Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crazy bidding just for fun !

• 22-07-2018 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done this? I. E. Just bid on properties with no intention of ever buying. There must be people who just out of badness/ s*** sturring do this

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has anyone done this? I. E. Just bid on properties with no intention of ever buying. There must be people who just out of badness/ s*** sturring do this

I’ve heard of it as rumors fro people before. Getting friends to make bids etc

I’ve also heard of people looking to buy, and they send a few of their mates around on viewing day and site next door drinking cans on the road with car radios blaring.

All rumors though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Probably the same people who dial 999 for fun . Idiots

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Youd need to go to viewings and engage with the estate agent. All of which takes time and is hassle. There are easiwr ways to entertain yourself, I wouldve thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I've heard of people "spotting" property. Mainly investors bidding on several properties at the same time with no real intention of buying, in case their chosen one falls through. Pain in the a*se.

In auctions sometimes to try drive up the price on purpose for the vendor

Never heard of anyone doing it for pure divilment though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I have heard of friends sticking in separate bids just to make sure the estate agent is telling everyone the same story. Amazing how often the shysters are caught out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've spoken to a couple of estate agents lately and they have all said that they would only accept a bit along with proof of mortgage so someone bidding on a house "for the craic" is most likely nonsense.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Youd need to go to viewings and engage with the estate agent. All of which takes time and is hassle. There are easiwr ways to entertain yourself, I wouldve thought.

You’d need an internet connection for most of them though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EvolvedApe

Low bids are more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You need to prove you are a serious bidder. I was bidding on a property last year and had to show bank statements proving that I had cash to be a cash buyer or something from the lender stating that you had mortgage approval in principle before any bids were accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

kceire wrote: »

I’ve also heard of people looking to buy, and they send a few of their mates around on viewing day and site next door drinking cans on the road with car radios blaring.

All rumors though.

gave a friend a lift to a house in swords on a sat night once (at 3am) there was a viewing the next day . about 13-15years ago
    he emptied bags of empty cans and bottles all over the front garden in the hope of driving buyers away.

didn't work he was still outbid. we were about 25 and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,525 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Actual bids should be proven and full audit trail available to seller and all bidders, current system is open to massive fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I've spoken to a couple of estate agents lately and they have all said that they would only accept a bit along with proof of mortgage so someone bidding on a house "for the craic" is most likely nonsense.

I’ve never been asked for proof of AIP/mortgage when I was bidding on properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

fg1406 wrote: »
    I’ve never been asked for proof of AIP/mortgage when I was bidding on properties.

Similar story here. Only one out of six asked for proof of funds when we started bidding. We offered it to the others but they said it was ok. Personally I’d have preferred if they had asked for proof as it might have removed any time wasters i.e. those bidding with theoretical funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

We bought a year ago and in the whole process we weren't asked once for proof of funds, which I found pretty odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You need to prove you are a serious bidder. I was bidding on a property last year and had to show bank statements proving that I had cash to be a cash buyer or something from the lender stating that you had mortgage approval in principle before any bids were accepted
    In such circumstances be careful that you don't reveal the actual amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

kceire wrote: »

All rumors though.

I know someone who did this, instead he actually just paid a few local wineo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Victor wrote:
    In such circumstances be careful that you don't reveal the actual amount.

I've been at this 30 years. I wouldn't make a mistake like that :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread moved, new charter applies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I've heard of people "spotting" property. Mainly investors bidding on several properties at the same time with no real intention of buying, in case their chosen one falls through. Pain in the a*se.

you should check out the accomadation forum... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

This was moved from the A+P forum.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

This was moved from the A+P forum.

pwned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Balanadan wrote: »
    pwned

unlike all those houses you're bidding on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I know somebody who bid on a house before they had mortgage approval from the bank. Another party had opened the bidding and outbid the person I know, to the point where he dropped out of the running. That person paid more for the house than they ever should have as the person I know had no right to be bidding with no cash/mortgage approval. The system is appalling, but the person who won the bidding war will never know and is probably delighted with their purchase, even though they spent far more money than was necessary.

PS. The person I know wasn't doing this to be spiteful, was just hoping to win the bid in the time it took to get mortgage approval but it then went over their budget so was fruitless in the end.

Advertisement