Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alfa 156 1.6 (sportwagon) - reliable?

• 22-07-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am looking for any insight or experience with these cars.

I need an estate/wagon type car and while I was looking at the usuals 307sw, focus, v40 etc - I love the look and style of the Alfa

I am looking at a 2004 156 Sportwagon 1.6
    Car is based in Portugal and would be left out there for occasional use during holidays.

Having never owned one I don’t know what to expect. Are they reliable?
    Car is very tidy with 200,00klm on it.

As it’s a holiday home the car would sit idle in an underground car park for weeks/months - battery disconnected.
    Then get two/three weeks of consistent use and a few weekends through the year.

I have an old saxo at the moment, never had any issues.

Should I look elsewhere or is the Alfa a reliable unit?

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They are reliable as long as you keep fixing them.
    Every brand of car has issues.
    Look after your car and it’ll look after you

or something.

That’s usually how Alfa threads go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, no they are not really reliable. If you look up "reliable" in the dictionary, there will not be a picture of an Alfa 156.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I had a 2006 156 so the very last of them.
    1.6 engine. In the year I had it 2012/2013 it never went wrong at all

Build quality was very poor though there were loose bits of trim etc...

But I liked it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a 14 year old car so reliability is relative to the individual car itself at that age. Timing belt and water pump change on those engines is every 36k miles afaik. Also make sure all the electrics work

Holidays are for relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Do not buy an Alfa 156 and expect it won’t ruin the occasional day trip, weekend or holiday for you.

It’s nice to look at and drive but there isn’t a hope in hell I’d depend on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Used to have an 03 156. Only broke once in a way I had trouble getting home where the radiator started leaking.

Wouldn't advice one for occasional use while supposed to be on holiday. Suspension bushes wear out quickly even with little mileage. Maf sensors go regularly and intervals and belts is way too short for what should be a cheap no hassle car.

I'd buy what ever is most popular and available car in Portugal. At least any local mechanic in the area will be good at working on it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Apart from the fact that finding a sportswagon in itself won't be an easy feat.
    2nd, you'd want proof that the timing belt, water pump and variator were changed.
    3rd, the suspension is made of cheese so expect a lot of wishbone replacements.
    The 1.6 isn't a very quick engine but it's revvy, I'd try and go for the 1.8 as it has the perfect balance in power.
    Other than that, if the car isn't costing you much then never mind the it's an Alfa blah blah ****e and buy a Corolla instead talk and go for it.
    If it breaks, off with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

jsut get a japaneese car and enjoy your holidays,
    Honda, toyota, mitzi (no nissan - the nissan renaults are junk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Notch000 wrote: »
    jsut get a japaneese car and enjoy your holidays,
    Honda, toyota, mitzi (no nissan - the nissan renaults are junk)

This would be my thinking. It's not Alfa nay saying for the sake of it, it's genuine advice. Best advice actually for use that is that infrequent would be to rent a car.

The reality of it is if I were looking to enjoy my holidays in Portugal, arriving to 15 year old Alfa with 200k kms on the clock that's been parked up with the battery off for the last year is probably not going to be the most noble of steeds for me to be putting my faith in.

Another thing.. the saloons boot is actually bigger than the estate so keep that in mind.
    I hadn't properly read the opening post but tbh if you're simply going to let a car rot in a garage for most of the year then maybe you shouldn't bother with buying any car?
    No car will stand just idle with no use and then expect it to be reliable for 2/3 weeks a year.
    Why don't you rent? Or make a trip out of it and simply drive from Ireland to Portugal? With a ferry service to Spain now from Cork it should make the trip a hell of a lot easier.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Another thing.. the saloons boot is actually bigger than the estate so keep that in mind.
    I hadn't properly read the opening post but tbh if you're simply going to let a car rot in a garage for most of the year then maybe you shouldn't bother with buying any car?
    No car will stand just idle with no use and then expect it to be reliable for 2/3 weeks a year.
    Why don't you rent? Or make a trip out of it and simply drive from Ireland to Portugal? With a ferry service to Spain now from Cork it should make the trip a hell of a lot easier.

Easier?

2000km+ each way driving and ferries, about 48 hours each way, vs €100 a piece return flights? Sounds like hell.

Own apartment, own car. Get a mechanic to service it for you at the start of summer and you’re sorted. That’s easy.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Easier?

2000km+ each way driving and ferries, about 48 hours each way, vs €100 a piece return flights? Sounds like hell.

Own apartment, own car. Get a mechanic to service it for you at the start of summer and you’re sorted. That’s easy.

I'd prefer it my way... So for me it's easier and I'd make a road trip out of it.

Advertisement