Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty carpet in new rental property

Options
  • 22-07-2018 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Is it the landlords responsibility to clean a carpet for a new tenant?

The rental agreement is in place but the tenant hasn't moved in yet and they didn't initially notice the carpet was dirty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Carnmore wrote: »

The rental agreement is in place but the tenant hasn't moved in yet and they didn't initially notice the carpet was dirty.

if everything is agreed, i dont think there is any obligation of the LL to clean it, the agreement would have been signed as is.

i would suggest take photos, point out to the LL the issues and ask. carpets can be cleaned now perfectly for about 80-100euro by professional companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Take photos and point it out as early as possible to the landlord. Have an email trail. Even if it doesnt result in getting it cleaned now, guaranteed you'll be told to have it professionally cleaned to get your bond back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The trouble tenant has arisen ! ! Did you not look at the place before hand ? Word of advise.. suck it up and move on. The viewing is there for a reason if you werent happened you should have said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

The trouble tenant has arisen ! ! Did you not look at the place before hand ? Word of advise.. suck it up and move on. The viewing is there for a reason if you werent happened you should have said it.

It’s not for me but the tenant didn’t initially notice as it’s a dark carpet and not obvious

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

A lot of times when you do a viewing the current tennants and their stuff are still there. Its only when they move out and their stuff is gone you will properly see how clean a place is.

As suggested above take photos and ask for them to be cleaned.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Is the lease signed yet? If not, take the deposit back and go elsewhere!

Axwell wrote: »

A lot of times when you do a viewing the current tennants and their stuff are still there. Its only when they move out and their stuff is gone you will properly see how clean a place is.

As suggested above take photos and ask for them to be cleaned.

Yea. And then its we dont like the colour of the sitting room. Then the carpets after cleaning arent clean enought we want them changed. Then its the kitchen doors dont like them want the kitchen changed. Ive been there. Starts as what seems to be a simple request become and avalanche of requests. Hopefully the landlord sees through this and says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

4ensic15 wrote: »

How does one take back a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Rugdoctor machine rental and shampoo costs max €50.

I'd expect any tenant who signs a lease , moves in and complains about the carpets to get their no reason required notice pretty quickly.

A broken shower or washing machine that couldn't be reasonably checked during viewing would be understandable but a carpet is taking the ....

Pkiernan wrote: »
    4ensic15 wrote: »

How does one take back a deposit?

One gets it returned from the landlord. And one can then take a hike with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

From your opening post it comes across that you are the landlord.
    It depends on how you want to be viewed as a landlord, do you want to hand over the place fully cleaned and fresh for your new tenant.
    Or,
    Are you the sort that leaves it as the last occupiers left it and hope your new tenants either don't notice the dirt or don't cause a fuss as you can't be bothered cleaning it.
    Your choice.

If you are the new tenants, either ensure it is properly cleaned or get it in writing that it was like that when you arrived, either that or go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Yea. And then its we dont like the colour of the sitting room. Then the carpets after cleaning arent clean enought we want them changed. Then its the kitchen doors dont like them want the kitchen changed. Ive been there. Starts as what seems to be a simple request become and avalanche of requests. Hopefully the landlord sees through this and says no.

Eh , the landlord should make sure the walls and carpets are clean, that all appliances are working and furniture isnt from the 1950s before they even think of renting the house out especially with the extortionate rent they are charging nowadays. Some absolute chancers out there and should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Cant wait for the post in 2 weeks when the bathroom light bulb needs replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Carnmore wrote:

It's definitely not the tenants responsibility in a place they haven't even moved into.
    Carnmore wrote:

Is the carpet dirty?

If so it's not good practice to rent out a dirty property. You should have deducted the cost of cleaning from the last tenant deposit.

If the carpet isn't dirty tell them no

Eh , the landlord should make sure the walls and carpets are clean, that all appliances are working and furniture isnt from the 1950s before they even think of renting the house out especially with the extortionate rent they are charging nowadays. Some absolute chancers out there and should be ashamed of themselves.

Tenants viewed nothing has changed now making demands.

I remember viewing a house. We were stuck badly due to the housing shortage. It was a nice house in an affluent enough area but needed painting and carpets cleaned due to previous tenants. Requested to estate agents and landlord ( as we would be dealing with him) to paint etc before we moved in. Yeah yeah no problem. Gave deposit n first months rent (wasnt cheap). About a week later went to get keys off agent and move in. Were the carpets cleaned or house painted? Was it fxxk. Took ages to sort out and all, yet they were happy to take my money as they knew i was stuck.

It's my experience that tenants that want a clean home tend to keep it clean & there's less wear & tear on furnishings. I've been asked to remove my shoes before in rented property because the tenant had taken pride in their home.

I've also found that tenants who don't care about the state of the property don't care about the furnishings.

There are exceptions to every rule but I'd prefer to OPs tenant to someone that doesn't care about the place.

If it's dirty clean it OP & if it's not then don't. It's unfair to ask someone that hasn't even moved in to clean someone else's mess.

I remember viewing a house. We were stuck badly due to the housing shortage. It was a nice house in an affluent enough area but needed painting and carpets cleaned due to previous tenants. Requested to estate agents and landlord ( as we would be dealing with him) to paint etc before we moved in. Yeah yeah no problem. Gave deposit n first months rent (wasnt cheap). About a week later went to get keys off agent and move in. Were the carpets cleaned or house painted? Was it fxxk. Took ages to sort out and all, yet they were happy to take my money as they knew i was stuck.

The case here is the tenants were hapoy. Signed contract and now only starting to complain. I know there can be some issues at the start but this issue should have been discussed prior to contract signature. My exterience this will not be the end of it any good landlord should sniff these tenants out at this stage

Sleeper12 wrote: »

It's my experience that tenants that want a clean home tend to keep it clean & there's less wear & tear on furnishings. I've been asked to remove my shoes before in rented property because the tenant had taken pride in their home.

I've also found that tenants who don't care about the state of the property don't care about the furnishings.

There are exceptions to every rule but I'd prefer to OPs tenant to someone that doesn't care about the place.

If it's dirty clean it OP & if it's not then don't. It's unfair to ask someone that hasn't even moved in to clean someone else's mess.[/quote

Yes and no. Unfortunately most people would clean up and get on with it. We have tenants who complain like this but when it comes to their repsonibilities are deaf. The contract is signed put up or dont move in

The case here is the tenants were hapoy. Signed contract and now only starting to complain. I know there can be some issues at the start but this issue should have been discussed prior to contract signature. My exterience this will not be the end of it any good landlord should sniff these tenants out at this stage

You are talking the legality of it. That's cut & dry. However the moral thing /the right thing to do is for the landlord to clean the carpet, assuming that they do actually need cleaning.

A "good" landlord would have cleaned the carpets before viewing, again assuming that the carpets actually need cleaning. A "good" landlord will ask himself /herself "would I be happy for my son /daughter, wife or mother to live in this property as is?" If the answer is yes then it's most likely a good clean property. If the answer is no then you need to make some changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

In the current market you should feel priveleged to pay a premium for your substandard property. Nobody cares about a tenants rights anyway. The R.T.B.I. couldn’t give a fiddler’s about tenants.

Like i discussed it with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

KevinCavan wrote: »
    ........... The R.T.B.I. couldn’t give a fiddler’s about tenants.

Are you serious? Surely you don't really believe this. The legislation is mostly pro tenant and the RTB's interpretation of it is pure anti LL. Any excuse to come down on the LL they will take it.

KevinCavan wrote: »
    In the current market you should feel priveleged to pay a premium for your substandard property. Nobody cares about a tenants rights anyway. The R.T.B.I. couldn’t give a fiddler’s about tenants.

You are in dreamland. All the rules are totally biased and in favour of tenants and the RTB are completely tenant biased. LLs are badly in need of regaining some rights.

You are talking the legality of it. That's cut & dry. However the moral thing /the right thing to do is for the landlord to clean the carpet, assuming that they do actually need cleaning.

A "good" landlord would have cleaned the carpets before viewing, again assuming that the carpets actually need cleaning. A "good" landlord will ask himself /herself "would I be happy for my son /daughter, wife or mother to live in this property as is?" If the answer is yes then it's most likely a good clean property. If the answer is no then you need to make some changes

Look the landlords of ireland have enought heartache with been legally screwed without been thrown the moral argument also. It also works the other towards the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I have to say all the landlords that I deal with go to great lengths to clean out their apartments before new tenants move in. They would be embarrassed if a carpet had been left filthy dirty and gone unnoticed by either side on handover day, well it just wouldn't happen in the first place.
    Most landlords give the service in line with current rental charges, others don't give a sh!te and trying to let dirty properties doesn't phase them and they should be ashamed of themselves.

K.Flyer wrote:
    I have to say all the landlords that I deal with go to great lengths to clean out their apartments before new tenants move in. They would be embarrassed if a carpet had been left filthy dirty and gone unnoticed by either side on handover day, well it just wouldn't happen in the first place. Most landlords give the service in line with current rental charges, others don't give a sh!te and trying to let dirty properties doesn't phase them and they should be ashamed of themselves.

This is my experience too.

OP still hasn't confirmed if the carpet is actually dirty but if it is it should be cleaned.

A taxi that you only spend 20 minutes in to get from A to B has to be neat and clean by law. They even have random inspections & fines for the driver if they are dirty. Yet there is no law stopping a landlord taking a mattress out of a skip and putting it in rented accommodation.

I'll never understand how we have minimum standards for taxis and none for a property you will be living in for a year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

no sure where you live but the way properties are going now maybe you should be glad to get somewhere, my daughter just started renting a house the landlord gave her 2 buckets of paint we had to buy the rest [another 4 buckets] she was just so happy to get somewhere she was'nt willing to argue over it, shop around you'll get a nice piece to replace it or get it cleaned may be another option, don't loose your new home over this small matter.

K.Flyer wrote:
    I have to say all the landlords that I deal with go to great lengths to clean out their apartments before new tenants move in. They would be embarrassed if a carpet had been left filthy dirty and gone unnoticed by either side on handover day, well it just wouldn't happen in the first place. Most landlords give the service in line with current rental charges, others don't give a sh!te and trying to let dirty properties doesn't phase them and they should be ashamed of themselves.

This is my experience too.

OP still hasn't confirmed if the carpet is actually dirty but if it is it should be cleaned.

A taxi that you only spend 20 minutes in to get from A to B has to be neat and clean by law. They even have random inspections & fines for the driver if they are dirty. Yet there is no law stopping a landlord taking a mattress out of a skip and putting it in rented accommodation.

I'll never understand how we have minimum standards for taxis and none for a property you will be living in for a year or more.

I cant understand how some tenants can walk away owning thousands in rent and thousands more in damage and theres no law against that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Cant wait for the post in 2 weeks when the bathroom light bulb needs replacing

Were you sitting there for 3 hours after your first post in the thread thinking of something funny to say?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement