Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty carpet in new rental property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

In my opinion that is absolutely brilliant, and I am speaking of experience. Have been renting houses in Ireland for 7 years, and every single time there were issues with the LL. Every single time they did not want to return the deposit with some made up excuse. This happened in 4 of the 6 houses I rented. Issues I encountered:
    • Landlord did not clean house before moving in, despite promises (in 4 of the 6 houses)
    • appliances not working ( in 3 of the 6 houses)
    • heating not working (left in cold for 3 weeks before it was finally fixed)
    • Landlord not sticking to agreement in contract of maintaining the laws. so the grass ended up thigh-high. And I refused to buy a lawnmower myself
    • Landlord giving notice mid term cause they were selling their house (even when we got confirmation in writing that we could live there for at least 2 years

I have found the PRTB very helpful and have won all of the cases I had to file against the LL that thought they could withhold the deposit (one even for charges to fix the landscaped garden that HE was supposed to maintain!!). I have taken detailed pictures of all houses before we moved in, and during the term of the tenancy, so all was recorded. Only thing it cost me was a lot of time and effort. In my opinion Irish LL are the worst LL in Europe, ripping off tenants, as they know tenants are limited in choice of house, and will put up with all their cr*p.

After the last horrific experience we bought a house. Never renting in Ireland again.

So your still only viewing this from a microscopic lense of about 6 places. Look at the bigger picture and see what are the majority of complaints going to RTB and also take a look at the experience from the other end as well. There is a reason we are seeing a drop in overall tenanacies and private ll. The trees are printing as much green money as you would think

One item I do think should be mandatory is an inventory report prior to moving in. At least that way if there is any damage in said property it can be documented and signed by both parties so it covers both ll and tenants in case of a dispute later on. I’m also not recommending the RTB do this. I think it can be done by both the ea/ll and the tenant where both can inspect it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In my opinion that is absolutely brilliant, and I am speaking of experience. Have been renting houses in Ireland for 7 years, and every single time there were issues with the LL. Every single time they did not want to return the deposit with some made up excuse. This happened in 4 of the 6 houses I rented. Issues I encountered:
    • Landlord did not clean house before moving in, despite promises (in 4 of the 6 houses)
    • Landlord not sticking to agreement in contract of maintaining the laws. so the grass ended up thigh-high. And I refused to buy a lawnmower myself
    • Landlord giving notice mid term cause they were selling their house (even when we got confirmation in writing that we could live there for at least 2 years

I have found the PRTB very helpful and have won all of the cases I had to file against the LL that thought they could withhold the deposit (one even for charges to fix the landscaped garden that HE was supposed to maintain!!). I have taken detailed pictures of all houses before we moved in, and during the term of the tenancy, so all was recorded. Only thing it cost me was a lot of time and effort. In my opinion Irish LL are the worst LL in Europe, ripping off tenants, as they know tenants are limited in choice of house, and will put up with all their cr*p.

After the last horrific experience we bought a house. Never renting in Ireland again.

I know. Rented privately 15 years here. A nightmare. And the constant uncertainty. Thankful now to be in a council property noone wants because of the isolation and feeling safe at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Fol20 wrote: »
    So your still only viewing this from a microscopic lense of about 6 places.
    Microscopic? ALL the 6 places I rented. If it would have happened in only 1 of all those 6 you would have a point.
    One item I do think should be mandatory is an inventory report prior to moving in. At least that way if there is any damage in said property it can be documented and signed by both parties so it covers both ll and tenants in case of a dispute later on. I’m also not recommending the RTB do this. I think it can be done by both the ea/ll and the tenant where both can inspect it together.
    Another item I think should be mandatory is not only the vetting of the tenants, who nearly have to put their entire life on the table before they are 'allowed' to rent a (private) property, but also the vetting of the landlords, please let there be a black list of LL from hell!!! There are many, MANY!

Graces7 wrote: »
    I know. Rented privately 15 years here. A nightmare. And the constant uncertainty. Thankful now to be in a council property noone wants because of the isolation and feeling safe at last.
    The uncertainty is the worst, indeed!! I am now at so much peace, not having to worry if a LL changes his mind and just puts you out of, what has become, your home!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

the house my daughter is renting is in bits she does her best with it she tries to keep the damp and mould at bay.the place constantly smells of damp no matter what she does.the carpet was pure filthy when she moved in also there was no underlay so the carpet was on concerete .the gas hardly works and gave of carbon monoxide last year took weeks for them to sort it out.the boiler is at least 26 years old.they told her 3 years ago that they would replace it.every window in the house is in bits draughts coming in from them and the door.it costs her a fortune to buy coal in the winter.they have been several times that the gas dose not work proper they dont want to know.another thing the landlord does is call up and walk in unannounced .even if your not there he lets himself im pretty sure that is ilegal.he got someone to paint over the damp 2 years ago and told the fella to let himself in.my daughter got the fright of her life when she seen him opening the door..these people are happy taking the money but dont want to do repairs

• Advertisement

ann0 wrote: »
    the house my daughter is renting is in bits she does her best with it she tries to keep the damp and mould at bay.the place constantly smells of damp no matter what she does.the carpet was pure filthy when she moved in also there was no underlay so the carpet was on concerete .the gas hardly works and gave of carbon monoxide last year took weeks for them to sort it out.the boiler is at least 26 years old.they told her 3 years ago that they would replace it.every window in the house is in bits draughts coming in from them and the door.it costs her a fortune to buy coal in the winter.they have been several times that the gas dose not work proper they dont want to know.another thing the landlord does is call up and walk in unannounced .even if your not there he lets himself im pretty sure that is ilegal.he got someone to paint over the damp 2 years ago and told the fella to let himself in.my daughter got the fright of her life when she seen him opening the door..these people are happy taking the money but dont want to do repairs
    Only thing I can recommend is for your daughter to file charges against the landlord, as he is breaking the law. Trespassing being one of them, as he has no business in that house unannounced! That house sounds like a real health hazard, so have health and safety inspect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fol20 wrote:
    he Didn’t say it’s ok to be dirty, your assuming and putting your own words into the mix to spin it. He just pointed at a blaring example that isn’t fair to landlords

Eh he made it very clear in all his posts that lease is signed and he wouldn't care how dirty it is he would not get it cleaned. I argued that myself and most reasonable landlords would not get it cleaned but it wouldn't have been dirty when new tenants moved in. My standards are higher than that & I expect high standards from my tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Place should be fully cleaned inbetween tenancies and anything repaired or replaced that needs to be. It is the responsibility of the LL to have this done.

Only thing I can recommend is for your daughter to file charges against the landlord, as he is breaking the law. Trespassing being one of them, as he has no business in that house unannounced! That house sounds like a real health hazard, so have health and safety inspect it?

imtrying to get her to report the landlord she is terrified that if she does she will loose the house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is the carpet actually dirty?????.

If you are going to charge 1500 a month then not cleaning the carpet properly prior the tenant moving in is taking the urine imo.

If it was me - and the carpet was GENUINELY dirty I'd be full of apologies and making it right straight away.

If you want 1500 a month - fair play to you - but a certain standard should be expected by a normal person moving in.

When you rent or lease a car you expect it to arrive to you in clean condition.

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »

If you are going to charge 1500 a month then not cleaning the carpet properly prior the tenant moving in is taking the urine imo.

If it was me - and the carpet was GENUINELY dirty I'd be full of apologies and making it right straight away.

If you want 1500 a month - fair play to you - but a certain standard should be expected by a normal person moving in.

you should see the carpet and the laminate floor in my daughters house i wouldent line a dogs kennel with the carpet theresmould underneath it

Old diesel wrote:

We st don't know the answer to this.

imgoing to replace the carpet in her room and she can take it out of the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Well I think it would be nice if the o.p. returned to the thread after asking the question to clarify if they are the landlord or the tenant, or to at least acknowledge the replies.

imgoing to replace the carpet in her room and she can take it out of the rent

I am afraid that is not good either, as the LL should give permission for her to deduct from the rent, otherwise he can certainly move her out for not paying the rent in full. Only way is the legal way, (P)RTB and health and safety. If you play it officially, there is not so much chance the LL can get her out before the end of the lease, and then some, as he is obliged to give notice depending on the number of years she lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The uncertainty is the worst, indeed!! I am now at so much peace, not having to worry if a LL changes his mind and just puts you out of, what has become, your home!

The memories.. Seeing the landlord coming down the drive with a letter in his hand and knowing what was in it. Regardless of being in a fixed term .. shudders..Here peace as there is no way to be evicted; I never ever was behind with rent etc..never in debt.

I am afraid that is not good either, as the LL should give permission for her to deduct from the rent, otherwise he can certainly move her out for not paying the rent in full. Only way is the legal way, (P)RTB and health and safety. If you play it officially, there is not so much chance the LL can get her out before the end of the lease, and then some, as he is obliged to give notice depending on the number of years she lived there.
    your right im just gonna leave it with her and do it the legal way funny thing is they are nice people.but nice or not they have broke the law.i told my daughter to instal a little camera above the sitting room door so if the landlord walks in unannounced she has it recorded.

you should see the carpet and the laminate floor in my daughters house i wouldent line a dogs kennel with the carpet theresmould underneath it

Apologies - I meant the OPs carpet.

i know.:)

That is the whole point of viewing a place, you inspect it, and if your not happy about anything, you ask if it can be addressed before they move in. Then if they say yes, it can be done, agree to move in, if they say, well there’s plenty more fish in the area. Iv declined some requests and accepted others but if you move in and your not happy with something that would have clearly been visible on viewing the place, that’s on you then.

