Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2018 (Stage 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

No mine said the same thing, Sorry that's what I thought they meant from it

Hopefully it does

• Registered Users Posts: 31 al1990

Hey,

i got my results for stage two and i failed the report writing, I got 35, I did fine on all the other tests. I genuinely could not near the first part of the report, as the sound was poor, I might appeal it, however i did not say anything on the day, as i didn't want to make a fuss, but im raging i didn't now,

what do people think? any help be great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

al1990 wrote: »
    Hey,

i got my results for stage two and i failed the report writing, I got 35, I did fine on all the other tests. I genuinely could not near the first part of the report, as the sound was poor, I might appeal it, however i did not say anything on the day, as i didn't want to make a fuss, but im raging i didn't now,

what do people think? any help be great thanks :)

Yeah, same story as me. I got 37, I just don’t know personally if I’m going to bother appeal it. Seems like a lot of hassle. I might just wait for a new campaign and learn from my mistakes and try to do better the next time.. this is just my own opinion though.

So you have to be happy with what you decide to do. Regardless whether you appeal it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 al1990

Yeah I’ll ptobably leave it, just raging, I really want the feedback tho, need to know we’re to improve with the report writing, cheers man, I hope they are recruiting next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Does anyone know where i can find the job simulation questions that were given on the 4th of september up in public jobs centre? or is it even possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Does anyone know where i can find the job simulation questions that were given on the 4th of september up in public jobs centre? or is it even possible

Hiiiighly doubt it.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Hiiiighly doubt it.

did anyone else feel that every answer posed in the job simulation was relevant?

did anyone else feel that every answer posed in the job simulation was relevant?

In what sense?

In what sense?

as in for example, 'a boy jumps in to the water, what do you do'

A; call for backup
    b; grab a lifebouy
    c; jump in after him
    d; ring the RNLI

as you can see all the options given are i think possible answers.

Do yo think that it was the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

A; call for backup
    b; grab a lifebouy
    c; jump in after him
    d; ring the RNLI

Yeah but you have to assess the quality of the action in isolation as well. Jumping in is ok, but what if you get into difficulty/put yourself in danger? Is that a perfect option or only average? All the answers were relevant but not all are appropriate, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

That and you can't do them all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Jumping in after him is not okay at all as it only increases the risk for human loss in the situation. That is the worst answer of those 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Jecz wrote: »
    Does it say you will be called at a later stage?

Mine says "Further interviews are expected to continue throughout the year, should your place be reached on the OOM this office will be in touch with you" .

I got 712 so just wondered is there is a different email for people between 350 and say 700 as I guess if they interview in batches of 350 I would be in a 3rd round and by judging their wording they may not go that high.

Jecz I've been placed at 712 as well for my order of merit. Whats going on there ?

A; call for backup
    b; grab a lifebouy
    c; jump in after him
    d; ring the RNLI

Yea I see what mean, the exercise is designed to test your judgement and discussion making skills so it would make sense that each of the answers would be a possibility but with a little more evaluation you might find one answer to be more relevant than the other.

A lot of people would argue that the test is very subjective so I see where you are coming from technically there is no right or wrong answer to some of the questions

Did you open your results then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

kellbag91 wrote: »
    Jecz I've been placed at 712 as well for my order of merit. Whats going on there ?

It's like golf. Multiple people can have the same placing as they score the same. Then say there's 5 of ye at 712, there'll be no 713,714 and so on for 5 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Job456

Anyone have any ideas when there would be the next campaign? Unfortunately failed stage only in the job stimulation so hoping it will be soon so I can give it another go

Yea I see what mean, the exercise is designed to test your judgement and discussion making skills so it would make sense that each of the answers would be a possibility but with a little more evaluation you might find one answer to be more relevant than the other.

A lot of people would argue that the test is very subjective so I see where you are coming from technically there is no right or wrong answer to some of the questions

Did you open your results then?

thanks for that, yeah i opened them yesterday..failed my 2 miserable points on the job simulation...i just feel like given the example i gave that serving Gardaí would act in any way given depending on what they thought was right..for example i personally would get a lifebuoy but if you were a garda who was a strong swimmer you could fancy your chances of getting the boy out (role of a garda is to protect civilians... and a question posed in questionnaire was' are you worried about your own personal safety') i mean wouldn't you be learning this all in templemore anyway??

thanks for that, yeah i opened them yesterday..failed my 2 miserable points on the job simulation...i just feel like given the example i gave that serving Gardaould act in any way given depending on what they thought was right..for example i personally would get a lifebuoy but if you were a garda who was a strong swimmer you could fancy your chances of getting the boy out (role of a garda is to protect civilians... and a question posed in questionnaire was' are you worried about your own personal safety') i mean wouldn't you be learning this all in templemore anyway??
    Again, to repeat, jumping in after someone drowning places more lives at risk, which makes it a bad response.
    One of the questions posed was are you worried about your own safety, and again there is only right answer there, which is yes. In any lifesaving job (firemen, garda, etc.) your number 1 priority is your own life and safety, and saying that you aren't worried about your own safety is certainly not considered a positive - regardless of whether you believe it or not.

Both of those questions were answered fairly comprehensively in the career services course (stage 1, Galway), which is why I am absolutely certain about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Both of those questions were answered fairly comprehensively in the career services course (stage 1, Galway), which is why I am absolutely certain about them.

