Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some wet weather gear advice?

Options
  • 22-07-2018 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭

started commuting to work by bike last week , got wet going in on Friday which was grand but my trainers were still soaking at the end of the the day. Office is air conditioned so no radiators to leave them beside. What other shoe options are available or brands to recommend? i'd happily wear a pair of hiking sandals i have but probably would be a bit cold in the winter

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

One option, don’t commute in your work clothes. Bring in, or leave in, work clothes and cycle in clothes/footwear that are most suitable for that. For those of us who need to dress up for work it’s a necessity anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Zen0 wrote: »
    One option, don’t commute in your work clothes. Bring in, or leave in, work clothes and cycle in clothes/footwear that are most suitable for that. For those of us who need to dress up for work it’s a necessity anyway.

i had a change of everything with me, im not a savage :pac: , i had my trainers under my desk but thy didnt dry during the day. i'd like to avoid changing back into damps runners going home. i could leave a second pair at work i guess

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Scrunched up newspaper inside them while drying. Overshoes may help, but they're not 100% waterproof in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Scrunched up newspaper inside them while drying. Overshoes may help, but they're not 100% waterproof in my experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Came here to say the newspaper thing. It's the best thing for shoes. Putting them on radiator makes them stink a bit too I find, newspaper though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Buy wellies and cut them to just above ankle level.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Not sure of your distance but youll find cycling gear most comfortable and then change. Any good cycling raingear will keep you dry and rain covers for runners are really cheap and work really well keeping the shoe mostly dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

As has been said - newspapers. I always keep a stash at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

silverharp wrote: »
    i'd happily wear a pair of hiking sandals i have but probably would be a bit cold in the winter

I wear cycling sandals year round. Sealskinz waterproof thermal socks in the wintertime (with a second pair if it's very cold). No worries in the rain, it rains, sandals get wet, it stops raining, sandals dry out in no time.

I'd recommend cycling sandals rather than hiking as the cycling ones have a rigid sole which is better for your foot on the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Shoe covers will keep your shoes much drier (not completely mind you!). I use Endura Luminites for my commute - easy to get on/off!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-luminite-ii-overshoe-2017/rp-prod107383

• Advertisement
Advertisement