Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty carpet in new rental property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't doubt that you are an honest person but here's the thing, you can be in a great job & on great money but at the same time you can be strung out on coke spending more than you earn. Three months bank & credit card statements tell me if you are living on real money or surviving day by day on an overdraft & credit cards.

There's nothing forcing you to give statements. It's your choice. There's nothing unusual about showing bank statements. I have to show them to an estate agent as a cash buyer before my bid is considered . I black out my account number & give the statements as requested. I see it as normal.

You dont have to show ea your bank statement, they also accept headed letters from solicitors normally as well so it isnt mandatory and at least from my experience, the vast majority wouldnt ask for a bank statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fol20 wrote:
    You dont have to show ea your bank statement, they also accept headed letters from solicitors normally as well so it isnt mandatory and at least from my experience, the vast majority wouldnt ask for a bank statement.

I've had plenty over the last 5 years. No statement no bid excepted. Not that it really mattered because as far as commercial property is concerned they really wanted 20 percent or more than the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

I've had plenty over the last 5 years. No statement no bid excepted. Not that it really mattered because as far as commercial property is concerned they really wanted 20 percent or more than the asking price.

I used a headed letter to get me past that however it was for residential instead of commercial so it might be a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Bank slips baby. . Seriously do you want the place or not.

Any good fraudster/criminal masquerading as a legit tenant trying to obtain a property to establish a growhouse or dubious establishment could falsify a bank statement with pdf editing software.

Browney7 wrote:
    Any good fraudster/criminal masquerading as a legit tenant trying to obtain a property to establish a growhouse or dubious establishment could falsify a bank statement with pdf editing software.

All landlords can do is protect themselves as best as they can. Bank statements work very well imo but not foolproof. Nothing is fool-proof. Work as previous address reference can be falsified too. We still ask for these details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Went for a mortgage, I had no problem providing bank statements to a bank. I would take issue with showing them to a private citizen, and if that meant I lost out on the property so be it. I don't need johnny landlord pouring through my spending habits to see if I'm saving enough money to meet his arbitrary satisfactory target. Again, I've never come across this and I think it's just an unnecessary power move, but then again some of the landlords in this thread have come across pretty sanctimonious and difficult so I can't imagine you're representative of the wider market.

Went for a mortgage, I had no problem providing bank statements to a bank. I would take issue with showing them to a private citizen, and if that meant I lost out on the property so be it. I don't need johnny landlord pouring through my spending habits to see if I'm saving enough money to meet his arbitrary satisfactory target. Again, I've never come across this and I think it's just an unnecessary power move, but then again some of the landlords in this thread have come across pretty sanctimonious and difficult so I can't imagine you're representative of the wider market.

Again no one has to provide statements if they don't want to however as you have read here there are great differences in the standards of different landlord. Some landlords come around to try repair things themselves. Some landlords send qualified tradesmen to repair things. Some landlords take days or weeks to repair something. Some landlords have it repaired in 24 hours 6 days a week. Many landlords don't service the boiler each year or opt for the 39 euro 10 minute special when a proper service takes 40 minutes or so. Some landlords wont clean a dirty carpet even though you haven't even moved in yet because you inspected the property & signed the lease. Some landlords would be mortified that they missed the dirty carpet & would get it cleaned straight away.

Standards. That's what it comes down to. What is your quality of life going to be while you live in this landlords property. Old furniture out of a skip or a freshly painted place with good quality furniture. There are plenty of landlords looking for bank statements. Some only starting to do it now & others getting bank statements for decades.

It's all down to personal choice. There is nothing wrong with saying no to statements & walking away.

Again I think it's disingenuous to suggest that a higher level of landlord scrutiny = higher quality landlord. My most recent rental was with an agency who didn't ask for bank statements, were super responsive dealing with issues I raised related to the building rather than my apartment (the management company wouldn't engage with tenants) and sorted out a plumbing problem the day after I contacted them, sending a qualified tradesman etc. I can appreciate why you might feel better seeing bank statements but from my POV they contain info which is frankly none of my landlord's concern and tell you nothing that you should need to know to gauge my suitability as a tenant.

