Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2018 (Stage 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

1777 and just got an invite for stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

Same!

Was it not said before that they would work their way through the list. Didn't think I'd get a date quite this soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

So did I. I’m oom low 2000.

I'm more than likely going to pull out now and concentrate on whenever the next drive might be. Even if I got through this stage id be nowhere near passing the medical on the physical fitness grounds.

I kind of gave up hope after the OOM score so I didn't start preparing. It's my dream job so head down now for the next one. Best of luck everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

I'm more than likely going to pull out now and concentrate on whenever the next drive might be. Even if I got through this stage id be nowhere near passing the medical on the physical fitness grounds.

I kind of gave up hope after the OOM score so I didn't start preparing. It's my dream job so head down now for the next one. Best of luck everyone

Don't pull out. The experience will stand to you for next time around plus it could be months and months and months before you get a medical. You have stage 2 and an interview to go yet.

Could possibly even talk to PAS about deferring your interview if you made it that far.

When you say passing the medical on physical fitness grounds do you mean weight or injury or illness? There are medical deferrals for various reasons too.

If it really is your dream job take the experience while it's going. Better to get the experience than to fork out for a course. Treat it like a practice run if you have to but I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

I waited 11 months from the date I applied to my fitness date. A lot can be achieved in 11 months. You wouldn't be showing great determination to drop out now if it was your dream job. Hope you don't mind me saying.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Don't pull out. The experience will stand to you for next time around plus it could be months and months and months before you get a medical. You have stage 2 and an interview to go yet.

Could possibly even talk to PAS about deferring your interview if you made it that far.

When you say passing the medical on physical fitness grounds do you mean weight or injury or illness? There are medical deferrals for various reasons too.

If it really is your dream job take the experience while it's going. Better to get the experience than to fork out for a course. Treat it like a practice run if you have to but I'd say go for it.

Edited to say you also have to include on your Form B what campaigns you entered previously and what stage you got to. I can imagine dropping out being a topic that might come up at your sergeant/super interview. Resilience has also been a common interview competency. Just go for it. You literally have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Cheers for the words. Weight grounds and if the medical / fitness test was in say 3 months time I wouldn't be ready. If it was a good while away then no doubt head down I could probably do it. Thanks for your words going to book it now. Probably just the nerves talking. Its all I ever wanted to do

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    I waited 11 months from the date I applied to my fitness date. A lot can be achieved in 11 months. You wouldn't be showing great determination to drop out now if it was your dream job. Hope you don't mind me saying.

Well entitled to your view. I wouldn't have thought 11 months. 11 months as you said anything is possible. I was thinking it would be within the next 2 or 3 months maybe. It's all I've wanted to do for years. Going to book it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciara2018

Anyone know how long the test takes for stage 2? Going on holidays on the 3rd of September have my test booked at half 8 flying at half 2 that same day

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Ciara2018 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the test takes for stage 2? Going on holidays on the 3rd of September have my test booked at half 8 flying at half 2 that same day

About 3 and a half hours

Cheers for the words. Weight grounds and if the medical / fitness test was in say 3 months time I wouldn't be ready. If it was a good while away then no doubt head down I could probably do it. Thanks for your words going to book it now. Probably just the nerves talking. Its all I ever wanted to do

Good man! You can do it. Book towards the end of the sessions if you can. But don't starve yourself on the 3 days before your test!

All you have to do between now and your medical is get your BMI below 35. Then you have another three months to get it down to 30 or below.

If it's something you struggle with, get help. That can be weight watchers/slimmers world, a personal trainer, your GP, or if money is tight the Operation Transformation Leader exercise and meal plans. It helps too if the people you're living with get involved as well or if you have a diet/workout buddy. Or if you are disciplined you can go solo.
    Join a gym, even for six weeks/three months, and get one of the instructors to draw you up a workout plan. Strength & conditioning really helps burn calories as well as cardio. And it may sound obvious but drink more water. At least 2.5 litres a day. It helps.

It can seem really daunting in the beginning but once you actually make a start and you see the pounds falling off it becomes addictive!

There are still people from June 17 waiting on medicals so I wouldn't be worrying too much about that. Just take it one day and one week at a time. Make healthy changes. The first two weeks are the hardest and it gets easier after that. I promise.

Good man! You can do it. Book towards the end of the sessions if you can. But don't starve yourself on the 3 days before your test!

All you have to do between now and your medical is get your BMI below 35. Then you have another three months to get it down to 30 or below.

If it's something you struggle with, get help. That can be weight watchers/slimmers world, a personal trainer, your GP, or if money is tight the Operation Transformation Leader exercise and meal plans. It helps too if the people you're living with get involved as well or if you have a diet/workout buddy. Or if you are disciplined you can go solo.
    Join a gym, even for six weeks/three months, and get one of the instructors to draw you up a workout plan. Strength & conditioning really helps burn calories as well as cardio. And it may sound obvious but drink more water. At least 2.5 litres a day. It helps.

It can seem really daunting in the beginning but once you actually make a start and you see the pounds falling off it becomes addictive!

There are still people from June 17 waiting on medicals so I wouldn't be worrying too much about that. Just take it one day and one week at a time. Make healthy changes. The first two weeks are the hardest and it gets easier after that. I promise.

Great words thanks. Yeah I'll be joining the gym beside work and seeing if I can get one of their personal trainers for even a session a week. Suppose I have to manage to get through stage 2 first.

Well entitled to your view. I wouldn't have thought 11 months. 11 months as you said anything is possible. I was thinking it would be within the next 2 or 3 months maybe. It's all I've wanted to do for years. Going to book it now

I applied June 17 and didn't get my physical date until May 18 and my OOM isn't that bad. Don't give up now, put your head down and train train train! You will get it no bother. And worst case scenario your BMI is too high for medical they will defer it and give you 3 months to get it down further.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    I applied June 17 and didn't get my physical date until May 18 and my OOM isn't that bad. Don't give up now, put your head down and train train train! You will get it no bother. And worst case scenario your BMI is too high for medical they will defer it and give you 3 months to get it down further.

Great thanks. Didn't know about the 3 months part. Assumed it like be a straight fail

Great thanks. Didn't know about the 3 months part. Assumed it like be a straight fail

If it's over 35 it's a straight fail. 30 - 35 you get 3 months to bring it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 P1nkr0ses

This post has been deleted.

P1nkr0ses wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the BMI required to pass? I've read conflicting figures.

Below 30. A few lads have talked about the finer details over in the Stage 4 thread I think where if it's obviously muscle and your body fat percentage is low you will pass. Can't remember the details though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

vardy98 wrote: »
    I did stage 2 last week and they said interviews for low OOM will be September

Did they say how low of a oom will be called first? Like top 200 or somthing?[/QUOTE]

Don't know if its anything to go on but I've been looking over my old messages from Public Jobs and when I was in the 2016 campaign I was in OOM 94 going into interview and the email says they are calling the first 224 for interview so I'd expect roughly the same to be called this time around. Best of luck with it

• Advertisement

Did they say how low of a oom will be called first? Like top 200 or somthing?

Don't know if its anything to go on but I've been looking over my old messages from Public Jobs and when I was in the 2016 campaign I was in OOM 94 going into interview and the email says they are calling the first 224 for interview so I'd expect roughly the same to be called this time around. Best of luck with it[/QUOTE]

1777 here so assume I could be waiting a good while which is my case isn't a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jimmy.james

Hi there i am just wondering is a level d3 in irish and french both at ordinary enough to pass for the requirements? I failed honours English paper so unsure of what i need.... i also have a fetac level 5 qualification ...please help if possible

Hi there i am just wondering is a level d3 in irish and french both at ordinary enough to pass for the requirements? I failed honours English paper so unsure of what i need.... i also have a fetac level 5 qualification ...please help if possible

(B)

Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or
    English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades

So yes. A pass in 2 languages will be fine. As long as one is English OR Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 peaches18

Has anyone who did there stage 2 test in the last few weeks heard back as to whether they are verified and will go through to stage 3?

I did mine this week and just wondering how long it is to results.

I’m apprehensive to prepare for stage 3 as I did my stage 1 verbal and I did well and finished it all where as this week in stage two I was anxious and let time get the better of me and only answered 27 out of 30. I still could have made my score but now I’m scared in case they will just rule me out :(

I got comfortable then and flew through the other steps so hopefully that will stand to me but I don’t know how it works and how cut throat it is, anyone have any advice?

Thank you

peaches18 wrote: »
    Has anyone who did there stage 2 test in the last few weeks heard back as to whether they are verified and will go through to stage 3?

I did mine this week and just wondering how long it is to results.

I’m apprehensive to prepare for stage 3 as I did my stage 1 verbal and I did well and finished it all where as this week in stage two I was anxious and let time get the better of me and only answered 27 out of 30. I still could have made my score but now I’m scared in case they will just rule me out :(

I got comfortable then and flew through the other steps so hopefully that will stand to me but I don’t know how it works and how cut throat it is, anyone have any advice?

Thank you

I think they allow a 10-15% variation. I don't know that for a fact it's just something I read on an SHL page about how the scoring works.

I'd say you are totally fine. And on the off chance you got a not verified, it is something you could appeal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

I was sat at the back for the report writing and I really could not hear it. The speaker only being at the front is very unfair. I knew that if I wanted to say anything it had to be there and then, I hate complaining though!
    I feel I did really well on everything else and I was absolutely gutted after that. I know there is next year but it means so much and I worked so hard for it and literally so much stress and bad news in my family right now. I really need the boost of moral for me and everyone and the security that comes with the job.
    I'm sure I'm not the only person with other stressful things going on or that this means a lot to. If I don't get it this year though I will keep applying until they freeze recruitment again or I hit 35. Whichever happens first. I know I would be a brilliant Garda I really give a damn about people and love helping people I just need to get to interview to show them that. So frustrating as so close but could be so far

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thos23

I think they may have said it in the centre but I missed it but just wondering when results may be out for people who have now completed Stage 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

thos23 wrote: »
    I think they may have said it in the centre but I missed it but just wondering when results may be out for people who have now completed Stage 2?

Mid-September if I am not mistaken. 3-4 week wait

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Hi all, I got a message confirming my place for stage 2. I am wondering. How long after taking notes do you get to write up the actual report??? The career service online material states 30 minutes. But I thought that was a bit long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

job seeker wrote: »
    Hi all, I got a message confirming my place for stage 2. I am wondering. How long after taking notes do you get to write up the actual report??? The career service online material states 30 minutes. But I thought that was a bit long?

Only a minute or two, you jump straight into it after taking the notes.

edit: Sorry, I misread the question, thought you asked what time you had between notes and starting report :pac:

Advertisement