Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't received notice of termination

Options
  • 22-07-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

I've been renting a property for 5 weeks shy of one year. The lease is for a year, so if I understood the information on citizens information.ie we're entitled to 5 weeks notice if the landlord doesn't want us to continue.

Anyway, 5 weeks began last week. We informed the letting agency about 2 weeks ago that'd we'd like to remain, according to them the landlord hasn't said anything yet. So since we haven't received the notice the correct many weeks in advance what does this mean for us?

Second question - what's the story with Part 4 tenancy? From what I understand it gives us the right to stay for as long as we want unless the landlord wants to use it for themselves or sell it. As far as I know the request needs to be given 4 weeks before the end of the lease. So could we just inform them that we want to do this and then stay on?

*"we" refers to myself and my girlfriend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Had similar question myself recently.

You have a part 4 tenancy so are entitled to remain unless the landlord decides to sell , move him or a family member in or do significant renovations.

There is no need for a new lease but letting agency may want one as they get a fee for doing it.

Loads of info on rtb site

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unless something is said, you should be able to continue as you are.

The agency just might ask you to sign a new lease. This commits you to living there for the duration of the new lease, although you can assign the lease to someone else. It suits most people to continue on the basis of the old lease and Part 4.

They are likely to look for more money. If you are in a Rent Pressure Zone https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones this is limited to 4% per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

So just for my own peace of mind - almost another week has passed and still nothing.

To clarify - I have informed the letting agency of my intention to stay on. They say they have not heard confirmation from the landlord, but, regardless of this, is it true that we are basically ok for the moment?

So even though the original lease says the end date is next month, we still can't just be asked to leave a week before that, right? Even if we don't receive anything in the mean time confirming we can stay on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

So even though the original lease says the end date is next month, we still can't just be asked to leave a week before that, right? Even if we don't receive anything in the mean time confirming we can stay on.

Correct. You are entitled to remain as you are, you are not obliged to sign a new lease either. Nor can you be charged an administration fee for a new lease. If the Landlord wishes to remove you, he will have to serve notice giving reasons sufficient to satisfy Section 34 of the Residential Tenancies Act.

Advertisement