I was at the stage 1 Galway career services course too. I wonder if we met B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Jecz

kellbag91 wrote: »

Must have scored the same, hopefully we would both go through if they get to our number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Job456 wrote: »
    Anyone have any ideas when there would be the next campaign? Unfortunately failed stage only in the job stimulation so hoping it will be soon so I can give it another go

I’m awaiting for a new campaign as well. I assume it’ll be 8/9 months. If the last few campaigns are anything to go by. However it’s all speculation until it’s officially announced IMO..

I was at the stage 1 Galway career services course too. I wonder if we met B-)

If not there down in Templemore ;):)

Again, to repeat, jumping in after someone drowning places more lives at risk, which makes it a bad response.
    One of the questions posed was are you worried about your own safety, and again there is only right answer there, which is yes. In any lifesaving job (firemen, garda, etc.) your number 1 priority is your own life and safety, and saying that you aren't worried about your own safety is certainly not considered a positive - regardless of whether you believe it or not.

funnily enough the main man in career services was at our one in Dublin. In relation to the water question, one of the questions was;

'You are passing by a river and you see a man in the water who is in difficulty swimming near the river bank. You are a good swimmer. The water is deep and conditions are dangerous. A youth appears on the scene and says that he is a good swimmer and prepares to dive into the water to save the man'

while at the centre the main man actually said to us that 'prepare to dive into the water with the youth to rescue the man immediately' would be a good option, so i think that is still a fairly broad question.

i would also like to add that a former Garda who tragically passed away in 2013 was was killed after he was swept from a bridge while trying to help those affected by flooding putting himself forward to protect people.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

funnily enough the main man in career services was at our one in Dublin. In relation to the water question, one of the questions was;

'You are passing by a river and you see a man in the water who is in difficulty swimming near the river bank. You are a good swimmer. The water is deep and conditions are dangerous. A youth appears on the scene and says that he is a good swimmer and prepares to dive into the water to save the man'

while at the centre the main man actually said to us that 'prepare to dive into the water with the youth to rescue the man immediately' would be a good option, so i think that is still a fairly broad question.

i would also like to add that a former Garda who tragically passed away in 2013 was was killed after he was swept from a bridge while trying to help those affected by flooding putting himself forward to protect people.

Not sure if it counts as I only did the first couple of grades but on the life guard courses I did, entering the water was always the last option.

You'd want to be a VERY strong swimmer to deal with strong currents, floating debris, submerged hazards and a panicked drowning person.

First option is always floatation device, rope, branch, tie clothes together to make a rope etc. Talking to the person to calm them down and give instructions. Well it was when I was training.

As for getting a youth to jump in with you. If they're not as good a swimmer as they think you've got two potential casualties to deal with. But they could raise the alarm and look for rope/implements etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

He either misspoke or was ranking options. That answer isn't the best answer.

Another thing to be wary of in job sims are questions that ask you if you should ignore someone who is hurt in order to answer a call you were already going to or shirk even a little tiny bit of responsibility to your team to continue working toward your own promotion.

In a nutshell:

Always serve the team before yourself (unless your life is at serious risk in which case call for backup)
    Always protect life first (including your own)

Also...don't arrest people just because they look sketchy and are loitering. Don't tell people who claim to be family members anything at the scene of an accident.

Also consider that the powers that be decide the best answers for the job sim by taking the average answers from the best performing gardai. If there is no clear good they discard that question. So the test is pretty reliable.

About your last point - I showed a practice job sim test to a garda who has 10 years experience and he failed it because he insisted on being totally realistic and honest on it. You don't answer tests based on what guards actually do, it is what they should ideally do.

I think talking to guards can be a hinderence in getting through some of the stages. Some people fell down in report writing because they wrote it like an actual guard would write it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Davehego

I am a serving Cop in a city abroad. In regards to water we are told to never jump in, if you do it’s completly on your own head. The organisation said they would never question us for not jumping in.

In regards to the job simulation tests.......I scored really high in everything else however as the writer mentioned above. I barely passed the simulation questions, I answered them honestly and practically as a serving officer. The answers they are looking for are the perfect answer which would not be possible in real life scenario’s.

In another topic, does anyone know how far up the OOM people have been called for interviews? Just wondering so I can get a time frame in my head for my own interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Davehego wrote: »
    I am a serving Cop in a city abroad. In regards to water we are told to never jump in, if you do it’s completly on your own head. The organisation said they would never question us for not jumping in.

In regards to the job simulation tests.......I scored really high in everything else however as the writer mentioned above. I barely passed the simulation questions, I answered them honestly and practically as a serving officer. The answers they are looking for are the perfect answer which would not be possible in real life scenario’s.

In another topic, does anyone know how far up the OOM people have been called for interviews? Just wondering so I can get a time frame in my head for my own interview.

Still believe that it's at 350 oom

I got my offer today for interview, just so you know so it’s into the low 400’s now

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Davehego wrote: »
    I got my offer today for interview, just so you know so it’s into the low 40’s now

Low 40’s? I thought they had already invited the first 350 for interview? :/

• Advertisement

User2206 wrote: »
    Low 40’s? I thought they had already invited the first 350 for interview? :/
    Typo it’s been edited. Low 400’s I meant, sorry

Advertisement