Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White vans spotted going around trying to abduct kids

• 22-07-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

Every now and again i’ll see someone share a post on Facebook that a (usually) white van was spotted going around a housing estate and spoke to some children or attempted to abduct them... given that there’s actually very few abdications of children, are most of these stories a load of nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Id use an ice cream van with a large net.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Someone in a white van offer's a free baby sitting service and social media loses its mind :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Anduct? Abdications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Most of these white vans are owned by parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

sexmag wrote: »
    Anduct? Abdications?

Abduct, as mentioned in the rest of my post

Get fingers! Could a mod please change!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

More like they are scoping out potential places to rob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Fcuk! I've been rumbled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Abduct, as mentioned in the rest of my post

Get fingers! Could a mod please change!

Abdication means to renounce a throne....few kids been abdicated where you live?

You can edit the post by hitting edit.

You can edit the title on pc view by clicking to the right of the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Hysterical dumb mother's with too much time on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Fcuk! I've been rumbled!

Dont you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

White van you say? White supremicist pedophiles, the worst kind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Listen if they can also clean gutters and lay a drive in return then I'm okay with losing the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've seen these things shared the odd time and similar posted by people. They are generally from the locals who'd have always being hysterical about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've seen on the BBC world news recently a lot of people have been lynched in parts of India due to these kind of nonsense posts going viral on Wattsapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I saw a Facebook page last week dedicated to getting the government to stop giving the proven to be safe HPV vaccine. When anyone asked for medical proof to back up their claims or just disagreed the principle their post were deleted. So you have a dedicated fake news Facebook page editing or deleting posts to make it look like the page is correct

Facebook is full of crack pots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This is what happens when 'the disadvantaged in society' have access to internet services.

I guess some of you have seen what is currently going on in India where rumours are spread via WhatsApp that there is a child abductor in the area where the villagers head out to find them and slaughter them in the streets. Not just one but many innocent men have died pleading for their lives such that WhatsApp have had to curtail message forwarding and even turn off internet service altogether in an attempt to quell the hysteria. It's mind-boggling how stupid ppl can be and what they will do as a result.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0720/980012-whatsapp-india/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-44709103

No doubt we have the same type of ppl here in Ireland, the sort who attack ppl on the street because they look like a picture of a guy they saw in the press who is actually a nonce, as we saw in Kildare last year, and showed no remorse for their actions even when they knew they were in the wrong.

The social media giants sure do have a big problem on their hands when they are being held to account for these types of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

Every now and again i’ll see someone share a post on Facebook that a (usually) white van was spotted going around a housing estate and spoke to some children or attempted to abduct them... given that there’s actually very few abdications of children, are most of these stories a load of nonsense?

Yes.

Most of the people who put up those posts are genuinely nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

And this is why my sister is too scared to let my neice out of the house alone, so she spends the summers of her childhood such indoors playing video games and messing about on social media.

Wonderful service these insecure lying screaming scaremongering nutjobs are providing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

And this is why my sister is too scared to let my neice out of the house alone, so she spends the summers of her childhood such indoors playing video games and messing about on social media.

Over 95 percent of child sex abuse is buy family members or very close friends of the family. I'm not saying don't worry about your kids while out of the house but statistically as far as abuse is concerned they are safer out playing then with family members.

Sometimes people worry too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Listen if they can also clean gutters and lay a drive in return then I'm okay with losing the kids.
    V good

I've seen these things shared the odd time and similar posted by people. They are generally from the locals who'd have always being hysterical about things.
    In the valley we have local shops for local people,don't like stranger's

AllForIt wrote: »
    This is what happens when 'the disadvantaged in society' have access to internet services.

I guess some of you have seen what is currently going on in India where rumours are spread via WhatsApp that there is a child abductor in the area where the villagers head out to find them and slaughter them in the streets. Not just one but many innocent men have died pleading for their lives such that WhatsApp have had to curtail message forwarding and even turn off internet service altogether in an attempt to quell the hysteria. It's mind-boggling how stupid ppl can be and what they will do as a result.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0720/980012-whatsapp-india/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-44709103

No doubt we have the same type of ppl here in Ireland, the sort who attack ppl on the street because they look like a picture of a guy they saw in the press who is actually a nonce, as we saw in Kildare last year, and showed no remorse for their actions even when they knew they were in the wrong.

The social media giants sure do have a big problem on their hands when they are being held to account for these types of things.
    Good points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Considering the amount of attempted abductions we see shared on Facebook I can safely say that Ireland has the worst child kidnappers in the world. Thousands of attempts and 100% failure rate by the looks of things.

It's simply a case of people with far too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

All these social media apps like Facebook and twatter are the absolute f**king pits man. People can have access to a goldmine of knowledge, culture, any subject they have or had a interest in with internet access, but it seems a good majority are non stop stuck on these f**king things looking for the next thing to get worked up over and start acting like they're their own Brasseye style tv news channel. A few years ago one of these mopes was going around like a demented lunatic showing everyone this headline post of facewank - and this was literally the headline -"Terrorists plan to disguise themselves as furniture to smuggle themselves into the country"

Kill your facebook

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's up there with UFO sightings, almost everyone has a smart phone to photo these vans yet there's no evidence. It's the same as those ultra tools who forward on virus warnings to you that are clearly piss takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

It's up their with UFO sightings, almost everyone has a smart phone to photo these vans yet there's no evidence. It's the same as those ultra tools who forward on virus warnings to you that are clearly piss takes.

Well Guard told me last night at a checkpoint that a virus disguised as a video was coming out today, and tell everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember a few years ago it was big on Facebook that Larry Murphy was in every town/village in Ireland sometimes seen at mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I remember a few years ago it was big on Facebook that Larry Murphy was in every town/village in Ireland sometimes seen at mass.

I'm still seeing the Larry Murphy posts along with the white van posts and the random guy on the bus tried to photo up my skirt posts, not to mention the "I was spiked in (insert bar here) and it's the bars fault" posts.

A poor fella nearly got beaten up by a mob last year because he looked like a pedophile shared on Facebook. Someone followed him doing a live Facebook broadcast. Within minutes there were dozens of people shouting for his blood. Poor fella got onto Joe Duffy next day to give his real name and to try clear his name. Gardai verified his real name & he definitely wasn't the sex offender people thought he was.

Very scary stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

SeaFields wrote: »
    I'm still seeing the Larry Murphy posts along with the white van posts and the random guy on the bus tried to photo up my skirt posts, not to mention the "I was spiked in (insert bar here) and it's the bars fault" posts.

My drink was spiked after 30 units of alcohol brigade...I only had de half bottle o'vodka before I went out Joe and I was drugged and dat so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

There was one of these out my way recently where a four year old kid told their mam it was a silver coloured Ford Transit.

4 year old knew it was a Ford transit?
    Fair play to that kid

Mother put up a hysterical post about the ford transit and a load of details that when you read them you just said no way did that happen

Pretty sure the kid was offered sweets too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

buried wrote: »
    All these social media apps like Facebook and twatter are the absolute f**king pits man. People can have access to a goldmine of knowledge, culture, any subject they have or had a interest in with internet access, but it seems a good majority are non stop stuck on these f**king things looking for the next thing to get worked up over and start acting like they're their own Brasseye style tv news channel. A few years ago one of these mopes was going around like a demented lunatic showing everyone this headline post of facewank - and this was literally the headline -"Terrorists plan to disguise themselves as furniture to smuggle themselves into the country"

Kill your facebook

'This pedophile in Sheffield disguised himself as a school - he's been getting away with it for years...."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hysterical dumb mother's with too much time on social media

PM me hun. Nuttin but snakes here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

The same type of idiots as this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

Too many full time mammies with time on their dopey hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I always thought it was hysterical crap until there was an attempted abduction of a ten year old boy in the housing estate next to our one a few years ago.
    It was all over a local Facebook group page the next day and I did think it was bull tbh.
    A few weeks later I happened to be speaking to a Garda who said it was true and they'd arrested him on the same evening at home with his wife and children.
    Only difference is he was driving a BMW and not a white van 😱

Advertisement