired in the other thread I posted.

I think that was another car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement