Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2018 (Stage 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JenM1984

Hi all,

Might sound like a stupid question at this stage but I have English and Irish in my leaving cert. Do these count as two languages or is another language required?

Also can anyone remember when they said the results for stage 2 will be? I had my test on the 07-09 at 13:45.

Thanks in advance ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Does anyone else thinks it a little strange that the living allowance while in the college is actually less than the dole? Surely we should get at least Dole money... just a thought

You're getting food and board for nothing, the money goes straight in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Oruam wrote: »
    Nope, the results were out on the 3rd

Oops, sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Does anyone else thinks it a little strange that the living allowance while in the college is actually less than the dole? Surely we should get at least Dole money... just a thought

You get food and accommodation. The money is straight into your pocket. Do a bit of budgeting you will be fine...

Sure all I'd need to use the money for is fuel for the car to visit home and bits and bobs but 184 euro a week is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

bottar1 wrote: »

You get food and accommodation. The money is straight into your pocket. Do a bit of budgeting you will be fine...

Sure all I'd need to use the money for is fuel for the car to visit home and bits and bobs but 184 euro a week is grand.

The diesel up and down from Belfast prob cost €184 a week lol I’d best get saving just in case I get through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

I realise that I just think we should at least be getting the same money as people sitting on the dole scratching their holes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

I realise that I just think we should at least be getting the same money as people sitting on the dole scratching their holes ...

It can be a struggle but they probably use it as a way of getting commited people, if people really want it then they will make sacrifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'd imagine it's designed to make sure people aren't using the training stage as a stop gap job. You could get your qualification there and high tail it to Aus with a policing degree. Less likely to do it if you're on 184 a week. It'd weed out anyone not in the job for the love of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paintitwhite

justshane wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I thought I would set up this new thread for all of us going forward to stage 2.

Any questions/advice can be easily found.

Roughly how long does this day take? I have it tomorrow at 8 30am and trying to organise my time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Roughly how long does this day take? I have it tomorrow at 8 30am and trying to organise my time off.

Guts of 3.5 hours ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

I was in yesterday at 830 and out by 12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Was in at same time last week. Was able to get the 12 train at Heuston home.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

You have to go home at weekends. So you incur transportation costs at a minimum or in certain cases, have to stay in airbnbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

If you think about it, you are getting paid to get a level 7 degree. You are getting room and board included, not having to pay fees and guaranteed a job at the end with a pension and health insurance. There aren't many 3rd level students who can say that.

It might do ya well to remember you'll likely be working directly with a lot of people 'on the dole scratching their holes'...they're still people and many didnt even finish school or even contemplate becoming a Garda. If you're into judging people you'd be better off reconsidering the Gardai

Strider wrote: »
    It might do ya well to remember you'll likely be working directly with a lot of people 'on the dole scratching their holes'...they're still people and many didnt even finish school or even contemplate becoming a Garda. If you're into judging people you'd be better off reconsidering the Gardai

Yeah have to agree with this sentiment. Not everyone on the dole is chuffed about being on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

To be fair I don't know many people that get free food, breakfast, lunch and dinner, free accommodation, wifi, warm room, free facilities to shower, wash, dry and Iron your clothes, don't have to pay for books/ Materials, photocopying, free gym membership, pool facility's , TV room, pool room , and get paid €184 a week straight into their pocket -all while at college, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scarftoon

I'm still waiting to be called for stage 2. Anyone else in this boat? Just seems to be a long time since i done stage 1 and getting worried.

Thanks

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    To be fair I don't know many people that get free food, breakfast, lunch and dinner, free accommodation, wifi, warm room, free facilities to shower, wash, dry and Iron your clothes, don't have to pay for books/ Materials, photocopying, free gym membership, pool facility's , TV room, pool room , and get paid €184 a week straight into their pocket -all while at college, do you?

This... It sounds lovely and what you're getting should be appreciated... That €184 a week will go far. You're not even going to be in there as long as other college students who are probably studying 5 days a week and working the weekends, and paying bills... !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

First round of stage 2 was between the 7th and 17th Aug, Results were out on the 31st, I think. Interview dates for the top 137 were between the 17th and 27th Sept roughly.

Hmmm interesting. That means that the second batch of stage 2 results will be out on the 21st. If the last test date was the 7th of this month.. I hope..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Koccy89

The woman in the public services said it would be early October before we see any results :/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Koccy89 wrote: »
    The woman in the public services said it would be early October before we see any results :/

I did the last session of the first lot and we got our results 18 days after that

Was this the second batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Koccy89

job seeker wrote: »
    Was this the second batch?

yeah it was the week of the 3rd to 7th

yeah it was the week of the 3rd to 7th

Oh right maybe I just wasn’t listening when we were told.. cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

This... It sounds lovely and what you're getting should be appreciated... That €184 a week will go far. You're not even going to be in there as long as other college students who are probably studying 5 days a week and working the weekends, and paying bills... !

Ah it's Abit unjust ,that's if you have any sort of bills or commitments at home !like its madness how you could get more on the dole! There will be a lot left struggling for the 6 months because of it

Ah it's Abit unjust ,that's if you have any sort of bills or commitments at home !like its madness how you could get more on the dole! There will be a lot left struggling for the 6 months because of it

They'll be disappointed to hear that it's 8 months then:pac:

You are a student though? They don't owe you anything until you are working. Nothing unjust about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Irishman87545

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    You are a student though? They don't owe you anything until you are working. Nothing unjust about it.

Just saying there's going to be a lot struggling off it .

• Advertisement

Just saying there's going to be a lot struggling off it .

Well that's the joys of education. It cost some people 10'000 to go through third level education so I'd count yourself lucky.

Advertisement