Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infacol - you'll be shocked!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

MommaSarah wrote: »
    Oh, and by the way... and if chemicals are not scary, touch radium or polonium..... natural selection should work here.

Some chemicals are scary. That does not mean that all chemicals are scary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I presume you are breastfeeding OP (as you want natural route for your baby) so have a look at your diet. Some things you eat can cause wind in the baby.
    I found baby massage excellent, they teach you a clockwise tummy massage which clears trapped wind. You might be able to find a tutorial online. VHI (and probably others) cover the cost of baby massage course.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

I presume you are breastfeeding OP (as you want natural route for your baby) so have a look at your diet. Some things you eat can cause wind in the baby.
    I found baby massage excellent, they teach you a clockwise tummy massage which clears trapped wind. You might be able to find a tutorial online. VHI (and probably others) cover the cost of baby massage course.

I'll try massaging the baby, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Some people here have a real inferiority complex..... why are you posting the chemical composition of an egg??? The whole Universe is made up of chemical elements and compounds, didn't you notice?!

Stop wasting my time and ridiculing yourself by showing off what you know, as it only exposes your lack of understanding of the knowledge you have

Jesus why are you so rude? I've a newborn here and could forgive some crankiness from you but you are so rude to posters trying to put your mind at ease.

Personally I found infacolic made my baby more cranky than when I don't use it so it didn't work for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

tuxy wrote: »
    Good thing we have herd immunity

Except when people like you tell people not to get vaccinations. No more soapboxing in this forum. Vaccines work and save lives. Medical advice - especially bad medical advice will result in action.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

OP, we found nothing much worked for colic. It went at three months but it was tough going. We tried infacol, colief, and some sort of indigestion powder
    Some lessened the symptoms a bit but not much. We just did lots of baby-wearing and tummy massage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Our eldest suffered from 'colic', which is basically when doctors / public health nurses don't really know whats causing the non stop crying. We were Naive new parents and took all advice at face value.

after about 3 months of utter hell - I don't say this lightly - we were getting maybe an hour or so of sleep a night, and she was crying constantly, without any hint of drama I can say it was the biggest test of our marriage in the the 15 or so years we've been together. we forced the issue and demanded further investigation and got more tests done.

Turns out she was suffering from acute acid reflux, and any feed would result in hours of pain after. She was put on different formulas of Milk, with the consistency of ready brek, along with gaviscon, zantac and losec. Things came right pretty quickly, but i nearly became a chemist when it came to measuring out bottles etc.

I'm not saying all colic is reflux, but a babys cry is by nature, designed to appeal to our primal instinct to help and look after them. I'll never forget the feelings of helplessness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Oh, and by the way... and if chemicals are not scary, touch radium or polonium..... natural selection should work here.

Try chlorine or sodium on their own, they'll kill you

You can't live without the compound though.

To borrow a phrase "go educate yourself"

You might want to read up on natural selection too, that's not quite how it works ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

M5 wrote: »
    Try chlorine or sodium on their own, they'll kill you

You can't live without the compound though.

To borrow a phrase "go educate yourself"

You might want to read up on natural selection too, that's not quite how it works ;)

Oh yes? I checked wikipedia and I can confirm I used this term correctly according to the context:

Natural selection is a central concept of evolution. The English biologist Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace, and is sometimes called the survival of the fittest.

(. . . ) The next generation comes from those that survive and reproduce. The elimination is caused by the relative fit between the individuals and the environment they live in. After many generations, the population has more helpful genetic differences, and fewer harmful ones.[2] Natural selection is really a process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Our eldest suffered from 'colic', which is basically when doctors / public health nurses don't really know whats causing the non stop crying. We were Naive new parents and took all advice at face value.

after about 3 months of utter hell - I don't say this lightly - we were getting maybe an hour or so of sleep a night, and she was crying constantly, without any hint of drama I can say it was the biggest test of our marriage in the the 15 or so years we've been together. we forced the issue and demanded further investigation and got more tests done.

Turns out she was suffering from acute acid reflux, and any feed would result in hours of pain after. She was put on different formulas of Milk, with the consistency of ready brek, along with gaviscon, zantac and losec. Things came right pretty quickly, but i nearly became a chemist when it came to measuring out bottles etc.

I'm not saying all colic is reflux, but a babys cry is by nature, designed to appeal to our primal instinct to help and look after them. I'll never forget the feelings of helplessness.

To add to this, reflux can be caused by food intolerances too, if bottle fed that would be lactose or milk protein, or if Breast feeding there’s soya, gluten, eggs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

I understand you probably want to continue with the breastfeeding but why not change onto a formula. My 2 boys got colic and we swapped both on Aptamil Comfort and it sorted them both out. Colic is hard on both parent and baby and honestly it can last for 3 months and is something I know myself I could not cope with.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Closing thread until I am at a computer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement