Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage savings question

• 21-07-2018 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey guys, 
    So the story goes like this. 
    During the recession i bought a rare car at a discounted price as times were tough with the intention of if times recovered the car being worth double what i paid which thankfully is the case at present.
    I put all my savings into the purchase at the time and since then have been saving still but pretty much wiped it out getting married last year and also furnishing our rental accommodation.
    So my question is if i was to sell the car for X amount of money and lodge it to our savings account and apply for a mortgage in the not too distant future is this recognized as me been able to save or is the one large lodgement frowned upon?  I intend on creating a receipt for sale of the car too as proof where the money came from. 
    Have asked my bank the same question and all they want to do is set up a meeting to apply for a mortgage with their advisors. 

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

so you didn't sell the car yet, but want to apply for the mortgage now, or are you just looking for info now ?

I would think if you'd apply for mortgage after you have your money from the sale of your vehicle in the account, and have decent enough salaries - should be no problem ?
    - I also sold a property overseas before applying for my mortgage here, and so I used some of the money for my deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

didnt sell it just yet no. Will be using the funds as the bulk of our deposit. Just looking for info if this is acceptable to banks as a form of saving for deposit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bank needs to see regular savings to the tune (and a bit more) of your projected monthly mortgage repayment . Not just a lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

When I was applying for a mortgage they asked for 6 months of statements. They didn't ask how any original money got into the account.

So I'd imagine if you had 30K (or whatever) in there now and consistent money going in for the next 6 months they won't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Cheers guys, 
    Rent is pretty much the same as what id envision the mortgage repayments to be anyways so hopefully with this cash lodged and maybe a years savings on top along with rent they might be happy enough. 
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement