Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty carpet in new rental property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ann0 wrote: »
    i have bought 5 of them for her and 2 air purifiers they seem to be helping

Great. I have realised that since I came here ( demountable dwelling near the ocean) I have had no sinus infections etc. Was the damp in bad rentals.

Public forum, I can equate whatever I want, and give my opinion. It is very hard to trust any LL again, seeing my history with them. If I would have had only LL like yourself I would be the first to tell LL are all angels in disguise. :p

You take things far too personal. I never dealt with you, so why are you getting so upset.

Feeling with you. Deeply thankful I am safe now; rather neglect than what I went through with my last ll!
    Time to walk on as I refuse to let the bad things take over the future.

You and I are safe now... Be glad.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Christine LaDuchesse

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I rarely engage with other landlords here on boards as it turns to bellyaching very quickly. It's up to us to protect ourselves. It's up to us to make the proper checks on new tenants. I like to see bank statements with steady income. Credit card statements showing paying the minimum each month show a risky tenant imo. Even when a landlord gets it wrong & there's a 3k shortfall in the rent or 3k damages it only costs us 1.5k because if you got the 3k in rent you'd be lucky to see 1.5k after tax.
    I often wondered why a tenant has to put his whole life on the table, you as a LL get to check my income, and my payments on my CC, while a tenant never gets to vet a LL in the same way. There should be a way to give reviews of LL, create a blacklist of some form. Now it is very one-sided.

The last real estate person that managed the house we rented on behalf of our LL, was shocked to see the state of the house when handing over the key to us on moving in day. She told me a few months later she had hired a professional cleaning service and paid for them to clean the property. However, when contacting the cleaning services they explained to her that the LL (Who lived in a house behind the rental property) was present when they arrived to clean the house, and redirected the entire team to his own house for a good deep clean instead of the rental property.

If she would have told me this on the spot, when handing over the key, I would have abandoned the contract, as obviously this LL was not to be trusted. It took me over a week of frantic cleaning to get the house up to standards. Seeing the tiny volume of rental property available, we had no other choice. This unclean house was only the first of many problems with this specific LL. When we left the house, we were told by the real estate agent that she was of the opinion not only tenants should be vetted, but also LL

I cannot emphasize enough how happy we are now, that we are home owners now instead of tenants
    I also see the tenants side of things. Because I work in shower repair I am in 5 to 8 homes everyday. Some private & some rented. I get there to be told that they have had no shower for two weeks some times. Hey I heard about it less than 12 hours ago & I'm here. Tenant would ring landlord & might take a day or so to make contact. Landlord comes down, takes the shower cover off to have a look. He then says he will send his plumber. another few days go by & the plumber turns out to be the same guy the landlord called his electrician only a few months back. Plumber or electrician had can't repair it. Anyway eventually I get called only to find an antique long past it's natural working life but landlord still wants to repair rather than replace.

I even had a time where the landlord met me there. I diagnosed the problem & quoted supply & fit the part. "Hang on" he says, goes out to the car (a Shiny Merc not a year old) & comes back with a box of broken showers. "I have parts here".I told him to F off & left. For starters if I put a 2nd hand part in a shower & the shower goes on fire it's my fault & comes off my insurance.

When you work in these properties you see what the tenant has to put up with. This is the type on nonsense you'd expect in old bedsits where at least the rent is cheap but people are paying top dollar right now, at least in Dublin they are.If their carpet is dirty before they move in I don't think it a big ask to have it cleaned. You get to stop it out of the last tenants deposit anyway. The problem is some landlords stop it from the last tenant but pocket the money leaving the dirty carpet.

There are bad tenants but there are a lot of out & out scummy landlords out there too. I do not include any landlords commenting on this thread in that remark as I don't know you but any tradesmen or appliance repair companies will back me up in my comments.

Landlords love a tenant that doesn't bother them too much. Sometimes this is a bad thing. Sometimes this tenant is repairing things themselves this can include electrical appliances. Without trying to stereotype these would usually be foreign nationals where this might be the done thing in their own country. I don't see these as great tenants to have as they can cause a fire or your next tenant can be electrocuted because of their repairs.
    You are so right. Loads of scummy LL, and the tenants put up with it, cause there are not enough rental properties on the market, and the LL know this, so take advantage.

Went for a mortgage, I had no problem providing bank statements to a bank. I would take issue with showing them to a private citizen, and if that meant I lost out on the property so be it. I don't need johnny landlord pouring through my spending habits to see if I'm saving enough money to meet his arbitrary satisfactory target. Again, I've never come across this and I think it's just an unnecessary power move, but then again some of the landlords in this thread have come across pretty sanctimonious and difficult so I can't imagine you're representative of the wider market.
    Amen to the above.

If the rental market would have plenty of houses available at affordable prices, LL would beg people to rent their houses, throwing in free tv-sets and all. But because the market if fully screwed up, they have no scrupules invading your privacy with outrageous demands. 'For you 10 others in queue'. Decent tenants get hi-jacked by the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are so right. Loads of scummy LL, and the tenants put up with it, cause there are not enough rental properties on the market, and the LL know this, so take advantage.

Totally agree & it's not going to change till we build a lot more houses. If 100,000 homes are were built tomorrow we still have wouldn't have enough. It's not going to be change anytime soon.

I do think the property you mentioned where they cleaned the land house instead is very badly run. First off the landlord didn't contract in the cleaning company so they shouldn't have done what he asked & at the very least they should have contacted the estate agents to verify what the landlord claimed and to see if it was OK. They were contracted in to clean the property and didn't to it yet submitted an invoice that the estate agents paid! Bad landlord, bad cleaning company & terrible estate agents in this case.

• Advertisement

I don't believe that the rental market has ever been as you describe above. 10 years ago the bottom fell out of the rental market. Some rented at a loss. I wouldn't have a problem providing a TV. Most tenants don't want them because they now have to pay a tv licence. If they stream on a large monitor they don't need a TV licence

We've been getting bank statements and two months deposit since the early 90s. It's nothing to do with the shortage in homes. From our point of view we provide quality homes with a quality service. Imagine all the bad experiences you have had over the years well you wouldn't have had a of them with us. We don't ask a premium for the rent all we need is proof that our investment is safe.
    Remember no one has to give a statement & I myself have had to show bank statements as a cash buyer for property

I don't believe that the rental market has ever been assigned you describe above. 10 years ago the bottom fell out of the rental market. Some rented at a loss. I wouldn't have a problem providing a TV. Most tenants don't want them because they now have to pay a tv licence. If they stream on a large monitor they don't need a TV licence
    OK, I am not so familiar with the history of rental property in Ireland, as I used to live in the Netherlands till 15 year ago and there it was a different story for private sector rentals (social sector not, those houses have waiting lists for over 5 years)
    We've been getting bank statements and two months deposit since the early 90s. It's nothing to do with the shortage in homes. From our point of view we provide quality homes with a quality service. Imagine all the bad experiences you have had over the years well you wouldn't have had a of them with us. We don't ask a premium for the rent all we need is proof that our investment is safe.
    OK, again, see my previous answer above. Thanks for informing me properly. I have never shown a bank statement to any of the LL though, letter of employment and references were enough. I would not agree to show bank statements. Then again, I never was a tenant in Dublin, always in the country, far away from Dublin
    Remember no one has to give a statement & I myself have had to show bank statements as a cash buyer for property
    We paid cash for a property as well after all the bad experiences with LL. Should have done that ages ago!! But we will not live in Ireland forever, so it was also hard for us to make the commitment of buying a property here, as when we will move along, we have to sell it again. Always a risk. Anyway, we did not have to show a bank statement when buying.

We paid cash for a property as well after all the bad experiences with LL. Should have done that ages ago!! But we will not live in Ireland forever, so it was also hard for us to make the commitment of buying a property here, as when we will move along, we have to sell it again. Always a risk. Anyway, we did not have to show a bank statement when buying.

Many estate agents want bank statements from cash buyers before they are allowed to bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

Graces7 wrote: »
    Great. I have realised that since I came here ( demountable dwelling near the ocean) I have had no sinus infections etc. Was the damp in bad rentals.
    i bought 5 electric humidifiers and they are doing the job.she needs to report the landlord for walking in when ever he wants even though they only call once or twice a year.to paint over stuff that should be fixed..when the winter comes in that house will be freezing cold despite gas heating being used and an open fire.she is stuck there for now.ive told her to document everything from the gas the carpet the mould all over the place wardrobes soaking with damp they are wiped everdayand sprayed once a week.theres little damp bags hanging up and they fill up in no time.she needs to record the landlord opening the door and walking in.as far as i know you have to knock on the door and also give a bit of notice which they dont give .the tiles on the kitchen floor are bangorblue tiles from around 30 years ago they look like something of an old roof.the kithen is around 25 years old the gas boiler s 25 years old the windows would be around 25/30 years old.they have never done anything to this house except paint the odd time.the house has well paid for itself.these people have no cop on as at some stage their stupidity will cost them thousands as this house will eventually cost them

i bought 5 electric humidifiers and they are doing the job.she needs to report the landlord for walking in when ever he wants even though they only call once or twice a year.to paint over stuff that should be fixed..when the winter comes in that house will be freezing cold despite gas heating being used and an open fire.she is stuck there for now.ive told her to document everything from the gas the carpet the mould all over the place wardrobes soaking with damp they are wiped everdayand sprayed once a week.theres little damp bags hanging up and they fill up in no time.she needs to record the landlord opening the door and walking in.as far as i know you have to knock on the door and also give a bit of notice which they dont give .the tiles on the kitchen floor are bangorblue tiles from around 30 years ago they look like something of an old roof.the kithen is around 25 years old the gas boiler s 25 years old the windows would be around 25/30 years old.they have never done anything to this house except paint the odd time.the house has well paid for itself.these people have no cop on as at some stage their stupidity will cost them thousands as this house will eventually cost them

PLEASE be very careful if there is black mould. I was in one damp house when I realised there was black dust everywhere... Black mould spores and they can cause illness. It made me more and more ill; I had noticed that if i was out for the day I felt better. google a few sites on black mould?

I too had nowhere else to go for a while but that put wings on my feet..

• Advertisement

PLEASE be very careful if there is black mould. I was in one damp house when I realised there was black dust everywhere... Black mould spores and they can cause illness. It made me more and more ill; I had noticed that if i was out for the day I felt better. google a few sites on black mould?

I too had nowhere else to go for a while but that put wings on my feet..
    she cleans everthing daily and i think she has had black stuff on the windows .she has tried to rent other places but they are either out of her price range or there is 20 people looking at the same property..she could contact envirometal health who could view the house and possibly stop the house from rental until it is brought up to scratch.if that happens she will end up in a hostel or hotel room with her son ,ive seen some desperate rooms that are being used for homeless families.i have a freind who works in swords county council im gonna ask her what they can do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Given the OP didn't reply at all, or give any further details, this thread certainly went off in a very strange tangent :)

astrofool wrote:
    Given the OP didn't reply at all, or give any further details, this thread certainly went off in a very strange tangent

We still don't know if the carpet was actually dirty! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Threads like this just continue to cause me to job-hunt outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

But we will not live in Ireland forever....

Oh no! Say it's not so.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Oh no! Say it's not so.
    reminds me of blink 182 all the small things

Say it ain't so
    I will not go
    Turn the lights off
    Carry me home

Ann0, maybe another tip.... What if your daughter sets an ultimatum for the LL, in writing, telling him that she will obtain advise from health and safety, if he does not comply to the standards as set in any rental contract regarding living conditions? If he doesn't manage to fix everything before the deadline she sets, really alert health and safety, but at least she will have all in writing, strengthening her case.

Ann0, maybe another tip.... What if your daughter sets an ultimatum for the LL, in writing, telling him that she will obtain advise from health and safety, if he does not comply to the standards as set in any rental contract regarding living conditions? If he doesn't manage to fix everything before the deadline she sets, really alert health and safety, but at least she will have all in writing, strengthening her case.
    thats what i have been telling her shes terrified she will be given a months notice.theresnot much i can do she has to do it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

thats what i have been telling her shes terrified she will be given a months notice.theresnot much i can do she has to do it herself.

One thing i would say is i would way up how "cheap" her rent is. If she is paying 800 a month and the market rate is 1600, i would way up the pros and cons of doing that. People are going to chastise me for saying that but from a practical point of view, if you stir up the hornets nest, If you are forcing a ll to spend 1000s in doing a place up, he might find a way to increase rent to market rate. This might be one of the reasons why she is paying below market rate as per a previous post but only she knows if it is worth the hassle. If your only a 100 or 2 below market rate, then they should have the place in good nick.

EdgeCase wrote:
    Threads like this just continue to cause me to job-hunt outside Ireland.

Or.... Stay in Ireland and don't read the threads?

Just a thought

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote: »
    One thing i would say is i would way up how "cheap" her rent is. If she is paying 800 a month and the market rate is 1600, i would way up the pros and cons of doing that. People are going to chastise me for saying that but from a practical point of view, if you stir up the hornets nest, If you are forcing a ll to spend 1000s in doing a place up, he might find a way to increase rent to market rate. This might be one of the reasons why she is paying below market rate as per a previous post but only she knows if it is worth the hassle. If your only a 100 or 2 below market rate, then they should have the place in good nick.
    i get what you mean but theres no way she can pay any more her rent is 1000 a month and she is seriously struggling to pay that .the mortgage on the place is well paid for now.this landlord is really being stupid as there was a carbon monoxide leak a few months ago which he was not to bothered about until bord gais contacted him.people say move on get another place but its not as easy as that anymore

i get what you mean but theres no way she can pay any more her rent is 1000 a month and she is seriously struggling to pay that .the mortgage on the place is well paid for now.this landlord is really being stupid as there was a carbon monoxide leak a few months ago which he was not to bothered about until bord gais contacted him.people say move on get another place but its not as easy as that anymore

Living in fear is not good. And does she get any help fro eg SW?!

Living in fear is not good. And does she get any help fro eg SW?!
    she gets help with her rent she is also doing a psychology course in the hopes of a better future ,the sw pay 700 and she has the rest, to pay herself.she actually loves the bungalow shes in and does her best with it.her 9 year old sons room is basically damp free as she cleans the damp every second day uses damp boxes in the wardrobe and uses an electric dehumidifier in the room and an air purifier.one trick she got of a painter was to wipe with domestos bleach paint over with ubercoat and then paint over that again with gloss.,she did that on the window sills and around them.that was 2 years ago when she did that and it never came back on the window sills.she was talking to threshold a few weeks ago who told her she may never get a council house in her life time.thatswhy she is doing the course to try and eventually buy her own house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

she gets help with her rent she is also doing a psychology course in the hopes of a better future ,the sw pay 700 and she has the rest, to pay herself.she actually loves the bungalow shes in and does her best with it.her 9 year old sons room is basically damp free as she cleans the damp every second day uses damp boxes in the wardrobe and uses an electric dehumidifier in the room and an air purifier.one trick she got of a painter was to wipe with domestos bleach paint over with ubercoat and then paint over that again with gloss.,she did that on the window sills and around them.that was 2 years ago when she did that and it never came back on the window sills.she was talking to threshold a few weeks ago who told her she may never get a council house in her life time.thatswhy she is doing the course to try and eventually buy her own house.

Just out of interest what is ubercoat, is it a brand of paint?its great that she is out bettering herself to become independent. Only a select few should be given council houses and not the other way around.

Just out of interest what is ubercoat, is it a brand of paint?its great that she is out bettering herself to become independent. Only a select few should be given council houses and not the other way around.

so where are the rentals ? The OPs problem is that she is being forced to stay in a damp unhealthy house as there are no alternatives.

Council houses re for all in need as she is and as I was. They are for all in need. Need is the only real criterion

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

so where are the rentals ? The OPs problem is that she is being forced to stay in a damp unhealthy house as there are no alternatives.

Council houses re for all in need as she is and as I was. They are for all in need. Need is the only real criterion

Jesus thats handy as f**k she gets 700 off the social towards her rent and is still isnt happy and complaining about a bit of damp. Shes struggling to pay the other 300 herself ? Id love to only pay that. Lot of people renting a room only would pay or more than that let alone a house. Im definately a mug for paying my rent all out of my own pocket.

Jesus thats handy as f**k she gets 700 off the social towards her rent and is still isnt happy and complaining about a bit of damp. Shes struggling to pay the other 300 herself ? Id love to only pay that. Lot of people renting a room only would pay or more than that let alone a house. Im definately a mug for paying my rent all out of my own pocket.

Ah leave it out. Bad landlords love the likes of you shifting the blame away from them. It doesn't matter where the rent comes from, no one should be allowed to rent out damp property covered in mould. Instead of victim blaming are you not more annoyed that our 700 euro is going to a slum lord? If the state decides she's entitled to the 700 I respect that but it kills me to think that some slum Lord is taking advantage of us the taxpayers as well as the tenant. We're not getting value for money

In fairness mould can be very bad for your health especially for anyone with breathing difficulties or asthma.

Jesus that's handy as f**k she gets 700 off the social towards her rent and is still isnt happy and complaining about a bit of damp. She's struggling to pay the other 300 herself? Id love to only pay that. Lot of people renting a room only would pay or more than that let alone a house. Im definitely a mug for paying my rent all out of my own pocket.

a bit of damp well its far from a bit of damp the whole house is riddled with it. educate yourself on mould spores while you're at it.her son has asthma but sure it's just a bit of damp nothing to worry about. also should he not have fixed the carbon monoxide either as she is on rent allowance.which is no of your f ing business either 9 weeks to fix the carbon monoxide she couldn't use the cooker due to it but hey don't pester the landlord if you're on rent allowance.god help anyone if you were a landlord.

sleeper 12 i get what you are saying about taxes going to slum lanlords.they are taking advantage but there is nothing she can do at the mo.she is doing a course on physcology so she can hopefully get of rent allowance.

undercoat...and yep she is trying to better herself she has no intentions of staying on rent allowance.she works 30 hours a week and was told she can not claim anything but strangely enough gets the rent allowance.her wages cover her rent food gas and electricity she cant afford to keep a car going so sold that of.she cant afford a holiday so the places where she takes her son is bray wiclow and tayto park.she dosent drink or smoke.any spare cash goes into the house to keep it habitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Ah leave it out. Bad landlords love the likes of you shifting the blame away from them. It doesn't matter where the rent comes from, no one should be allowed to rent out damp property covered in mould. Instead of victim blaming are you not more annoyed that our 700 euro is going to a slum lord? If the state decides she's entitled to the 700 I respect that but it kills me to think that some slum Lord is taking advantage of us the taxpayers as well as the tenant. We're not getting value for money

In fairness mould can be very bad for your health especially for anyone with breathing difficulties or asthma.

Ah go way with your slum landlord ****e. Im the first to knock landlords and their bull****. If their decent theyre decent if their not theyre not. Doesnt change the fact shes still only paying 300. How is she struggling to pay that? She either needs to go and make a complaint to the relevant authorities if the landlords refusing to do anything or just bite the bullet and move. Yes its a struggle with lack of houses but they are out there. I think its more who would accept the sw payments, thats def an issue. If the mould is such a concern to your health why stay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement