Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop battery not charging

Options
  • 22-07-2018 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

My laptop, a Toshiba Tecra running W10 pro., has recently developed a problem where the battery does not charge. On connection to mains it charges for a short while and then stops charging. The taskbar shows the battery level and time remaining to full charge etc. etc.

I have removed the battery, connected the laptop to mains power, uninstalled the ACPI driver, powered off the laptop, installed the battery and connected to mains, restarted but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

ED E wrote: »

The Toshiba Utility Tool did not detect any issues here. I presume it is somehow related to similar issues outlined in various online forums but the fix outlined there did not work for me, hence reason for my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how old is the laptop as manufacturers normally only give a 1 yeat warranty as they are considered consumables so you may have to replace

Skerries wrote: »
    how old is the laptop as manufacturers normally only give a 1 yeat warranty as they are considered consumables so you may have to replace

It is not within the warranty period but most definitely not in need of replacement. There appears to be an issue in general with batteries not charging after some W10 update, this has only surfaced in the last 4 days for me, so too early to reset to a previous system setting as I am sure that a fix will be available shortly.

Charger control and charging is done in hardware. Updates could only impact W10s ability to read the battery state not change its operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Have you tried hidden "Battery Report" feature in Windows 10 to see if there are any flags
    1. First, open a PowerShell window. Press Windows+X and choose “PowerShell” from the Power User menu.
    2. At the PowerShell prompt, type the following command, and then press Enter:

powercfg /batteryreport
    3. This command saves a battery report in HTML format to the following location:

C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\battery report.html

Just head to your user directory in a File Explorer window and double-click the file to open it in your default browser.

The “Installed Batteries” section shows you information about your installed batteries, and you’ll only see one battery on most devices. Battery information includes the name, manufacturer, serial number, and chemistry type of the battery.

The most important details here, though, are the design capacity, full charge capacity, and cycle count numbers.

Full instructions can be found here https://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/

This wont fix your problem but may identify if there is a hardware issue with the battery itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

cunavalos wrote: »
    Have you tried hidden "Battery Report" feature in Windows 10 to see if there are any flags

The “Installed Batteries” section shows you information about your installed batteries, and you’ll only see one battery on most devices. Battery information includes the name, manufacturer, serial number, and chemistry type of the battery.

The most important details here, though, are the design capacity, full charge capacity, and cycle count numbers.

Full instructions can be found here https://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/

This wont fix your problem but may identify if there is a hardware issue with the battery itself

Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this facility. Generated report, results of which are:

Design Capacity 65,934 mWh
    Full Charge Capacity 62,294 mWh
    Cycle Count -

Unfortunately, I do not understand what these mean - can you please help?

Thank you.

Thanks for this, my laptop does not fall within these categories.

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of this facility. Generated report, results of which are:

Design Capacity 65,934 mWh
    Full Charge Capacity 62,294 mWh
    Cycle Count -

Unfortunately, I do not understand what these mean - can you please help?

Thank you.

Its at 99% rated capacity - AKA working fine.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Its at 99% rated capacity - AKA working fine.

Thanks for that, does that suggest/mean that there is not an issue with the battery? I note that the cycle count was not measured, ran the test on two occasions but no result for cycle count.

The laptop may not have the chip to count cycles or it might just mean Windows can't read the value.

Boot Ubuntu off a USB - see if the battery performs normally like that. Then its just Windows being Windows (Untested prior to deployment).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭pah

Have you tried another charger which you know is good?

I had an alienware m17xr3 that was intermittently charging/not charging for a while then just stopped charging the battery. I swapped out the charger and it began to charge the battery perfectly again. The wiring had gone funky from a bend at the connection with the transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My laptop, a Toshiba Tecra running W10 pro., has recently developed a problem where the battery does not charge. On connection to mains it charges for a short while and then stops charging. The taskbar shows the battery level and time remaining to full charge etc. etc.

I have removed the battery, connected the laptop to mains power, uninstalled the ACPI driver, powered off the laptop, installed the battery and connected to mains, restarted but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

Have you tried the laptop on battery only for a long period to see how long the battery lasts?

It appears you doubt the battery only because of what Windows is telling you ....... that might not be correct. ;)

Have you tried the laptop on battery only for a long period to see how long the battery lasts?

It appears you doubt the battery only because of what Windows is telling you ....... that might not be correct. ;)

On continuous runs, the battery lasts in excess 5 hours, but unusual for me to run for this length of time on a continuous basis. Usually, use laptop for periods of approx. 1 or 2 hours / day. The battery usually needs recharging once per week.

I am not sure at this stage what to doubt, I do know however that the system countdown indicator is consistent with the actual battery level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

On continuous runs, the battery lasts in excess 5 hours, but unusual for me to run for this length of time on a continuous basis. Usually, use laptop for periods of approx. 1 or 2 hours / day. The battery usually needs recharging once per week.

I am not sure at this stage what to doubt, I do know however that the system countdown indicator is consistent with the actual battery level.

That would imply to me that the battery is correctly charging and that what is being reported from Windows is false.

That would imply to me that the battery is correctly charging and that what is being reported from Windows is false.

See my previous post " I am not sure at this stage what to doubt, I do know however that the system countdown indicator is consistent with the actual battery level."

Advertisement