• Advertisement

Microscopic? ALL the 6 places I rented. If it would have happened in only 1 of all those 6 you would have a point.

Another item I think should be mandatory is not only the vetting of the tenants, who nearly have to put their entire life on the table before they are 'allowed' to rent a (private) property, but also the vetting of the landlords, please let there be a black list of LL from hell!!! There are many, MANY!

Yes that actually is a small amount of samples. It sounds like you have been very unlucky however in the bigger picture of things when there are at least 500k rentals, that’s very small

your right im just gonna leave it with her and do it the legal way funny thing is they are nice people.but nice or not they have broke the law.i told my daughter to instal a little camera above the sitting room door so if the landlord walks in unannounced she has it recorded.

If the house is that bad, why does she not move on. Security and privacy are very important but I could never live in a damp environment, your health is the most important thing of all and I don’t get why she as lived there for 3 years

Fol20 wrote:
    That is the whole point of viewing a place, you inspect it, and if your not happy about anything, you ask if it can be addressed before they move in. Then if they say yes, it can be done, agree to move in, if they say, well there’s plenty more fish in the area. Iv declined some requests and accepted others but if you move in and your not happy with something that would have clearly been visible on viewing the place, that’s on you then.

Many landlords show the property with the last tenants still in the property. This works in the landlords favour as the property won't be empty for weeks on end. It's a major disadvantage for people viewing the property as they can't see everything because of someone else's clutter.

Many people, I'll even go as far as most people, viewing a property with the last tenants still in the property would assume that the property would be cleaned either by the existing tenant or the landlord before the new tenant moved in.

If my neighbour asked for a loan of any garden tools I'd make sure I gave them to him clean. He in turn wouldn't give them back covered in muck. It's common courtesy.

I would never hand over a dirty property. It wouldn't matter if the lease was signed or not or if they viewed it dirty. It's a reflection on me and how I carry out business. It would be clean and I expect it back clean. If I get it back dirty I stop the cost of a cleaner from their deposit so it costs me nothing to rent it out clean.

Fol20 wrote: »

Tenant hasn't moved in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

So you believe that it's brilliant that legislation is totally anti landlord and that any excuse the RTB comes down on the side of the tenant?

I could trump everyone of your listed tales with stories like tenants turning a property into a brothel, another into a crack house that required shovels and skips (in that one I wasn't allowed claim a skip as it was "normal cleaning at the end of a tenancy" according to the adjudicator and I'm still waiting on the €3k+ for damages and arrears from that tenant).

I'm glad you were able to use the RTB to sort out your little problems with the bad LL's 4 times, but to say that it is brilliant that the law is totally one sided is quite pathetic.

It is one of the major contributors to the housing crisis and current high rents, the fact that people (yes LL's are people) could not put up with the imbalance in the legislation is the reason why many left the market.

When the 2004 legislation came into being, I welcomed it as a way of being able to reasonably sort out issues between LL's and Tenants. The monster that it has become has ruined the rental market. I personally have divested myself of rental property that accommodated scores of people. When I get a chance I will be ridding myself of the last two properties, another 8 people looking for a home, solely because of the amendments to the act.

There is nothing brilliant about it.

There is nothing brilliant about it.

How many RTB cases have you won?

I have won more than I lost so I personally think that the RTB is a brilliant idea

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How many RTB cases have you won?

I have won more than I lost so I personally think that the RTB is a brilliant idea

I've lost none.

The fact that if a tenant and you lost some speaks volumes. If a LL, how much recompense have you actually received?

The fact that if a tenant and you lost some speaks volumes. If a LL, how much recompense have you actually received?

If a tenant lost it speaks volumes? I don't understand that at all. Speaks volumes about what? The tenant? RTB?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If a tenant lost it speaks volumes? I don't understand that at all. Speaks volumes about what? The tenant? RTB?

You've quoted my original post. Assuming you read it and don't understand (you don't have to agree) the point I made, then there is not much I can do. If you lost a RTB adjudication in the last few years as a tenant, the only way I could further explain the point I made would be personally insult you. I have no need or wish to do that.

If you lost as a LL, then how about answering my question? How far did it get you, how much money have you actually received?

So which is it, the cases you lost, LL or tenant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

Carnmore wrote: »
    Is it the landlords responsibility to clean a carpet for a new tenant?

The rental agreement is in place but the tenant hasn't moved in yet and they didn't initially notice the carpet was dirty.
    FFS just clean it, machine hired out for as little as e40 a day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement