Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty carpet in new rental property

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

Ah go way with your slum landlord ****e. Im the first to knock them and their bull****. Doesnt change the fact shes still only paying 300. How is she struggling to pay that? She either needs to go and make a complaint to the relevant authorities if the landlords refusing to do anything or just bite the bullet and move. Yes its a struggle with lack of houses but they are out there. I think its more who would accept the sw payments, thats def an issue. If the mould is such a concern to your health why stay.
    she has tried and tried to get another house or apartment.she even looked into renting further out still nothing.shes not one of those who say ah i want to stay near me ma or me friends.she is struggling to pay her rent and thats it.she dosent smoke or drink everything she has goes on necessities.theres no luxuries at all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ah go way with your slum landlord ****e. Im the first to knock landlords and their bull****. If their decent theyre decent if their not theyre not. Doesnt change the fact shes still only paying 300. How is she struggling to pay that? She either needs to go and make a complaint to the relevant authorities if the landlords refusing to do anything or just bite the bullet and move. Yes its a struggle with lack of houses but they are out there. I think its more who would accept the sw payments, thats def an issue. If the mould is such a concern to your health why stay.

How she is struggling to pay the 300 is none of my business tbh. She's studying in college so I see her as being a taxpayer in a few years. There's a big difference between someone wanting to live off benefits all their life and someone needing a temporary leg up. Why you'd slag off someone trying to better themselves is beyond me.

The issue is not who pays for the rent. The issue is that the landlord is renting a substandard property. Read back on the thread & you'll see that there are minimum standards set down by law and this property does not meat them. This is what a slum Lord does. A property with mould in the summer has major issues. This isn't the usual condensation mould you get from drying clothes indoors in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    How she is struggling to pay the 300 is none of my business tbh. She's studying in college so I see her as being a taxpayer in a few years. There's a big difference between someone wanting to live off benefits all their life and someone needing a temporary leg up. Why you'd slag off someone trying to better themselves is beyond me.

The issue is not who pays for the rent. The issue is that the landlord is renting a substandard property. Read back on the thread & you'll see that there are minimum standards set down by law and this property does not meat them. This is what a slum Lord does. A property with mould in the summer has major issues. This isn't the usual condensation mould you get from drying clothes indoors in the winter.

Where did i slag her off? I said i wouldnt mind paying whats shes paying and i cant understand how shes struggling to pay that. Fair enough shes trying to better herself but if its that bad sometimes its better to cut your losses. I understand its not that easy though.

Question

Where did i slag her off? I said i wouldnt mind paying whats shes paying and i cant understand how shes struggling to pay that. Fair enough shes trying to better herself but if its that bad sometimes its better to cut your losses. I understand its not that easy though.

& answer

Jesus thats handy as f**k she gets 700 off the social towards her rent and is still isnt happy and complaining about a bit of damp. Shes struggling to pay the other 300 herself ? Id love to only pay that. Lot of people renting a room only would pay or more than that let alone a house. Im definately a mug for paying my rent all out of my own pocket.

It doesn't matter who pays the rent. All her, part her, all the state or part the state. The important part of the story is rent is being paid.

There is damp & mold in the property & there shouldn't be. She has a child in a damp property. If you read the thread she isn't even complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Reasonable yes. But if you havent dealt with tenants before you wouldnt recognise the signs. I have an example. Had a tenant same thing. Carpet was dirty she said after signing contract. Said Id would have it cleaned. Like that been 'reasonable' still wasnt happy. So I had a new one installed. Then was the house wasnt clean enought... I paid them 200euros just to move on all was happy for a week or two. . Then the demands kept.coming. it was never ending. Just things werent adding up. Want was been said wasnt true. Of course the rent was the last thing on the tenants mind never paid on time.. All.in.all it cost me thousands with damage rubbish unpaid rent etc. . In short been reasonable gets landlords no where.. yes yes I know not all tenants are the sale but there are so many looking for properties now there s no reason to take a chance

So now you rent any old dirty broken crap? Well expect more dirty broken tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

It's true its none of your business how she pays or to give her a "leg up". It is your business to rent an apartment with basic standards of health and safety. This is why we need regulation people. And also on non paying tenants, they should be turfed out. The law should favour decent tenants and landlords, but it favours scummy ones from both sides.

the only sw thing she is allowed is rent allowance well she will be of that in around 2 years if things work out..im not putting down all landlords and i hope any landlord who reads this dosent think i am.most landlords i know are decent and do what they have to do.1 landlord i know sends his tennants to tayto park for the day while he does repairs.she is on carers allowance for 2 special needs kids.he pays for the whole day.even at christmas this man and his wife give the kids a present each and take them out to see santy.the landlords lost their son around 10 years ago.so its like the whole lot of them are like a family the kids are like grandkids to them.the woman a daughter to them.they do a lot of things together christmas day the landlords go to her house and another time she will go to them.its lovely to see how they all get on

Question

& answer

It doesn't matter who pays the rent. All her, part her, all the state or part the state. The important part of the story is rent is being paid.

There is damp & mold in the property & there shouldn't be. She has a child in a damp property. If you read the thread she isn't even complaining

She obviously isnt happy if shes complaining to her friend. Obviously the damp is an issue. She needs to complain to landlord or relevant authorities if she wants changes not to her friend. 300 pm is still handy money compared to 1000. I know what id rather pay.

She obviously isn't happy if shes complaining to her friend.
    shes not complaining to anyone shes getting on with it doing what she has to do.at the end of the day she is doing her best to better herself and get a good job .better than the one she has now what more can she do.

She obviously isnt happy if shes complaining to her friend.

What do you not get? She's living in damp and mold. The landlord gets market rate rent. Do you think that is right or wrong? She has every right to complain.

There is a young mother with a child paying rent in a damp moldy house.

I'm struggling to understand why you are fixated on her & her being on rent allowance. This does not make sense to me. A 10 year old child could see who the villain is in this story and its not this girl.

I'll leave it there. We'll end up getting the thread locked if we continue back and forwards

• Advertisement

What do you not get? She's living in damp and mold. The landlord gets market rate rent. Do you think that is right or wrong? She has every right to complain.

I'm struggling to understand why you are fixated on her & her being on rent allowance. This does not make sense to me. A 10 year old child could see who the villain is in this story and its not this girl.

I'll leave it there. We'll end up getting the thread locked if we continue back and forwards

Never said it was right. Landlords a chancer. Needs to go to relevant authorities or move.

Still handy money. Id love to be paying that.

Your right. Well leave it there so.

thanks at least someone understands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Graces7 wrote: »
    so where are the rentals ? The OPs problem is that she is being forced to stay in a damp unhealthy house as there are no alternatives.

Council houses re for all in need as she is and as I was. They are for all in need. Need is the only real criterion

I agree with you that no one should have to live in damp conditions but where do you think the money for a council house comes from? I wont get bogged down in this conversation as you probably know its been talked to death at this stage. Is it ok if we agree to disagree.

Ah leave it out. Bad landlords love the likes of you shifting the blame away from them. It doesn't matter where the rent comes from, no one should be allowed to rent out damp property covered in mould. Instead of victim blaming are you not more annoyed that our 700 euro is going to a slum lord? If the state decides she's entitled to the 700 I respect that but it kills me to think that some slum Lord is taking advantage of us the taxpayers as well as the tenant. We're not getting value for money

In fairness mould can be very bad for your health especially for anyone with breathing difficulties or asthma.

Sleeper i still have my suspicions of you being a ll. All of your comments are very anti ll and normally if you are a ll you would either try and be objective or defend your cause.

I agree with you that no one should have to endure a very bad damp mould patch however what your describing is very extreme. Value for money can be subjective. If anything in this case you could say the tax payer is getting value for money as they are giving the tenant only 700e while if the tenant moves the tax payer may have to poney up more money as no other rentals are around that amount. Again this is to the detriment to the tenant but it is costing the tax payer less as a result.

ann0 wrote: »
    a bit of damp well its far from a bit of damp the whole house is riddled with it. educate yourself on mould spores while you're at it.her son has asthma but sure it's just a bit of damp nothing to worry about. also should he not have fixed the carbon monoxide either as she is on rent allowance.which is no of your f ing business either 9 weeks to fix the carbon monoxide she couldn't use the cooker due to it but hey don't pester the landlord if you're on rent allowance.god help anyone if you were a landlord.

sleeper 12 i get what you are saying about taxes going to slum lanlords.they are taking advantage but there is nothing she can do at the mo.she is doing a course on physcology so she can hopefully get of rent allowance.

I think if i was your daughter, i would take and take it as much as positive as possible and look at as a character strengthening moment, where she will work hard in her future job so that she will never be in this position again. Its always good to stay positive. It sounds like she is getting on with stuff anyway so fair play to her.

Personally,i treat HAP tenants equally and if they report something i would treat it equally as someone else pointed out, it doesnt really matter where the money is coming from as long as i receive it. Mind you my current hap tenant is actually the most needy iv come across but thats just this tenant not the hap thing.

undercoat...and yep she is trying to better herself she has no intentions of staying on rent allowance.she works 30 hours a week and was told she can not claim anything but strangely enough gets the rent allowance.her wages cover her rent food gas and electricity she cant afford to keep a car going so sold that of.she cant afford a holiday so the places where she takes her son is bray wiclow and tayto park.she dosent drink or smoke.any spare cash goes into the house to keep it habitable

Ah right ok, i must give that a go in my own place, out of all my places, my own bedroom is the only place that has a small bit around the window.

Ah go way with your slum landlord ****e. Im the first to knock landlords and their bull****. If their decent theyre decent if their not theyre not. Doesnt change the fact shes still only paying 300. How is she struggling to pay that? She either needs to go and make a complaint to the relevant authorities if the landlords refusing to do anything or just bite the bullet and move. Yes its a struggle with lack of houses but they are out there. I think its more who would accept the sw payments, thats def an issue. If the mould is such a concern to your health why stay.

I agree with some of your points but i couldnt imagine trying to stay afloat when your studying ,renting and trying to provide for a kid all at the same time.

She doesnt pay market rate as she cant find anything else in her area she can afford. Mind you im sure once this place it re-let in the future, it sounds like it requires a decent chunk of work to make it let-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

undercoat...and yep she is trying to better herself she has no intentions of staying on rent allowance.she works 30 hours a week and was told she can not claim anything but strangely enough gets the rent allowance.her wages cover her rent food gas and electricity she cant afford to keep a car going so sold that of.she cant afford a holiday so the places where she takes her son is bray wiclow and tayto park.she dosent drink or smoke.any spare cash goes into the house to keep it habitable

That makes me angry at the landlord. It really does. That is HIS job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fol20 wrote: »
    I agree with you that no one should have to live in damp conditions but where do you think the money for a council house comes from? I wont get bogged down in this conversation as you probably know its been talked to death at this stage. Is it ok if we agree to disagree.

:confused:

from taxes of course.. which is fine in a welfare state. I live in a council property. Glad of it but it is a right not a privilege.

• Advertisement

from taxes of course.. which is fine in a welfare state. I live in a council property. Glad of it but it is a right not a privilege.

The thread will go off topic if we discuss further, so i think neither of us will come to an agreement on this.

Exactly how many years did you contribute to taxes in this State?

Thats the issue with living in a welfare state, too many individuals think that it is their right to have free housing without contributing a penny to the State and are the first to complain when things dont go their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Did anybody clean the carpet yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dirty carpet anyone

Dirty carpet anyone

Dirty carpet anyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

A bunch of off-topic posts that could potentially identify a 3rd party have been deleted.

As the OP has now received plenty of opinions and we've strayed way off topic, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement