Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Binge watching tv series

• 22-07-2018 3:00am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ever happen to anyone else that you find yourself up at 4am on a cliffhanger, after sticking on that tv show you heard a few people say was good, just for something to watch while you were making dinner an eternity ago?

Comments

Yeah..it beats the p1ss out of the old way of watching television though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Ever happen to anyone else that you find yourself up at 4am on a cliffhanger, after sticking on that tv show you heard a few people say was good, just for something to watch while you were making dinner an eternity ago?

name it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

It’s happened me way too often.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

name it

Stranger Things

But it's happened to me before, I usually don't watch shows as they air so I end up with a full season at my fingertips months/years later.

I still remember watching game of thrones for the first time, and that awful break when I needed to download season 2

Yeah..it beats the p1ss out of the old way of watching television though..

I cant take the constant cliffhangers from watching weekly.. And remember the dark old days where you might miss an episode and have no way of seeing it before the next one

• Advertisement

Stranger Things

But it's happened to me before, I usually don't watch shows as they air so I end up with a full season at my fingertips months/years later.

I still remember watching game of thrones for the first time, and that awful break when I needed to download season 2

its an excellent show. i binged on it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I've often binge watched TV shows and bejaysus I was frazzled after it all. I binge watched 5 and a half seasons of Game Of Thrones in a week to catch up with the last season and I wasn't fit for human purpose.

I cant take the constant cliffhangers from watching weekly.. And remember the dark old days where you might miss an episode and have no way of seeing it before the next one

Yeah..or flicking through channels for hours..
    The quality of programming has gotten better due to it too..
    Although the one thing is, when I watch a film now I'm like 'where's my 8 hours of character development?'..

its an excellent show. i binged on it myself
    It's been sitting on my harddrive for almost a year now and I just popped it on today on a whim, great show!

ive been binging on the sopranos the last few weeks. its surprising how much you'd miss/forget when watching it back. I think its even funnier now then when i 1st watched it.

curb your enthusiasm is worth a binge too if your feeling a bit like comedy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I prefer watching my television on television, on television stations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Started binge watching neighbors and home and away, must be two, two and a half years ago now... Home and away really picks up after about the 8th season, I've hit a bit of a lull now, around season 17/18...

Started binge watching neighbors and home and away, must be two, two and a half years ago now... Home and away really picks up after about the 8th season, I've hit a bit of a lull now, around season 17/18...
    Stone the flamin' crows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Ya flaming goolah!

I stopped binge watching when I realised it was like reading a book too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

of course. it is a form of escapism.
    note that I don't have a TV in the house, and I don't pay online subscriptions - but there is alot of stuff I am getting from friends.
    there is an attempt at controlling when the binge watching sessions happen, and i prefer to have them at my own pace (hence I may go up to 5 episodes/nite).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It depends on the show really.

There's several I watch weekly the day after they air in the US (no ads though is a great thing), but others that I'm catching up on I'll watch 2/3 a night depending on how into it I am.

Example.. I never watched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones first time round as they aired so I pulled down the entire series and watched them over a couple of weeks.

Narcos or House of Cards are good examples of shows that you can't really just have on and "sorta" watch (especially with the subtitles in the former) so anything more than 2/3 at a time would be pointless as you'd miss loads after that as the concentration starts to go and you get distracted.

I see threads where Netflix have released an entire season in one go and it's like a race for some to get the first "watched the finale and..." post.

Not for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Done it with a few shows, my worst bingeing was probably making it through the 60-odd episodes of the Wire in a week.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Done it with a few shows, my worst bingeing was probably making it through the 60-odd episodes of the Wire in a week.

Apparently it's been released in HD.. Looking forward to a third sitting of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I won't watch anymore than 4 episodes in a row. You need a bit of time to take the show in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I tried The Wire, I really did. It took me 3 attempts to get through season 1 and then after me finally getting into it, season 2 was so different that it put me off again. Haven't watched any more since.

Now The Shield on the other hand I've watched about 4 times all the way through.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I tried The Wire, I really did. It took me 3 attempts to get through season 1 and then after me finally getting into it, season 2 was so different that it put me off again. Haven't watched any more since.

Now The Shield on the other hand I've watched about 4 times all the way through.

Well if you only made it that far, you missed my favorite part of any TV show ever.

(no spoilers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Breaking Game of Westworld Abbey was good. But they all start to melt into one eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Heard about ‘Designated Survivor’ 3 days ago.

Finished first season last night.

Discovered they discontinued it after season 2 only this morning.

Dunno if I’ll bother anymore unless some other network decides to pick it up and co tinge with season 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not sure if it is a different version, but I heard the widescreen one doesn't really work - e.g. the shots are wider than intended and look a little awkward, in some tighter indoor scenes apparently you can see some camera equipment, booms etc in reflections and such too. Bit of a shame if it's true, I watched it twice in one summer then again about a year later, but that was 8-9 years ago and I could easily do with another go through.

I also reckon if Kaiser wasn't hooked by the time the "f***, f***ing f***itty f***, motherf***er" scene in the kitchen was done, they're not getting hooked at all. At least that tends to be how it goes from people I've recommended it to!

Another one for this would be Mr. Robot. I had an unplanned trip to Washington from Toronto about two years back, flights were $800(!) but the bus was about $120 or something if memory serves so I took one overnight and went through the whole first series... but by the time season 2 came around I was completely lost again. Unbelievable show but an utter mindf*** and ever since I've been trying to hold off so I can just watch it all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I once watched 18 episodes of 24 in one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Greyfox

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I won't watch anymore than 4 episodes in a row. You need a bit of time to take the show in

I think this is what I'm going to do in future. Watching 1 episode a week is horrible as your just getting back to that high point again and then it's over with another frustrating wait, also after a week you might forget small details that are important to the plot. I did 3/4 ep a time with breaking bad when I was a few seasons behind and it was great as in between watches I read people's opinions on here and it built anticipation and helped me absorb little things that I missed.

Most shows that I have binge watched I reckon I've enjoyed more due to binging and if I don't binge I might not get back to the tv show for a while which will effect my enjoyment. I love binge watching as its so addictive and so so rewarding, it makes storytelling more enjoyable

I'm a bit conflicted though, with Game of thrones I watched from its first release and waiting a year for each season has been really painful. Although as the story is so deep and multi layered it was probably a good thing as rewatching episodes and reading fan theorys allowed me to pick up on important things I missed the first time and this enhanced my enjoyment.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I binge watched Love / Hate. Thought I was a gangster afterwards.

Great show old boy.

Pip pip.

• Advertisement

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I once watched 18 episodes of 24 in one day.

At least you had Jack reminding you of the time every hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Binge watch

One of the many phrases that have entered the lexicon that I bloody well hate

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Binge watch

One of the many phrases that have entered the lexicon that I bloody well hate

Up there with Fanny ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Go back and watch it properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did the first 3 seasons of GoT in a weekend....didnt make it out of bed :)

Other than that I watched How I Met Your Mother in 3 weeks and Halt Catch Fire in 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Did you get to see Sally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had to be strict with youtube when I got the internet back after nearly 7 months... So much temptation although "Casualty" was the only thing I had followed.. Only so much gore you can take at one sitting ;)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    It depends on the show really.

There's several I watch weekly the day after they air in the US (no ads though is a great thing), but others that I'm catching up on I'll watch 2/3 a night depending on how into it I am.

Example.. I never watched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones first time round as they aired so I pulled down the entire series and watched them over a couple of weeks.

Narcos or House of Cards are good examples of shows that you can't really just have on and "sorta" watch (especially with the subtitles in the former) so anything more than 2/3 at a time would be pointless as you'd miss loads after that as the concentration starts to go and you get distracted.

I see threads where Netflix have released an entire season in one go and it's like a race for some to get the first "watched the finale and..." post.

Not for me :)
    One problem I've encountered with regards to GoT is that if you don't watch it with a few hours of when it aired you will almost certainly have it spoiled for you the next day, it's simply too popular now to ignore and wait till the end of the season.

Advertisement