There's no beating a good agency imo.

There are tell signs of a good or bad landlord when you look at a property. Look out for yellow door frames and skirting. These won't have seen white paint in 15 y or more. Look out for badly painted. This is a sign that the landlord maintain the property themselves. Look under rugs. If you see the shape of the iron burnt into the carpet you possibly have a landlord that took the cost of the a new carpet out of someone's deposit and bought a 10 euro rug instead, pocketing the balance. Anything with legs shouldn't wabble. Table, coffee table locker etc, if they wabble it's past its sell by date, might break easy and you'll be blamed.

There's lots of ways to sniff out a cheap landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

Fol20 wrote: »
    If the house is that bad, why does she not move on. Security and privacy are very important but I could never live in a damp environment, your health is the most important thing of all and I don’t get why she as lived there for 3 years
    she has tried to rent other places but can't get anything in her price range she gets the same reply each time. sorry you were not successful .and some places are just way to expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ann0 wrote: »
    she has tried to rent other places but can't get anything in her price range she gets the same reply each time. sorry you were not successful .and some places are just way to expensive.

It is becoming almost impossible these days to find a decent rental within range.

I spent months last year on that quest...Was getting resigned to living in my car when this place came up.

Things like new paint, decent furniture etc are sheer luxuries for many. Roof over head is the main thing.

Graces7 wrote:
    Things like new paint, decent furniture etc are sheer luxuries for many. Roof over head is the main thing.

Isn't that shocking in a modern Ireland and you'll pay top dollar for the bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Any word from.OP ? Has the LL been contacted yet with a list of demands ? Tenancy I assume is 1st august. Dont keep us waiting for an update

Any word from.OP ? Has the LL been contacted yet with a list of demands ? Tenancy I assume is 1st august. Dont keep us waiting for an update

The way I read the opening post I see a landlord asking but it is vague enough to equally be a tenant.

I'd love to know if the carpet was actually dirty?

Isn't that shocking in a modern Ireland and you'll pay top dollar for the bare minimum.

Yep.. and are relieved to get it. What is, is and no use wasting energy on it..

At the house where we made him take the carpet up we also made him remove the sofa which was unspeakably filthy and we got small armchairs instead from V de P.

As I said earlier.that was 12 years ago... Things were less stressful then.

The way I read the opening post I see a landlord asking but it is vague enough to equally be a tenant.

I'd love to know if the carpet was actually dirty?

Oh I believe it. Seen too many rental carpets not to. Always a relief to find laminate or lino. Carpets are bad hygiene wise anyways.

Place before this; upstairs was bare planks with gaps between; kept losing pens and knitting needles through them!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yep.. and are relieved to get it. What is, is and no use wasting energy on it..

At the house where we made him take the carpet up we also made him remove the sofa which was unspeakably filthy and we got small armchairs instead from V de P.

As I said earlier.that was 12 years ago... Things were less stressful then.

How much out of your own pocket are you actually paying per month on rent? Without any assistance such as hap or rent allowance or whatever? If your paying over 1000 plus like many of us are doing youd complain about dirty walls and carpets. Id expect to be able to eat me dinner off them when i move in for that kind of money.

Lots of landlords are taking the piss now to be honest. They know people are desperate.

Graces7 wrote:
    Oh I believe it. Seen too many rental carpets not to. Always a relief to find laminate or lino. Carpets are bad hygiene wise anyways.

I've seen more than my fair share too but I have also seen some tenants say its dirty and really a good hoovering would do it. To be fair I wouldn't want to cast judgement till op comes back on it.

Who hurt you

It is becoming almost impossible these days to find a decent rental within range.

I spent months last year on that quest...Was getting resigned to living in my car when this place came up.

thatswhat she says herself i have a roof .a lot of people dont

• Advertisement

ann0 wrote: »
    thatswhat she says herself i have a roof .a lot of people dont

Good for her..I came so near to not having. Can she get a dehumidifier? It will make a great difference to her health

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

So you believe that it's brilliant that legislation is totally anti landlord and that any excuse the RTB comes down on the side of the tenant?
    I certainly do, as I have had nothing but wicked, intimidating LL that tried to rip me off big big time, and I do not trust a single landlord in Ireland. My husband has a saying: The only good landlord is a dead landlord.
    I could trump everyone of your listed tales with stories like tenants turning a property into a brothel, another into a crack house that required shovels and skips (in that one I wasn't allowed claim a skip as it was "normal cleaning at the end of a tenancy" according to the adjudicator and I'm still waiting on the €3k+ for damages and arrears from that tenant).

I'm glad you were able to use the RTB to sort out your little problems with the bad LL's 4 times, but to say that it is brilliant that the law is totally one sided is quite pathetic.
    Definitely one sided, as is your opinion, and your little problems as well. I have always been a model tenant, never late with rent, and maintained the house properly.
    There is nothing brilliant about it.
    Seeing my experiences it is, seeing yours, maybe not.

Good for her..I came so near to not having. Can she get a dehumidifier? It will make a great difference to her health
    i have bought 5 of them for her and 2 air purifiers they seem to be helping

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I certainly do, as I have had nothing but wicked, intimidating LL that tried to rip me off big big time, and I do not trust a single landlord in Ireland. My husband has a saying: The only good landlord is a dead landlord.

Definitely one sided, as is your opinion, and your little problems as well. I have always been a model tenant, never late with rent, and maintained the house properly.
    Seeing my experiences it is, seeing yours, maybe not.

A dead landlord???? Are you serious?

And you agree that crack house tenants and children threatening pimp tenants have more protection under the RTA's than a LL "an absolutely brilliant thing".

It's only your opinion that you were a "model" tenant. Your attitude here belies this opinion and I'm sure your previous LL's would a much tell a much different story.

Oh and my opinion is that the law and it's interpretation is one sided, and you agree, so how is my opinion one sided?

A dead landlord???? Are you serious?

And you agree that crack house tenants and children threatening pimp tenants have more protection under the RTA's than a LL "an absolutely brilliant thing".

It's only your opinion that you were a "model" tenant. Your attitude here belies this opinion and I'm sure your previous LL's would a much tell a much different story.

Oh and my opinion is that the law and it's interpretation is one sided, and you agree, so how is my opinion one sided?
    Just as much as you put down my complaints, I do yours. I do not believe ALL tenants are crack house tenants etc. You are biased, and I am biased. You have had bad experiences, and I have had bad experiences. Let's leave it at that.

And for sure I was a tenant LL normally dream of.
    And I do not care that you think otherwise, as you were, thank allah, god, jesus josef, flying spaghetti monster, and mohammed, never mine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Enough with the sweeping generalisations. They are neither helpful or accurate.

Just as much as you put down my complaints, I do yours. I do not believe ALL tenants are crack house tenants etc. You are biased, and I am biased. You have had bad experiences, and I have had bad experiences. Let's leave it at that.

And for sure I was a tenant LL normally dream of.
    And I do not care that you think otherwise, as you were, thank allah, god, jesus josef, flying spaghetti monster, and mohammed, never mine.

Never held the attitude that the only good tenant is a dead tenant though. Glad I never came across you or any one like you. To have rubbed up mulitple LL's the wrong way says a lot. Have you ever heard the expression that it might not be all them but you.

And get it right, I am not biased towards tenants they have been my bread and butter for years. I just hold the opinion that the law is biased, an opinion you agree with and delight in because it suited your purpose.

Over the years I have had tenants rent with me again and others ring me for family members seeking accommodation. Many received glowing references. Don't dare try to equate me with you.

Never held the attitude that the only good tenant is a dead tenant though.
    Sorry you do not get the cynical reference to the well know phrase: 'The only good solicitor is a dead solicitor'.
    Glad I never came across you or any one like you. To have rubbed up mulitple LL's the wrong way says a lot. Have you ever heard the expression that it might not be all them but you.
    I would be more than happy to send you some of the mails I have exchanged with my LL, let's see if you still think that I rubbed them up, as I did not. It was really the other way around. Last house we rented, we agreed that the house would be cleaned and broken appliances fixed before moving in. I have the pictures of how clean the house was when we moved in, cobwebs everywhere, and a filthy kitchen. Also the dishwasher did not work, the heating did not work, and the fridge/freezer did not work. It took us lots of holidays to be available in the house to let repairmen in, which always were little friends of the LL, and never fixed things to any standard, but just very crappy, no money spending. Putting on band aids instead of really fixing. The heating was fixed, and the plummer told us that from now on, every time the heating would stop, we would need to "get in the boiler room with a screwdriver, stick it in a whole on the side of the appliance, and fiddle it around a bit, until it would come alive again"

You think that is normal? You feel that we would need to pay 1400 a month for that house? I don't think so.
    And get it right, I am not biased towards tenants they have been my bread and butter for years. I just hold the opinion that the law is biased, an opinion you agree with and delight in because it suited your purpose.
    of course I do, if you were the tenant, being bullied and harassed by your LL, so would you.
    Over the years I have had tenants rent with me again and others ring me for family members seeking accommodation. Many received glowing references.
    Good!
    Don't dare try to equate me with you.
    Public forum, I can equate whatever I want, and give my opinion. It is very hard to trust any LL again, seeing my history with them. If I would have had only LL like yourself I would be the first to tell LL are all angels in disguise. :p

You take things far too personal. I never dealt with you, so why are you getting so upset.

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note

Enough with the sweeping generalisations. They are neither helpful or accurate.

Sorry, you are right.

• Advertisement

Sorry you do not get the cynical reference to the well know phrase: 'The only good solicitor is a dead solicitor'.

No I don't recognize it and a quick google showed nothing either just solicitors advertising probate services
    Besides you said Landlord and meant Landlord

I would be more than happy to send you some of the mails I have exchanged with my LL, let's see if you still think that I rubbed them up, as I did not. It was really the other way around. Last house we rented, we agreed that the house would be cleaned and broken appliances fixed before moving in. I have the pictures of how clean the house was when we moved in, cobwebs everywhere, and a filthy kitchen. Also the dishwasher did not work, the heating did not work, and the fridge/freezer did not work. It took us lots of holidays to be available in the house to let repairmen in, which always were little friends of the LL, and never fixed things to any standard, but just very crappy, no money spending. Putting on band aids instead of really fixing. The heating was fixed, and the plummer told us that from now on, every time the heating would stop, we would need to "get in the boiler room with a screwdriver, stick it in a whole on the side of the appliance, and fiddle it around a bit, until it would come alive again"

You think that is normal? You feel that we would need to pay 1400 a month for that house? I don't think so.
    of course I do, if you were the tenant, being bullied and harassed by your LL, so would you.

None of this "bullying" and quite telling if you consider it "harassment". It is bad form on behalf of the landlord if true, but somehow I feel a bit sorry for them all

Good!

Public forum, I can equate whatever I want, and give my opinion. It is very hard to trust any LL again, seeing my history with them. If I would have had only LL like yourself I would be the first to tell LL are all angels in disguise. :p

You are entitled to your opinion, its just a shame that it has to be such a bitter and ill informed one. Which I'm guessing is compounded by the emoji, typed after the one statement that might have partly redeemed you.

You take things far too personal. I never dealt with you, so why are you getting so upset.

You're a randommer on the net, I don't take what YOU say personally. But if you're not called out on your pitiful attitude, you might grow to think it's actually acceptable. Thank God/ Allah/ etc you're a home owner now, how are you getting on with the neighbours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement